• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What should be our starting 11?

bikinigirl

tyson said:
If you watch the Mariners play where you can hear them, such as Pluim, you will find that Wilko organises the team with a lot of talk from the back. If you replace him with Doig, you lose that organisation and you also lose a bit of pace.

. don't think i have ever heard wilko described as a better organiser at the back than doig

Forum Phoenix

No you probably haven't. I, like many, thought this last season. But its just that Doig is much louder. Tysons right I think, in Canberra pre season games, when I could actually hear it too, Wilko was constantly organising.

Only thing form me therefore is that Wilko seems to get pissed off and get his head down sometimes, bit baffled and frustrated it looks like, when I think he just needs to command, be powerful and stay positive especially when he feels like he doesn't know what the f**k is going on. Sometimes you just have to fake it till you make it to help lift the others. Think its just age and experience though as I think he clearly has the capacity.

Re Perez, Arnold says he thinks he's real "quality" apparently. His judgemnet has been good so far - so I'm hoping he's nailed it with Perez. Luckily Amini looks to be a genuine possible replacement imo. I meant to have him on my bench  :headbutt: He impressed me in pre season and I read the Vietnam game reports also.

It's exciting - as TSD  said, we really do have excellent cover options in all positions.

However the question mark over the physicality of the midfield - is an excellent point Mick. Hopefully the fluency of our movement will prove sufficient to balance/win this battle. But also having big powerful forwards who put themselves about may help too - pending who drops back and how hard they work.

elevated position

I have watched a few of these trials and when both are on the field Doig does defer to his captain however GA did not bring the highly expierenced dutchman to stand in the backline mute so I would think he will pull the strings from there.

RADINHO

___________Vanstrattan__________
__Porter__Wilko__Dutch/Doig__Rose_
_________Bojic______Hutcho_______
___Wee Mac___Perez___Bozanic____
_____________Simon______________

We Don't really have any Natural Wingers except Lewis, but he's too inexperienced.

jarrad

__Pedj___Wilko____Dutch____Rose_
_______Griffiths______Hutcho_____
___Kwasnik___Perez___Bozanic____
_____________Simon_____________

Ryan
Amini
Doig
Mcbreen

RADINHO

Scratchysquire said:

Ryan
Amini
Doig
Mcbreen

No Porter?

localpom

Never been so hard to pick a starting 11 which is a good thing. I'm a fan of Pedj so will have him at right back.No mention of the two young guys who are at at Sheffield, they might play a big part this year and so might Amini. He has his detractors but i think Mrjda will have a good yr so it's not just Mcbreen/Simon/Kwas. Obvious starters in my eyes are Jess VS, Wilko,Dutch,Rose,Perez,Bozanic..and the rest will be battling for the remainder. Geez.... i am looking forward to this season!

Forum Phoenix

Scratchysquire said:

Ryan
Amini
Doig
Mcbreen

Yeah, we could actually field a genuinely dangerous 4231 this year I believe - which may come in handy at some point. Though personally I'd have Weemac for Kwas as per Radinho and McBreen for Simon.

RADINHO said:
__Porter__Wilko__Dutch/Doig__Rose_
_________Bojic______Hutcho_______
___Wee Mac___Perez___Bozanic____
_____________Simon______________

We Don't really have any Natural Wingers except Lewis, but he's too inexperienced.

We are looking to play a narrow diamond, so it's our left and right back who will be palying more as wingers/wingbacks. Which would likely be Porter and Rose - though I think Pedj and Griffiths are going to be very very hard to keep out of the squad.

Battles all over the park for positions.
We are looking a very solid unit this year people. Make no mistake.
:popcorn:

Deej

Based on pre-season form and formations I'd go :

----------------------JVS
Pedj/Porter-----Zwaan-----Wilko------Rose
--------------------Hutch
------McGlinchey--------------Bozanic
-------------------Perez
------------Kwas---------McBreen/Simon

Bench - Porter/Pedj, Griffith, Simon/McBreen and Ryan

Whether some people agree or not Wilko won't be dropped or moved to the right, Doig is not GS first choice CB and can't see him making the bench tbh, he's persisted with Hutch in DM, he will have good games and bad games but he is a leader on the park and Griffiths could easily slot in there also.  Kwas has been scoring (admittedly against poorer opposition but he's scored more than any other against the same opposition), whether GA think Simon or McBreen is a better partner is a toss of the coin really.  Perez will play, he's our major signing, he may not last 90 mins to start with but he'll tuck in behind the front 2.

bikinigirl

Deej said:
snip ... he's persisted with Hutch in DM, he will have good games and bad games but he is a leader on the park and Griffiths could easily slot in there also.

. i predict a couple of things with Hutch in at DM:
.. quite a few 'leave my liddle buddy alone' moments as he 'leads' a small midfield
.. a tonne of work without over-committing to tackles and many sideways passes - all of which will have him lambasted by the fans :p

neverwozza

Probably in the wrong thread but our right side battle against hearts left side should be very very interesting. It all depends which Heff turns up and also how much space we give him. I noticed in the short highlights package of the Tassie select game that Weemac lost out in a few 50/50's. I'm not sure who Hearts left mid is but if Porter gets caught up field I'm sure Heff will cause some problems for our right side with his power and pace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred