• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2016/17 Other A-League Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevor

I know it's late, but man it was beautiful watching timmy get sent off and MCY suffer a goal that people don't understand :p
I'm with Big Al, Berisha clearly interfered with the play as he was clearly tracking the cross and both defender and keeper knew he was there and defender played at the ball due to his position. The fact Berisha moved towards the ball it's interference and off side. Geria needed to run past him to put him back on side which didn't happen. I get that Muscat played at the ball but the AR had this one right. Only watched the replay of this game yesterday and it's just another very inconsistent performance by Chris Beath this season. He has not performed well as a number one Ref this year.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The fact Berisha moved towards the ball it's interference and off side. Geria needed to run past him to put him back on side which didn't happen.
Influencing a defender's decision - such as, by dragging them out of position to mark the offside attacker or by influencing them to play the ball, doesn't constitute interference. Interference needs to be impacting their ability to play the ball - FIFA made it clear with the offside law changes a few seasons ago that they don't want referees to be mindreaders and thinking that a decision was only made because of a player's position, and that a poor decision by the defender is simply their own problem.

So, given Muscat wasn't impacted by a direct challenged, there's no possible way he was interfered with. Knowing that you should do something because somebody else is nearby isn't the same as that person actually interfering with you. Without the law being like this, we get into the situation where offside may or may not be called just because a defender is marking an offside attacker. Not great territory. Having said that, I'm more trying to point out how it 'is' rather than how it 'should' be :)

Though concerning, I see too many AR's in the HAL give an 'early flag' for 'passive offside'.

All that leaves us is interference with the goalkeeper - but given that the keeper wasn't clearly seen to change his position because of Berisha's challenge (the LOTG this season give some leeway for when an attacker's deliberate action is clearly impacting upon a defender, usually the keeper) - ie it was the position to block the ball anyway - and it was the defender putting the ball to the other side of him that was the problem, I don't think Berisha prevented him from playing the ball.

But, that is moot. Muscat played the ball - so even if the keeper was interfered with, that occurred afterwards. Once a defender plays the ball, offside is nullified - even if it's a misplay.

What sucks is you know when you make a desperate lunge for a ball going past you and you get a toe on it and it goes past you anyway, or when you try to head the ball but can't jump high enough, skims off the top of your head and goes to the attacker 15 yards offside? He can now play that ball with the new LOTG. Which is going to be a lot of fun at local level.

Also thought the city goal in the FFA cup was interference as well so they evened up.

That was a very different scenario though - blocking the keeper's view on a shot constitutes interference, and I agree that the keeper's view was blocked there but apparently the referee didn't think Cahill was in line with the kick.

As for Cahill's red card - the problem that always arises with red cards for OFFINABUS (and yellow for dissent, for that matter) is that there's so much that's let go that when they are pulled up, it's inconsistent. Calling a ref a f****** disgrace, as he did, certainly warrants a red - but it highlights how many times referees have been called worse in the HAL without so much as a comment. Personally - and I say this as a spectator as well as ex-ref - I'd love to see a firmer hand on this sort of malarkey. Just look at the players mobbing the ref/AR to clearly see just how badly we need to be stamping down on this. Beath shouldn't have to spend that long just getting players to go away so he can have a discussion with his AR - but it's the standard that, unfortunately, has been set in the HAL.

Though I was disappointed to see that no action was taken against Berisha for throwing the ball at Bouzanis after the goal. Inexcusable from the officials. And inexcusable - though not surprising - from that diving thug with the most punchable face in the league.

dibo

A defender who leaves a ball on the near post gets hooked. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head so he can't know what's behind him and he can't wait for a call, he's just got to play at it no matter whether Berisha is waiting with bated breath or off having a capuccino.

Big Al

Influencing a defender's decision - such as, by dragging them out of position to mark the offside attacker or by influencing them to play the ball, doesn't constitute interference. Interference needs to be impacting their ability to play the ball - FIFA made it clear with the offside law changes a few seasons ago that they don't want referees to be mindreaders and thinking that a decision was only made because of a player's position, and that a poor decision by the defender is simply their own problem.

So, given Muscat wasn't impacted by a direct challenged, there's no possible way he was interfered with. Knowing that you should do something because somebody else is nearby isn't the same as that person actually interfering with you. Without the law being like this, we get into the situation where offside may or may not be called just because a defender is marking an offside attacker. Not great territory. Having said that, I'm more trying to point out how it 'is' rather than how it 'should' be :)

Though concerning, I see too many AR's in the HAL give an 'early flag' for 'passive offside'.

All that leaves us is interference with the goalkeeper - but given that the keeper wasn't clearly seen to change his position because of Berisha's challenge (the LOTG this season give some leeway for when an attacker's deliberate action is clearly impacting upon a defender, usually the keeper) - ie it was the position to block the ball anyway - and it was the defender putting the ball to the other side of him that was the problem, I don't think Berisha prevented him from playing the ball.

But, that is moot. Muscat played the ball - so even if the keeper was interfered with, that occurred afterwards. Once a defender plays the ball, offside is nullified - even if it's a misplay.

What sucks is you know when you make a desperate lunge for a ball going past you and you get a toe on it and it goes past you anyway, or when you try to head the ball but can't jump high enough, skims off the top of your head and goes to the attacker 15 yards offside? He can now play that ball with the new LOTG. Which is going to be a lot of fun at local level.

That was a very different scenario though - blocking the keeper's view on a shot constitutes interference, and I agree that the keeper's view was blocked there but apparently the referee didn't think Cahill was in line with the kick.

As for Cahill's red card - the problem that always arises with red cards for OFFINABUS (and yellow for dissent, for that matter) is that there's so much that's let go that when they are pulled up, it's inconsistent. Calling a ref a f****** disgrace, as he did, certainly warrants a red - but it highlights how many times referees have been called worse in the HAL without so much as a comment. Personally - and I say this as a spectator as well as ex-ref - I'd love to see a firmer hand on this sort of malarkey. Just look at the players mobbing the ref/AR to clearly see just how badly we need to be stamping down on this. Beath shouldn't have to spend that long just getting players to go away so he can have a discussion with his AR - but it's the standard that, unfortunately, has been set in the HAL.

Though I was disappointed to see that no action was taken against Berisha for throwing the ball at Bouzanis after the goal. Inexcusable from the officials. And inexcusable - though not surprising - from that diving thug with the most punchable face in the league.
Should be your offside your offside. No goal if you are offside full stop. That will get the buggers to get back instead of playing in deliberate offside positions that they do now.

Like the Bingham goal against Perth. I hate the it touched a defender rule. If your offside for your own team then you should be for them to.
Getting a touch shouldn't be enough

Anyway I get your point but just don't like it but it is what it is

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Do you really want to see a goal disallowed because an attacker got caught a yard behind the sweeper 30 yards to the side of play?
I do hate the 'defender played it' rule. I think it's stupid and it shows the lawmakers don't understand the game. Defenders shouldn't be punished for making a desperate lunge to stop a ball they can't quite reach. FIFA have the position that it's their fault for playing the ball when the attacker is in an offside position - which is just stupid; defenders don't have a clue who is offside and who isn't (though they think they do :p) and they can't be expected to make a decision to let a ball go through to an unmarked striker based on that.

I'm genuinely glad I don't referee anymore because of that - I'd HATE to be on the line, holding the flag down because a defender stuck his leg out and touched the ball.

IMO, unless the defender controlled it, it shouldn't be nullified. Not 'he should have controlled it at his level' (which is sort of how it was a few years back).

The way the law stands - if Berisha actually touched the ball after Muscat, then scored - it would still have been a legit goal.

Although it's kind of funny - the number of times I've hard O/35 players scream at me "can't be offside! he touched it!".....knowing O35 players they're the same ones who this season will be screaming "so what if he touched it?"
:p

Of course that depends on how CCF are going to coach the referees on it; I was interested to note that the undershorts and sock tape laws are completely ignored in CCF, so I would be curious if the offside application locally will change in accordance with the laws. Though if they do try to keep application of the law updated, of course you still have the problem of the referees who are stuck with old interpretations....

Blackadder

So Adelaide got thumped 5-0 at home , where are the calls by Fox for promotion/relegation or does that only apply if the Mariners are last?

Big Al

It's only 35 and feels like 40 in Gosford
They should of made the scum play and fatigue them for the next couple of weeks

Don't know why FFA are so scared of having two games at the same time. I know they bow down to fox but could have on two channels then replay on the opposite channel.

Fans on Saturday when really hot will still be better than a Monday night during the school term. I'd be pissed if I were Lawrie

They could of done 6.30 and 8.30 it's Saturday night won't hurt for one night

An hour later and it's got even hotter. 36.9. Degrees and feels like 44 at 4.40pm FFA got it right

Getting hotter late in the day

5.00pm 37.8 and feels like 45.3

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

So Adelaide got thumped 5-0 at home , where are the calls by Fox for promotion/relegation or does that only apply if the Mariners are last?
Only if we're last. Anybody who calls for us to be out of the league because we have 1 wooden spoon is, by default, too stupid to listen to - every season needs a wooden spooner after all.
just the usual shit we've copped since before the first kick-off.

Big Al

This ref is having a shocker
No way a pen and then dead set certainty for city not given

AF's happy its not them again

Big Al

Jets draw with Victory to continue Victorys poor form against Jets

Jets were the better team for me and won't be an easy derby in two weeks time but if Victory play like that again we can take them

JoyfulPenguin

Victory looked drained from the derby, they barely had a ball into the box and their movement was horrendous. Neither side played well and the only player who had any kind of energy was Hoole. Austin's failure to track back let Hoole have way too much space that any decent side would have punished. Nobody could keep possession for long and Nordstrand was horrific, should have easily had two goals and an assist but fluffed his lines every time.

Wombat

Muscut reckons it's an atmosphere thing. They so used to big crowds they can't handle an empty shithole

Hmmm......i'm thinking thats a joke.
I read something similar on the drivebys site as an excuse to why we beat them. Pretty pathetic that they got 2000 more for a local derby (yes, i know NOBOBY says oh great the Mariners are coming...im not missing this one!) than we got for a visit from Perth.

Tevor

SFC fans are clearly over winning all the time and have decided to stop attending games as it is a bit of a bore. Their recent crowds have been rubbish.

dibo

Last two games were a Friday night against the bottom side (11k) and a Thursday night against the third from bottom side (9k). Thursdays and Fridays are bad for them - it's Saturdays where they really do well, and neither Adelaide nor Wellington are drawcards.

Since Wanderers came in, their crowd average has been 17.5k. Taking out holiday games between Christmas and New Year, they average 10k on Thursdays and 13k on Fridays.

Their coming games are two Fridays (Victory and us) and then two Saturday games (Tim Cahill, supported by Melbourne City, and the Jets). They should go OK in all of those games.

This season's average is still 17k, so they're not doing terribly. They could do with a bit of pumping up in the media though. They're currently tracking with best points, GD and goals conceded per game in A-League history. They're only bettered on goals per game by City last year - 2.16 per game vs 2.33.

Arnie has 5 sides in the top 12 on points per game:
1. SFC 16/17
6. CCM 12/13
9. CCM 10/11
=11. SFC 14/15
=11. CCM 11/12

They should pump them up harder. This is a special team, people should go watch them while they can. Build the bandwagon.

Big Al

Hmmm......i'm thinking thats a joke.
I read something similar on the drivebys site as an excuse to why we beat them. Pretty pathetic that they got 2000 more for a local derby (yes, i know NOBOBY says oh great the Mariners are coming...im not missing this one!) than we got for a visit from Perth.
Muscat said seriously I've had to have a chat with them we are used tio hyped up big games and we struggle coming here without that.

pjennings

That's the problem with hiring a 34 year old marquee though...

Those talented but fringe foreign players still with a few of their best years left like... Berisha, Fornaroli, Martinez, Dutchy, Roy, Monty (was at the least)... that's where it's at. Hoping Okon is well connected and has a bunch of players/targets in mind already.

Dutchy was signed as a 35 year old I think and still played for a few years. I think there are some players whose class means they can still be very valuable at the older age, especially if they are still playing at a high level.

An example would be Xabi Alonso, while he is retiring from the Bundesliga this year is the type of player I would love someone in Australia to convince to play another couple of years. A World Cup winner, twice European Champion, twice Champions League winner and a La Liga Champion and still playing regularly at league leading Bayern Munich in one of the leading leagues in the world.

Big Al

Dutchy was signed as a 35 year old I think and still played for a few years. I think there are some players whose class means they can still be very valuable at the older age, especially if they are still playing at a high level.

An example would be Xabi Alonso, while he is retiring from the Bundesliga this year is the type of player I would love someone in Australia to convince to play another couple of years. A World Cup winner, twice European Champion, twice Champions League winner and a La Liga Champion and still playing regularly at league leading Bayern Munich in one of the leading leagues in the world.
ADP was technically superior which made up for his aging legs but had a poor team around him.
However your CB needs pace so need to be careful
Not sure how old Del Pierre was last year for Victory but he was fantastic and if they could have convinced him of an extra year which he was more than capable of would of been awesome getting two seasons out of him for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred