• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

Holy

Honestly, just when you thought we had got over all the stupid sh@t our owner dreams up and we're on the way to rebuilding the culture.

I wonder if he do any DJing while he's here. We might see the return of Disco Nik

scottmac

Suspended
FOOTBALL
Olympic sprint sensation Usain Bolt sets his sights on playing for Mariners in the A-League
EXCLUSIVE TOM SMITHIES, The Daily Telegraph
July 17, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only
FROM running spikes to football studs, the fastest man in history has set his sights on playing in the A-League.

Advanced negotiations have brought 100m and 200m world record holder Usain Bolt to the brink of a shock trial with the Central Coast Mariners, with the promise of a season-long contract on offer if he proves himself in a six-week audition.

In a move that would focus the sporting world’s eyes on the A-League, three months of talks have convinced both Jamaican sprint king Bolt and the Mariners that a deal can be clinched that could transform the competition’s profile for next season.

ANALYSIS: Bolt is what the A-League is desperate for

e5811640d8a91dc33b68537e14f3525e

Usain Bolt standing on the podium during the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
The trial would be similar to the one Jarryd Hayne underwent before earning a NFL contract with the San Francisco 49ers, and would neutralise any claims that Bolt’s signature is simply a gimmick.

Though the precise terms of the deal, including its financing, are still being worked through, it’s hoped Manchester United fan Bolt would begin a trial in mid-August, as part of the Mariners’ pre-season program.

661bfad80deb2eae572d5b06118f4823

Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt played a practice match with the Melbourne Heart youth team on AAMI Park,
It’s understood that the Mariners’ new sporting director, Mike Phelan – a former Manchester United coach who played and coached under Sir Alex Ferguson during 19 years in total at Old Trafford - would have a brief to supervise Bolt’s trial and maximise his chances of success.

New Mariners boss Mike Mulvey, a Manchester United youth player, has embraced the plan.

Bolt played both football and cricket growing up in his native Jamaica before concentrating on his athletics career to become the fastest man ever.

loader.gif

The eight-time Olympic gold medallist retired from the track last year after rewriting athletics history by shattering records and securing 11 world titles.

Bolt has since set his sights on a professional football stint, and has already trialled with Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund in March and Norwegian side Stromsgodset last month.

The 195cm left-footer wore the number 9.58 shirt in reference to his 100m world record time during his 20-minute stint for Stromsgodset against the Norway under-19s.

Neither trial produced a contract, but Bolt has not given up.

“I want to try to get better, to work as hard as I can, play as much as I can. Maybe a club will see something and decide to give me a chance,” Bolt, who turns 32 next month, said after his Norway cameo.

That club looks to be the Mariners. Though the agent who has put the plan together, Tony Rallis, had significant interest from several A-League clubs, the Mariners were the one who entered negotiations seriously, and are increasingly confident of landing a unique marquee signing.

The proposed multi-million-dollar deal would be largely underwritten by the club and a network of several leading Australian companies, though it is currently unclear whether Football Federation Australia would be prepared to contribute to the deal through its marquee marketing fund.

9d7e670fa29e8700efd4d3d805522b9d

Usain Bolt looks set for a stint with the Mariners
A spokesman said the FFA would not comment on individual cases, but Rallis said the governing body was as aware as anyone of the need to reignite interest in the league.

“We’re all stakeholders in the game and there’s no doubt the A-League is stagnating,” Rallis said. “After the season we had, we need a signing with benefits for the whole competition.

“There’s no doubt this unique athlete would give us exposure and a profile that we have lacked recently.

“Crucially, it’s not a gimmick, but real trial much like Jarryd Hayne underwent.

“Usain will only do this if he can help a club and can contribute on the pitch.”

Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp said the club had researched Bolt’s suitability before agreeing to pursue the trial.

22716c267a6ee0221c2f44e3558faeb0

Jamaican sprint legend Usain Bolt has always spoken of hs passion for football
“Apart from him obviously being extremely fast the feedback we have received from Germany and Norway is that he is a very good learner and shows dramatic improvement after every training session,” Mielekamp said.

“This is a very real football opportunity, this is not a stunt or gimmick – we want to know if Usain can play. If he can, let’s light up the A-League and bring one of the biggest named athletes in sport to the Central Coast.”

Usain Bolt would be huge for the A-League, even if it is just a trial.

Hope he makes the grade, would be great exposure seeing him play this season https://t.co/9U7rOFnltR

— Jason (@JasonofSuburbia) July 16, 2018

Michael

This grinds my gears.
He’s fast, so what?
He’s only ever played charity matches and in all honesty has been absolute piss.
What a f**king gimmick
The only reason Dortmund ever let him train is because he’s a puma athlete and it was all a marketing play.
Exactly what this is.

There are better footballers in MAA9 on the coast that should now be considered for a trial if we’re just handing them out.

What a pisstake.

Michael

Just like the Luis Garcia stunt. Yeah cool a Liverpool legend played a few games and we sold some jerseys with his name.
If there’s money to pay for this kind of shit then spend that money on the entirety of the mandatory salary cap. Now, I know the majority of our fan base is probably the least educated in football in australia.
But please, Maybe for the first time in years sign a high quality player that “no one” knows and by the end of it, love.

mick

I am absolutely dumbfounded by the negativity about Usain Bolt coming to our club to trial and potentially play. I am loosing my mind with excitement and so will my kids. Shaun please let me know when the first training session is so I can be there along with the world's media who will cover this. Sign me up for 5 Bolt jerseys.

Ozhammer

I get the natural reaction of many that this is nothing but a gimmick but let’s give the guy a chance. Who knows, he might turn out to be a Bolter? (see what I did there?) :headbounce:

I highly doubt MMM & NM will allow this to distract unnecessarily from pre-season preparations. If he’s good enough in their eyes then fair enough and if not, then we get some free publicity and move on.

Hopefully there are more serious and proven individuals in the pipeline but at least we have something to debate eh?

Gratis

I'm good with this. It'll bring attention and revenue to the club and a) if it works - great, but b) if not - 6week trial is over and we all move on.

Win win

Last edited:

Offsider

Call me old fashioned, well I am old, but somebody please explain to me how spending millions on an untried media campaign no better than turning the club into a circus attraction ................. is better than spending the same amount of money on the full cap on exciting visa players that will play attractive football.

My take ...... this is not about the football club playing football.

It is about the new coe salesman getting instant recognition worldwide for his product as being the club where bolt played.

I have no where near enough aldi casks to get me over this news today...............

My commisserations to simon and gameiro ............. :(

Offsider

I'm good with this. It'll bring attention and revenue to the club and a) if it works - great, but b) if not - 6week trial is over and we all love on.

Win win

“Love on” ........... I think not.:vomit:
If it fails, the alternative of spending the circus money on decent proven visa players will long leave a bitter taste.

adz

Staff member
@Offsider re: the spending, I think in this case - as with the Luis Garcia deal - there will be sponsors lining up to get in on this one, whereas that's probably not the case for some visa player that will play attractive football.

marinermick

Call me old fashioned, well I am old, but somebody please explain to me how spending millions on an untried media campaign no better than turning the club into a circus attraction ................. is better than spending the same amount of money on the full cap on exciting visa players that will play attractive football.

My take ...... this is not about the football club playing football.

It is about the new coe salesman getting instant recognition worldwide for his product as being the club where bolt played.

I have no where near enough aldi casks to get me over this news today...............

My commisserations to simon and gameiro ............. :(

I see your point of view on this with it being a sideshow.

There is one major point however in regards to buying a multi-million footballer instead. It is that the money won't be there for that footballer. MC and Rallis are now doing deals with sponsors because he is Usian.

My other take on this is that it may bring publicity in the form of new investment or a new owner for the club. We can only dream.

adz

Staff member
Has it been on yet? I couldn't get my piece of shite computer to play it and it's apparent;y "Tin thirty eight" there now

Edit - nevermind here they go

Ancient Mariner

After some disbelief I am fascinated by this whole deal.

It may be gimmicky in the extreme, but I cannot think of a better publicity stunt to bring attention to the Central Coast Mariners.

To all the naysayers, chill out. He has to get through a six week trial. I cannot imagine him getting a contract if he cannot prove he is up to a standard.

But then how difficult will that be?

He is faster than either Austin or Buhagier.
Is it possible he may have better ball skills than either? Truly not a big ask.

IF he does and IF he can cross, this could be exciting.

All in all, a great bit of publicity which may upset some purists but will generate interest from Coasties who we are trying to attract to both the matches and the game of football.

ballantyne

Aaaaaawwwwesome. Here's some more ideas, Shaun:
CentreHalfTron - a robot from the future.
Teddy Tiger - a thylacine grown from stem cells
Professor Brian Cox
Keef from The Prodigy
and in goal, 240,000 tiny huntsman spiders.
It's fairy tale stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred