• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tony Walmsley's Yellow Army!

Coach

I'm over you princess!
Yes...I'm sometimes wrong. I thought Heff was going to be the business.
Not that I've ever heard u admit that some of the muppets you have supported have been shite.
I like 442 it's always worked for me....but its frowned upon now by football manager players like u. But for 442 you need a good keeper and a strong back 4.
I like defenders that pick up a player....not zonal enough these days.
I like a lot of things we haven't seen at CCM in the last 2 years.
What you like to do is snipe at people (middy is your new fav target) .....I can't remember the last time you critiqued a game.
At least Syd Mariner will agree with your every post (he will do anything to stop you abusing his posts)...you can share the cheese at the next game.

Ah, this is a matter close to my heart. At the moment we are playing 4231 unquestionably. We rarely stray from this since Arnold started. This is particularly so now because both Austin & Fab don't press, tuck in or defend. We have on occassion played 4321 when Monty, Rose & Neill all played screening midfield. I say this for context, I had the chance to attend a European coaching course, we discussed format preferences and the instructor told us we were ignorant. I now fully agree with him, it is ignorant to have a favourite structure and implement it blindly, the structure should be based on the players in the team. Makes sense don't you think?
Wombat I have to disagree with you on 442 - 442 is the one structure that you don't need a strong keeper or back 4 because it commits more players to defence, the fullbacks don't go forward as much and the wide MF tuck in and defend. my real worry is not the structure rather the manner in which it is operating, I don't see any strategy in place it seems absent to me!
Man to man defence or zonal defence is a matter of prefence. I prefer zonal with pick up around the 18yard box. Man to man defence causes all sorts of problems when someone drops off.

dibo

We've typically had a hybrid that goes from 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 in attack to 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 in defence.

We dabbled with a hyper-aggressive 4-3-3 in defence earlier in the year and it didn't work, but we've since shed a bunch of players and the reversion to 4-4-2 in defence has come a bit late on.

It'd be nice if we could flip the switch during the game as the need arises but this season's done, that's a next year problem.

Our big problem (as with last year) is that we're error-prone. In attack we give up the ball and get hit on the counter by teams running through broken zones. We don't get ripped to shreds all that often, it's more we make a f**kup and we get punished. Other sides are more experienced and can see the error coming or gamble on the error and get rewarded.

This clouds the fact that some of our best players this year have been in somewhat defensive roles: Ascroft, McGing and Poscoliero have all had great years in a team that's not really working. In a structure that worked well (and with a bit more fitness...), they'd be beasts. Add to that Neill who looks very handy in midfield, and Monty whose first half of the season was immense (though he looks a bit tired and frustrated now - who can blame him?).

Funnily enough, as with last year our attack is a big problem - we aren't effective enough with the ball, and we make errors, so other teams feel like they can 'cheat' a little bit and we won't tear them apart. They'll press higher than normal, knowing we're not going to slice them open and they're reaping rewards from mistakes.

If we were more lethal, they wouldn't 'cheat', and if we made fewer errors, there'd be less reason to 'cheat' in that way. We scared the shit out of Victory in Geelong, but that's the only time it's really worked for us...

Coach

We've typically had a hybrid that goes from 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 in attack to 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 in defence.

We dabbled with a hyper-aggressive 4-3-3 in defence earlier in the year and it didn't work, but we've since shed a bunch of players and the reversion to 4-4-2 in defence has come a bit late on.

It'd be nice if we could flip the switch during the game as the need arises but this season's done, that's a next year problem.

Our big problem (as with last year) is that we're error-prone. In attack we give up the ball and get hit on the counter by teams running through broken zones. We don't get ripped to shreds all that often, it's more we make a f**kup and we get punished. Other sides are more experienced and can see the error coming or gamble on the error and get rewarded.

This clouds the fact that some of our best players this year have been in somewhat defensive roles: Ascroft, McGing and Poscoliero have all had great years in a team that's not really working. In a structure that worked well (and with a bit more fitness...), they'd be beasts. Add to that Neill who looks very handy in midfield, and Monty whose first half of the season was immense (though he looks a bit tired and frustrated now - who can blame him?).

Funnily enough, as with last year our attack is a big problem - we aren't effective enough with the ball, and we make errors, so other teams feel like they can 'cheat' a little bit and we won't tear them apart. They'll press higher than normal, knowing we're not going to slice them open and they're reaping rewards from mistakes.

If we were more lethal, they wouldn't 'cheat', and if we made fewer errors, there'd be less reason to 'cheat' in that way. We scared the shit out of Victory in Geelong, but that's the only time it's really worked for us...

Agree on every point, great post and shows insight into the fundamental problems. I think they would be cheering the 5 mentioned if they were playing with stronger teams. I just hope we don't give them an education and then they leave! Thes guys are very lucky, they get to learn quickly on the job, most others are not so lucky, a season like this is like 3 seasons development for others. The only minor concern is the Ashcroft roller coaster, he makes many more mistakes than correct options but he can be very dynamic.

Forum Phoenix

Great posts.

Our defence has bothered me, but it's been over exposed for most of the season for the reasons outlined above, and so for mine it's the control Hutch (sorry Wombat) always helped give us in the middle, combined with a true 10 who can dictate play + a striker who can lead the line and hold the ball up - this is the spine I think we have been so sorely missing.

While our young defence still has a way to go, and keeper aside, I think it has massively improved - but it's just as Dibo said, we're prone to errors. Up front that translates to missed opportunities, squandered and or little possession. But at the back - it means you ship goals.

I really do put this all down to youth/inexperience.

What's harder to pin for me is the movement and link play - or lack thereof. That I can't tell if it's the coaching or inexperience and lack of focus/acuity of the players.

Thing I will be most interested in seeing on Sunday is how Roy's movement combined with Garcia's ability/timing looks. Don't think we've seen the best of Roy yet.

Wombat

Ah, this is a matter close to my heart. At the moment we are playing 4231 unquestionably. We rarely stray from this since Arnold started. This is particularly so now because both Austin & Fab don't press, tuck in or defend. We have on occassion played 4321 when Monty, Rose & Neill all played screening midfield. I say this for context, I had the chance to attend a European coaching course, we discussed format preferences and the instructor told us we were ignorant. I now fully agree with him, it is ignorant to have a favourite structure and implement it blindly, the structure should be based on the players in the team. Makes sense don't you think?
Wombat I have to disagree with you on 442 - 442 is the one structure that you don't need a strong keeper or back 4 because it commits more players to defence, the fullbacks don't go forward as much and the wide MF tuck in and defend. my real worry is not the structure rather the manner in which it is operating, I don't see any strategy in place it seems absent to me!
Man to man defence or zonal defence is a matter of prefence. I prefer zonal with pick up around the 18yard box. Man to man defence causes all sorts of problems when someone drops off.

Interesting insights coach and I'm tipping you are a better educated coach than me.
For me 442 needs a disciplined side.....with everyone picking up when we transition from attack to defence. I still expect one fullback to bomb on but yes I agree the wide players have to tuck in more in defence. 4231 has allowed certain players to be passengers at times.

Wombat

You suggesting Dibo suffers from PMT?

I'm old and cranky ALL the time.

Also Don't apologise re Hutcho....he did a simple job quite effectively. My main bugbear was we had a better player (Monty) that could have done exactly the same Job defensively while still contributing far more in attack.

Gratis

Good letter. I thought one of the follow up comments made a good representation of how many fans I know, myself included, are feeling watching games:
" MCSFC 1 point 5 hours ago
Well said. As a fairly hardcore Mariners fan since season one, the essential problem is this: it is no longer enjoyable to attend games. It is a depressing, frustrating, hopeless experience to watch the goals inevitably fly in (against us, of course, far more often than not). There is still a part of me that says "go to games, show your support, be loyal to this team," but the question has to be asked: what am I supporting? Is there a point in attending games merely for the sake of attending, all but knowing a defeat will follow? I don't know the answers to these questions (although I think they do relate fundamentally to why people follow sport) but the sinking feeling in my stomach with every hopeless performance does not lie, nor does the feeling on the drive home that I may well have spent the time a little more happily doing something else...
At a very fundamental level, it is clear that on field performances are not up to scratch...This side has now been under the current management for over a year, yet performances have actually deteriorated in that time. The fans are well within their rights to ask for change, and, of course, are not obliged to continue to support something which does not bring them the joy or even hope which is such a big part of following sport."

Rowdy

From the reddit post;

"Seriously though, the way phone sex guy and Walmsley have gone about business this year is pretty disgusting. "

So, Charlesworth is now to be referred to as "Phone-Sex Guy" ! ???

my breathing has gone all heavy ...... but it's from lmao.

Last edited:

Wombat

I think the phone sex story is bullshit. Im told he made his money from "grey marketing" European phone cards in Britain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred