• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2016/17 Membership

Shaun Mielekamp

Hi Everyone

I am intrigued by the discussion here and the amount of assumptions people are making on the clubs behalf. I noticed some quotes and references to the recent media but somehow no-one posted the main point:

"Our home will always be at Gosford ... but we're keen to grow partnerships that aren't at the detriment to our base on the Central Coast."

Our ability to genuinely work with a huge football market that does not come at the detriment to us locally is the strategy. No conspiracy or hidden agenda's simply put the opportunity for us to gain new members, new sponsors, new fans, new potential players and growth in our exposure and brand awareness we can provide our current partners when balanced up with the stadium deal offered to us for a 2nd match makes perfect financial and strategic sense.

The cost for us to have a match a Gosford has well been reported and to be looking at a match vs Adelaide that was back to back following on from a game against Perth was always going to be a challenge that is now avoided for us.

I am very keen to get your thoughts and answer all your questions here, whilst there is commercial confidence in contractual agreements I will be happy to answer as much as I can on the topic here.

Rowdy

'Focus' implies visiting the East Gosford Rams or Wyoming Tigers more than once every 2 years.

Innovate and develop other ways to interact with the local clubs and build real, long-lasting relationships.

Cradle to grave.

FFC Mariner

Focus means the relationship with CCF and the boards of the clubs.

As an example, clubs organise presentation dinners to clash with home games. (Kariong). They either saw the clashes and ignored CCM or ignored CCM completely.

Dont forget too, a lot of parents with kids who play arent football people at all, they didnt want them playing Union or league.

Rowdy

The cost for us to have a match a Gosford has well been reported and to be looking at a match vs Adelaide that was back to back following on from a game against Perth was always going to be a challenge that is now avoided for us.

What's the challenge of playing back to back home games, especially when the 2nd is against Adelaide ?

Who wouldnt want to see their team play last years Champions ?

Rowdy

when balanced up with the stadium deal offered to us for a 2nd match makes perfect financial and strategic sense.

If CCM is getting paid for the 1st game in Canberra BUT then using that same money to cover the costs for the 2nd game (because the ACT doesn't have the budget to pay), how does that make financial strategic sense ???

Seems a case of earning from Peter, to then pay Peter.

Rowdy

As an example, clubs organise presentation dinners to clash with home games. (Kariong). They either saw the clashes and ignored CCM or ignored CCM completely.
If the relationship was stronger, this mightn't occur.
Dont forget too, a lot of parents with kids who play arent football people at all, they didnt want them playing Union or league.

& This is the ground that needs to be won.

Extoll the benefits that can come from taking your kids sport and turning it into a family activity, that can then lead to it being a tradition, past down to their kid's - kid's.

The values you can teach your kids (like loyalty for one) in following a Football team forever, and that the highs & lows they'll experience following that Football Team can reflect the high's & lows they'll face in life themselves.

Hearts & minds

Last edited:

Shaun Mielekamp

Focus means the relationship with CCF and the boards of the clubs.

I am not sure if you are aware but not only is my wife of the board of Kariong but Carly Carmichael our community manager is also on the board of Kariong Cougars. I was at the presentation night last year which did not clash with the home game? I coach the women's Div1 team there - I know we have a pretty good relationship with Kariong.

The clash happen a couple years ago simply because Kariong had to book a venue before the draw was released and had no option to change the date once the draw landed with a home game in round 1? Nothing could have been done there by either the Cougars or the Mariners.

I actually cannot believe what I am reading here in regards to focus. What are the expectations that you guys have for the club here and where did you get them from? Just so you know the other Sydney A-league clubs do not do any full team appearances at local clubs, yet somehow they are applauded for the work they do in the community without ever having to go there?

We have a club representative in every local club that ensures each club receives a variety of tickets, half time games, mascots, signed jerseys, players ambassadors and plenty more. We discuss this with each club every year and of course things can always be improved but to in anyway imply that it is not a "focus" is simply someone who does not have all the information at their disposal.

If anyone wants to know exactly what we are doing for their club please email me directly shaunm@ccmariners.com.au and I will make sure you have more information.

I am just trying to gain some perspective here, is it just the case no matter what we do in this space we can never appease the appetite?

Shaun Mielekamp

If CCM is getting paid for the 1st game in Canberra BUT then using that same money to cover the costs for the 2nd game (because the ACT doesn't have the budget to pay), how does that make financial strategic sense ???

Seems a case of earning from Peter, to then pay Peter.
No this is not correct. The additional revenue that is generated from new memberships, ticket sales, sponsorship and venue F&B will cover the costs from the 2nd game.

The two matches financially are not connected in anyway apart from increasing our options to generate revenue.

If this match was held in Gosford these additional revenue streams would not be available to the club. If we were to take this match to Gosford the only way to cover the cost would have been to increase our membership prices which we have worked extremely hard to bring down as much as possible.

I hope you can see that this is an opportunity for the club to grow as well.

Shaun Mielekamp

What's the challenge of playing back to back home games, especially when the 2nd is against Adelaide ?

Who wouldnt want to see their team play last years Champions ?
The challenge is that the ticket sales and attendances are always lower on the 2nd match when they are back to back (unless playing a NSW opponent).

A simple example is that a family who goes to a Saturday night match is unlikely to purchase tickets to a Sunday match the following week. I have been given a direct quote from a member that "it is like going to the movies two weeks in a row, you might do it once a year but never three times?".

Manny_ccm

......I am just trying to gain some perspective here, is it just the case no matter what we do in this space we can never appease the appetite?

Yep, pretty accurately covers many of the negative posters on here who will never be satisfied and always find a downside to everything the club/team/players do or say.

pjennings

Hi Shaun

The other disconnect may be because the seasons no longer overlap. When we started in August I can remember my son's team going on a Saturday evening together after playing that day. That opportunity no longer exists.

Ancient Mariner

I am not sure if you are aware but not only is my wife of the board of Kariong but Carly Carmichael our community manager is also on the board of Kariong Cougars. I was at the presentation night last year which did not clash with the home game? I coach the women's Div1 team there - I know we have a pretty good relationship with Kariong.

The clash happen a couple years ago simply because Kariong had to book a venue before the draw was released and had no option to change the date once the draw landed with a home game in round 1? Nothing could have been done there by either the Cougars or the Mariners.

I actually cannot believe what I am reading here in regards to focus. What are the expectations that you guys have for the club here and where did you get them from? Just so you know the other Sydney A-league clubs do not do any full team appearances at local clubs, yet somehow they are applauded for the work they do in the community without ever having to go there?

We have a club representative in every local club that ensures each club receives a variety of tickets, half time games, mascots, signed jerseys, players ambassadors and plenty more. We discuss this with each club every year and of course things can always be improved but to in anyway imply that it is not a "focus" is simply someone who does not have all the information at their disposal.

If anyone wants to know exactly what we are doing for their club please email me directly shaunm@ccmariners.com.au and I will make sure you have more information.

I am just trying to gain some perspective here, is it just the case no matter what we do in this space we can never appease the appetite?

He can't help it Shaun he's from Fulham. :confused:

nebakke

Hi Shaun

The other disconnect may be because the seasons no longer overlap. When we started in August I can remember my son's team going on a Saturday evening together after playing that day. That opportunity no longer exists.

Bit of a funny thing though, because there used to be quite a bit of complaining (I think on here as well) about how the games would clash and people couldn't go see the Mariners because they were playing for their own clubs while CCM was playing... So which is better? Losing the potentially added attendance gained from knowing the peer-group is going after their own game, or losing potential attendance from fans playing their own games?

I'm guessing it's the latter tbh.

style_cafe

Just a sugestion Shaun:-
Start a Mariner`s diary thread on here telling everyone what the Mariners are proposing & what they have done.
ie: June: 1st Kariong P.S visit am. Pt.Claire P.S visit pm
Adam Kwasnik & 5 team members visited each school ,Over 100 kids per school attended a 2 hr clinic
200 tickets were given out at each school

2nd Tony Walmsley visited Taragal Glenn nursing home with 2 players to give a chat about the club ,what we do for the area & how to engage the older
members of the community.

That way everyone can see what is being done.

pjennings

I doubt that Shaun would have the time - but I'm sure that this could be part of the (social) media tasks. Whether it is done as a thread here or on the website (probably more appropriate) it is a good idea. :thumbup: I know we have constant stories on the website about engagement with the clubs, schools and communities but a diary would show just how much work is being done.

Rowdy

Thanks Shaun :) for your responses, but just a few clarifiers:
The two matches financially are not connected in anyway ...

What do you mean exactly when saying this?

The additional revenue that is generated from new memberships, ticket sales, sponsorship and venue F&B will cover the costs from the 2nd game.

This 'additional revenue generated ' that you say will 'cover the costs from for the 2nd game' :
• Is it rev. gener'td. from the 1st game ?
• The 2nd game?
• Or revenue generated from both games combined to be used to cover the cost of the 2nd game ?

Additionally, in regards to the 'new memberships', will the club classify the
'2-match pass' on offer to Canberran's as 'new memberships' ?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Wombat

Yep, pretty accurately covers many of the negative posters on here who will never be satisfied and always find a downside to everything the club/team/players do or say.

Too be fair there have been so many negatives over the last 2 years only Timmah can find the upside of losing 4.0 every week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred