• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Version4 Lineup

Kareem

hey guys
i dont like the idea of playin 2 out and out strikers...last season when Aloisi was there Petrovski or SImon played of his shoulder
ie.
Owens---Pondeljak----Hutch                        (midfield)
----Petrovski/simon--------                          (off shoulder/ in hole striker)
---------Aloisi-------------                            (out and out striker)
Not to mention
a lot of teams do it
MV with Alsopp out and out and AT in the hole (or off the shoulder)
Djite and Burns (in the hole)
etc.
Thats the best way to play a 4-4-2 IMO
so here is wat I suggest
Elrich----Hutch/Owens-------Caceres
-----------Kwas/Petrovski-----------
-----------Mrdja/Macca-------------
I think the closer to goal for Kwassie the better! and the off the shoulder striker need a bit of pace which Sasho lacks lately

bikinigirl

. but strength comes from depth and our depth is in the midfield

. playing to our strength could be better than playing weaker players or players out of position just to maintain a set structure

. edit: sorry, in reply to brett's post

brett

bikinigirl said:

. playing to our strength could be better than playing weaker players or players out of position just to maintain a set structure

Back three is where you would see players out of position or weaker players being used.

Boogs and Wilko select themselves, who is the third in the three? For Ossie or Heff defending isn't their first nature and it wastes what they have going forward. If it's Clarky or Stringers, that player is taking up arguably a stronger player's spot somewhere else.

Back 3 doesn't automatically mean you can chuck whatever 5 midfielders you want in there. You need to use wingbacks. So Heff would be the one on the left anyway, leaving only 4 spots for midfielders, defeating the purpose. If we played a 3 behind a midfield of Elrich - Owens - Jedi - Hutch - Caceres, we will concede many goals.

skilbeck

Kareem said:
hey guys
i dont like the idea of playin 2 out and out strikers...last season when Aloi$i was there Petrovski or SImon played of his shoulder
ie.
Owens---Pondeljak----Hutch                         (midfield)
----Petrovski/simon--------                           (off shoulder/ in hole striker)
---------Aloi$i-------------                            (out and out striker)
Not to mention
a lot of teams do it
etc.
so here is wat I suggest
I think the closer to goal for Kwassie the better! and the off the shoulder striker need a bit of pace which Sasho lacks lately

If we are going to play a deep lying forward, we should have the right person for the job instead of using Petrovski, Kwasnik or Simon. The closest we've ever had to someone who could play in that role was Pondeljak. If we got Dwight Id go with that formation otherwise, we should have 2 out and out forwards and with our wing play this season, 2 out and out forwards would work as it would mean 2 targets in the box instead of 1. These would be complimented by a deep lying playmaker in Hutchinson

Kareem

skilbeck said:
Kareem said:
hey guys
i dont like the idea of playin 2 out and out strikers...last season when Aloi$i was there Petrovski or SImon played of his shoulder
ie.
Owens---Pondeljak----Hutch                         (midfield)
----Petrovski/simon--------                           (off shoulder/ in hole striker)
---------Aloi$i-------------                            (out and out striker)
Not to mention
a lot of teams do it
etc.
so here is wat I suggest

If we are going to play a deep lying forward, we should have the right person for the job instead of using Petrovski, Kwasnik or Simon. The closest we've ever had to someone who could play in that role was Pondeljak. If we got Dwight Id go with that formation otherwise, we should have 2 out and out forwards and with our wing play this season, 2 out and out forwards would work as it would mean 2 targets in the box instead of 1. These would be complimented by a deep lying playmaker in Hutchinson
but the in the hole striker links midfield and the centre forward together...and that was wat Petrvoski was playin when Aloisi was here (probs why he didnt score many at that time)
I  think that may be Kwasnik's best position...now that we got 2 wingers ahead of him...I like him in front of goal a lot more than Simon...and he has more speed than Petrovski!

FFC Mariner

Agree we need cover at the back.

Porter can fill in at FB but as anyone who has seen him play knows, he is an AM at heart and not an out an out defender.

McAndrew might not be ready and we still dont know about Clarkie.

Also, Lawrie said at the Marinators function that he envied MV for the sheer presence and intimidation of opp/refs that Muscat gives them. He said he wanted to see someone take that role at CCM. That is usually a back in most sides so whether he plans to sign a real mongrel or wind up an existing player? Who knows?

skilbeck

Greenpoleffc said:
Agree we need cover at the back.

Porter can fill in at FB but as anyone who has seen him play knows, he is an AM at heart and not an out an out defender.

McAndrew might not be ready and we still dont know about Clarkie.

Also, Lawrie said at the Marinators function that he envied MV for the sheer presence and intimidation of opp/refs that Muscat gives them. He said he wanted to see someone take that role at CCM. That is usually a back in most sides so whether he plans to sign a real mongrel or wind up an existing player? Who knows?

Well Tiatto, Moore and Muscat are under contract and these players have experience. I reckon he should look at his homeland or the Football League for one of those types of players they are abundant in Scottish and lower English Leagues. Either that or Fergie and himself can release all their anger on Jedi

marinermick

brett said:
bikinigirl said:

Back three is where you would see players out of position or weaker players being used.

Boogs and Wilko select themselves, who is the third in the three? For Ossie or Heff defending isn't their first nature and it wastes what they have going forward. If it's Clarky or Stringers, that player is taking up arguably a stronger player's spot somewhere else.

Back 3 doesn't automatically mean you can chuck whatever 5 midfielders you want in there. You need to use wingbacks. So Heff would be the one on the left anyway, leaving only 4 spots for midfielders, defeating the purpose. If we played a 3 behind a midfield of Elrich - Owens - Jedi - Hutch - Caceres, we will concede many goals.

exactly, we essentially have a back three now because one fullback always pushes forward and the other drops to cover

also, we do not play with a sweeper and play very flat at the back so the two stoppers patrol the opposition's two strikers

4-4-2 looks rigid in theory, but under lawrie it is very flexible with the fullbacks playing wingbacks and the outside midfielders often tucking in, or getting very forward wide

c0yle

Elrich was a super striker for Parra power in the NSL, i know he and kwas are not what we have been used to, but if you combine there pace and skill on the ball with the playmaking ability of a midfield of owens, hutchinson, caceres, (with Jedinak holding) i think we could play some more attractive  "total football" i guess is what i'm geting at.As far as defence goes 0'grady is decent, and porter can cover rb, at a pinch we could put Osman in the centre. To be honest i would love to see Porter do well at RB as i think fullbacks should have a good turn of pace, not sure Osman does, but he will do a solid job i guess.

midfielder

c0yle said:
Elrich was a super striker for Parra power in the NSL, i know he and kwas are not what we have been used to, but if you combine there pace and skill on the ball with the playmaking ability of a midfield of owens, hutchinson, caceres, (with Jedinak holding) i think we could play some more attractive  "total football" i guess is what i'm geting at.As far as defence goes 0'grady is decent, and porter can cover rb, at a pinch we could put Osman in the centre. To be honest i would love to see Porter do well at RB as i think fullbacks should have a good turn of pace, not sure Osman does, but he will do a solid job i guess.

He was a wide mid well at least the matches I went to.

midfielder

Bearinator said:
midfielder said:
Porter is shown as a central midfielder on the player link.

He has played full back wide mid and then mainly as a replacement. I would love to see him playing central mids in the trials to see how good he is, or is not, as I feel I have never seen anywhere the best of him.

He has been playing at right mid for lightning, he has been carving, and he is a rocket. The boy has speed.

Hard to compare but Bear if you had to can you describe the type of player he is, does he attack players, or is it his positional play, passing game.

I have often seen him and what he had achieved on his CV at junior level, and given our past & present strenght in mids wonder will if he get a run. I sometime think is he like Zullo at the Roar ........ anyway starting to ramble just very interested in what kinda of style he has.

skilbeck

yeah thats my opinion of him as well I havent seen him at his best. the closest that most have seen would be his game against Melbourne when he came on in the last 10 minutes and combined with Simon well. if you remember that game we came from behind and won 2-1 in the last 10 and i attribute that to Porter and Simon

midfielder

That was a game IMO we were very lucky to win ......... used up a lot KAMA that night .... but Porter passing game and crosses from wide into the centre that night made a big difference.

skilbeck

midfielder said:
That was a game IMO we were very lucky to win ......... used up a lot KAMA that night .... but Porter passing game and crosses from wide into the centre that night made a big difference.

it turned out that the karma we used then won us the premiership (as well as all the other close games in the regular season), i wouldnt have traded that karma for the grand final where we wouldve lost the premiership but won the one game

midfielder

skilbeck said:
midfielder said:

it turned out that the karma we used then won us the premiership (as well as all the other close games in the regular season), i wouldnt have traded that karma for the grand final where we wouldve lost the premiership but won the one game

We used up all the Kama we got on the Victory when we played the Choppers two player sent off four carried off and blind and deaf ref gave match to Choppers ..Aggggrrrrrrrrrrr never forget that night

bikinigirl

marinermick said:
brett said:
bikinigirl said:

exactly, we essentially have a back three now because one fullback always pushes forward and the other drops to cover

also, we do not play with a sweeper and play very flat at the back so the two stoppers patrol the opposition's two strikers

4-4-2 looks rigid in theory, but under lawrie it is very flexible with the fullbacks playing wingbacks and the outside midfielders often tucking in, or getting very forward wide

. guys you may (or may not) have missed my point

. i was not suggesting this was optimal, but was suggesting as an option if we needed to cover for injury to the first choice back 4 as our depth in that area was being questioned (and may only be feasible with both wilko & boogs still available)

. if necessary jedi could move into the back 3 (as he did last year) with hutcho in front. having somebody fill in at RB has caused us problems in the past with a CB continually being pulled out of position to cover

. i was only suggesting as a temporary solution (in this case) - our current signings indicate a wider, more attacking midfield

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred