• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tony Walmsley's Yellow Army!

dibo

CLUB STATEMENT: Tony Walmsley appointed as Head Coach

monty_9150ubptmaa51b3r0peco1gjc.jpg

1/1
Nick Montgomery & Tony Walmsley
Tuesday, 14 April 2015-
@CCMariners
Comments
The Central Coast Mariners can today confirm that the club’s Technical Director/interim Head Coach, Tony Walmsley has been appointed as permanent Technical Director/Head Coach for the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season.
After taking the helm as an interim replacement for Phil Moss in the lead up to the club’s Hyundai A-League Round 20 fixture against Melbourne City, Walmsley will commence the role on a permanent basis, effective May 1.

Over the past six weeks, the Central Coast Mariners Owner Mike Charlesworth, along with Executive Vice Chairman, Peter Storrie & with the assistance of Walmsley have scaled the globe for a suitable candidate to lead the yellow and navy into battle. The club’s senior management wanted a candidate that will guarantee attacking, free flowing and entertaining football.

Entertainment, vision, flair, innovation, training methods and the introduction of young players into the club’s football department along with recruitment of players who can fit into this mantra has led the club to decide that Walmsley is the key to the Mariners’ football moving forward.

The Central Coast Mariners are delighted that the Head Coach position has been locked in for the 11th season of the Hyundai A-League and is confident that Walmsley has what it takes to get the most out of his playing squad and deliver a brand of football that will entertain our fans and members week in, week out.

Central Coast Mariners Owner, Mike Charlesworth said the brief was to source a Head Coach with an excellent track record in youth development who also understands that as a business we need to change our focus towards one of entertainment over and above anything.

“With such a small population base over a large geographical area we need to do something special next season to attract new fans and bring some of the old ones back.

Without fear of failure we simply have to innovate and entertain and I believe Tony has both the understanding of this task and the experience to see this challenge through successfully,” Charlesworth said.

After assessing a raft of candidates both internationally and domestically, Storrie ensured the members and fans that the Central Coast Mariners will entertain and that the former Head of Recruitment at Sheffield United is the right man to deliver.

“We interviewed a select number of candidates but ultimately, Tony’s international experience in youth development; belief in the new football philosophy and passion to entertain were key factors in appointing him as the club’s permanent Head Coach.

Tony’s understanding of the Mariners’ culture, having been involved with the club for many years also played a part in the decision making process,” Storrie said.

Walmsley is honoured to be named the club's fourth Head Coach of the Mariners and ensured fans, members and the media that he is ready for Season 11 of the Hyundai A-League.

“Coaching in the Hyundai A League is the aspiration of a many coaches, both here and overseas. It comes with an incredible responsibility and at a time when sustainability is demanded as the league continues to evolve.

When Peter Storrie asked if I would consider taking the Head Coach role at the Mariners I needed to weigh up the opportunity carefully. It is an honour to be invited to take on the role, but I needed to be clear about my commitment to success, identify what success looks like and how I can make a difference.”

The club's mantra is entertainment, youth and community. As Technical Director I was brought in to deliver a football program aligned to the commercial objectives of the club. This means a recruitment charter that identifies players with embedded talent that can be identified, contribute on the pitch, developed and sold. No hiding behind it. Something to celebrate.”

As Head Coach I'm interested in exposing players to a style that stretches them beyond where they think their capabilities are and to get the staff to buy into the broader vision. Can we be more resilient, yet more expressive? Pretty on the eye? Courageous on the ball, can we be recognised for innovation?”

The Mariners are a fantastic club with a great history. I worked under Lawrie McKinna and Graham Arnold across five seasons before realising a personal goal to work in professional football in the UK with Sheffield United. I've remained curious throughout almost thirty coaching years across a broad set of experiences with some great people.”

So my time has arrived to make a commitment to the members and fans to provide an environment where the players love coming to work. Where their spirit, joy and passion for playing football is captured in the essence of how we play. I'm thrilled to be the 4th Head Coach in Mariners history. Bring on season 11,” Walmsley said.

The Central Coast Mariners will round off their Hyundai A-League 2014/15 proceedings with two tough away challenges against Wellington Phoenix & Melbourne Victory respectively. Despite two games remaining, Walmsley has commenced planning for the 2015/16 campaign which will ramp up significantly from May 1.

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl.../lrokoe29uk91f9nntnm80nqp#0iaTlCtY3Qvjs5AA.99

localpom

I'm pretty happy with this. Apart from the Brisbane fiasco he has turned thing round since coming back as TD. Since the Sydney game (Where i'm thinking he had a large part behind the team selection and tactics)we are playing good, attacking football that should start getting people back. The players seem happier and there appears to be a sense of purpose now. Hopefully we get several quality players in over the off season that can get people excited going forward and increase membership numbers.....as well as getting us back in the finals where we belong! :)

ballantyne

Is that Robert Mugabe permanent, Moyes/Moss expensively permanent or til the end of next season permanent?

Reactions: adz

kevrenor

Do a review, set up a structure and long term plan ... appoint an overall technical director ... then make an ad hoc appointment of the TD as coach .. around we go again! Beats me!

Gratis

I'm happy about this and am throwing my full support behind it. bring on recruitment, Everton youth players and season 11!

Still 2 games to look forward to and then see where Hutch ends up in the club

Roy Law

He certainly talks the talk -
"As Head Coach I'm interested in exposing players to a style that stretches them beyond where they think their capabilities are and to get the staff to buy into the broader vision. Can we be more resilient, yet more expressive? Pretty on the eye? Courageous on the ball, can we be recognised for innovation?”
It is a big call, no experience at A League, but I have a good feeling about it. The young players will get a fair go; Hutcho will look after the old uns; Monty will drive the troops. And we will all be entertained!
Winning football remains the key; I am glad the appointment has been made early because there is some very serious recruiting to be made; with the cutting of Griffiths and Simon he is already making his mark.
Agree with Kev that the process is a wee bit unconventional but as I don't buy 'the raft of candidates' line I think Charlesworth thought why not take what is in front of you? And I bet Hutcho supports this move, in fact I think the players are looking forward to it.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
worldwide search my left nut, I sort of knew this would happen...but thats cool, apart from the brisbane fiasco, TW has done and will do alright.....

true believer

im not unhappy with the decision . but I believe a quality assistant is needed .
some one like a rado vidosic . that can provide out of the box solutions . otherwise walmsely will get bogged down by
mid season . I would also like to see us get in someone to work on our shooting .

Roy Law

On Twitter -
"Just did a worldwide search for some tea, ended up making a cup in the kitchen instead. "
:)

Forum Phoenix

Onwards and upwards I think. Positive attacking football as a key focus is a very good thing and I like everything else he's had to say.

I think Hutch will be his assistant no?

Hutch is an impressive man manager, so despite his lack of coaching experience, I think this could be an excellent combination. With a "youth focus" a coach whose best qualifications lie in identifying and nurturing young talent, along side an assistant whose best skills are man management and motivation and who also has the support and trust of the community...

Sounds like a pretty bloody good fit to me.

Capt. Awesome

It's a bit of a risky decision but I have liked what he has done so far. The team is a joy to watch now. Seems to have pretty good man management and boys seem happy and enjoying their football. Lets hope he has what it takes when the pressure starts. He has had none so far.

Gratis

I'm hoping we'll keep Crawley as part of the managemnet team. My grapevine tells me that apparently Crawley's video research is second to none and was a big influence in the success of Arnie (same source said told me that JC and Mossy didn't get on too well either and I was told to watch how they interacted at games. I didn't see too much to comment on but they certainly weren't warm with each other, I do wonder how much heed Mossy took of his assessments).
Hopefully we keep him for this as much as for his obvious GK coaching skills. If he does leave to move onto bigger and better things then I will be happy for him, it's well deserved, but thankfully so far all I've heard is whispered, unsubstantiated rumours so we may be in luck especially if the new environment will be good to work in.

Capt. Awesome

Why did the club not also announce Hutch as assistant coach??? Is this just a given??? I haven't heard it officially announced although on NBN news they did mention that Hutch will have the job.

midfielder

I have mixed feelings ... he has little first team experience as a Head Coach... tis difficult to think compared to a top coach he is cheap...I don't think he has even managed a top state team... Yet to date aside from the Brisbane game we have been competitive ... off the ball movement has returned...Importantly he understands the history of our club and was responsible for finding the best juniors the A-League has ever had ...

The contract is for one year as I read it so I guess he is on trail .... as Kev said above we appointed a TD so will we appoint another TD ...

as I said mixed feeling about this

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred