• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

World Cup Qualifier - Japan vs. Australia, 11th February, 9.20pm EDT

serious14

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/emerton-woe-opens-door-for-holman/2009/02/03/1233423223028.html

Michael Cockerill
February 4, 2009

SUPER sub Brett Holman is set to be given the chance of a lifetime as Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek looks to cover the loss of Brett Emerton for the remainder of the Wold Cup campaign.

Verbeek yesterday named a 22-man squad for next week's decisive qualifier against Japan in Yokohama and, while the coach was giving little away, the odds are Holman will be called off the bench to fill the enormous hole left by Emerton, who injured his knee playing for Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.

Emerton is scheduled to return to Sydney for an operation next week and is likely to be sidelined for at least nine months - by which stage Australia's World Cup fate will almost certainly have been decided.

Holman, 24, has largely been used as a substitute by Verbeek during the qualifiers despite his solid form in the Dutch league over the past two seasons. His only two starts came against Qatar and Uzbekistan away from home, but he has been part of the squad for the past three years and his preference for playing down the right channel usually occupied by Emerton makes him the obvious choice to partner Luke Wilkshire on that flank.

Asked yesterday how much the team would miss Emerton, Verbeek replied: "First of all, it's terrible news for him. Second, it's terrible news for his club, and, last but not least, it's terrible news for us. We will miss him - of course we will. Normally he is a starting player. We cannot cover him with players of the same quality, so we have to fill in with players of other qualities."

The loss of Emerton, the failure of Mark Viduka to overcome his catalogue of injuries, the likely absence of Harry Kewell, and the continuing cloud over Scott Chipperfield's fitness leaves the Socceroos short-handed for the biggest game of the campaign so far. But Japan's build-up has been unconvincing, and with coach Takeshi Okada under pressure to deliver a result, the Socceroos could yet spring a surprise.

Verbeek was pressed repeatedly for his views on Japan's current woes, but failed to bite. Asked whether there was a special rivalry between the two nations following the 2006 World Cup and the 2007 Asian Cup, Verbeek said: "That's for the media. It's a big game, that's true. That's why all the players want to be there. A beautiful stadium, a sold-out stadium, every player wants to play a game like that."

After an unconvincing start to the 2011 Asian Cup qualifying campaign - Japan narrowly beat Yemen at home before losing last week in Bahrain - the local media has called for Okada's head. But Verbeek is drawing no conclusions. "They only used J-League players for those games, so it says nothing. We also played a zero-zero in Indonesia last week [using only A-League] players, and that says nothing, too. I can only say about Japan I know everything. I mean, I know everything. There are no secrets there."

Japan have recalled five overseas-based players for the match, most notably Celtic playmaker Shunsuke Nakamura. Verbeek flew out of Australia last night to watch Japan's friendly against Finland in Saitama tonight, but admitted he was unlikely to draw any last-minute conclusions. "It's not so interesting for me to see this match, I just want to see them live," he said.

With a full weekend of European fixtures ahead, Verbeek hasn't ruled out late changes to his squad - including a last-minute recall for Kewell if he can make a comeback appearance for Galatasaray. "If he plays, I may call on him. I will think about that," Verbeek said.

To cover for late withdrawals, James Troisi, Jacob Burns, Bruce Djite and Nick Carle have all been placed on stand-by.

Sorry Mike, but no, it really doesn't.  Those previous substitutions were for a No. 10-esque roles or for strikers, not a f*cking right winger.  He shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone the starting XI.......

And SUPER SUB??    :vomit:

bulldogmariner

Missing Brett will be a big loss but i think Holman has started to prove himself as a quality player not only in Holland but also on an international stage. We can play a conventional 442 with Grella, Culina in the holding midfield role and Cahill playing on top with Josh. Holman right, Carney left and the wing backs in wilkshire and chippers.

dibo

the last few NT games i've seen holman play i thought he was very effective, and could certainly be in the goals with a shred of luck. he's quick, he is a trier, his first touch isn't great but once he's running with the ball he looks good. i'd pick him over most other names you could throw up there.

there. i said it. :p

Paolo

Another hutcho style situation where no matter how good someone plays, serious will still bag them??

Jorome Alexander Bennett

Holman hasn't been very good in past appearances. I would be hardworking if I was selected, but I'd still be pants.
Supersub is far from accurate.

But selections are made on current form. As has been said, he's doing well in Holland therefore he fully deserves a call up.

serious14

keensy said:
Another hutcho style situation where no matter how good someone plays, serious will still bag them??

Hmmmmm........... I recall actually saying Hutch played alright in the 2 or 3 games this season where he managed to do so.  But don't let that get in the way of your argument.  ;)

Lolman has played 2 good games for the Socceroos - the friendlies against Ghana and China.  The rest has been utter garbage.  We'd be far better served with someone like Troisi or Nick Carle.

There, I said it.  :p

Paolo

serious14 said:
keensy said:

Hmmmmm........... I recall actually saying Hutch played alright in the 2 or 3 games this season where he managed to do so.  But don't let that get in the way of your argument.  ;)
i believe the question mark made it a question not an argument

serious14

Then in that case, no it won't be.  If someone plays well, I'll say so.  Lolman rarely gives me the chance to do that.

FFC Mariner

Lolman has a handicap compared to other players though

He is f**king shite

ps - CCLC doing anything for this one?

serious14

Righto lads and ladettes, I'm off to Japan until the 13th.  I'll wave to you all on the television from the game (if I take my hands out of my pockets long enough without them freezing).  Go Australia, go Mariners, and here's to a good result on both Friday and next Wednesday.

For those of you going to Brisbane, I will see you all there.

;D

Paolo

serious14 said:
Righto lads and ladettes, I'm off to Japan until the 13th.  I'll wave to you all on the television from the game (if I take my hands out of my pockets long enough without them freezing).  Go Australia, go Mariners, and here's to a good result on both Friday and next Wednesday.

;D
*shakes head*  Trevs goodbye was way better, he atleast game himself a thread

Gopher of Pern

keensy said:
serious14 said:

;D
*shakes head*   Trevs goodbye was way better, he atleast game himself a thread

Yeah, but you can't beat Trev now. If you make your own thread, then you are just a trev wannabe. Trev owns everyone at goodbyes

typool

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25013047-5014539,00.html

will Harry kewell play against Japan??

serious14

Konichiwa from the Land of the Rising Sun.  Although said Sun isn't very powerful, 'cos it's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkin' coooooooooooooooold!!!!

I think I may have found a venue to watch the game tonight, otherwise it's Internet Cafe-Veetle/Iraq Goals.  Whatever it takes.

If anyone has an _actual_ request for me to buy them something Japanesey, PM me and I'll see what I can do.  And no Keensy.  (just pre-empting whatever you're going to ask because I know it will be sordid and wrong :p)

Sayanora for now, c'mon Mariners!!!!

loyalist

FFC Mariner said:

He is f**king shite

fwiw i dont think there are many other aussies at a european club that look like winning their leg
therefore holman >> all other socceroos

serious14

poglavnik said:
FFC Mariner said:

He is f**king shite

fwiw i dont think there are many other aussies at a european club that look like winning their leg
therefore holman >> all other socceroos

Delightfully twisted logic as only you could do.  ;)

Paru_Chan

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=616345&sec=worldcup2010&root=worldcup2010&cc=4716

Japan and Australia battle for supremacy

By Mike Tuckerman
(Archive)

February 5, 2009

The 2010 FIFA World Cup may be more than a year away, but Japan's upcoming World Cup qualifier with Australia in Yokohama could yield an answer to a question that has left many fans in Asia scratching their heads. Are Japan good enough to reach the semi-finals of the World Cup?

Japan coach Takeshi Okada certainly thinks so. In a video message broadcast in December at the opening of a new sports store in Tokyo, the Sankei Sports daily claimed that Okada drew applause when the normally straight-laced tactician made an uncharacteristically bold statement.

"We will seriously aim to finish in the top four at the World Cup," said Okada - perhaps unaware that his stunning proclamation was about to relayed throughout the region. "Some people may laugh it off but I think it is possible."

What makes Okada's statement all the more unusual is that the Blue Samurai have struggled in World Cup qualifying so far. Their nadir was reached with a 1-0 defeat in the first round of qualifying to Bahrain in Manama, and as if to prove it was no fluke, Bahrain beat Japan by the same score in an Asian Cup qualifier just last month.

Those two defeats have set tongues wagging throughout Asia, particularly with Australia keen to assume the mantle as the region's premier team. They sowed the seeds of an intense rivalry by beating Japan in the group stage of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, before the Blue Samurai exacted revenge by knocking out the Socceroos on penalties in the 2007 AFC Asian Cup.

That Asian Cup appearance proved disappointing for both teams, with West Ham United defender Lucas Neill's claim that Australia would go through the tournament undefeated looking foolish the minute eventual champions Iraq beat Australia in just the second group stage game.

Neill's statement nevertheless seemed to get under Japanese skin, and Japan's players were quick to voice their opinions in the build-up to a fiery Asian Cup quarter-final.

Former Portsmouth keeper Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi claimed that he was "burning for revenge" after Australia's World Cup victory, while defender Yuji Nakazawa bluntly predicted that Japan would win the match 3-0. His prediction didn't quite ring true, but both men proved pivotal in the shoot-out - Kawaguchi saved two penalties before Nakazawa smashed home the winning spot-kick.

Now the burgeoning rivalry is set for another chapter and far from cooling tempers, Japan coach Okada has instead heaped fuel on the fire. "We definitely want to beat Australia and I think it is possible. I want to shut them up," Okada told reporters after his side had thrashed Qatar 3-0 in Doha.

Australia's laconic Dutch coach Pim Verbeek has refused to be drawn into a war of words ahead of the latest clash. Verbeek knows Okada well - the two both coached in the J-League in 2003 - and he will realise that there is little to gain from engaging in pre-match psychological warfare.

All the pressure is on Japan, and having so far taken maximum points in the final round of qualifying, Australia can afford to lose in Yokohama and still cruise through to the finals in South Africa.

Japan are hardly in dire straits themselves, but having announced their grand plans to finish in the top four at the World Cup, they could soon be left with egg on their faces if they are unable to overcome Australia at home. That's partly because the Australian media will be quick to trumpet an away-day win - Australian sporting success is always good for circulation - and partly because Japanese fans have historically had high expectations for their team.

Recent defeats have dampened those expectations, but by the time Japan run out in front 70,000 fans at a packed Yokohama International Stadium, coach Okada will no doubt hope that his players can hold their nerve. They'll be desperate to have wrapped up qualification by the time they travel to Melbourne for their final World Cup qualifier, and with a tricky away trip to Uzbekistan also looming on the horizon, Japan can ill-afford to leave anything to chance.

Australia hardly need any more encouragement themselves. Undaunted by his failed Asian Cup prediction, Socceroos skipper Lucas Neill was confident that his side would finish in the top two of their five-team qualifying group, telling West Ham's matchday program that, "other than the hosts South Africa and Italy, we could be the first team to qualify, which will be a nice statement to make to the world that last time was not a fluke."

Plenty to play for in Yokohama then, where there is much more at stake than just World Cup qualifying points. Both Japan and Australia believe that they can do some damage in South Africa, but they will want to do so as the region's top-ranked side.

Korea Republic fans may of course disagree, but for many Japanese and Australian fans, their upcoming World Cup qualifier in Yokohama could settle some matters of regional supremacy. No hint as yet whether it could answer Japan's other burning question; whether they are good enough to reach the World Cup semi-finals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred