• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

WCQ - Socceroos away vs Iraq & Qatar

kevrenor

2 June 2008
QANTAS SOCCEROOS NAMED FOR MIDDLE EAST SUPER JUNE MATCHES

The Qantas Socceroos will take a squad of 26 players to the Middle East
where Australia's 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers will continue with
matches against Iraq and Qatar.

A goal from captain Harry Kewell last night gave the Qantas Socceroos a
1-0 win over Iraq and the two teams will clash again in Dubai on 7 June
before the Australians travel to Doha to face Qatar on 14 June and then
return for the match against China in Sydney on 22 June, presented by
FOXTEL.

QANTAS SOCCEROOS SQUAD
Michael Beauchamp                  FC Nurnberg, Germany
Mark Bresciano                        US Citta di Palermo, Italy
Nick Carle                                Bristol City FC, England
David Carney                            Sheffield United FC, England
Ante Covic                                Newcastle United Jets, Australia
Chris Coyne                              Colchester United FC, England
Jason Culina                            PSV Eindhoven, Holland
Bruce Djite                                Adelaide United FC?, Australia
Brett Emerton                            Blackburn Rovers, England
Vincenzo Grella                        Torino FC Spa, Italy
James Holland                          Newcastle United Jets, Australia
Brett Holman                            NEC Nijmegen, Holland
Mile Jedinak                              Central Coast Mariners FC, Australia
Harry Kewell                              Liverpool FC, England
Scott McDonald                        Celtic FC, Scotland
Jade North                                Newcastle United Jets, Australia
Michael Petkovic                      Sivasspor, Turkey
Mark Schwarzer                        Fulham FC, England
Matthew Spiranovic                  FC Nurnberg, Germany
Archie Thompson                        Melbourne Victory, Australia
Nikolai Topor-Stanley                Perth Glory FC, Australia
James Troisi                            Newcastle United FC, England
Carl Valeri                                US Grosseto FC, Italy
Rodrigo Vargas                        Melbourne Victory FC, Australia
Luke Wilkshire                          FC Twente, Netherlands
Ruben Zadkovich                      Derby County FC, England

finally retired

centralcoastyouth said:
only surprise there really is ruben zadkovich
selection of Topor-Stanley continues to amaze me......how that guy can be picked in the Socceroo squad (or even the Olyroos) is beyond me.....he's slow and completely out of his depth.

loyalist

i agree
but hes been selected for the majority of the squads named over the past year so it didnt really come as a shock to me

serious14

Jade North....................................... whhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??

(I know it's because Lucas is unavailable, but still - give Spiro a run, he couldn't be any worse)

northernspirit

only reason ts is picked is cos hes a lefty imo
spiro should replace north, he had a shocker against iraq last night and im afraid meggsy did too

bulldogmariner

Look for Neill and Kennedy to come into squad if their partners have babies in the next few days as i know Pim is desperate for lucas to play as our defence was exposed by Mahmood last night.
I can see why he is highly regarded in Asian football.

FFC Mariner

"We're keeping a very close eye on Josh Kennedy," Verbeek said in Brisbane yesterday. "He's doing very well in his recovery, and we don't have a player that is 196 centimetres and can do something in the last 15 to 20 minutes. There aren't so many players like that in the Middle East. Most strikers in the Middle East are skilful, individual running-type players, so if you can bring somebody who is very strong in the air, they will all struggle with that

Matty S is probably free if you ask him nicely Pim

:)

Bear

marinersman said:
Does anyone know where Chippers is? Is he injured?

I asked this question at the club on Sunday. Someone suggested he had retired form international, but im sure he has not. He must either be injured, or simply not being selected for some reason?

marinersman

Good on you Bear. He definitely hasn't retired, so I guess he must be injured.

I'll have to have a look and see if I can find a story somewhere.

We are definitely a better team when he's playing.

grecquemariner

Isnt it funny how no one on from the Sydney FC team has been selected. Would have thought Aloisi would have been selected but maybe not after his last shocker.

Paolo

grecquemariner said:
Isnt it funny how no one on from the Sydney FC team has been selected.
pfft, i notice the abundance of scummers before i do the lack of sydney players

Jesus

Jesus
Chippers was injured when the euro season ended. may still be. But i also thought his wife was having a baby?

Omni

Seems every socceroos wife is having a baby!

Kennedy, Sterjovski, Chippers...

Sean

Dear Socceroos,

Please do not impregnate your wives until after 2010.
Thanks.

Sean

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=574884

Socceroos climb world rankings to 35
By Guy Hand 09:32 AEST Thu Jun 5 2008
The Socceroos have climbed to 35 in the world rankings and top of their qualifying group.

The Socceroos will go into their World Cup qualifier against Iraq in Dubai this weekend as Asia's top ranked soccer team.

Australia's 1-0 victory over Iraq in Brisbane last weekend moved them up eight places to No.35 on world governing body FIFA's rankings, with former top ranked Japan dropping one place to No.38.

The Socceroos are currently top of their Asian World Cup qualifying group, and are unbeaten in their past six matches - most against opponents ranked above or around them.

Australia can guarantee themselves advancement to the next stage of Asian World Cup qualifying with maximum points against Iraq at the 16,000-capacity Al Ahli Stadium on Saturday (Sunday AEST).

The Socceroos have seven points, and three more would ensure a top two berth and a place in the next stage starting later this year.

The draw for the next stage of Asian World Cup qualifying will be held on June 27, with the first two match days in that stage a double-header on September 6 and September 10.

In the other Group 1 qualifier this weekend, China and Qatar clash in Tianjin on Saturday prior to the Socceroos' clash.

Meanwhile, striker Josh Kennedy has declared himself ready for the short-term mission he hopes will prove he is the long-term replacement for Mark Viduka as the Socceroos' forward spearhead.

With Viduka unsure about his international future towards the 2010 World Cup, Kennedy has left his heavily pregnant wife - with her blessing - for what is likely to be no more than a 20-minute cameo to help Australia advance to the next stage of World Cup qualifying.

Kennedy has also been battling an ankle injury, and has not played in six weeks but is confident he can do the job coach Pim Verbeek has earmarked for him.

Verbeek believes Kennedy is an unique weapon for the Socceroos - an aerial threat most Asian nations have nothing to match and little experience combating.

"Physically I'm almost 100 per cent fit, but as in match fitness, I still have a long way to go to play 90 minutes," Kennedy said.

Kennedy didn't train fully with his teammates, instead training lightly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred