• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tony Walmsley's Yellow Army!

VicMariner

This part is true - though from what I hear that may be overstating it. However, a relatively small investment on a experienced CB ( not one from the Vic NPL that will be match ready by the end of the season when their contract runs out), a true #10 could transform this team into one that doesn't leak like a sieve and also creates some real chances. This has been the case for 2 seasons. A striker may also be needed but Roy if he had a true #10 behind him might be good enough
But we are creating chances. We could have been up 2-0 last night. The game would have been completely different.
Earlier in the season we were creating them by the bucket load.
We desperately need to start scoring or get someone who can.
The defense needs tightening too obviously but if we had sunk half our chances we'd be in the top four saying what a good job our bunch of kids are doing.
Heff or Roy need to get into gear or MC splash for a marquee striker.

pjennings

Heff while from all accounts is great at controlling the ball and is a decent striker he is completely unfit. By the time the season , and his contract, ends he may be approaching the fitness we need. Signing him and the young CB so far outside their normal season suggests they will not add anything worthwhile. TBH a larger investment would have added value, I suspect both these signings won't for this season.

Rowdy

Heff while from all accounts is great at controlling the ball and is a decent striker he is completely unfit.

Been saying it for weeks, he looks like he needs to shed a few kgs for this step up to HAL. To be fair to him, your right, no pre-season with us & coming from VicNPL out of season only playing FFA games didnt help him or US.

Walmsley needs to use him like a Viduka, keep him high, and more importantly CENTRAL and always on the shoulder of the last defender.

Playing with his back to goal - a'la Dukes, help him at training to work on his turn, & with verbalised confidence from TW - give him licence to shooooooot as often as he can.

Whats he like at shooting from the edges of the 18 yrd ?????
Let's find out !!!!! Because thats what/who we need at the moment, were butchering most of the 10 yard stuff. :confused:

Roy'O can & WILL do all the doggies; Heff just needs to get on the end of balls and SCOOOOOORE!

Heff, 'your only on a 12mnth deal. Pull your finger out, starting eating clean lose those few kg's and have a crack my son.
This could BE 'your 1 shot ....your 1 opportunity' . You need to put this shit on repeat & 'Dont Lose yourself '

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

TW said at the pre game that Heff is by far the best finisher at the club, he is finding the pace a step up from the NPL but that the tactics employed so far have not suited his game.
I hope that Roy watched the SFC game last night and saw the sitters that marquee player Holosko butchered, should make him feel a bit better.

Forum Phoenix

Not sure if we should be worried or or excited that he thinks a recent NPL player - albeit an NPL standout - is "by far a better finisher" than everyone else in our squad? ;)

Is everyone else that bad, or is Heff just that good? Presumably he means that good, then we obviously need to change the system to suit him as he mentioned...but we are waiting on time to adjust (and probably fitness)? Love to know how long they think this might take...

Maybe I just have a terminology problem, otherwise are there conflicting ideas in here? Finishing at pace (like Roy has been trying to do) is a much harder skill than when you move slowly and have a lot of time. And unless you can move quickly and make the right runs, you don't even get chances like those two one on ones Roy blew last game. So best finisher, but can't handle the pace yet seems like an oxymoron.

So does TW mean his final shot after receiving a good ball in or anywhere around the box is superior if he has the time he requires to shoot? Or does he mean his finishing speed is excellent once on the ball, but just his general movement is too slow? (which it clearly was against WSW) Or both?

Anyway, that's good to hear they feel so strongly about his shooting at the least. So lets hope he can, and does adjust swiftly to the pace. Otherwise being an outstanding finisher when the pace is slow, unfortunately may never translate to even being a half decent finisher when the pace is fast. :unsure:

Last edited:

Rowdy

Walmsley has stated that our formation and tactics haven't suited Heff.

So TW;

Why did you bring him off the bench (mostly) and give him a start in another, KNOWING the above statement you made ??? Hoping he'd 'jag' one or two perhaps?

What is the best formation &/or tactics to suit him ???

How long before we start seeing it and or them ???

I think if used appropriately Heff could become a real asset.
If not used appropriately, he's just a waste of money, time and space. :(

style_cafe

Superannuation probably would have taken a decent chunk of it, plus debts to other organisations (think the stadium bills, including the cost of the video screen); there's probably $3-4m in losses over that period that he would have had to fund as well.

Well the video screen is a waste of money.
It is heavily censored & we can`t see the time clock from past the halfway line.
It`s an absolute joke!!

Luca Brasi

TW commented that playing 3 up front with 2 wingers restricted the use of Roy + Heff; when we have played 2 up front the combination of Roy + Heff has not clicked (although in theory it should, mobile striker playing alongside target man) and v scum he was taken off for tactical reasons following McGing send off.
Another work in progress I guess.

dibo

Well the video screen is a waste of money.
It is heavily censored & we can`t see the time clock from past the halfway line.
It`s an absolute joke!!
I can see it just fine, and it's 'censored' because that's standard practice at all football games, not just CCM games but around the world. And we have to have it because it's in the basic requirements (notice that every ground has one, even the regional grounds have to hire one if they host - need to show all the sponsor messages etc.).

Gratis

Most who know me here probably realise I'm the eternal optimist and always see the potential and development with our club and look forward to where things are going.

I really like the philosophy of the coaches, the attitude and effort of the players and the potential for what we may be able to do and have already done (despite some poor refereeing short changing us). We have some very talented players who, once things click, are going to do some real damage.

I have to say though, in the context of the other clubs, I am not feeling very good about the remainder of this season. What we are doing may be encouraging but we are barely up to A-League standards at the moment. The wooden spoon is beckoning and whilst I can handing not having a stellar season while we rebuild being absolutely milked for points by every other team each week will not be good for the club, players, morale or fan base.

A win in Perth is an absolute must and then we need to start bedding down some performances and results. Anything less and it could be a downward spiral. I reiterate that some well researched signings are a must in January, which is thankfully not that far away now.

style_cafe

I can see it just fine, and it's 'censored' because that's standard practice at all football games, not just CCM games but around the world. And we have to have it because it's in the basic requirements (notice that every ground has one, even the regional grounds have to hire one if they host - need to show all the sponsor messages etc.).

Not everyone in the ground has the benefit of perfect vision, or sits close enough to be able to see the now minute time clock.
So why do Fox sports show replays of every foul as do other sports channels around the world?
Is it reasonable to assume that it`s ok for the people in the corporate boxes to see it but not ok for the every day punter to see it?
Why can`t it be standard practice around the world to show the crowd what they paid for?
Add this to the list of grievances fans have with the FFA!

I`m not complaining that the screen is there.
I`m saying if it`s there, let`s use it to it`s full potential.
Does anyone seriously believe that because a child see`s one foul at a live game that he or she is going to kick the shit out of another kid?

dibo

It's about the players and officials - they can't see the screens in bars or boxes.

If either players or officials can see errors in calls based on replays, it opens up the possibility of get-square calls to redress the balance or players getting frustrated with the refs (more than usual).

It is also about the FIFA thing of having the technology at pro levels be the same as at grassroots (hence the loooooong debate before adopting goal line technology).

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
think i'll just sit back for the rest of the year and watch young guys whose dream it is to pro football players improve

Manny_ccm

Hoping this isn't true :(

"UNFORTUNATELY it’s becoming a familiar story, but we hear there is growing discontent over at the Mariners. Tony Walmsley’s unwavering determination to play kamikaze football is admirable, but it means little when the team continues to suffer heavy defeats. We understand Anthony Caceres blew up after the 5-1 loss to Melbourne City last weekend and is desperate to leave the club, either for France or possibly Sydney FC, where he would be reunited with Graham Arnold. At least the drawn out saga involving Liam Reddy has come to end, with the Mariners finally terminating his contract. That means the goalkeeper is free to join another club, and those Wanderers rumours just won’t go away. "

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-groups-and-ffa/story-fnk6pqot-1227641202516

FFC Mariner

A player blowing up after a 5-1 loss isnt exactly unusual.

Daily Telegraph making something out of nothing I'd guess.

He is probably angling for a move away so these sorts of stories will come out.

dont like it mate - off you go

Gratis

yeah it's probably a 'something out of nothing' story.

that said he can go to France - but not to Constantly-Stealing-from-the-Mariners FC

ccmmic

I think this is typical media hysteria. The usual bashing the Mariners.

Caceres was interviewed by Foxsports after the game. He was scathing of the performance. And said that it is unacceptable to be beaten 1-5 at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred