• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

UEFA Champions League, Round of 8

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Man U v Porto

WELL....the Rooney and Tevez show came to town, the little porto fella got one 4 minutes in..Wayne's gone BOLLOCKS and equalised at the 15 odd minute mark....late in the second half... Rooney's  back heel was completely bonz...Tevez thought so....but of course Phil's brother Gary got caught out of his possie again and the Bondi Burgers got the equalizer...BUGGER....

dibo

From The Guardian: Tired Manchester United in danger of collapse after shunning home comforts

Despite their huge squad, Sir Alex Ferguson's men look dangerously like a team who have shot their bolt

Dejected-Manchester-Unite-001.jpg

Dejected Manchester United players look bewildered after Porto's late equaliser shifted the balance of the tie in their favour. Photograph: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport/PA Photos

Winning is a desirable habit but it's less advisable to become too attached to one particular method. A quirk of the Uefa computer means that Manchester United have become accustomed to playing the away leg first in Europe and that fact was painfully apparent in their draw with Porto at Old Trafford tonight.

Like a cricket team who are much more successful when batting second, United seemed to have no awareness of how to set a target, as you are supposed to do if the first leg is at home. Would 2-1 be acceptable? 1-0? United struggled to calculate the appropriate degree of risk, and the consequence was an infectiously ramshackle contest: unusually in the modern game, both teams wanted to score one more than the other rather than concede one fewer. Never mind a victory: in the end, United were fortunate to get 2-2.

There were strong shades of another 2-2 draw in the first leg of the semi-final against Bayer Leverkusen in 2002. As then, an injury-affected United were unfocused and, perhaps, subconsciously complacent. Certainly the crowd, a whinging shower who gave one of the worst displays ever, seemed to think they just had to turn up and swing a boot on the seat in front as their side won 24-0.

United went out on away goals in the second leg of that Leverkusen match and, strangely, it is a decade since they won a European knockout tie in which the first leg was at home; even then they had to win in Juventus to go through. Since then they have played 14 knockout ties; in only four of those did they play at home in the first leg, and they went out each time. By contrast, United have won the last six matches in which they have played the first leg away from home. It's a nice fit for a team who are so capable on the counter-attack, but having to dictate play from the start seemed to frazzle their brains.

The confusion was confounded by a palpable nervousness that was supposed to have been blown away by Federico Macheda against Aston Villa on Sunday. If anything United were worse tonight. In the opening 30 minutes certain players, particularly Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes, looked like they had the yips. It was unusual enough to see those two misplace passes; that they were misplacing them by yards was utterly surreal.

Rank defending is becoming a more familiar sight when United play: in the first half an hour they were remarkably incompetent, and should have been at least 3-1 down to an excellent and admirably intrepid Porto side. Up until they hosted Liverpool last month they had conceded seven goals in the previous games; since then they have conceded 10 in four.

Injuries and suspensions do not help but, even with such a powerful squad, United are starting to look dangerously like a side who have shot their bolt in this most congested of seasons. Already they have played 53 games, with at least another 10 to come. Carrick looks completely gone, while Scholes is in the sort of slump that, at his age, tends to prompt career obituaries. Gary Neville's should have been written a year ago.

Such fatigue is often the case at the business end of a long season. United limped over the line in their Treble season; Arsenal's Invincibles won only four of their last 12 games in all competitions; Blackburn's champions lost three of their last five. "When it goes," Ferguson said as that Blackburn side started to wobble, "it goes quickly, and there is nothing you can do about it." Those words look truer than ever now.

jarrad

I'm lost in two minds.
Do I want Liverpool to get knocked out of CL and concentrate on EPL?
Do I want Man United to beat Porto in the second leg and only lose in the Final?
The most important thing for Rafa right now is the EPL.
We can't let Manchester match us for 18 league titles..
Does that mean we only concentrate on the EPL, keep our men fit
and take a knock out of the Champions league?

Not too surprised about either result
-United in bad form
-Arsenal, Villareal are pretty much matched.

Tomorrow morning:
Chelsea - Liverpool
2-1 Liverpool (It is at the Bridge, right?)

Barcelona - Bayern
3-2 Barca (Valdes is playing :p)

serious14

That is the worst I have seen us play in a long time...... quite frankly, we were shit, and I'm at a loss as to explain why (has been like this for a couple of weeks now). 

Time for another minor miracle in the second leg - no British team has ever beaten Porto at home.

mariners4ever

serious14 said:
That is the worst I have seen us play in a long time...... quite frankly, we were shit, and I'm at a loss as to explain why (has been like this for a couple of weeks now). 

+1 and we only scored from a stupid defence mistake and poor marking(i know the flick on was good, but TBF, someone from porto should've always been on tevez)
also TBH i don't think the whole rotating players helps either, mind you, we had a pretty good bench, it just mucks the system and tactics

jarrad

:D Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea 6th minute. Fernando Torresssss!

His armband proved he was a red (Torres, torres)
You'll never walk alone it said (Torres, Torres)

We brought him down from sunny spain, he gets the ball he scores again.
Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9!

FFC Mariner

Bayern got done 4-0 to this years winners so going out now probably doesnt matter too much.

(Now hoping for a filth/Barca final and a 5-0 win to Barca)

Sym

Chelsea v Barca final = impossible
anyways, we've shown over the past seasons that we can defeat them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred