• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Version4 Lineup

Kareem

DONNA said:
matt osman can play pretty much any position his put in.
osman for GK!!! Vukovic's replacement :p
seriously though I reckon he wouldnt be bad in goals for an outfield player- he just gives me that sort of impression as a player for some weired reason
here is two ideas
--------Vukovic-----------
Osman-Wilko---Boogs---Heff
--------Jedi--------------
---------Hutch/Owens-----------
---Elrcih---------Caceres
---------Kwas------------
---------Mrdja/Petrovski------------
or
--------Vukovic-----------
Osman-Wilko---Boogs---Heff
--------Jedi--------------
---------Hutch/Owens-----------
---Elrcih/Kwas---------Caceres
---------Petrovski------------
---------Mrdja------------
I like 1st one better

Jesus

Jesus
shipwreck said:
Why hutch for a starting spot? He was rated the second most influential player in the HAL last year behind Joel Griffiths, do you think its coz of re-structuring our team with the new players that will nudge him out?
He is a good bloke. His passing was pretty good. But when tommy was in the middle it added alot to our attack. With hutch there we lacked alot of creativity. Even though his work rate was very good last season compared to the previous 2 IMO, very good, i think that lawrie probably has his sites on someone playing a bit more attacking in the centre in front of jedi. Since he put tommy in the middle and shifted hutch, rather than playing tommy wide.

Don

didn't think of gk but you never know.
think he was starting to like it where he was playing before hr got injured.

Bear

rosko said:
We really are thin up front

I disagree with that 100%
Of the players we have in our squad, Elrich, Kwas, Sasho, Nik, Macca, Caceres, Hutch, Owens, Simon and O'Grady ;) have all played up front at some stage in the last 3 years for their clubs, and with mostly good effect. We have THE most flexible squad in the a-league.

midfielder

Porter is shown as a central midfielder on the player link.

He has played full back wide mid and then mainly as a replacement. I would love to see him playing central mids in the trials to see how good he is, or is not, as I feel I have never seen anywhere the best of him.

marinermick

Bearinator said:
rosko said:
We really are thin up front

I disagree with that 100%
Of the players we have in our squad, Elrich, Kwas, Sasho, Nik, Macca, Caceres, Hutch, Owens, Simon and O'Grady ;) have all played up front at some stage in the last 3 years for their clubs, and with mostly good effect. We have THE most flexible squad in the a-league.

agree with all those names except stringers

all he has ever done up front is give away yellow cards

i still think we are short one absolute quality striker that could put away 10+ goals a year that is needed to be premiers - nik is the only one that could fit that bill

Bear

midfielder said:
Porter is shown as a central midfielder on the player link.

He has played full back wide mid and then mainly as a replacement. I would love to see him playing central mids in the trials to see how good he is, or is not, as I feel I have never seen anywhere the best of him.

He has been playing at right mid for lightning, he has been carving, and he is a rocket. The boy has speed.

dibo

marinermick said:
i still think we are short one absolute quality striker that could put away 10+ goals a year that is needed to be premiers - nik is the only one that could fit that bill

are we talking about players who could or should score double figures?

they're not common:
newcastle (c**tface)
melbourne (thompson)
sydney (aloisi).

remember as well that c**tface and thompson are really covering bases for two players - they don't have much backup. sydney's at least got brosque, and with musialik there that's a good reason to be worried about them this year.

depending on how big dyl goes, he may fit the bill. remember that people weren't that thrilled with c**tface before he returned, and look how he's turned out.

nevertheless, we now have quite a few options at the pointy end-

macallister
petrovski
simon
mrdja (if he stays)
cattanach (if the rumours are true)

how many more would you want? most of all, with that number of options, we're not in a newcastle or melbourne position where our superstar must score bags or we'll miss the finals. we've got enough players who've banged in a number of goals to be a threat:

kwasnik and hutchinson are both threats (25 goals between them over the last 3 years). add to that caceres, jedinak, owens, heffernan, elrich... we should be able to put a couple away.

marinermick

dibo said:
marinermick said:

are we talking about players who could or should score double figures?

they're not common:
newcastle (c**tface)
melbourne (thompson)
sydney (Aloi$i).

remember as well that c**tface and thompson are really covering bases for two players - they don't have much backup. sydney's at least got brosque, and with musialik there that's a good reason to be worried about them this year.

depending on how big dyl goes, he may fit the bill. remember that people weren't that thrilled with c**tface before he returned, and look how he's turned out.

nevertheless, we now have quite a few options at the pointy end-

macallister
petrovski
simon
mrdja (if he stays)
cattanach (if the rumours are true)

how many more would you want? most of all, with that number of options, we're not in a newcastle or melbourne position where our superstar must score bags or we'll miss the finals. we've got enough players who've banged in a number of goals to be a threat:

kwasnik and hutchinson are both threats (25 goals between them over the last 3 years). add to that caceres, jedinak, owens, heffernan, elrich... we should be able to put a couple away.

i'm saying that we need a prolific striker to win the premiership and not hope on makeshift strikers (midfielders) like we did in season two, or even season one

the only prolific striker we have now is mrdja and he is both unreliable and untested at being prolific over a period of time

sasho is getting older and slower

dylan's goalscoring record is poor for a striker

matty s has not scored a goal yet

the rest are midfielders who are risks as makeshift strikers (see how poor caceras has done in the ACL as striker) and not upon whom you should be resting the chunk of goals for the season

not going for another proven goal scorer may pay off but i think it will be a massive risk and we could go down the path of season two

nero

---------------------------------Vuks---------------------------------------------

Osman--------------Wilkinson(c)------------Boogard----------------Heffernan

--------------Jedinak--------------------------------------------
Elrich-------------------------------Hutchinson------------Caceres

-------------------------sasho----------Nic/Macca(Unreliable, bring in Matty)--------------------

Ursus

Everyone is talking about strikers.
The back four in everyone's team so far is the same. Who is pushing them for a place? How many backups for injuries?
Think about some balance.

nero

Note: If Marja is fit and plays throughout the season like he did at the start of last season. With the team below we can win this comp. Lets smash SFC.

---------------------------------Vuks---------------------------------------------

Osman--------------Wilkinson(c)------------Boogard----------------Heffernan

--------------Jedinak--------------------------------------------
Elrich-------------------------------Hutchinson------------Caceres

-------------------------sasho----------Nic/Macca(Unreliable, bring in Matty)--------------------

trev

hey i am with the people who want another back because we have the talent to score goals (not saying that our back line is crap) but i feel that we need another back just to be sure because o'grady played crap last year and if any1 gets injured i feel we need some1 better than him to reasure the back line stays strong

bikinigirl

. not disagreeing with who or what we need but don't forget we have a big fella with a lightsabre that could fill in at the back (and hutch does play well in the defensive mid role imo)

. or we could switch to a back 3 if need be

scottmac

Suspended
With the midfield talent we have, if we do not sign another defender, I think LM will play a back three. Jedi to play at the back of the midfield.

brett

Ursus said:
Everyone is talking about strikers.
The back four in everyone's team so far is the same. Who is pushing them for a place? How many backups for injuries?
Think about some balance.

Precisely.

Unless we can sign a super marquee, we have enough strikers. I agree with Mick that in the ideal squad you have one player who can score 9+ goals. But what we have is 4 strikers who may or may not reach those heights. To sign another striker like Cattanach would just be wasting squad spaces.

I too would like to see another decent defender come in. Jedi, Hutch, Caceres, Kwas, Owens will all contribute a few goals so if we can keep clean sheets we should be right to win most of those games.

If none of the strikers stand up and do the job, Lawrie will have to learn from it and go for quality over quantity in future.

Also, remember Sasho scored 8 goals and hypothetically would have grabbed one or two more had Aloisi not showed up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred