• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Boys conquering the world

yellowcake

A random though I just had.

If, in the devastated dressing room after the 2011 A-League Grand Final, a football-angel had come down and said "do not weep, in three years, three of you here now will start for Australia against legend-studded defending champions Spain in the World Cup and further, you will be led by a former teammate, now EPL star", surely the response would have been "yeah, and one of us will give birth to baby Jesus!"

#CCMpride

Wombat

Of the Mariners players at the World Cup Olly was the best for mine.

Wilko...didn't let anyone down and tried very hard in a pourous back 4. Found out a little bit at this level and his lack of pace didn't help. Probably the best, once Franjic was injured, in a very average back line.

Ryan......looked very poor tbh. I said to my son before the WC that an English club would sign him after he showcased his talents but he was gash I'm sad to say. Toss up between him and Joe Hart for worst keeper at the World Cup.

Olly....showed me what I've always seen....bundles of talent and energy.

Jedi....didn't live up to the hype. lacking in class at this level.

Big Al

Of the Mariners players at the World Cup Olly was the best for mine.

Wilko...didn't let anyone down and tried very hard in a pourous back 4. Found out a little bit at this level and his lack of pace didn't help. Probably the best, once Franjic was injured, in a very average back line.

Ryan......looked very poor tbh. I said to my son before the WC that an English club would sign him after he showcased his talents but he was gash I'm sad to say. Toss up between him and Joe Hart for worst keeper at the World Cup.

Olly....showed me what I've always seen....bundles of talent and energy.

Jedi....didn't live up to the hype. lacking in class at this level.

Agree on all fronts.

Think there were some technical floors found in Mat's game against the best strikers.
He was ordinary (sorry to say).
His No.1 job is to shot stop & that didn't happen. His distribution via throw was excellent but the feet wasn't always great.

Jedi - was very ordinary as well - Style of play might have a lot to do with it as was exposed by maybe over eager team mates to get forward. Likes a scrap at Crystal Palace more than the free flowing Aussies.

Olly was impressive - But when thrown in against spain was found short. Good squadie

Wilko was neither bad nor good. Make one mistake against that sort of opposition you will get punished.

eenfish

Maty had great distribution and his rushing out was tops. I don't remember him being caught off his line. He just didn't do the top level shot stopping that is needed to not allow 3 goals against top teams.

Wilko was the biggest stand out, I think. Clearly not a world class defender, has not the pace or the ability to mark top quality attackers, but if he plays his cards right he could get a decent sized contract from the right club. Also, more than ever, I would give my right nut to have him back at Gosford.

finally retired

Maty had great distribution and his rushing out was tops. I don't remember him being caught off his line. He just didn't do the top level shot stopping that is needed to not allow 3 goals against top teams.

Wilko was the biggest stand out, I think. Clearly not a world class defender, has not the pace or the ability to mark top quality attackers, but if he plays his cards right he could get a decent sized contract from the right club. Also, more than ever, I would give my right nut to have him back at Gosford.

I'd be willing to offer up your right nut for Wilko to come back too. :p
I didn't think Matty played badly.....but his confidence wasn't there (lack of belief in himself at that level) and it showed in his nervousness. But I think he'll develop well over the next few years and will be around for Australia for a long time.

Roy Law

I'd be willing to offer up your right nut for Wilko to come back too. :p
I didn't think Matty played badly.....but his confidence wasn't there (lack of belief in himself at that level) and it showed in his nervousness. But I think he'll develop well over the next few years and will be around for Australia for a long time.
I think that in the third game he was much improved, I think his confidence was there. Although we had to wait until the third game, and the worst game for the Socceroos, Mat Ryan showed that he was learning from the experience. His mental attitude was much stronger. His coverage of his area, and his half of the field, was excellent. There is still a lot more needed but he will get better and Ange clearly thinks so too.

Roy Law

Disagree - his longer reach alone would have stopped two of them.
It is funny how people don't remember how poor Schwarzer was in South Africa - beaten from very long range for Germany's first goal; hopelessly late to come out for the cross for their second -Ryan would have been so much quicker; and spilling the ball to gift Serbia a goal in the last game.

VicMariner

Schwarzer is a dead end. We were never going to progress in Brazil. Ryan playing is about the future, he got valuable experience and he is the best option Australia has.
I expect him to knuckle down and improve his game and show the world what he can do at the Asian Cup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred