• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The COVID Chat

Ancient Mariner

Many more variants will evolve. Most will remain rare, but are a good source of sensational news.
See also sharks (Every October)
Worst bushfire season predicted due to dryness in the bush caused by no rain.
Worst bushfire season predicted due to rain causing increased growth in the bush.

Ancient Mariner

. appreciate the response

. it is now 3 months since my second fizzer jab ... and being immunocompromised i figure the effectiveness will be dying off about the time that things open up again and all hell breaks loose - sticking me back in the firing line
Hopefully you will be at the front of the queue for a booster by then. Follow your doctors advice.

true believer

I was online at an immunology conference on the weekend and there is new data coming out that antibodies are not dropping as fast with AZ compared to Pz, and while your protection from getting Covid is better with Pz, you are actually less chance of getting hospitalised and dying from Covid with AZ.

i had az and it was just like a flu shot . i hope they have a covid booster in next years flu shot.
as that's what i'll get . it's proven tech i've been getting for years

bikinigirl

i had az and it was just like a flu shot . i hope they have a covid booster in next years flu shot.
as that's what i'll get . it's proven tech i've been getting for years

. others may be better positioned to comment ... but i was warned of a necessary break between flu and covid jabs ( i think it was a minimum of 2 weeks) as one may compromise the effectiveness of the other

. doctors orders :innocent:

true believer

. others may be better positioned to comment ... but i was warned of a necessary break between flu and covid jabs ( i think it was a minimum of 2 weeks) as one may compromise the effectiveness of the other

yeah good luck with your issues .i had a carbon copy of wombats symtoms for my 1st shot.

ps very happy wombat got his to

Insertnamehere

Mick may be able to correct me here but my understanding was usually if something like SARS becomes more infectious, it becomes less deadly. Cept Ebola, that shit is f**k

Ironbark

I can't speak to this time around but historically a plague type virus evolves to become softer over time. Combo of killing the host and plague avoidance measures select for less dangerous strains over time.
Fingers crossed for more of that please

Ancient Mariner

Mick may be able to correct me here but my understanding was usually if something like SARS becomes more infectious, it becomes less deadly. Cept Ebola, that shit is f**k
They can go either way, however if a virus becomes more deadly, it tends to be selected against as it kills its host which limits its spread.
The main problem with Covid 19 is that most of the world's population has never been exposed to its like before hence are very vulnerable.
The way to avoid serious outcomes is to have some level of immunity no matter what amount. You can get that by catching the virus and surviving or having a vaccination. With Covid neither will probably protect you forever but should give some level of protection should you catch it in future.

Ancient Mariner

As an interesting addition those who were infected with SARS and survived appear to possibly be fully immune to Covid 19. Researchers are trying to find these survivors to find out if this is truly the case.

Ancient Mariner

The gap between your flu shot and Covid shot is to give your immune system a bit of a rest between having to gear up and produce antibodies. Gives a better response.

marinermick

MM

Heard any think at your end... WHO issuing a warning there is a new South African Variant, that's twice as infectious and vaccine resistant..

{quote] There are growing concerns a new COVID-19 variant detected in South Africa could be resistant to vaccines after a study revealed it's more infectious and moves 'twice as fast' as other variants including Delta.

A new coronavirus variant has been detected in South Africa, with experts fearing it could be resistant to vaccines due to its highly infectious nature.
The variant, known as C.1.2, was first identified in May 2021 and has since been found in England, China, Portugal, Switzerland and New Zealand.

A new preprint study by South Africa's National Institute for Communicable Diseases says the new variant, believed to have evolved from C.1, has "concerning constellations of mutations".

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Will do some reading in this that’s not Sky.

I know there is a lambda variant coming out of Sth America that is more resistant to vaccines but less virulent than delta.

midfielder

Interesting guys and sharing... and wonders aloud if others are doing it..... my professional association is running webnair for members to help us thu the lockdown, below is the email sent to me... BTW I registered ....

Hi Glenn join us for a complimentary CPD webinar - engaging and motivating staff and yourself in interesting times

Engaging and Motivating Staff And Yourself In Interesting Times​

This is a remote seminar
This session is from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm AEST

Discover the keys to engaging and motivating yourself and your team including practical tips to use for when fatigue is starting to set in. Remind yourself of the simple things you can do every day to keep yourself and your team energised, focused and happy. As it is an interesting time to recruit and retain accounting staff, it has never been more important to keep you and your team happy.
Topics Covered:
  • The keys to keeping teams motivated and engaged (and they might not be what you think)
  • The secrets to keeping people’s energy up
  • Simple practical tips you can use every day and implement straight away in your workplace

Benefits and Learning Outcomes:
There is nothing better than a workplace that is happy, energised and effective.
Recommended For:
Accountants who are sole practitioners or work with teams

Meet Your Speaker, Petris Lapis:
Petris has worked in accounting, law, academia, banking, business and training. She has consulted to government and industry and published several books and hundreds of papers. She has studied commerce, law, coaching, NLP and hypnosis and is passionate about helping professionals thrive and succeed.

marinermick

In the past, yes, but may or may not be the case in the future.

People say that viruses are smart and get around the body’s immune system or vaccines because it is deliberate. This is not true. They are basic organisms and pretty much replication is a mutation meaning there are countless mutations happening daily. Eventually one of the mutations break through our defence systems because they are more transmissible or more virulent and become the dominant strain.

Ancient Mariner

In the past, yes, but may or may not be the case in the future.

People say that viruses are smart and get around the body’s immune system or vaccines because it is deliberate. This is not true. They are basic organisms and pretty much replication is a mutation meaning there are countless mutations happening daily. Eventually one of the mutations break through our defence systems because they are more transmissible or more virulent and become the dominant strain.
The virus replicates in a hosts cell by hijacking the host cells machinery continuously until stopped. During this replication millions of copies of the virus are made. Fairly often a mistake occurs in reading the blueprint and a mutation occurs. Most mutations are faulty and progress no further, but extremely rarely a mutation may occur that is beneficial. When this happens it may out compete the original virus in the host organism, or it may be better at being transmitted to another host.
From then it is just a matter of how efficient it is in being transmitted as to whether it lasts and spreads enough to become recognised and listed as a new variant.
Because there are so many replications happening in each host and so many infected hosts in the world. The infinitessimally small chance of a successful mutation appearing becomes an almost certainty.
It is the major, apart from humanitarian, reason to ensure that as much of the world's population is immunised develop some form of immunity to limit the chance of a nastier mutations occurring.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I suspect the best we can hope for is that it becomes a seasonal problem, hopefully not worse than the flu.
However, remember "Never make predictions especially about the future" - Sam Goldwin.
On the positive side coronaviruses appear to mutate less rapidly than flu viruses so hopefully new vaccines will not have to be too rapidly developed.
Interesting times.

true believer

The virus replicates in a hosts cell by hijacking the host cells machinery continuously until stopped. During this replication millions of copies of the virus are made. Fairly often a mistake occurs in reading the blueprint and a mutation occurs. Most mutations are faulty and progress no further, but extremely rarely a mutation may occur that is beneficial. When this happens it may out compete the original virus in the host organism, or it may be better at being transmitted to another host.
From then it is just a matter of how efficient it is in being transmitted as to whether it lasts and spreads enough to become recognised and listed as a new variant.
Because there are so many replications happening in each host and so many infected hosts in the world. The infinitessimally small chance of a successful mutation appearing becomes an almost certainty.
It is the major, apart from humanitarian, reason to ensure that as much of the world's population is immunised develop some form of immunity to limit the chance of a nastier mutations occurring.
channeling carl sagan ?

Kilsin

I got AZ yesterday at 2pm. Last night I had no effects and was dancing to The Voice. During the night my calfs got a bit sore and I had the chills and sweats but I was up at 7.30am and just felt hungover (haven't had a drink since Sat) when I got up. I do have a mild headache and my body is sore but it was sore before due to lack of massage. I have no soreness in my arm.
All in all I think there is nothing to fear in this Vax but my mate got one at 3pm yesterday and he was shivering and had a pounding headache at 6.30pm. I talked him out of getting on the Bourbon and he went to bed. I think for most people 2 days of feeling a little off is the standard.
I dont know if it has been fine turned but the reports of people having to go to hospital and staying in bed for 3 days seems much less than before.
I am booked in for the 2nd Jab in 4 weeks time.
My brother had his AZ jab the same day as me and ended up in hospital with a bad reaction, kept in for two days and he's home now but not feeling great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred