• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tony Walmsley's Yellow Army!

Wombat

im not unhappy with the decision . but I believe a quality assistant is needed .
some one like a rado vidosic . that can provide out of the box solutions . otherwise walmsely will get bogged down by
mid season . I would also like to see us get in someone to work on our shooting .

And our defending.

nebakke

One year with a review at the end. He will revert back to TD if it all goes pear shaped.

I think that's an even bigger positive at this point. I'd like to see him around the club in some capacity and I think that there's only so much we can stand to lose in one fell swoop, in terms of the 'older' staff.
I also thought that his TD appointment was a positive move.

So it would be nice to think that he remains as TD if he can't cut it as a coach. :) Although, tbh, unless they cut their losses much quicker, if he fails, I struggle to see a situation where everyone agree, amicably, to cut him as coach but keep him as TD...

Anyway, let's see... Looking decent for now!

nebakke

Here is Walmsley press conference today.

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/videos#29srii3kYgHAQAyx.97

Interestingly they edited out the park where Walmsley talks about Hutch being assistant coach. You can watch a brief bit of that part here on NBN news:

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php...mote-entertaining-football-as-new-head-coach/

Hmm... Although, both Hutch and Monty directly referred to Hutch 'bossing them around from the sidelines next year' on Saturday - It certainly sounded like their expectation/assumption was that he'd be there as the assistant.

Gratis

am I right in thinking that Amini, Ibini, Ryan, Sainsbury, Fitz and Caceres all came through under Walmsley's youth team?

pjennings

I have mixed feelings ... he has little first team experience as a Head Coach... tis difficult to think compared to a top coach he is cheap...I don't think he has even managed a top state team... Yet to date aside from the Brisbane game we have been competitive ... off the ball movement has returned...Importantly he understands the history of our club and was responsible for finding the best juniors the A-League has ever had ...

The contract is for one year as I read it so I guess he is on trail .... as Kev said above we appointed a TD so will we appoint another TD ...

as I said mixed feeling about this

I've also got mixed feelings or probably more reservations based on a lack of experience. The other way to view the appointment for one year as a trial is that the risk was we got the wrong manager in a rushed way was too high. As it is Walmsley can now go into the market for players that fit his vision and then take his time to attract the correct manager in the coming year, someone who not only fits the vision, but has the experience and can also mentor Hutch.

ballantyne

The more I think about this announcement, the more it gives me the shits. I've got no problem with Walmsley: he's as likely to succeed at this as anyone. I just hate being lied to by Storrie.
"Scaled the globe" - those are the words of a liar.
Blind Freddy can see that Walmsley was the only candidate.

Gratis

i read somehwere that they did scale the globe and had over 100 expressions of interest and interviewed a select few. in the end the direction they need/want to go requires someone both completely on board and knowing the culture etc etc and i don't think they were likely to find someone better matched at this time for what we can pay

nebakke

i read somehwere that they did scale the globe and had over 100 expressions of interest and interviewed a select few. in the end the direction they need/want to go requires someone both completely on board and knowing the culture etc etc and i don't think they were likely to find someone better matched at this time for what we can pay

I have to say, trying to look at it from the club's point-of-view... Walmsley is a pretty bloody compelling prospect.

- He's had significant success in the youth league
- He has a strong history in recruitment, something we seemed to be struggling with this season
- He has presumably spent enough time with other clubs to identify some of the stuff that works/doesn't work
- He knows the club, seemingly is well liked and understands the culture and - hopefully - the community and, I mean... His ties goes back to Lawrie :)
- He has a fallback option, in going back to the exclusive TD role, so is relatively low risk in terms of the cost to the club (even if this feels naive)
- Last and probably really first, he is probably quite a bit cheaper than most of the other options around... Maybe we could throw some of the money at luring Clarkie back our way!? ;) - Maybe have Tim Knight learning under him for a bit...

Anyway, the thing is, much the same as with Moss - a coach has to start somewhere I figure and on a low budget, much the same thing is going to be said about every single coach we find. We were lucky with both Arnie and Lawrie but, with the money we're likely offering, expecting much past NPL experience could be a bit much in our current situation.
From that point-of-view, I don't think NYL or even W-league experience is to be sneezed at... It's not like we're looking at the Dragons u10 parent-of-the-week here.

Let's see how we go, as I've said before, I'd rather Walmsley than any of the usual suspects. I'm not convinced that I feel that Rudan's credentials are all that much better and most of the ones that have A-league experience, were fired for a reason, so I'm not sure that they'll do all that much better under our setup.

dibo

Maybe they did scour the globe and no-one else was interested?
Peter Storrie: Hi, I'm Peter Storrie, CEO of Australian A-League club Central Coast Mariners. I understand you're seeking a coaching appointment, and we're interested in you.

Highly Rated Overseas Coach: Wait, *the* Peter Storrie?

PS: I'm the CEO of the Mariners now.

HROC: The same Peter Storrie that took Portsmouth from Cup winners to bankruptcy?

PS: I think we're getting a little off...

HROC: And you're now at a club with a history of not paying its players, fending off winding up orders...

PS: ...track and we're a very successful...

HROC: ...and you've just sacked a coach amid player and fan turmoil and your owner doesn't know where your home ground is?

PS: ...club with lots of trophies.

HROC: *click*

PS: f**k it, let's give Tony the gig.

nebakke

Peter Storrie: Hi, I'm Peter Storrie, CEO of Australian A-League club Central Coast Mariners. I understand you're seeking a coaching appointment, and we're interested in you.

Highly Rated Overseas Coach: Wait, *the* Peter Storrie?

PS: I'm the CEO of the Mariners now.

HROC: The same Peter Storrie that took Portsmouth from Cup winners to bankruptcy?

PS: I think we're getting a little off...

HROC: And you're now at a club with a history of not paying its players, fending off winding up orders...

PS: ...track and we're a very successful...

HROC: ...and you've just sacked a coach amid player and fan turmoil and your owner doesn't know where your home ground is?

PS: ...club with lots of trophies.

HROC: *click*

PS: f**k it, let's give Tony the gig.

Actually... I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that...

But with the eaves-dropping access that you've obviously got, why are we not getting more rumours from your end!? ;)

adz

Staff member
Probably a case of any "from around the globe" candidates willing to give it a go being too much of an unknown/risk, and with the way the team has been playing under Walmsley... we can already see his vision and with a couple more decent players we could be well in it next season. Plus only a one season contract so we could still be looking for something more permanent and go back to separate TD/Coach roles, or if it goes very well I could imagine Walmsley being offered a couple of years extension. Maybe get someone else in as TD? As long as everyone is on the same page re playing style, player attitude, etc. etc...

Either way I wouldn't get upset about where the coach came from, as long as we have one :D.

Roy Law

So the person appointed to recommend the choice of coach is the person who recommended himself as the coach? It all sounds good to me. Well, at least he knew what qualities he was looking for. I am just glad it has been made early, plenty of time for Walmsley to get his recruitment right.
Bulut wants out of WSW, he wants to get away from the big city influence; he would be excellent for us except...I think he might just fail on the dickhead test.

true believer

Bulut ! I used him as an example ,of how a dick head gets schooled to my lad.
I've got no time for a halfwit like him . he's has no long term future anywhere in the A - league .

sydmariner

I've got no time for a halfwit like him . he's has no long term future anywhere in the A - league .
As far as I'm concerned he should be sharing a cell with Ahmed elrich:popo: not a good look for our family friendly club culture

P.S WSW stands for western sydney wankers

Wombat

Clearly he is a cockhead but he is very talented. Australia's version of Batolelli.
I would not like to see that drive by in our shirt BUT I respect his talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred