• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Reign of Mike Mulvey

Gratis

MULVEY: WE SPEND MONEY, WE CAN COMPETE
By Ben Somerford Apr 13 2018 10:57AM

New Central Coast Mariners coach Mike Mulvey wants to “change the narrative” about the club’s lack of investment in their playing squad.

The Mariners have failed to qualify for the finals since 2013/14, with chairman Mike Charlesworth’s unwillingness to utilise the full salary cap perceived as a major impediment towards success.

However, Central Coast achieved remarkable results under Graham Arnold from 2010 to 2013 without significant financial investment.

Mulvey, who won the A-League with Brisbane Roar in 2013/14, was appointed Central Coast coach this week and said he wanted a return to those days.

“Firstly, we need to change the narrative because it’s a very negative connotation,” Mulvey said.

“We spend money and it’s not an insignificant amount.

“We might not be able to afford the luxury of someone like Bobo, with regards to top tier players, but we’re going to get players we want to represent the club.

“Whether that’s young players, senior players or overseas players it doesn’t matter. We want to have players with the right attitude who want to go out and perform for the community.”

Several Mariners players will be off contract at the end of this season and Mulvey was non-committal about his squad plans at this stage.

“There’s 10 clubs in the A-League, that’s 230 players, 50 are foreigners, 20 are goalkeepers, so you’re looking at 150-160 outfield players and the turnover of players is quite high,” he said.

“Some players have had five or six clubs in the A-League. I’m not concerned about anything else except getting the best players here possible with the right attitude.

“They’ve got to be prepared to live on the coast and buy into the club culture.”

Mulvey also said he wanted to bring success back to Gosford.

“I think they’re starved of success,” he said.

“The record in the last 50 games is something like the 10 wins. That’s patently not good enough to be challenging at the top end of the table.

“I haven’t come here to finish second. It might take some time but we’re going to work overtime to make sure we deliver the fans a great brand of football and a team that is winning.”
https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/mulvey-we-spend-money-we-can-compete-488900

TedShot

f**k, I hate that asshole. After reading that article I’m gonna have to fork out for f**ken membership and have my hopes up already.

Wombat

The whole salary cap structure needs to be reviewed in my opinion, as it hands an effective advantage to those clubs that can afford to bring in marquees.

This is because if you have a marquee player who is being paid outside the cap, that means you are not paying that theoretical salary out of the cap amount and can either use it to pay one player a lot more or spread the available amount over several players, meaning the overall quality of the roster is better than it otherwise would have been.

For example, a cap of $2.9m spread across a 23-man roster effectively equates to $126k per player average wage. Now we all know that some players will be below that figure and others above it but by not having to pay the marquee players’ wage from the cap, that average wage can be distributed elsewhere. If a club has several marquees, then this distortion becomes even greater.

This is the issue that needs addressing most urgently if the FFA truly wishes the cap system to be effective and it therefore needs to amend the rules so that for every marquee player a club signs, it loses one average cap wage amount from its spend elsewhere. This would provide a much more effective cap system and level the playing field for all clubs.

In defence of the muppets at FFA........I think they expected every club to sign a Marquee and therefore improve the quality of the league and put extra bums on seats....as it clearly did.
Mostly now the Marquees are just good players....certainly not stars like Yorke, Fowler and ADP etc

pjennings

Honestly, with the squad we had this season (excluding injuries) I believe Mulvey would have had us in the top 6.

With some room to recruit I feel good about his tenure. We almost certainly won't compete for trophies but I think we will compete and I hope we can be in the top half of the competition next season.

He knows what he is doing, is no nonsense, can read a game, can make multiple plans and won't take sh*t.

I'm confident next season will be better than this one

Injuries and unavailability at crucial times cost us this season - along with a tactically stubborn manager. There will always be injuries - we need to recruit better across the squad. Not only for the first XI. TBH many of our first XI would be bench players at other clubs. If we can recruit properly for the first XI some of them will be bench players here and will have to fight hard to get back in the first XI. We also paid too many players to be in the squad that got little or minimal game time. If the manager isn't going to play them then that is just through a spot and money that could be better spent elsewhere.

FFC Mariner

Spending $320k of our miserly playing budget on a striker who had consistently proved that he couldn't score goals is incompetent to the point of lunacy. A check of Wikipedia would have clearly shown this

Roy was asking for less than arse dribble I believe.

Big Al

Spending $320k of our miserly playing budget on a striker who had consistently proved that he couldn't score goals is incompetent to the point of lunacy. A check of Wikipedia would have clearly shown this

The same Roy who hasn’t scored since rd 5 in November and has 7 goals of which 3 came against us in rd1 when we pissed him off. He has just been suspended and injured since. No difference except we could of used those couple of goals in the early rounds.

Insertnamehere

Have you seen Berishas record before he came here?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The same Roy who hasn’t scored since rd 5 in November and has 7 goals of which 3 came against us in rd1 when we pissed him off. He has just been suspended and injured since. No difference except we could of used those couple of goals in the early rounds.
I still insist Roy was overrated......and yet we still could have used him.
Also, it's not could'f

Our midfield was solid. I mean, Tom H being out would usually mean Terrigal O/35C could walk all over us, but that's 100% a coaching and captaincy issue. The skill is there.
Our defence was actually up there with the best in the league.
It's out attack. Most of the time we wouldn't even try to finish. I wonder, again, how much that comes back to the coaching.
A striker or two and better psychology and we're a top 4 team.
And that's doing it, Mariners style.

Rowdy

Another point that MM helped clarify in the discussion the group had with him after the meeting was when Roddy asked him about a marquee. MM asked Roddy what did he mean by marquee, a top player or one who would put bums on seats. As an example he asked who would you prefer Berisha or ADP.
He pointed out that marquee like ADP can cause more troubles than they are worth at times and can be counter productive to results. The other problem now is that players of ADP's ilk can now get 10x the amount money in the MLS than they can get in the A league, so we are unlikely to see their like in the near future.
I stand to be corrected on the finer points of his words.

Thereabout's correct ;)
- I replied 'I'll take a Berisha type player all day everyday' , more so because of the ratio of 'quality v $'s spent' (extremely pertinent to us at CCM) for a player of his (Berisha) ilk ..... Mulvey would rather him than ADP more so because 'Berisha is proven quality'.

After giving both Charlesworth's words some considered thoughts that night - and Mulveys from speaking to him I'm actually left quite intrigued at the way in which Mulvey was 'surprised' announced and THEN instantaneously put on stage at the 'Open Mike' night

and even more in particular NOW after reading this below,
New Central Coast Mariners coach Mike Mulvey wants to “change the narrative” about the club’s lack of investment in their playing squad.

“Firstly, we need to change the narrative because it’s a very negative connotation,” Mulvey said.

Mike said the exact same thing to me, verbatim.
“We might not be able to afford the luxury of someone like Bobo, with regards to top tier players,...."

Again, verbatim ... in specifically referencing Bobo when talking to me.

I honestly think Mulveys narrative, if I can use his term is IN FACT 'Charlesworth's' ! first & foremost. It's no coincidence that Mulvey says the exact same thing in a relaxed conversation to a fan and then repeats it to jounalists the next day in multiple interviews.

Charlesworth HAS sat him down and said THIS is the ' first order of business', in that we (CCM) need a new 'narrative' about what we spend ...... or more correctly DON'T spend per team compared to others in the league.

Why is this the first order of business ?
- Charlesworth IS the only owner who goes this route of NOT using all of this 'free-money' from Foxtel which ultimately is under capitalising the squad comparatively
.... & he knows
... that we damn well know it too, and is sick of having us focus on it.

Rowdy

As to Mulvey ?
- I found him highly engaging and a positive appointment, and to that I applaud Charlesworth in doing so. :shoutclap:

He has the experience & insight of prev. coaching in this league that a foreign or NPL coach would lack, although when I asked about his knowledge of this seasons form (more so in particularly ours) he admitted he'd only seen our game against Brisbane the previous week, which I must admit I was highly surprised by. :eek:

But thinking afterwards, most likely due in part to Okons resignation, which then brought the Brisb v CCM viewing about, due only to his interest in the job.

Personally I was hoping :rolleyes: he'd been keeping an eye on the A-League, via the weekly highlights show on Foxtel
- firstly to help him to have some grounding on what players of the 13 off-contract he might like to keep for next year
- & secondly to see what the other team's season's form has been to allow him to contstruct a base of what to do or what he's up against next season.
(obviously he has a lot of video work to do)

Rowdy

& after just watching the Syd v Melb game this morning from last nite, Matty Simon subbing on at 63min mark led commentator Simon Hill to state that:

"..new Mariners coach Mike Mulvey is interested in taking him back to Gosford next year"

I love Simo to bits, & have enjoyed watching him get on the scoresheet multiple times for SydFC in the past few weeks but I dont see him being a replacement for Asdrubal ...... in both the $$$'s & quality sense of what we really really NEED.

BUT ! think Mulvey would be smart to bring him back to replace Josh Bingham, who hasn't really showed much spark in the years he's been with us. If the $$$'s a right for both Matty and CCM ... why not ?

The fans love him being a "born n'bred" Coastie & he plays with passion
....... which a lot of our players havent in recent months (especially off contract ones)

Rowdy

Do yourself a favour and watch Alex Wilkinson's performance in the Big Blue Derby from last nite ........ absolutely phenomenal! !!

How Wilko, who was awarded the MOM, isn't being considered for the Socceroo's squad is beyond me :confused:
- he makes Bailey Wright look third rate.

Mulvey should ask beg Charlesworth for $$$'s to try and pry him away from them.
'Championships are won on the back of a teams defence' - Graham Arnold
.... and with GA now leaving SydFC for the Socceroos now would be the time to pounce on Wilko ..... for Captain !!

Big Al

Thereabout's correct ;)
- I replied 'I'll take a Berisha type player all day everyday' , more so because of the ratio of 'quality v $'s spent' (extremely pertinent to us at CCM) for a player of his (Berisha) ilk ..... Mulvey would rather him than ADP more so because 'Berisha is proven quality'.

After giving both Charlesworth's words some considered thoughts that night - and Mulveys from speaking to him I'm actually left quite intrigued at the way in which Mulvey was 'surprised' announced and THEN instantaneously put on stage at the 'Open Mike' night

and even more in particular NOW after reading this below,

Mike said the exact same thing to me, verbatim.

Again, verbatim ... in specifically referencing Bobo when talking to me.

I honestly think Mulveys narrative, if I can use his term is IN FACT 'Charlesworth's' ! first & foremost. It's no coincidence that Mulvey says the exact same thing in a relaxed conversation to a fan and then repeats it to jounalists the next day in multiple interviews.

Charlesworth HAS sat him down and said THIS is the ' first order of business', in that we (CCM) need a new 'narrative' about what we spend ...... or more correctly DON'T spend per team compared to others in the league.

Why is this the first order of business ?
- Charlesworth IS the only owner who goes this route of NOT using all of this 'free-money' from Foxtel which ultimately is under capitalising the squad comparatively
.... & he knows
... that we damn well know it too, and is sick of having us focus on it.
The smoke and mirrors continue. Didn’t someone say we spent more than the floor.

We announced DDS as a Marquee signing
Now rumors are we only paid part of his contract and Roma maybe paid some.

Seems to me the cost of the squad was maybe above the floor but our actual cash flow spend on wages is probably under the floor.

I have no problems in using loan deals paid by other clubs to bring up the squad spend total but it leads to this political spin.

End of the day we didn’t get it done and now it’s MM turn to make it happen but there is a solif base in Baro Tom and Wout to work with.

The key for me is getting something out of DDS who had a poor season and Hoole who is just plain shit but we are tied to them both now.

Rowdy

The smoke and mirrors continue. Didn’t someone say we spent more than the floor.

We announced DDS as a Marquee signing
Now rumors are we only paid part of his contract and Roma maybe paid some.

Seems to me the cost of the squad was maybe above the floor but our actual cash flow spend on wages is probably under the floor.

I have no problems in using loan deals paid by other clubs to bring up the squad spend total but it leads to this political spin.

End of the day we didn’t get it done and now it’s MM turn to make it happen but there is a solif base in Baro Tom and Wout to work with.

The key for me is getting something out of DDS who had a poor season and Hoole who is just plain shit but we are tied to them both now.
"Below the cap BUT well above the min required floor" - was what was said.

but what your definition of 'well-above' is & mine's is .... IS most likely considerably different.

And yeah,you'r right with the DDS/Roma deal, in fact I've been told that Roma's share is quite significant, which in all reality is beside the point BECAUSE it clearly shows that we dont OWN HIM, regardless of his initial signing announcement to CCM on a 3 year deal.

He may just choose to do what Okon did
..... and leave !
- and you have to remember it WAS Okon who convinced DDS (& his Dad ;)) to sign with us un the first place & that Coach that believed in him is NOW gone.

Then there's the Roma factor to consider, what control do they exert within his contract, both in its exppiration & where he can play ???

Im guessing we'll just have to wait n see with DDS :popcorn:.
- I hope he stays :innocent:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred