• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tony Walmsley's Yellow Army!

Forum Phoenix

NO, NO, NO, Caceres's season numbers are 88 touches in the opposition box for 2 shots on goal. How could you possibly want him as a second striker based on those stats? Give Austin a go at the point, he will at least get there first unlike O'Donoduck

You're probably right about him as a striker, but tbf thats after he's typically arriving late when he's got the entire team between him and the goals. The stats become a bit apples with oranges when he's playing a different position with different intentions. That said, 88 for two shots as a #ten is still way too low isn't it, and your'e right that doesn't make a good argument for deploying him as a false nine. The other aspects do though i think.

Fair call about Austin maybe being effective. Not a defender in the league who can keep pace with him it seems. By Odonoduck I'm assuming you don't think much of Roy? personally I like him.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

NO, NO, NO, Caceres's season numbers are 88 touches in the opposition box for 2 shots on goal. How could you possibly want him as a second striker based on those stats? Give Austin a go at the point, he will at least get there first unlike O'Donoduck

I was not suggesting that Caceras should play as a second striker, with Roy (although I would not rule it out putting him next to big striker whose back is to goal). I was suggesting that playing him up front may be the best way we can benefit from his talents.

As to the 88 touches in the opposition box, whenever he has position he touches the ball many times. Possessions in the opposition box may be a better measure.

However, he plays the #10 or AM role like a DM. Most of his goals and shots, as I remember, seem to come from outside the box.

My thinking is move him totally out of his comfort zone in midfield, shove him at the pointy end and see what happens.

Rowdy

Walmsley 'hurt' by Mariners propping up the ladder:

Central Coast Mariners coach Tony Walmsley admits he's hurting after watching his team crash to last spot on the A-League ladder, but he's not giving up hope of a fairytale turnaround.

The Mariners slumped to their fourth straight loss after conceding an early lead in their 2-1 defeat to Perth Glory at nib Stadium on Saturday night.

The result left Central Coast with just one win from 10 games ahead of next Sunday's home clash with high-flying Brisbane Roar.

"I hurt for the fans and hurt for the players about where we're sitting," Walmsley said.

"But I'm not too concerned. The real message is there's 17 games to go, there's loads of points available.

"The belief I've got in the group - once that transfers into their heads and they take that and grow with it, is when we'll start to get results.

"At the moment their individual qualities are conditional on looking to someone else for some leadership.

"They need to grow, and need to grow quickly, so they can grab hold of these opportunities they've been given and become the players we know they can be."

Glory import Nebojsa Marinkovic was the hero on Saturday night, scoring in the 62nd and 64th minutes to seal the win.

Marinkovic's first goal - a low curling free-kick from just outside the box - irked Walmsley.

"I don't know whether the wall was set up right," Walmsley said.

"When you've got a free-kick right on the edge of the box, you know it's going to be incredibly difficult to get it up and down with any pace.

"So just put the wall between the ball and the goal. It looked like he rolled it into the corner. So not happy with that at all."

Although the Mariners face a battle to avoid the wooden spoon this season, Walmsley predicted a bright future for the club.

"We've got young players on three-year deals, and we know they're going to blossom into great A-League players, and even beyond that," Walmsley said.

"I'm not worried 10 weeks in that morale might be a little bit low. I'm actually challenged by it, stimulated by it,

"I want to make sure that the belief we have in them starts to show through."

Glory leapfrogged Central Coast into ninth spot after their second win of the season.

But they face a daunting task next week when they host Championship contenders Melbourne Victory (Wednesday) and Western Sydney Wanderers (Saturday) in the space of four days.

"Hopefully this is the start of something moving forward," coach Kenny Lowe said of the win over Central Coast.

Coach

I was not suggesting that Caceras should play as a second striker, with Roy (although I would not rule it out putting him next to big striker whose back is to goal). I was suggesting that playing him up front may be the best way we can benefit from his talents.

As to the 88 touches in the opposition box, whenever he has position he touches the ball many times. Possessions in the opposition box may be a better measure.

However, he plays the #10 or AM role like a DM. Most of his goals and shots, as I remember, seem to come from outside the box.

My thinking is move him totally out of his comfort zone in midfield, shove him at the pointy end and see what happens.

Mariner & FP - basically agree with your comments. In summary I would like to see one thing from Walmsley - think about the future, pick a team that fits that strategy, tell them they have 1 month to make their position their own and stop playing musical chairs, I believe this will losen the young blokes up (it seems they are all just worried about making a mistake) and they may just start to develop into a team, at the moment they are a collection of 11 different players each week.

Wombat

I don't think you can blame TW.

The squad is threadbare.

The only thing I slag them for is the poor discipline in defence.

Forum Phoenix

I'm mostly with you. But what worries me is that TW seems so convinced it can be turned around via his belief.

"The belief I've got in the group - once that transfers into their heads and they take that and grow with it, is when we'll start to get results.

"At the moment their individual qualities are conditional on looking to someone else for some leadership.

"They need to grow, and need to grow quickly, so they can grab hold of these opportunities they've been given and become the players we know they can be."

It's not that I don't like what he's saying, but sometimes their is simply no substitute or fast track for time and experience. Arrogance comes quickly, but confidence is usually built/earned over time.

We obviously "need to grow quickly" but I'm not sure you can grow these things quickly? Be very impressed if they do. A couple of years alongside senior mentors is the usual. So I'm not surprised a lot of these guys are looking around for leadership. That's typical.

bikinigirl

"At the moment their individual qualities are conditional on looking to someone else for some leadership."

. so he knows what the problem is - the questions are:
  • is he willing to fix it (too much faith in the kids); and/or
  • able to fix it ($ to spend / ability to attract suitable candidates)
. it is no different to any other job - think of any youngster doing an apprenticeship-type thing:
  • theory & practice is done at school (TAFE, Uni, etc.) - in this case the CoE
  • but the real learning is done 'on-the-job' - in this case on the pitch
  • your teachers are no good to you away from school (even if instructing from the sidelines)
  • you need experienced mentors on-the-job (out on the pitch) to instruct you as you learn in the real world
  • those that excel are usually the ones who receive the best instruction on-the-job (our history proves that)

Coach

If we dont win tiday walmsley and hutcinson should be shown the door. They said they would entertain and develop young talent. Well they are not entertaining just frustrating and the young talent is being compromised. Roux higher up , madness. Never the same team twice. Mcging dropped on form last week comes back in, winder what happened in a week?

Gratis

Meh, even if we were doing quite well losing to Brisbane right now would be a real possibility

FFC Mariner

Walmsley copping it at full time

Natives restless and be interesting to see if the club can be arsed to do anything about it

marinersince2006

From Brisbane 0.1

I thought we played really well against the most entertaining watchable team in the league. Roar seem to have an amazing youth conveyer belt and have all visa players in very attacking styles/ strengths.

Roar had the time and massive patience.

And the Roar are broke.How on earth do they attract and retain their superstars and their youth. I am sure a dozen or so players will be available / off contract.......we surely can steal several of their young Australian under 20/23 players.

Eye test ratings.
May be a little harsh but a really good game by CCM overall.When under pressure we played safe at back.

Austin 8, roryod 3, Fitz6, Monty 4, Lrose 7, pos4 , ash 6, Jrose 6, glkpr 4, storm 4,jake 7........Sim 5 fab 6 car 6

Physically we looked tiny versus roar. They all looked like gym junkies.many of our team have many years to fill out and mature .

Monty has worst game of season.Distribution was a shocker.Would have kept,him on till a yellow after another dig with McKay! But TW maybe saved him from a straight red.Good coaching.

Izz was reminded by crowd we were playing in yellow.The goal was coming.Looks great prospect/great signing.Not sure who will replace him if he goes away for month of Jan.

Storm on right wing was a shock. But worth the risk. Storm much better fullback option than posc.We shouldn't have visa position for a fullback.
If he is a visa position ?

Was surprised fitz started over Car

Posc....love his pace and commitment.His distribution better as CB

Lrose (and AK )look like Wonderfull prospects.

Ash looked shaky on his left.he looks disjointed at times.Great signing.

Jake looked rock solid.He was great in youth league. Superstar future.

Rory ..poor decision making. Not sure Heff is the answer or a better option due to lack of fitness.

Austin great run and finish with his right foot.Austin is a great signing and will be socceroo in 2/3 years I am sure.

All our under23/24 year olds will give us 4/5 million in trf fees over next 2/3 years. We have some amazing talent that are all getting opportunities by TW.

5,124 attendance for one of best ALEAGUE teams visit.....Broich is/ was amazing. North a rock.Bowles amazing replacement for Smith. Amazing how they fit all their squad under the salary cap.Mckay off the ball movement excellent.

Roar played some stunning football/ passing/ movement.

Our guys looked shattered physically last 10/15 minutes. Great commitment which is important in such a young team.and a team that will be losing a lot more games .

We all have to be patient this season and next season.

We don't have to worry about relegation.

Forum Phoenix

If we dont win tiday walmsley and hutcinson should be shown the door. They said they would entertain and develop young talent. Well they are not entertaining just frustrating and the young talent is being compromised. Roux higher up , madness. Never the same team twice. Mcging dropped on form last week comes back in, winder what happened in a week?

We don't know why McGing missed out last week, family troubles, off colour, who knows. There are good arguments for becoming settled like you've advocated for - personally I'd really like to see Posc settled in at CB - he's our best for mine, McGing, 2nd, Ascoft 3rd - but there are plenty of good arguments for more change too. TW clearly felt he had to make changes. And it almost worked against a superior side. Loathe to rip him apart over that, and not to disparage, but I'm not sure anyone could be doing much better with this under size and under experienced squad.

Roux at RM surprised me too, and though it failed to help contain Broich, I'm sure it was also as he was depressingly the most creative and effective attacking player we had in the previous game. It looked to me like TW was trying to get what he thought was our best performing 11 onto the park. I think without change we would likely have be slaughtered again otherwise.

Gratis

I thought it was worth a shot putting Roux in a more attacking position, attacking is his strength and less so his defending. The week before he put better balls through for Roy than Cac did and one led to a goal.
It didn't work very well but then it was first try and against a high quality team. I'd be happy to try it again though we were better when we went back to default in RB

bikinigirl

Mcging dropped on form last week comes back in, winder what happened in a week?

. dropped on form? ... sauce please?

We don't know why McGing missed out last week, family troubles, off colour, who knows.

. TW said pre-match it was essentially fatigue ... i.e. they thought he needed a rest (mentally)

. i think we need to remember that it is a massive step-up for some of these kids mentally - the expectations (in a losing, under-resourced team), playing professionally, travel, training, lack of experience to draw on, etc, etc.

marinersince2006

Fox commentators.

At pre match none of them called TW ""mate"". Tough direct questions to TW.

No one asked KMuscat whether he thought his suspension was worth the same suspension as Roy's. No,tough questions to Muscat.

During game minimal credit given to TW and coaching team for stunning 3.0'lead.

Begrudging praise that we held and counter attacked at highest A league level. We were dominating the champions ........and minimal credit to TW and coaching team.

TW was a "mate" at end of game interview.!!

Accept TW is not an accomplished media performer. But he will get better. JH could share occasionally like in Adelaide assistants.Maybe TW fashionable accent is the problem with the Fox team?

Maybe TW should wear black and white sneakers like Some top Spanish coaches....with his saville road suits! .....not quite jamie Oliver humerous quib.!,

The fox team may have been briefed by some of our bias ex players .No crisis in leading champions 3.0....... And coming out with a draw with champions.

Popovic turns over 70 per cent of players after a mutiny........and he is super coach. We change 4/5 and it is exodus.

Scott Miller gets soft questions . He is a smooth talented media performer.I wonder why he dosnt get the same type of hard questions TW gets

Maybe TW has been to media training and is trying to hard to give interesting and entertaining answers.

A key message TW is delivering .....we give young players opportunities.....come and play for us next season......we are now a more financially stable club......he can produce a team of great potential with 1/2'million dollars spent less than each/most of other HAL teams.

Beating Jets twice will seal coaching team of year award for our coaching team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred