• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R1: Mariners v Perth

Rowdy

Game of thrones theme, played by the Bay 16 Band.

"We're the Central Coast Mariners
We will always follow you
We're the Central Coast Mariners
Boys in Yellow and the Blue

Yellow is the colour that we follow with pride
We're in this together, we're on the same side
Yellow is the colour till the day that I die
The Marinerrrrs !! ( very deep tone)

As sung by the trumpeter in The Kendall pre-game.

(Edit) Note: The words to the song were printed & left on tables in the Kendall.

Was printed with the line 'till the day that we die', however the Trumpeter guy was singing 'till the day that I die' which rolls off the tongue a little easier imo.

Last edited:

Capt. Awesome

Gratis

Game of thrones theme, played by the Bay 16 Band.

"We're the Central Coastal Mariners
We will always follow you
We're the Central Coast Mariners
Boys in yellow and the Blue

Yellow is the colour that we follow with pride
We're in this together, we're on the same side
Yellow is the colour till the day I die
The Marinerrrrs !! ( very deep tone)

As sung by the trumpeter in The Kendall pre-game.
Cheers. be good to get it up on youtube at some point (it's early days I know) and give folks a chance to learn it

BaysideMariner

Was at the game and must say Caceres is class. Him alongside Monty was great to watch.
A few points of opinion from me.
- Austin can cross to the centre really well.
- Michael Oniell did not win once in the air but won many more on the ground.
- Roy ODonovan is a really hard worker off the ball.
- Our defence seemed to have the pace to catch up if they were beaten originally.
- Ferreria was a beast and he kept getting the crowd pumped up.
- Fernandez spent alot of time niggling Monty.
All in all. I am happy to hear how lucky we were or how crap Perth was. I just love a team playing with no care because they dont rate us.

MagpieMariner

Just got back from the game. That was the most entertaining game I have seen the Mariners play. Attack, attack, attack, I loved it. I also loved our high press in their half. Fabio, Austin, Caceres, McGing were super, but my MOM was Monty.
The score was mis-leading: if not for Covic (what a good keeper) we would have had 7.
If the team continues to play this way, we'll win many more than we lose. And if they continue this kind of play, I won't give a shit about the result, I will be mightily entertained regardless.
I bet all those "experts" who wrote us off as spooners are wishing they'd kept their stupid mouths shut. Even though it is still very early, we will not be last.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well...how good was that, well, defence was a bit dodgy at times, but all in all, a cracking game....young Austin was brilliant and has been dubbed King nutmeg, his glory opponent must be feeling stupid...mind you, everyone had a dig, great too watch, one can hope this the beginning of an upward trajectory....I would imagine Kenny Lowe wasn't a very happy camper on the bus back to terrigal (or the airport)..I know he looked thoroughly fkn annoyed on the side.
As for Fabio, we all knew he could play ...but today was phenomenal...I think we found our penalty taker, Royo the Boyo will have a few more in the account before the season is done too....cudos as well to Micky Neill, Monty A.C and Redders who was spectacular between the sticks
ROLL ON NEXT WEEK...#COYY

Mini In Bay 6

That was the best performance all round since a long time. Youngsters played very well, defence needs work, but more importantly chances were made. An thank Christ not 1 but 2 pens converted.

Even if we lost that I'd be happy. Like always have to covert on our chances, as we bottled a few. But hey, it's round 1, we won, life = good.

The league rates us as much as I rate Guyon Fernandez. Boy he was rubbish, thank god that is not my money he's wasting.

FFC Mariner

I'll preface this with Perth are a terrible side. Absolute pish.

However, we played the way TW said we would and our high press was starting to work well until we ran out of legs with about 10m to go.

Hunting in packs, snapping at them to win the ball back and playing with genuine width. Love it.

We may well cop some terrible hidings this season, our defence looks very creaky at times but if they attack like that and have a go, we are on the up.

Monty was immense, as was Caceres..

Haven't enjoyed a Marine research game so much for ages

Thank you

Luca Brasi

Ferk me that was electrifying, 3 up front and full on attack. The space in the midfield is what put the pressure on the back 4, allowed PG to run at them but they did pretty well. Monty was really important today, apparently a week ago he could hardly walk. TW is not much into tactical changes during the game, I would have at least turned the midfield triangle around with 10 to go, Reddy made 3 crucial saves during this time. I thought all played well however PG were awful, lots of arguing between Fernandez, Thwaite, Garcia & Castro during both halves. Crowd noise was great.

Wombat

Wow.....lovely to see us having a go and playing some lovely attacking Football.
Defence needs work and at 3.1 it's time to tighten up the midfield and please god don't let anything happen to Monty as he is absolutely crucial to us not getting sucker punched.
So much to like tonight and brilliant to see people happy and excited after 2 years of shite.
I will give player ratings tomorrow.
Just a few comments for now...reddy is superb, mcging looks like an awesome prospect, Monty is basically a legend, Austin was close to mom, fab once he switching on (basically the whole 2nd half) is unstoppable.

Thank you Tony.

style_cafe

A very enjoyable game & such a refreshing change from the negative stuff of recent times.
To me the attack was balanced for the first time in years.
To watch Austin, Fab & Stormy putting in quality crosses from both sides was just magic & there was genuine excitement every time we pushed forward.
Kudos to TW it was amazing to watch the transformation.

Every player gave 100% & despite missing so many shots at least we made the opportunities for ourselves.

As others have said, we were a bit "shakey" at the back however, in McGing I think TW has found a gem, he played so well on debut.
To think we still have Rosey & Bosnar in reserve too.

Generally though a very good start to the season & the 8,072 crowd wasn`t bad either.

Forum Phoenix

How good was that...

Well done TW, Hutcho and players. Clearly exciting times ahead. An especial thank you to Reddy for ensuring that 80 minutes of terrific football was not undone by a few tired minds and legs. And to Ferrerria for proving that in football you actually can score more pens than you miss.

The crowd was buzzed. Best Mariners game in a good while. And should be said it was not just the football taht was great, the commitment/effort was second to none. True CCM football. (Was sorry to see Poscos awesome lunge cost him a hammy tear) He may be small, and lack Dutchy's positioning and Wilko's poise, but he's super passionate and made some great cover runs that no other CB we've ever had could have made.

Finally we saw a lot of quality crosses coming in, some terrific balls by Austin (what a game). Mc Breen would have bagged a few I think - hopefully Heffernan will similarly prosper.

Also, though they seemed to run out of legs with ten to go, I also think a special shout out is due to Brice Johnson the new conditioning coach. Clearly the fitter of the two sides today and that was the fastest, and most consistently high tempo game I've ever watched the Mariners play. Truly fast and furious in both transition and when pressing (and as a unit hallelujah!). You can't play Walmsley's football without that. A really great job. Can't wait to see how we hold up against ROAR who have been typically the fittest side for mine, and one of the reasons why I think they have tended to be our bogey team.

Great match. Good crowd and I'm sure word of mouth will already begin to make an impact.

gull

This commentary is ridiculous though, all about how Perth are underdone or Perth are playing poorly. Nothing about how we have completely dominated them. Nice save by Reddy too :)

Yeah at the match without the commentary we totally owned them. They had no idea how to stop us in attack.

I was really surprised when I watched the replay and heard stuff like that. Oh, and apparently they were saving themselves for the FFA cup match - what utter garbage.

gull

It's hard not to think that something special is building after watching that game.

What I really loved was that the Mariners spirit was back again. We fought so hard for every ball, and every Perth player was surrounded each time they got the ball and had no where to go. It's amazing what some positivity and confidence can do to a team (are you listening Mossy?).

Caceres was MOTM for mine, and looked like a different player. Personally I have never rated him as an AM, but with the freedom he had last night we saw his true range of skills and he looks to be in for a great year.

Austin & McGing looked great too. Those crosses from Austin were fantastic. Rosey might have trouble getting back into the team with him and Neill playing so well.

While we were a little spacious in defence we finally have some pace at the back to cover the high press (at one point our last man was about 10 metres into their half!). Great composure from a young defence as well, and we will only improve.

The full on attacking approach is going to take some getting used to (I was sooo nervous at times), but it's going to be a fun season :thumbup:.

Wombat

I've had a chance to calm down after the excitement of last night. Perth were terrible but we were very good.

Reddy 8. 3 world class saves.
Roux 7.5. 6 for defence/9 for attack. Coaches need to teach him to always know where his player is and get him to practice defending crosses until it is second nature. Their goal was a carbon copy of a previous mistake around the 10th min mark. Did brilliantly in attack and created the 3rd penalty.
McGing 7.5. Very composed debut.
Posco 7.5. Quiet impressive.
Neill 7. Has great feet and tackles hard. Leaves his man too often and needs to work on his heading ability like Storm. However he is a real unpolished Gem and i think he will play for Australia one day.
Monty 8. Super game.
Austin 8. Super debut. Thought he could of run onto two balls that he let go over the sideline in the 2nd half but maybe he was exhausted. On that performance i would start him in front of Rosey at LM.
Fitzy 7. Did a lot of good stuff but he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. If he had scored the 2 relatively easy goals he shanked we would all be singing his praises. May have to give way to Heff when he is 100% HAL fit.
Caceras 8. Great game. He looked better on the tv than at the game as i remembered him taking quite a few wrong options. Shooting still average but he has lovely balance and quick feet. He will only get better and is an exciting young player.
Roy 7. Worked hard and decent debut.
Fab 8. Second half was outstanding. I love this player. When he fires up we are unstoppable. Exciting to think of him and Austin whipping in balls to Roy and Heff.

I loved that we played the game in their half but never have seen such a high press. At one stage our backfour were all camped 10 yards in Perth's half. Like we were 7.0 up!

Overall a brilliant team performance and that will definitely bring the crowds back.

Well done Tony and Hutch.

MOM....I can't separate Monty, Austin, Fab, Reddy and Caceras.

dibo

That was a really entertaining match. I looked at the board at 30 minutes and was stunned that there'd been that little time pass; it was such a thrilling way to play.

A lot depends on where we find our level to be; if that game was us finding our way and we'll improve a lot from there, we might figure at the pointy end. If (as I suspect) that was a decent day, but we'll have other days that are better and others that are worse, I don't think we're winning trophies this year.

That is completely OK - we're going to entertain people and I think the players themselves will enjoy themselves a lot. But as our gathering up in Bay 51 agreed, we're going to win a game 5-0 this year and very likely lose one 5-0.

But we will certainly entertain, we'll have a go, and we're doing it in the right way; it's enterprising, it's quick passing, it's ambitious movement off the ball, it's determined to get the ball into dangerous areas and it's willing to shoot.

I think fans are willing to accept not winning trophies; in a 10 team salary-capped league you're not going to win trophies all that often. Mariners fans have been blessed in this regard over the last 10 seasons.

I suspect fans aren't willing to be bored. We've had periods over the last 10 years where even when we've been playing well it's still been stuff for the purists and less for the punters.

If yesterday is a mark of the season to come, the purists will have their heads in their hands at times but the punters are going to enjoy themselves this year.

For that alone, hats off to the club.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred