• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

#walmsleyout

Gratis

A-League: Central Coast Mariners at odds with fans over tough season
April 13, 2016 9:06am
Peter WayCentral Coast Gosford Express Advocate

Despite the disappointment of securing the club’s first piece of woodenware to go alongside the championship and two premierships coach Tony Walmsley believes the club can turn things around quickly.

“The future is very bright,” he said.

“We are very active and proactive in recruiting seniority, good leaders (and) experienced footballers that are going to make an immediate difference on the pitch next season.

Walmsley, while not dismissive of fan’s concerns, was confident the fans would forgive the team’s on-field performances.

“People will see, the fans will be back,” he said.

“It’s easy to be upset at the moment, it’s easy to be distressed and to feel emotional about results and where the team’s finished.

“But once there’s that sense of optimism that starts to flow through once the first signing is made and the next signing is made, suddenly pre-season’s upon you.

Walmsley said he was up to the challenge of turning around the club’s fortunes.

“The freshness of the new era begins in earnest,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to it but it’s been tough.”

Although the Mariners’ coaching staff are looking forward, some fans are struggling to come to terms with the club’s direction and performances.

Former Central Coast Mariners active fan group leader “Eggy” Glasgow has even resorted to attending Sydney Swans AFL games instead of the Mariners’ matches.

A petition is doing the rounds on social media calling for coach Tony Walmsley to be sacked.

It comes as fans at the final game of the season on Saturday night booed every time Walmsley appeared on the stadium’s big-screen and fans chanted “We want Tony out, we want Tony out” as the Newcastle Jets piled on more misery in the 4-2 loss.

Glasgow has been a supporter of the club for its entire history and was formerly the fan leader urging others in the Yellow Army through the use of a megaphone. He even has Mariners tattoos.

The 32-year-old from Kanwal said many fans felt the same as him.

“I don’t know any fans that feel differently,” he said.

“No one is looking on the positive side of things, that’s for sure.”

He said it had the hallmarks of a forgettable season from the get-go.

“This season has been a disgrace from the start,” he said.

“At the beginning of the season Walmsley said the season wasn’t about winning.

“Now we’ve broken every negative A-League record there is to break.

“Walmsley’s got to go, he shouldn’t survive after the season they’ve had.

“It’s not just him, the community engagement isn’t what it used to be.”

Glasgow said it wasn’t just results that had affected him as a supporter.

“There are lots of other negatives and they’re not addressing fans’ concerns.

“They’ve made it feel like a chore to go to matches and the past two years haven’t been the same.”

Mariners’ executive vice- chairman Peter Storrie all but assured Walmsley’s tenure after their loss to the Wanderers in the penultimate round of the season and Walmsley said he was up to the challenge of turning the club’s fortunes around.

“It’s about looking forward,” he said.

“I understand the angst of the supporters.

“There’s a group of people who want change and there’s also a group of people that can see the vision and are very supportive of what it is that we set out to do.

“There’s a couple of things that happened.

“We made changes and we exposed a number of players to too much too soon.

“So that’s really, on reflection, where things became challenging. If you play 10 or 12 games in NPL2 last year to play 25 games in the A-League you just don’t know how that’s going to affect you until you’re in among it.

“It was too big a stretch too soon and we are where we are, but the future is very bright.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...n/news-story/d3a72f810e0d20eb74becbd350b2b135

sydmariner

A-League: Central Coast Mariners at odds with fans over tough season
April 13, 2016 9:06am
Peter WayCentral Coast Gosford Express Advocate

Despite the disappointment of securing the club’s first piece of woodenware to go alongside the championship and two premierships coach Tony Walmsley believes the club can turn things around quickly.

“The future is very bright,” he said.

“We are very active and proactive in recruiting seniority, good leaders (and) experienced footballers that are going to make an immediate difference on the pitch next season.

Walmsley, while not dismissive of fan’s concerns, was confident the fans would forgive the team’s on-field performances.

“People will see, the fans will be back,” he said.

“It’s easy to be upset at the moment, it’s easy to be distressed and to feel emotional about results and where the team’s finished.

“But once there’s that sense of optimism that starts to flow through once the first signing is made and the next signing is made, suddenly pre-season’s upon you.

Walmsley said he was up to the challenge of turning around the club’s fortunes.

“The freshness of the new era begins in earnest,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to it but it’s been tough.”

Although the Mariners’ coaching staff are looking forward, some fans are struggling to come to terms with the club’s direction and performances.

Former Central Coast Mariners active fan group leader “Eggy” Glasgow has even resorted to attending Sydney Swans AFL games instead of the Mariners’ matches.

A petition is doing the rounds on social media calling for coach Tony Walmsley to be sacked.

It comes as fans at the final game of the season on Saturday night booed every time Walmsley appeared on the stadium’s big-screen and fans chanted “We want Tony out, we want Tony out” as the Newcastle Jets piled on more misery in the 4-2 loss.

Glasgow has been a supporter of the club for its entire history and was formerly the fan leader urging others in the Yellow Army through the use of a megaphone. He even has Mariners tattoos.

He said it had the hallmarks of a forgettable season from the get-go.

“This season has been a disgrace from the start,” he said.

“At the beginning of the season Walmsley said the season wasn’t about winning.

“Now we’ve broken every negative A-League record there is to break.

“Walmsley’s got to go, he shouldn’t survive after the season they’ve had.

Glasgow said it wasn’t just results that had affected him as a supporter.

“There are lots of other negatives and they’re not addressing fans’ concerns.

“They’ve made it feel like a chore to go to matches and the past two years haven’t been the same.”

Mariners’ executive vice- chairman Peter Storrie all but assured Walmsley’s tenure after their loss to the Wanderers in the penultimate round of the season and Walmsley said he was up to the challenge of turning the club’s fortunes around.

“It’s about looking forward,” he said.

“I understand the angst of the supporters.

“There’s a group of people who want change and there’s also a group of people that can see the vision and are very supportive of what it is that we set out to do.

“There’s a couple of things that happened.

“So that’s really, on reflection, where things became challenging. If you play 10 or 12 games in NPL2 last year to play 25 games in the A-League you just don’t know how that’s going to affect you until you’re in among it.

“It was too big a stretch too soon and we are where we are, but the future is very bright.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...n/news-story/d3a72f810e0d20eb74becbd350b2b135
It's sad to see this happening but booing TW is just plane f**king wrong:mad::naughty:.

FFC Mariner

Notwithstanding your personal views on this.

I feel the clubs messaging on this is wrong and potentially sets them up for a horrible fall "if" it doesnt get better next season.

The structure of TW reporting into the UK and SM and the rest of the staff cut out of that loop requires a carefully constructed comms strategy which isnt immediately apparent (Sir Humphrey voice)

Rather than we WILL turn it around type messaging surely something safer like 'we know we got it wrong, we are hurting too and will work as hard as we can to make it imrove"

Super positive statements will look very silly if they have to punt him after 6 games next year.

Football isnt an exact science and when I last checked it isnt actually possible to guarantee improvement.

Lose a couple of bright young prospects, injuries to key players in pre season etc. Its a very fine line and I would have thought under promise/over deliver might work better.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
if their wanting to paint sunny pictures , I dont think telling the world that Eggy has jumped to paddock wrestling is the way to do it....Im sure they could have found another way to do it

Luca Brasi

Don't know what else they are supposed to do. I know last winter my local club had the Mariners take a junior training session for about 100 kids and we had a player at our presentation night. We had 2 players show up at our grading day as well as the mascots. I have been to a CCM pre season members function and had the pleasure of hearing first hand from the owner, vice chairman, CEO, head coach and assistant coach at the pre game functions, and they were also happy to take questions from the floor. I was also sent a survey last week seeking my views on how the club could do things better. I suggested winning would be good.;)

nebakke

Notwithstanding your personal views on this.

I feel the clubs messaging on this is wrong and potentially sets them up for a horrible fall "if" it doesnt get better next season.

The structure of TW reporting into the UK and SM and the rest of the staff cut out of that loop requires a carefully constructed comms strategy which isnt immediately apparent (Sir Humphrey voice)

Rather than we WILL turn it around type messaging surely something safer like 'we know we got it wrong, we are hurting too and will work as hard as we can to make it imrove"

Super positive statements will look very silly if they have to punt him after 6 games next year.

Football isnt an exact science and when I last checked it isnt actually possible to guarantee improvement.

Lose a couple of bright young prospects, injuries to key players in pre season etc. Its a very fine line and I would have thought under promise/over deliver might work better.

I think they're in a bit of a tough spot right now, communication-wise... It's of their own making, definitely, but that doesn't really matter does it? Because the finger pointing isn't really going to solve the problem.
The thing is that, to some extend at least, it's taken so long for them to come out with a clear-cut statement about who makes what calls where, that the fanbase has taken aim at the traditional culprit - the coach... Arguably, they still haven't made a clear-cut statement on it, but it doesn't really matter anymore, because there aren't a lot of us actually listening right now... We're all really frustrated and worn down and, until some sort of action is taken, I doubt it that a lot of people are going to pay a whole lot of attention to what is being said. Going on general response, the show of intent in signing Faty, goes a bit in the right firection - if we can actually land Wilko, I think the mood of the fanbase will change quite drastically quite quickly... Not to the point of being TW fans obviously, but at least to a point where a conversation might get started.

As for "Eggy" - I don't know him and I'm sure he's a fan but... If he honestly doesn't know anyone who doesn't agree with him that Tony has to go - no ifs/buts - then I'd question how broad a group of people he talks to in the fanbase, because as can be seen here, we do exist.

nebakke

Don't know what else they are supposed to do. I know last winter my local club had the Mariners take a junior training session for about 100 kids and we had a player at our presentation night. We had 2 players show up at our grading day as well as the mascots. I have been to a CCM pre season members function and had the pleasure of hearing first hand from the owner, vice chairman, CEO, head coach and assistant coach at the pre game functions, and they were also happy to take questions from the floor. I was also sent a survey last week seeking my views on how the club could do things better. I suggested winning would be good.;)

Yeah - I've been trying to work this out... I've been seeing this sort of comment about community engagement a lot the last couple of weeks. My perception is that community engagement is at a 5-year-high... We have had more conversations, communication and general feedback with/from the club than at any time while Arnie was in charge... It improved slightly under Moss, but starting with when he went, it's come along leaps and bounds...
My take is that when people say "community engagement isn't what it used to be" they're either saying "the club isn't listening to us demanding that the coach is fired" or they're saying "it isn't what it was under Lawrie" which is a fair point but also begs the question "where were your complaints about this after he left then?"

Ancient Mariner

Eggy is a mate of mine and an all round good guy. I suspect they approached him not the other way around

"Former Central Coast Mariners active fan group leader “Eggy” Glasgow has even resorted to attending Sydney Swans AFL games instead of the Mariners’ matches."

And a real solid fan and just the sort you want as a leader.:vomit:

dibo

Eggy clearly doesn't know everyone.

"Former Central Coast Mariners active fan group leader “Eggy” Glasgow has even resorted to attending Sydney Swans AFL games instead of the Mariners’ matches."

Wonder if he has a "forever loyal" tattoo?

soccer mad

The inevitable of TW for next season upon us ,for me he would have been part of the clear out but that's not going to happen. I've seen enough of him sit on his arse without guiding his troupes not to mention the perplexed expression on his face as what to do next when the team went behind or getting pepperd by our opposition. And the team looking around for leadership on the pitch .Definition of coach ,instruct ,teach ,tutor, educate , guide,upskill,guide and drill. I never felt we had genuine game plan or basic errors being corrected and for me that's the coaches responsibility TW took us back 10 years not forward. I remember when we first played in the ACL and we witnessed how far the Asian bar had been set the aleague is bridging the gap as a Mariner fan we derserve better.

Wombat

I think they're in a bit of a tough spot right now, communication-wise... It's of their own making, definitely, but that doesn't really matter does it? Because the finger pointing isn't really going to solve the problem.
The thing is that, to some extend at least, it's taken so long for them to come out with a clear-cut statement about who makes what calls where, that the fanbase has taken aim at the traditional culprit - the coach... Arguably, they still haven't made a clear-cut statement on it, but it doesn't really matter anymore, because there aren't a lot of us actually listening right now... We're all really frustrated and worn down and, until some sort of action is taken, I doubt it that a lot of people are going to pay a whole lot of attention to what is being said. Going on general response, the show of intent in signing Faty, goes a bit in the right firection - if we can actually land Wilko, I think the mood of the fanbase will change quite drastically quite quickly... Not to the point of being TW fans obviously, but at least to a point where a conversation might get started.

As for "Eggy" - I don't know him and I'm sure he's a fan but... If he honestly doesn't know anyone who doesn't agree with him that Tony has to go - no ifs/buts - then I'd question how broad a group of people he talks to in the fanbase, because as can be seen here, we do exist.

Dont forget Newspapers dont exactly report the actual words you say...just the words they "wanted" you to say.....to support the story they are looking to run.

Obviously watching AFL is a dreadful waste of time (unless you are a transported Victorian) so no doubt Eggy with be back shirtless next season to watch a much stronger Mariners team.

kevrenor

But you were told that it wouldn't work and you powered on! Why would we believe you'll any different next season?

He has said we shall see from the first signing, and the next. Well the first signing is solid and above his present stock, but not really of the top quality we really need. I'll wait for his second.

Last edited:

Wombat

He is a die hard fan. Home and away. One of our best.
I dont know him personally but have seen him at all of our games. If he has stopped going i can only assume its a personal protest.
Going to watch the Swans is the equivalent to a dirty cell protest.
A drastic measure but designed to make people pay attention to your gripes.

FFC Mariner

But you were told that it wouldn't work and you powered on! Why would be believe you'll any different next season?

He has said we shall see from the first signing, and the next. Well the first signing is solid and above his present stock, but not really of the top quality we really need. I'll wait for his second.

Told it wouldn't work and got rid of the dissenters.

ballantyne

One thing I've learnt supporting my local team over the years is that things can always, and often do, get worse.
Last game of the season was an excellent example
So I am expecting worse for next season, with TW sacked between R6 and R9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred