• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Western Sydney FC

midfielder

LOL re theme song...

Lyall Gorman has been appointed Executive Chairman of the new club…... wonder who will be the new head of the A-League..

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/lyall-gorman-appointed-chairman-of-new-sydney-club/47378

midfielder

Milicic to join Poppa...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-22/milicic-joins-close-mate-popovic-at-western-sydney/4026198?section=sport

kevrenor

Hmmm ..

Rushed club in west Sydney suicidal: Rrasic
BY: RAY GATT From: The Australian May 23, 2012 12:00AM

AUSTRALIAN soccer greats Rale Rasic and Ray Richards have raised fears over the viability of the new west Sydney A-League franchise, saying Football Federation Australia has set itself too big a task in getting the club up and running in less than five months.

While last week's appointment of Tony Popovic as coach and Lyall Gorman as executive chairman was followed up yesterday with confirmation that Ante Milicic will be Popovic's assistant, west Sydney is still without a player signing, club name, colours, ground and a board.

Popovic is working frantically to try to get a playing roster in place in time for the team's first official training session on June 25.

It is a situation that worries and concerns long-time western Sydney football and business identities Rasic and Richards, who, as coach and player respectively, were involved in the Socceroos squad that qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time in 1974.

"I am still puzzled by the decision to put the team in to the competition next season," Rasic said yesterday. "It is a bad business decision by the FFA.
"How can you expect to get a club running in five months ... it's suicidal. I don't know what they are thinking."

Rasic, who lived in western Sydney for more than 40 years before moving to the south coast last year, believes FFA should have followed the AFL's example of setting up new franchises.

"The AFL is the best sporting administration in the country by a mile," Rasic said. "Look what they have done with their Greater Western Sydney club. They are smart people who employ smart people.

"What Kevin Sheedy has done with that club is phenomenal. That's how you run a club. You give it time, give it a chance to get the proper business in place, the proper staff and the right players.

"You don't go around like a chicken without a head, making things up as you go along.

"I feel for Tony Popovic. I don't know that he understands what he has let himself in for. He is going to be a good coach, but he has been given a very hard task."

Richards, who played in the area and has run businesses in the west for more than 40 years, says he is "100 per cent behind Tony Popovic" and wants the club to succeed. He attended five of the seven fan forums conducted across western Sydney over the past two months after being approached by FFA to be one of the faces of the campaign to woo the west.

But he admitted yesterday that there "was a smell about it" that he didn't like.

"No one wants west Sydney and Tony Popovic to succeed more than I do," Richards told The Australian. "Poppa is going to be a good coach.

"My beef isn't against him but is against the FFA and how they have handled this facade. They say they want this to be a community club but it isn't working out that way.

"In my opinion, west Sydney is a knee-jerk reaction. They need a 10th team to shore up their television rights deal.

"How can FFA establish a club in less than five months when just about all of the other club models have failed after seven years?

"FFA banked on selling west Sydney on the raw emotions of the fans through its carefully orchestrated fan forum circus.

"After thumbing its nose at the region for eight years because of commitments to Sydney FC and the investors there, it has now come to us, the people of the west, to pull it out of the mire of its own doing.

"I was asked to be involved in trying to sell west Sydney to the masses. It was a challenge I was happy to accept given my connections to the area.

"I am a westie. My heart and soul is here. I am proud of the fact.

"But this whole situation has left me cold and angry because I think the people are being treated like mugs and are being taken for a ride."

Roy Law

Ray Gatt wheeling out two predictable old mates who harbour resentment towards the FFA, what a surprise. Although Ray Richards' malapropic use of the word facade instead of farce has a certain delicious ring of truth to it. :innocent:

adz

Staff member
Gorman promises entertainment for new Sydney club

Former Head of the Hyundai A-League and now executive chairman of the new Sydney Club Lyall Gorman may be getting less sleep then he is used to, but if the result is a healthy strong club that plays attacking football then he believes he will have done his job.

Gorman revealed in an exclusive interview that his aim is to provide western Sydney with a club who play attacking football at any cost, whilst also engaging the community and making the community proud of them, as well as maintaining a good reputation, saying no matter how good the footballer, he would not be signed if he was not a "good person".

“On a daily basis, domestically and internationally, we are being contacted by players and player agents who want to become a part of the club, and expressing great excitement about the opportunity to be part of the birth of something new and becoming part of a club that is in the football heartland of Australia,” Gorman said.

“We have then got to take the time to work through that and make sure we give the club the best birth possible, and the integral part of that from a recruitment point of view is that whether it be a player or staff member is that they fit the culture of the club.

“The very first question Tony and I ask each other when looking at players is ‘are they good people?'

“After we ask the question of whether they are they good people, we have to ask ‘do they fit the playing style’? And that playing style will be one very much of attacking crowd-pleasing, entertainment-based football.

“ We want to be playing with an attitude of winning. We would rather win or lose 4-3 then draw nil-all.”

The focus on attacking football has been brought about thanks largely to the wishes of those fans who attended fan forums throughout Sydney’s west and had their say on what they wanted to see from the new club, proof that this club is being built on strong community roots.

Gorman suggesting all the important decisions will see the thoughts of football fans carefully considered and that some of the announcements about the future of the club will be coming shortky.

“There are a lot of ducks you need to get in a row around branding,” Gorman said.

“We have done the seven fan forums in the western Sydney area and we want to honour the commitment we made to build this club from the bottom up through the people.

“And that is the major focus for us at the moment, getting all the feedback from those forums and the online survey we have had which has given us feedback on things like culture, colours, team name and preferred venue and playing styles.

“When it comes to announcing colours, venue and branding we will look to do that in the next two-three weeks.”

One question on the lips of many might be will the club sign a marquee player? Especially with someone like Carlos Hernandez now on the open market, but Gorman insists marquee players are not necessarily the biggest focus.

“It’s not in the current plan,” he said.

“You never say no to those sorts of things but the fundamental principal here is that we will have a squad of 21-23 and every single player will be integral to the success of that squad rather than trying to build the club around one player”.

Nor will the club be built on shaky foundations, with Gorman adamant the key is making sure the football club is still going strong long after he and inaugural head coach Tony Popovic are gone and that has become his immediate focus.

“The immediate focus is putting in place the foundations that will ensure the club’s ultimate future.

“We’re not going in with false expectations, I can tell you anyone we engage in this club has absolute focus on success and nothing else.

"If we can get that framework in place and surround ourselves with the best possible people and the best possible strategic partners, getting all that infrastructure in place and sitting above that is being able to articulate the decisions around the club and the core values.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Gorman-promises-entertainment-for-new-Sydney-club/47474

Focus is on scoring goals and winning games. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

pjennings

Fox Sports News is reporting that Mark Bridge and Dimitri Petratos, who are both existing Sydney FC players are going to become the first and second signings for the new club. This is expected to take place early next week.

Kareem

I wonder if they would like Adriano Pellegrino?
They might have to...they don't have much of a talent pool to select.

Beauchamp? Elrich?

They are gonna have to invest in a lot of State League players AND/OR take some A-league rejects...maybe clubs (like the mariners) will offer to tear up contracts for fringe players that they don't want?

I can't see them doing better than 8th...who could they possibly get?

pjennings

They might have to...they don't have much of a talent pool to select.

Beauchamp? Elrich?

They are gonna have to invest in a lot of State League players AND/OR take some A-league rejects...maybe clubs (like the mariners) will offer to tear up contracts for fringe players that they don't want?

I can't see them doing better than 8th...who could they possibly get?

Ante Covic
Jerrad Tyson
Scott Chipperfield
Mohamed Adnan
Michael Beauchamp
Shannon Cole
Trent McClenahan
Jason Culina
Andrezinho
Carlos Hernandez
Tarek Elrich
Demitri Petratos
Mark Bridge
Robert Younis
Mile Sterjovski
Alex Terra
Labinot Haliti

Kareem

if they sign all those players they need 6 more players...4 youth players is the minimum?
So 2 more senior players

I still think they will pick up some rejects...but i guess the whole team won't be rejects!

On that list I'd say definates= elrich, beauchamp, covic (100% likely), bridge
Likely= cole, culina, sterjovski

I really hope they make top 6...it would be a massive boost
At the moment I see it as Us, Roar, Perth, Victory (not winning the comp) and maybe the Jets (very active in the transfer market)...with the 6th spot a wildcard.
I think unless Sydney do something ASAP, they are going to struggle at the bottom of the table!

Is Adnane not staying at the Roar????

pjennings

Not convinced on the Jets. They've recruited well but need to recruit well for the two remaining spots. Probably a VISA striker and AM. if they do that then they will definitely be in the mix. SFC still have a lot of work to do in the recruitment market but Crook knows how to set up a squad so expect them to be pushing as well.

BTW Petratos and Bridge are reported to be announced as the first two signings next week - also frees up more spots at SFC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred