• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

marinermick

Those media dollar figures came from Tony Rallis's Soccer Stoppage Time twitter account, so you can probably halve the value and halve the value again.

FFC Mariner

One for the marketing people:
You have a budget of $4.5m to be spent in 1 day to promote the brand alongside a world famous sportsman from another sport.
There is no call to action, no offer.
How do you track the return?

mick

Ok so let's just say with our current squad we win the league this year or we sign Bolt and finish bottom of the pack which outcome would you think would generate the most income through bums on seats and sponsors. And longer term which would be better for the club ? Best thing at the moment is the Bolt coverage has brought this forum to life again. Love the passion from both sides of the discussion.

TedShot

Really depends on the objective- brand awareness, sponsorship, membership. There is a B2B and B2C element, both are things the club would be focused on. B2B would be relatively easy to track in terms of sponsorship interest.
The rest, have there being spikes in membership enquiries the last couple of days? Is the draw being downloaded at a higher rate? social media mentions/follows increased?

The problem is there is all of this interest and chatter, but the message hasn't been controlled (at least from what I have seen). The club is being referred to as wooden spoon recipients, which is true, but there is a truth that would better benefit the club - Usain Bolt set to trial with two time Premiership winning club, Central Coast Mariners" sounds a bit better and could progress people down their 'purchase journey' at a more successful rate.

marinermick

Ok so let's just say with our current squad we win the league this year or we sign Bolt and finish bottom of the pack which outcome would you think would generate the most income through bums on seats and sponsors. And longer term which would be better for the club ? Best thing at the moment is the Bolt coverage has brought this forum to life again. Love the passion from both sides of the discussion.

Sydney FC has shown in the past two seasons that being arguably the best team in A-League history does not bring you success off the field in terms of extra attendees, members and sponsors.

Sadly professional football has changed dramatically in the past two decades. We now sit in the entertainment industry competing against the various outlets these produce. Impressions and engagement are now the driving factors and metrics gauging a football club's success.Results on the pitch alone are no longer a factor. Still a key factor, but no longer a sole factor.

The football purists here are hating it and I can understand why but if we stay rooted to past tactics, keep doing the same thing, we can expect the same results. We need innovative thoughts and actions to engage an increasingly disloyal and fickle entertainment seeking audience, that consumes in short and diverse bursts.

And our club more than most in the A-League need more innovation given the small resources we have.

Like it or not this is the reality we are in. Professional football is a circus of sorts. FIFA paid credence to that with their money hungry whoring. The place of football purity is disappearing in professional football and most other professional sports. This is why the purists are flocking to "real football" like the NPL and local clubs. Similar things are happening in other sports. The NSW rugby comp has never been stronger in terms of crowds.

I honestly do see how the Bolt publicity would get on the nose of people. The club must embrace this opportunity without compromising the brand which is the most important element at stake here. So far I think the delivery from the Mariners has been measured and spot on. What they do from here intrigues me.

The big question marks that need to be addressed in the coming months are:
- How do we see the Bolt thing through without hurting brand and adversely compromising the already poor football team quality given that it is highly unlikely that Bolt will get through the trial?
- How does the club actually convert Bolt impressions and publicity into tangible revenue (that FFC Mariner alluded to)?

If either one of the above points are not achieved then the exercise is a failure and publicity alone is not a justifiable reason to bring him here.

Coastalraider

Sydney FC has shown in the past two seasons that being arguably the best team in A-League history does not bring you success off the field in terms of extra attendees, members and sponsors.

Sadly professional football has changed dramatically in the past two decades. We now sit in the entertainment industry competing against the various outlets these produce. Impressions and engagement are now the driving factors and metrics gauging a football club's success.Results on the pitch alone are no longer a factor. Still a key factor, but no longer a sole factor.

The football purists here are hating it and I can understand why but if we stay rooted to past tactics, keep doing the same thing, we can expect the same results. We need innovative thoughts and actions to engage an increasingly disloyal and fickle entertainment seeking audience, that consumes in short and diverse bursts.

And our club more than most in the A-League need more innovation given the small resources we have.

Like it or not this is the reality we are in. Professional football is a circus of sorts. FIFA paid credence to that with their money hungry whoring. The place of football purity is disappearing in professional football and most other professional sports. This is why the purists are flocking to "real football" like the NPL and local clubs. Similar things are happening in other sports. The NSW rugby comp has never been stronger in terms of crowds.

I honestly do see how the Bolt publicity would get on the nose of people. The club must embrace this opportunity without compromising the brand which is the most important element at stake here. So far I think the delivery from the Mariners has been measured and spot on. What they do from here intrigues me.

The big question marks that need to be addressed in the coming months are:
- How do we see the Bolt thing through without hurting brand and adversely compromising the already poor football team quality given that it is highly unlikely that Bolt will get through the trial?
- How does the club actually convert Bolt impressions and publicity into tangible revenue (that FFC Mariner alluded to)?

If either one of the above points are not achieved then the exercise is a failure and publicity alone is not a justifiable reason to bring him here.

Really good point Marinermick.

The other part to that comparison that you didnt touch on is that we wont be spending the money on a squad that will win the comp. Sad, but fact. So the comparison should be 'what would be better, signing Bolt and finishing last, or signing what we can afford, and finishing 6-8?'

Rowdy

Really depends on the objective- brand awareness, sponsors. There is a B2B and B2C element, both are things the club would be focused on. B2B would be relatively easy to track in terms of sponsorship interest.
The rest, have there being spikes in membership enquiries the last couple of days? Is the draw being downloaded at a higher rate? social media mentions/follows increased?

The problem is there is all of this interest and chatter, but the message hasn't been controlled (at least from what I have seen). The club is being referred to as wooden spoon recipients, which is true, but there is a truth that would better benefit the club - Usain Bolt set to trial with two time Premiership winning club, Central Coast Mariners" sounds a bit better and could progress people down their 'purchase journey' at a more successful rate.

Coincidentally, I feel the Club have overlooked the B1& B2 aspect of this marketing strategy .........

banana.jpg

Offsider

Really depends on the objective- brand awareness, sponsorship, membership. There is a B2B and B2C element, both are things the club would be focused on. B2B would be relatively easy to track in terms of sponsorship interest.

Let’s give that approach a name ............. liberal’s trickledown jobs and growth theory 2.

It doesn’t matter. The past is the past and history will forever record the two shit spoons. What the owner of the club should be focused on is avoiding a third spoon. :doh::doh:

Big Al

Whilst I understand that some folks see the whole Bolt situation as being nothing more than a sideshow distraction, I am of the understanding that MMM is solely focusing on preparing the current squad for the upcoming FFA cup game and subsequent season.

The decision not to play any open pre-season games prior to the Adelaide game is, as I understand it a deliberate one, as the coaching staff are focusing primarily on fitness and intra-club games, where tactics and formations can be worked on. I understand that the awaited pre-season games will come after the FFA cup game, so we just need to trust that MMM and his team know what they are doing.

My sources tell me that the whole Bolt deal is entirely its own animal and all other recruitment planning is proceeding as it otherwise would, with signings to be announced once deals are in place. As frustrating as that may be for all of us, club included, I would personally much rather we made the right signings than quick ones.

There is no point in tearing ourselves apart as fans right now, we just need to let the various processes run and see where they take us.
While strategic it’s an attitude that also rubs fans the wrong way.

Not having trial games before a national competition which we routinely get beaten by supposedly lower teams is an embarrassment. We shows it no respect. We see it as a cost not an honor.
For us it’s if we win then we have to play again and that means travel and that’s not in the budget.

We don’t take football seriously so know wonder everyone is laughing at us right now about Bolt.

Rowdy

Just goes to show that the Clubs decision of 'going for the spotlight' instead of waiting until they actually got him on the Coast has potentially become a case of CCM 'shooting themselves in the foot'
....... should of just kept it between those that needed to know instead of showboating to the world.
ie. (MC, SM, MM, MPhelan & Bolt’s management)

* hindsight is a beautiful thing :cool:

With Marketing Vultures now circling, we might be best to to shut the gate as 'Bolt may well have Bolted' like a proverbial horse to greener pastures.

Big Al

Just goes to show that the Clubs decision of 'going for the spotlight' instead of waiting until they actually got him on the Coast has potentially become a case of CCM 'shooting themselves in the foot'
....... should of just kept it between those that needed to know instead of showboating to the world.
ie. (MC, SM, MM, MPhelan & Bolt’s management)

* hindsight is a beautiful thing :cool:

With Marketing Vultures now circling, we might be best to to shut the gate as 'Bolt may well have Bolted' like a proverbial horse to greener pastures.
Hope they are happy with clicks. The bank balance doesn’t care but everyone else seems happy.

I’d say bolts agent played them a bit as well. Flushed out some offers

Big Al

Sorry, dont quite understand both of your points ??
A page back i said basically the article and you said to me what changed my mind or did I know something to have that feeling.
I said no just a feeling.

After the article I’m saying i should of talked myself up.

It’s pretty much how the world runs these days any thing said yesterday is old news. Haha. I should of linked your comment. My bad

Rowdy

Yeah your right,

"Independent media monitoring analysis conducted by the club has shown 130 million people read about Bolt's link in the 30 hours following the revelations."
(from the SMH article)

...... so it was all about the 'likes' :thumbup:
spending money to an independent third party analytic to confirm it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred