• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R1: Mariners v Perth

Luca Brasi

Just watched the replay and agree with most of the reports here. Fitzy however was awesome in the first 35 minutes, crossing, passing, movement, combinations, drawing fouls - shooting is clearly a work in progress, Ollie Bozanic couldn't shoot either. Micky and Roux both were guilty of defensive errors, only 1 of which was punished, both were reliable outlets but not much pressure exerted by PG, Roux was very good in attack and linking up. The CB pairing was solid but mostly untested. In the last 15 min with Monty & Posco off and the absolute refusal to stop attacking (not a criticism just an observation), we offered a few chances to PG and they found a bit more room in the middle of the park, Reddy was excellent. Fab, Caceras & Monty MOM. We dodged a bullet with the PG disallowed goal in 2nd minute, could have gone either way.

bikinigirl

Micky and Roux both were guilty of defensive errors, only 1 of which was punished, both were reliable outlets but not much pressure exerted by PG, Roux was very good in attack and linking up. The CB pairing was solid but mostly untested. In the last 15 min with Monty & Posco off and the absolute refusal to stop attacking (not a criticism just an observation), we offered a few chances to PG and they found a bit more room in the middle of the park, Reddy was excellent ... We dodged a bullet with the PG disallowed goal in 2nd minute, could have gone either way.

. yeah it was a good opponent for us to open with ... hopefully the performance and the outcome builds both confidence and support ... and we grow from that

nebakke

1st goal 100% storm's fault.

THAT is being a bit kind on Reddy I think... I was a bit pissed off with him after that goal - looking at the tv replay, it looks faster than it was, that ball bl**dy damn near rolled in, with Reddy looking on... The bounce there?... That's not because Garcia headed it into the ground, that's because the ball didn't have anywhere near enough power to keep going into the goal - there was no reason why Reddy shouldn't have caught that.
So yeah - Storm-boy should've done a better job of getting in the way of Garcia, but Reddy also should've gotten that - Izzo would have! ;) - once that's said, I think he more than redeemed himself in the rest of the game. :)

nebakke

around with 10 to go, Reddy made 3 crucial saves during this time. I thought all played well however PG were awful, lots of arguing between Fernandez, Thwaite, Garcia & Castro during both halves. Crowd noise was great.

Yeah blimey Fernandez has a set of blowers on 'im doesn't he? Reckon RBB would struggle drowning out the noise from him! :D

nebakke

Every player gave 100% & despite missing so many shots at least we made the opportunities for ourselves.

This was probably one of the biggest positives of the whole game, for mine... When Glory scored, I got a bit nervous that we'd collapse and fall back to where we were last season - I think I forgot that Chesty isn't with us anymore and Bosnar was on the bench, so they didn't succumb to infighting - indeed for the better part, they actually looked like they were enjoying themselves, which was good to see.
More so, after our second, I actually commented to a mate that I thought this would be the deciding point - we've had a history of giving away a lead, within minutes of taking it - but they got the reveling out of the way before kick-off and switched right back on - it was excellent!.

As others have said, we were a bit "shakey" at the back however, in McGing I think TW has found a gem, he played so well on debut.

We definitely were, in fairness, we seemed to pretty much switch to something like three-at-the-back in attach, to my mind, it's not unreasonable that there's a bit of shakiness when you change back to defence, especially not at the start of the season... I suspect some of it at least, is perception, because we haven't really seen the current defensive lineup work together before. We've seen all of the players, yes, but Storm and Reddy are the only two that we've seen consistently in a non-junior-type role. I thought Pasco did very well last night, for example - looked a lot more stable than just last season.

I'd also like to say though, that Roy utterly won me over yesterday... I wasn't so sure after the Phoenix game, but it was awesome to see us with a forward that actually bothers to do some defensive work as well - but who also tries to follow up on a couple of the shots, just-in-case. Much as I liked both Macca and Matty and I realise that - especially with Macca - it was part of the game plan, it used to annoy me no-end, that you could sometimes see them just watch the ball roll past them, without even considering a poaching move.

Generally though a very good start to the season & the 8,072 crowd wasn`t bad either.

Actually - isn't 8000 about 1000 more than we normally get for a Glory game? :)

pjennings

McGing, Austin and O'Donovan all played well. Thank you Tony for your recruitment.

Fabio - awesome. Thank you Phil, hopefully in the coming years this will be seen as your legacy.

I was dirty on Reddy for the first goal until I saw the replay. If the ball had gone in a straight line from Garcia to the goal he should has saved it. But it started well outside and curled around him. A very good game from him except for a muffed punch late in the game.

All round a great game, I find it hard to pick a player that didn't play well which is always a great sign and what a turn around in style from the Moss era..

The only little issue from me was the clearances from corners tended to go straight out to near the D as per their second goal. We were punished once, albeit from an offside player, but it could have caused us more problems.

nebakke

I've had a chance to calm down after the excitement of last night. Perth were terrible but we were very good.
Neill 7. Has great feet and tackles hard. Leaves his man too often and needs to work on his heading ability like Storm. However he is a real unpolished Gem and i think he will play for Australia one day.
Austin 8. Super debut. Thought he could of run onto two balls that he let go over the sideline in the 2nd half but maybe he was exhausted. On that performance i would start him in front of Rosey

Just on those two - I sit in the Western stand, on "their side" for the second half - I thought it was pretty clear that both Neill and Austin had run well out of puff in the last 10 minutes, I think Caceres got up him at one point for letting a couple of real easy balls slide. It's not a disaster, to my mind, because they were playing high pressure and oh-boy did they run... FAST too... I'm thinking they'll be past that in a couple of weeks...

At this point though, much as I love Rosey, I think it might be win/win to have him on the bench and swap him in for Austin or Neill - whichever runs out of puff first, in the last 20-or-so.

bikinigirl

I'd also like to say though, that Roy utterly won me over yesterday... I wasn't so sure after the Phoenix game, but it was awesome to see us with a forward that actually bothers to do some defensive work as well - but who also tries to follow up on a couple of the shots, just-in-case.

. it is funny how sometimes what we see (or don't) is influenced by the comments of those around us

... but one thing that caught my eye was late in the game. we had just defended a corner and roy absolutely busted a gut to get up into the attacking half - once he had the ball and realised he was alone towards the sideline he held up the play in a safe upfield position ... very clever

forgive me if my memory is playing tricks on me

Gratis

Roy definitely impressed - not just his ability but sheer workload. as good as I ever saw from Matty which is a real compliment, he defended hard and then in the same play was attacking hard then back to defending

Capt. Awesome

. it is funny how sometimes what we see (or don't) is influenced by the comments of those around us

... but one thing that caught my eye was late in the game. we had just defended a corner and roy absolutely busted a gut to get up into the attacking half - once he had the ball and realised he was alone towards the sideline he held up the play in a safe upfield position ... very clever

forgive me if my memory is playing tricks on me

I saw that play very differently. I saw that as the play that caused our attitude and positive play to stop that allowed Perth back into the game. From that point on the players looked dead and stopped playing. We switched off from that time on which led to their goal. Might seem like the smart play but attitude is everything.

bikinigirl

I saw that play very differently. I saw that as the play that caused our attitude and positive play to stop that allowed Perth back into the game. From that point on the players looked dead and stopped playing. We switched off from that time on which led to their goal. Might seem like the smart play but attitude is everything.

. if he had any support i'd agree with you ... but he didn't and was seriously out numbered. perhaps because they were already dead

. i thought it was a big effort from one of the older guys, late in the game when few may have expected such an unselfish run. i think he only stopped when he realised he had no options but to hold up the ball

Forum Phoenix

Nebbake, on the Reddy header where he appeared to be so ludicrously flat footed - I'm pretty sure that curving wide PJ mentioned was why he let it go. Watch it again. It's going wide when it comes off his head, then it takes a glancing deflection of the chest/stomach of Storm, which is imperceptible from the wrong angle, (also shows in Storms response to the goal) it's why the pace came right off the ball, it curled back, and why Reddy didn't move and it seemed so out of character. Ironically, a less experienced keeper probably would have dived regardless. But he read it correctly, instantly, and then was screwed...

dibo

On the plus side with the crowd:

Taking out things like derbies, 'event' games like NYE, games at irregular venues etc.:
  • Our long term average at home is 7,949
  • Our long term October average is 8,146
  • Our long term Saturday average is 8,249
  • Our long term average against Perth is 7,603
We're right on what we ought to have been. Given the season we had last year, that's a good result.

dibo

FWIW, next game is against Sydney.

Our long term average against Sydney is about 11,000. If we go OK in Brisbane and Melbourne in the next two weeks and Sydney go OK against the scum and westies in the next two weeks (and especially if we entertain and keep up the 'media darling' status we seem to have suddenly earned) I reckon we'll do better than that.

Big Al

Got much more enjoyment watching that game. Thanks boys

Defence wow still fragile, instead of fixing it we have just tried to attack better. Going to get spanked a few times when the football gods are not on our side like they were today.

Turning point was the double sub. We took off Monty who had controlled the game ( I understand his fitness issues and game seemed buried) and they brought on Sydnei who took over the game. Until then we were in total control. But we lost all control and where dominated from there and were lucky we didn't throw away the win. Reddy showed his value is those last 15mins. Injuries didn't help but it was a real worry.
I know it's round one but our season really could hang on Montys fitness.

The lads did us proud and I'm happy now let's keep it going as we won rd 1 last year before falling apart. No side in the comp really impressed me over the weekend so we might have a better year than expected.
Top 3 are Roar, CCM and Jerks who picked that?

Gratis

3 players in the team of the week

A-League Team of the Week: Round One
Following an entertaining first round of A-League action, which players made it into the Round One team of the week?
Goalkeeper
Liam Reddy (Central Coast): For a keeper who wasn’t feeling 100% before the game, Reddy was brilliant. Kept the Mariners in it late on with some crucial stops. Just edged the impressive Thomas Sorensen.
Defence
Paulo Retre (Melbourne City) at right wingback: Composed and skilful. A real modern day right-back is Retre, who is versatile enough to play other positions.
Daniel Bowles (Brisbane Roar) at centre back: Doesn’t get the recognition he deserves but was strong at the back and a constant danger off Corona’s corners. Scored from one of them, too.
Osama Malik (Adelaide United) at centre back: Really stood out against a classy Victory outfit. The Reds will need Malik at this level all season if they’re going to mount a serious challenge.
David Carney (Newcastle Jets) at left wingback: What a 360 turnaround in fortunes. Shown the door last season by Phil Stubbins, he’s now back and better than ever under Scott Miller. Scored one and an assist in Wellington as the Jets won 2-1. Worked beautifully with Lee Ki-je.
Midfield
Corona (Brisbane Roar) in centre midfield: Wow! At 34 he may be in the latter stages of his career but it looks like John Aloisi has found himself – and the league – a genuine midfield star. Classy in everything he did and his corners were spot on.
Brandon O’Neill (Sydney FC) in centre midfield: Now we know why Arnie brought in the Perth Glory youngster. Outstanding in his tackling and pressing, plus his deft through ball set up the move for Holosko’s equaliser.
Mitch Nichols (Western Sydney Wanderers) in attacking midfield: One of the positives to come out of the Wanderers’ loss was the form of the Queenslander. Lively throughout.
Forwards
Fabio Ferreira (Central Coast) at right wing: He looks at home in Tony Walmsley’s system. And took his two penalties with aplomb. Pacy, good finisher and hard-worker. This could be Fab’s season.
Jamie Maclaren (Brisbane Roar) at centre forward: Two goals in Roar’s 3-1 win was enough to suggest the hype around the youngster is justified. The Olyroo was electric and looks a perfect fit for John Aloisi’s system.
Mitch Austin (Central Coast) at left wing: With sporting genes (athletics and League), Austin’s pace is the first thing you notice. Then it’s his crosses. Terrorised Glory on Saturday. What a talent he could turn out to be.

www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/league-team-week-round-one

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred