• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

#walmsleyout

dibo

I'd like the record to show that people have seen Timmah and me in the same place - he's not a multi of mine. ;)

Rowdy

Thailand not Bali.
Same same but different Rowdy.

T-shirt 4 sale in Bali when first went there 25 years ago.

As for the country of origin/copyright ???
Just like the peoples of Indo & Thailand ...... who cares. :-|

yellowcake

I've resisted weighing in to this until now. I'd like to forget the whole season, so I'll get this out then work on that.
At least our less dismal but still disappointing performance last year was buffered seeing by the national team win the Asian Cup, my pride magnified by starring roles by former CCM heroes.

I don't accept the performance and results are TW (or JH)'s fault. We know the clubs financial situation resulted in us having squad of average ability well below most of our opponents. However, they must shoulder some blame for whatever dressing room drama resulting in 3 players finishing the season in the starting line up of clubs coming into this round in the running for the premiership.

I do think where we've ended up, particularly with records like most goals ever conceded an A-League season and first team to concede 4 goals in 3 consecutive matches makes his position untenable anyway. I'd love him to stay with the club in the technical director role but his next global search for a new manager mustn't end finding himself.

Failing to fall on his sword in the present situation seriously threatens the viability of the club. We all know the margins are tight and the risk of an unsurvivable exodus of members and regular match-day supporters unless these is wholesale change is too great.

midfielder

As a coach and player who spent the last ten seasons in a stopper / sweeper position... I watched our defence tonight.

What I saw was a night of mistakes and very basic stuff... If the coach cannot get these bits right then something is SERIOUSLY wrong.. Micky Neil was constantly standing behind his centre backs thereby playing onside attacks on their right.

As for picking Josh Rose in a centre back role I just find that call so hard to justify..

Ascroft was being torn apart on the right an needed midfield support as the player he was marking was in heaps of free space with no one closing down the passers to him.

My little group all from Sydney and as it turns out so too another group of six in front of us were all saying if TW is there next year we are not driving all this way to see this.

If Postco had not been on the field the score could have been anything.

Whats also to me anyway becoming obvious is Monty has a heart the size of the Sydney heads and an engine to run all day but he is not a play maker he is spoiler and a damm good one but not a player to go to to play you out of trouble.

Our Midfield defensive structure is also poor by A-league standards.

In the club I over heard a couple of similar conversations.

I think the club needs to address the large number of fans who are on the verge of walking ...

The best example I have is arguably my best mate has not missed a home game and has been to many pre season lives in Sydney ... his words were if TW is still coach he is not coming next season ...

Forum Phoenix

Middy, I'm not trying to defend our awful defense, but I have to take issue with your reasoning.

"Micky Neil was constantly standing behind his centre backs thereby playing onside attacks on their right."

There was no way in hell he was coached to do this.
Do you think he's never been told to hold/watch the line?
So where does this basic mistake come from?
Suggestions:
Lack of concentration.
Lack of awareness.
Lack of communication.

That isn't the coaching Middy. Unless you want to argue his selection at all. Which is where the debate rightfully gets thrown into our budget/recruiting/loss of player issues etc.

"As for picking Josh Rose in a centre back role I just find that call so hard to justify.."

I'm not saying I want Rosey there, but the fact is that we have had no one else in our back line who is experienced enough or clearly able to have any chance of marshalling our defense properly all year. It was beyond him, but I can't really blame them for taking our most experienced defender and trying. Recruitment was the only real answer. And in truth a marquee CB would have served us better.

Rosey's also started running out of legs getting up and down that wing. We also have a hole at RB. Posc is a CB first and foremost and IMO deserves to be there. Ascroft is neither CB or RB, but we have to out someone there... and the fact we got owned through the centre last week it doesn't surprise me he wanted Posc central. So once again, I don't think it's as simple as he's just playing everyone out of position and the coaches have NFI.

"Ascroft was being torn apart on the right an needed midfield support as the player he was marking was in heaps of free space with no one closing down the passers to him."

Agreed. Total disaster. But the reality is we don't close down well at all, asides form a 37 year old veteran and two attack focused flyers, it's because too many of our players are too inexperienced on when to hold shape, or fall back into it and when to go ball, and press in numbers and in concert. Their repeated hesitancy or inaction kills us and makes us a cake walk to play through. Looks like boys against men to me.

Anyway. Behind us now. Congrats to pretty much everyone on here for not just totally losing their shit, especially those who feel convinced TW is a muppet and should be axed ASAP but are still not just cursing and ranting like loons. It's a pretty good effort on these boards for the unbelievably bad season we've just endured.

:cheers:

banarama

How easy was it to get a good parking spot close to the stadium for a Jets clash!. With Tony firmly in place as coach, I predict parking will be even better next year.

soccer mad

I said we would get pumped goals last night, and we did. TW has got to be the luckiest coach in the world today ,our errors tonight were so fundamental and all season. I don't need to articulate or dissect the game there are plenty on this forum quite capable . TW is not capable of coaching at this level , I genuinely feel for the team the deserve better direction. TW OUT NOW

Gratis

As I've said in another thread our defensive third is suspect by an average 4 goal deficit each game atm, and can't play out. Our defensive middle can't create (being under inordinate amounts of consistent unnecessary pressure adds to that) - and this immediately sabotages our attack.

It's clear for me where recruitment is required.

I don't believe coaching can make players more experienced in this back third.
That said - when there are clear failings such as the actions of Neill and Ascroft last night TW seems to tweak nothing during the game. He doesn't even get up and yell at the players to get forward, defend further back, play through balls or anything at all, just sits watching calmly. There's no direct instruction to players on the field and it seems left up to Garcia to do that.
I certainly see no instruction to adjust shape or move players to reduce holes or counter the opposition. A good coach does that.

I've made it clear I'm not in the TW out clan at this point because with players that can't execute the game plan due to inexperience I don't feel I have the evidence to blame him.
His apparent inability to adjust during a game does worry me though and with a more experienced side next season (assuming we get one) if we're seeing more of the same I will certainly have the evidence to make a decision. I'm my mind TW now has half a dozen games to prove we're steadily improving or else plan B.

yellowcake

- and this immediately sabotages our attack.
Although interestingly (yeah, I know they're not the yardstick), we've actually still scored 5 more than the Jets and 1 more than SFC (with today's game in hand). Defensive record is... indefensible.

I do wonder if Reddy hadn't given up on us, how the 'against' ledger would have ended up...

Rowdy

I don't believe coaching can make players more experienced in this back third.

I find this line of thinking thinking absolutely perplexing :confused: ???

I can't count the number of times I've read or seen a footballer say in an interview:
- "I've learned so much from my time spent under X,Y or Z Coach"

Experience
is simply, the culmination of one's learning. That learning can come from many sources and by any number of ways.

Learning from 'your mistakes', some say is the greatest way to gaining experience.

For mine, having a teacher/mentor or in this case a 'Coach' to help you identify your mistakes, then explain why and subsequently show you - through practical application (doing) ........Is the ULTIMATE way of gaining experience.

This all leads me to your (GrA) other point, which actually counter-argues your first point that; "Coaching can't make a player more experienced"

Here you say:
TW seems to tweak nothing during the game. He doesn't even get up and yell at the players to get forward, defend further back, play through balls or anything at all, just sits watching calmly.
There's no direct instruction to players on the field and it seems left up to Garcia to do that.I certainly see no instruction to adjust shape or move players to reduce holes or counter the opposition.
And then you said:
A good coach does that.

You're absolutely spot -on !

An ancient Buddhist proverb states:
- "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"

The big Question is the same as Lara Bingles

Wombat

Nice post Grasshopper. You are now ready to leave the temple.

Jokes aside, Rowdy is spot on.

Gratis

I find this line of thinking thinking absolutely perplexing :confused: ???

I can't count the number of times I've read or seen a footballer say in an interview:
- "I've learned so much from my time spent under X,Y or Z Coach"

Experience
is simply, the culmination of one's learning. That learning can come from many sources and by any number of ways.

Learning from 'your mistakes', some say is the greatest way to gaining experience.

For mine, having a teacher/mentor or in this case a 'Coach' to help you identify your mistakes, then explain why and subsequently show you - through practical application (doing) ........Is the ULTIMATE way of gaining experience.

This all leads me to your (GrA) other point, which actually counter-argues your first point that; "Coaching can't make a player more experienced"

Here you say:

And then you said:

You're absolutely spot -on !

An ancient Buddhist proverb states:
- "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"

The big Question is the same as Lara Bingles

My turn for the Rowdy 'deep analysis' hey

My point was that (and I'm exaggerating heavily simply to make clear what I am saying) if you throw a 14 year old tennis player into centre back then all the instruction in the world can only go so far.
The obvious thing to do next is not to pick him right? But what if you have no choice? Firstly no depth to go to and secondly a management that explicitly says play the youth again and again so we can sell them later.

My secondary point was quite a separate point to this, unrelated, in that I don't see instruction to the team to shift to adjust for player inadequacy or to adjust when it's clear the oppositions tactics need adjusting for.

LaRass

I think if Tony can't get us into at least top 6 by January next year he should be put back into technical director.

Rowdy

My secondary point was quite a separate point to this, unrelated, in that I don't see instruction to the team to shift to adjust for player inadequacy or to adjust when it's clear the oppositions tactics need adjusting for.

This ^^, totally got the first time & totally agree with.

BUT ....
My point was that (and I'm exaggerating heavily simply to make clear what I am saying) if you throw a 14 year old tennis player into centre back then all the instruction in the world can only go so far
The obvious thing to do next is not to pick him right? But what if you have no choice? Firstly no depth to go to and secondly a management that explicitly says play the youth again and again so we can sell them later.

BUT This ^^, o_O ..... :confused: ???

Your analogy is as clear as mud on the windscreen of a give-away Hyundai. I can't even figure what point your even trying to make ???

You started off by your rebutting my argument to your point of, which you said;
I don't believe coaching can make players more experienced

A tennis player into a CB, then drop him to the bench ..... but have to pick him by decree of an inept Donald Trump esq. Club Owner ..... to be then sold later for a profit despite the tennis player not learning a fcuking thing ???????????

To paraphease Trump himself,
........ I'm sorry but BUT YOUR FIRED !

I have a compass, a map but seriously I'm truly & completely lost.
...... & have activated my emergency beacon.
(I had the basic logic to bring one) :p

But jokes aside and Im not trying to antagonise, I'll ask you simply this,

Q: - If coaches can't make players more experienced, ..... then what's the point of even having a 'Coach' if you've got experienced players amongst players with none?

Q: Again, why have so many on this forum called for the Club to get a 'Defensive Coach' like Zwaanswijk to come in and teach these young guys how to defend better?

Surely if the club did just that then wouldn't the kid's have gained some experience from Dutchy. ???

Not only do I think so, I know so ........
Because that's how I gained experience from those Coaches & Mentors that I had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred