• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Harry Kewell Circus

midfielder

Damm ... Choppers or Scum ... who do I hate the most ... HHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm ... not sure ...imagine booing a life long hero ... hope he goes to the Tards...

adz

Staff member
Latest on HK. Sounds like he wants a lot! I first heard "a percentage of the increase in revenue the club makes compared to the previous season" etc, and thought okay cool, but that percentage is something like 80-90%!?? And now he wants 30% of the away game increases? What an arrogant prick! The clubs and the FFA (??) are working very hard to get things back on track this season, engaging with the fans more, trying new things, so why does HK assume that he would be directly responsible for all increases in revenue, across the whole comp!? Amazing!

Thoughts?

Melbourne Victory remain "very hopeful" of securing the signature of Socceroos star Harry Kewell for the 2011-12 A-League season, despite comments made by Kewell's manager Bernie Mandic on Monday.

Victory general manager Richard Wilson on Monday told reporters the hunt for Kewell was still very much on, but confirmed that no deal had been done.

Mandic said Kewell had agreed terms in principle with both Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC and had been close to making a decision on where he would play.

But after talks with Football Federation Australia, the deal Mandic and Kewell had proposed to them was rejected.

"The FFA offered to assist in bringing Harry back to play in Australia and asked what it would cost to use Harry to market and promote the sport in partnership with the FFA," Mandic told radio SEN on Monday.

"We offered them a better deal than we have offered the A-League clubs - a 30-70 split of any additional gate revenue from the away games that Harry plays in.

"If there are no more people coming to the away games that Harry plays in, Harry gets nothing.

"Now this was not accepted by the FFA, which is fair enough."

Mandic says Kewell is still keen to play in the A-League but won't budge on the conditions for his return to Australia.

"Hopefully this can happen down the track - if not this year, then next year or the year after."

"The way things stand, unless the position of the FFA changes ... then no nothing will change."

Wilson, though, said Victory were still "very interested" in bringing the international star to AAMI Park.

"Our offer is with Harry and his management and the consideration of that deal now rests firmly with them," he said.

"There are no done deals, there's been no guarantees.

"It's simply a case of us putting our best foot forward on behalf of our members our fans and stakeholders to give us the best opportunity to secure on of the greatest players who's played for this country."

Wilson said Victory's negotiations with Kewell and Mandic were completely separate to those between the player and the FFA.

The FFA will hold a press conference on Monday afternoon.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/the-manager-of-harry-kewell-reveals-that-the-socceroos-star-wont-play-in-the-a-league-next-season/story-e6frf4gl-1226086931138

adz

Staff member
There is some funny stuff on Twitter... you don't need an account to follow this one

http://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/KewellAleagueDemands

and another link to follow along

http://trendsmap.com/topic/%23kewellaleaguedemands

style_cafe

Don`t believe everything you read about Harry Kewell.

IMO he is a man of integrity & is very down to earth.

He has copped a lot in his days but has always done his best for his country.

In saying that I would love to see him play in the A-League one day (I don`t really care who for if it`s not us)but I think he still has 2-3 more good years left in him & hope he returns to the EPL...preferably with QPR :thumbup:

adz

Staff member
Another story

Harry Kewell's manager has come out to correct a perception created by a senior Football Federation Australia official over the Socceroos star's move to play in the A-League.

Bernie Mandic claimed that incoming head of corporate affairs and communications Kyle Patterson had made Kewell look like a greedy villain by misrepresenting the facts.

The FFA knocked back an unusual offer from the Kewell camp to play in the A-League basically on a performance-based package.

But Mandic has claimed that the media was misinformed about the details of the proposed deal that fell through and which could see Kewell seek alternative employment abroad.

Kewell is a free agent after completing his contract with Galatasaray of Turkey in June.

"The media has got it wrong on this one," Mandic told The World Game.

"And this confusion is all thanks to Mr Kyle Patterson for spinning untruths to the media and you can quote me on that.

"Harry has always said that he would only come to Australia on a performance-based deal with no guaranteed earnings.

"Harry is no hypocrite and he again sticks to his word. And this is exactly what he wanted in order to play in the A-League. The money figures being thrown around are pure lies.

"We never approached anybody and when FFA asked us how much would we expect for the use of his image for promotional purposes we said we expected no down payment.

"For the record this is what we have proposed:

"If Harry plays for a team in the A-League he does not get paid for any of his home games.

"He only gets paid an equivalent of 70 per cent of gate takings for away games if his presence generates more people than that particular club's average.

"So if for example Harry is playing for Sydney against Adelaide at Hindmarsh Stadium and the Reds' average home crowd last season was, say, 14,000 and 18,000 turn up to watch him play, he gets 70 per cent of the income generated by the extra 4000 people.

"If the crowd is less than 14,000 he gets nothing. If the crowd is 14,000 he gets nothing either.

"If he is injured and misses 10 matches he does not get paid, unlike some marquee players who cost a fortune and were injured for many matches.

"And if, God forbid, he is injured for the whole season he gets nothing.

"Most importantly the clubs will not miss out on any part of their home gates because the money paid to Kewell will come from the FFA.

"Now you tell me how this is being greedy on our part. Have you heard of any similar deal in the world?"

Mandic said that Kewell was genuinely interested in returning home and his England-based family was also keen to come and live in Australia.

But he said Kewell's chances of playing in the A-League had diminished greatly after the FFA's intervention.

"The FFA refused our offer which is fair enough," he said.

"However this episode proves beyond any doubt that Harry is not about money but about giving something back to the game."

That's pretty much how I read it anyway. But to continue that example he uses, if the Adelaide average home crowd for last season was 14,000 (LOL) what happens if they start pulling in an average of 18,000 playing against other teams, and get that same number against Harry Kewell? That would mean their numbers are up anyway, and have nothing to do with HK playing or not. What if their average attendance was always boosted by playing Victory? E.g. their average against Victory was 18,000 and the other teams was 13,500, giving an overall average of 14,000, and they get 18,000 again... confusing? I think they are taking the piss.

Muppet

Dare I say it I can see some merit in what Mandic is proposing though as Adz has pointed out how do you calculate an increase on a particular game. From what I can tell Kewell will allow FFA to use his image and services to promote the A-League and other ventures for a slice of pie. The clubs are not affected just the FFA. Sounds like Kewell is happy to put his nuts on the table to see how much they are worth. If that is the case it is admirable and I for one support it if it means the game grows.

adz

Staff member
Sounds like Kewell is happy to put his nuts on the table to see how much they are worth. If that is the case it is admirable and I for one support it if it means the game grows.

I like the idea in theory, but the method of payment put forward seems a bit flawed. Maybe they can work out another way to measure "The Kewell Effect"? Imagine what sort of a precedent this would set for the league if he gets 70% of increased gate takings just by playing. This may do more harm than good to the league as any other big name players are going to want similar, or better deals!

That would pretty much end any chance of big name players wanting to come to the A-League in future... I guess you could argue we aren't really getting them anyway, but if this deal went through I could see it being Harry Kewell and then... nobody. Not even a player like LOLoisi, as I'm sure all the player managers will get big (bigger) dollar signs in their eyes and all want similar deals. Of course, every time a deal falls through they can just blame the FFA and say they were just trying to give something to Australian football, just like Harry.

shipwreck

Objective question, even thought he wouldnt have anywhere near the amount of publicity impact that Kewell would, do you guys think Owen Hergreaves would play Kewell off the park if he was to sign in the same season?

I know its not gonna happen, but food for thought, who is the better player?

midfielder

Soccer lives on a screw-you basis. AFL survives on goodwill.

This is how Eddie McGuire finished his latest article in the Herald Sun...

Eddie was talking about how Harry is screwing Football sorry soccer for Eddie...

I am always amazed why why do so many non football sports folk feel they need to comment on football… it always amazes me why Roy Masters, Eddie, Peter Fiz etc and the like feel the need to compare their sports with football in Australia… Whereas football folk normally ignore the other sports…

Eddie have no analysis of the HK deal …. just that it was evil;- not saintly heavenly almost holy and pure like the AFL…

I get the feeling it was more about paying the AFL players less than they want given they are in negotiations

Below I have posted some of the better bits of the article...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/squeeze-highlights-the-great-soccer-afl-divide/story-e6frfhqf-1226091436811

Squeeze highlights the great soccer-AFL divide

But not for the first time in soccer's chequered history in this country, the goal turned into an own one.

Is Kewell more of the same seduction of the bright lights of big-time soccer that saw Australia dive in the FIFA shark pool and honestly think that $60 million and a nice video would be enough to win the hosting rights to the World Cup?

Sooner or later the greed and corruption in soccer will bring it undone. The same will happen only quicker in AFL if one side squeezes too hard.

Soccer lives on a screw-you basis. AFL survives on goodwill.

dibo

Can we have one thread for all 'anti-soccer' media articles rather than a proliferation of them?

adz

Staff member
I am always amazed why why do so many non football sports folk feel they need to comment on football

And I am always amazed at how defensive football people are, and always seem to be whinging about someone "having a dig", while ignoring what they are actually saying, even though they might have some valid points.

The only thing you got out of that whole article is AFL is evil and having a go at football. Again. He might as well have just written "Soccer. By Eddie McGuire." because it looks like that's all you actually read.

You seem to have skipped this bit:

The clubs have sacrificed for the growth of the game since 1985, when they handed over powers and trademarks to the independent AFL Commission for the good of the game.

It has been a resounding success - except if you are a Fitzroy supporter. It should never be forgotten that we lost an entire club in the great leap forward.

The players in their negotiations need to take heed of Harry Kewell and Bernie Mandic. The public will always be in love with the players but just as they come and go the clubs remain. In their claims for more money the players must find the balance between a financial result today while leaving a bit in the tin for tomorrow.

The clubs have done that repeatedly, first by giving up all their rights, and in recent times by allowing the players to be paid in advance (the Demetriou players' deal) which put the AFL into debt to finance the players and the clubs into stress.

Next the clubs again put the kybosh on themselves by voting for the AFL to create a future fund. The $80 million sitting in an AFL bank account would go a long way to making life a lot easier for the clubs, but instead it is there for the greater good.

Similarly the clubs allowed the AFL to use the lion's share of the money from the sale of Waverley Park to reinvest and set up the building of Etihad Stadium.

Ironically it is the tying together of all these deals that is the crux of the debate with the players and the league. If the players get all the money they are asking for there will be nothing for the future fund.

The AFL is on record as saying the future fund may be used to buy out early the ownership of Etihad.

The revenue streams from this would help fund the next pay rise the players will need in five years' time.

The magic of AFL is that everyone does really well from a game that is really an anomaly. Still trying to become a national game, far less an international one, we exist for the good of the game and all that love it.

This just explains a little about how the AFL was set up in the early days, and they are being rewarded for it now. The article isn't about analysing the HK deal in detail, but pointing out all the sacrifices that were made in the early days so they could have a sustainable competition in the future, rather than risking everything on a silly deal with an individual player.

dibo

I didn't read the article until you linked it Adz, simply because I don't really care if Eddie Everywhere is having a go, it doesn't affect me (or the sport) in the slightest.

But he's actually making sound points. Funnily enough, his views and goals appear to be very much in line with the 'contre al calcio moderno' folks who want to see strong clubs run for the love of the game, loyal players and affordable tickets so everyone can share in the sport.

If you can't read that and get a sense of the parallels and contrasts then you're not reading it at all.

adz

Staff member
Just renamed this topic for all HK related stuff, seems this will be going on for a while... lol.
Midfielder I merged your AFL media topic into here, I think it's more relevant to this topic than a general AFL vs Sockah thing.

adz

Staff member
Les wants Harry back. http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/les-murray/blog/1064567/Bring-back-Harry

There are those among us who actually doubt the wisdom of bringing home Harry Kewell. I have trouble believing it.

Set aside for the moment the price Harry is asking, or not asking, depending on what you are being told or what you believe. That is a matter of detail.

At the core of all this is that Kewell wants to or is willing to come home and play in the A-League. Is it plausible, I ask you with a sober mind and I think a clear head, that the A-League, its clubs and Football Federation Australia should not clamour at the opportunity? Apparently it is.

A reality check is needed here.

Harry Kewell, a World Cup hero, is the singular biggest name in Australian football. There is simply none bigger.

I need only go back to 2006 when the early morning news bulletins in Australia led with the story that Harry had been let off by FIFA after his spray at the referee following the Brazil game and was allowed to play in the following critical match against Croatia. John Howard, then prime minister, was beside himself as he expressed his pleasure at the news that Harry was available to play.

Harry was critical to the 2-2 draw in that game, scoring the equaliser and securing an outcome that took Australia into the second phase of the World Cup. The way he fought through the pain barrier to finish the game, when he should have been substituted but refused, will never be forgotten by Australian fans.

How we missed him in the Italy game, by which time he was on crutches.

Some argue that Harry is past it, has lost his pace and is injury prone.

All of which, even if true, is again totally irrelevant.

Wasn’t Dwight Yorke more than a bit short on pace by the time he arrived at Sydney FC, forcing him to play in midfield rather than as a striker? He sure was, but that didn’t stop him generating volumes of bums on seats, sponsorship revenues and much media space.

It’s the name, stupid. It’s the Kewell name which alone will attract the additional support and press coverage. Performance, in a marketing sense, unless he proves to be another Jardel, will not count.

Again, Dwight Yorke was not the player we all remembered from his days at Old Trafford and you don’t need to be Nostradamus to predict Kewell will not be the player in the A-League that he was at Leeds United or Liverpool.

But what he will or would be is a smart player, full of guile, with 15 years of experience as a top level professional footballer. How many of those do we have in the A-League?

Indeed, as an aside, if Harry was to come home I would urge him to retreat to playing in midfield – as Yorke did. For intelligent, technically accomplished strikers, midfield, with its more generous spaces, can be a comfort zone when the legs have lost some of their explosive power.

Harry Kewell is 32, younger than Dwight Yorke was, at almost 34, when he made his headline signing with Sydney FC. Unlike Dwight, whose last club before immigrating down under was modest Birmingham City (where he was booed by fans who accused him of being lazy), Harry comes fresh out of a two-year stint with Galatasaray, among Europe’s richer and most ambitious clubs.

There is no substance to the hypothesis, in my view, that Kewell is not good enough to be a star turn in the A-League.

According to what has been reported so far Kewell is seeking a purely performance based commercial deal to come to Australia. He seeks no base salary and no guarantees. He only wants a piece of the extra action that he generates.

This is a massive risk for Kewell and zero risk for the A-League and FFA. If there are no additional bums on seats Kewell gets nothing. If he is injured, and people don’t come, knowing that he is not playing, he gets nothing.

For the A-League, even if it’s the reported 30 per cent of additional revenues that the A-League will get due to Kewell’s presence, this is money for jam.

Given that Kewell is very probably being courted by clubs in the Middle East, Japan and Europe – who WILL put salary guarantees on the table – the only risk FFA is taking is flirting with rejecting an offer that is, frankly, too good to refuse.

There is no down side risk in this for FFA. An FFA, increasingly under fire for making some seriously dumb decisions in recent times, has made just about its dumbest business decision by rejecting the Kewell offer.

I urge it to reconsider. And reconsider real quick.

You only get 500 characters to comment on the article there, so it's hard for someone who likes to blah blah a bit, like I do! LOL.

Any thoughts on this?

kevrenor

Les says, "Set aside for the moment the price Harry is asking, or not asking, depending on what you are being told or what you believe. That is a matter of detail."

No Les it isn't ... it is the main game - whether his contribution makes sense in terms of what can be afforded.

scottmac

Suspended
Kewell's precence in the A-League is worth many times what is being asked for, game performances excluded. The "main game" is wether or not the FFA are willing to spend the marketing budget (and any extra) on being able to market the A-League with the Kewell brand. Having Kewell would be something akin to a FTA higlights package. Mainstream exposure and plenty of it.

scottmac

Suspended
If you can keep him fit. :headbutt:

Him being fit has only a small effect on what the FFA want from him. His image. Thats why I said game performances excluded.

Even if he was injured we would have mainstream coverage of "when will he be fit", "is he playing this week", headlines of "Kewell still injured" "Kewell not living up to the hype" etc etc. If he actually gets on the field and plays well it will only change the topic of that coverage. He is big news even when injured, world cup circus 2010 as proof.

Him being fit will benifit the team he plays for most. Him being here will benifit the game, injured or not.

midfielder

The Herald Sun say its a done deal and Wednesday is the day...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-victory-still-hanging-out-for-harry-kewell/story-e6frfg8x-1226111207474

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred