• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The COVID Chat

Corsair

90% - 9 Nov
This is never going to happen. If we hit 85% that'll be a miracle. I've got friends who are University educated in high paying jobs who are not vaccinated and don't plan to get vaccinated. Total distrust of the government and of having their hand forced. There will always be hold outs, if we hit 85% i'll be impressed, that's if you trust what's being reported anyway....

People are totally sick of lockdown, I'm seeing people who've played by the rules the whole way start to flout them.

pjennings

This is never going to happen. If we hit 85% that'll be a miracle. I've got friends who are University educated in high paying jobs who are not vaccinated and don't plan to get vaccinated. Total distrust of the government and of having their hand forced. There will always be hold outs, if we hit 85% i'll be impressed, that's if you trust what's being reported anyway....

People are totally sick of lockdown, I'm seeing people who've played by the rules the whole way start to flout them.
Maybe not - but that wasn't the point of post. As I said the rant was about the media. In fact the government targets may very well be the correct settings - but we will never know while the media is doing such as superficial job.

However, the ACT expect to hit 85% first dose within 2 weeks (and assume people will follow through with the second dose). They are showing no signs of slow down because of any hesitancy and are saying the only reason they aren't further ahead is because of supply constrictions. They expect to be at 90% well ahead of NSW at 80%. Barilaro mentioned during the week communities in NSW where there was very low coverage because that are now over 95% first dose after a mobile centre was set up.

From the coverage received in the media you would think that 40% of people are anti-vax. In reality Australia has traditionally been a very high vaccinated country with a very low percentage not wanting to take vaccinations.

Why would these vaccines be different? And why give equal or more time in news and current affairs programs to such a minority view. Simply because controversy help ratings.

Last edited:

Corsair

People like to be right, especially if they're going against the " gullible herd".

My childhood friend who i 100% trust in the UK has got long covid, it's really really bad.

This thing is not horse shit it's real and you might get away with mild symptoms or you might get really badly affected for years. Life changing bad, like having a disability.

I don't know why there hasn't been more interviews in the media with long term sufferers. Probably because it doesn't sell as well as conspiracy theory. So yes i agree the mainstream media could be doing more constructive work.

turbo

If we hit 85% that'll be a miracle. I've got friends who are University educated in high paying jobs who are not vaccinated and don't plan to get vaccinated. Total distrust of the government and of having their hand forced. There will always be hold outs,
That’s actually why I think they have to start opening up to force the fence sitters or against with flimsy reasons to rethink their opposition. It’s easy to be anti jab with nothing on the line but what if it’s holding you back from the things you enjoy like going to the pub, restaurants, gym or a football game?

For some it will go even further when businesses or industries make it mandatory - do you believe what you’re reading online enough to change jobs or careers (and potentially a big $ hit)? I know of a few hold outs that are getting the jab because they can see it will only get that much harder to hold out and their reasons aren’t that strong. On the other hand my wife works in health and knows a few people prepared to walk out of their jobs when the mandatory date rolls around. In some ways I respect it more if they’ve got that kind of strength of conviction even though it’s for stupid reasons. You’ll never convince those people but I don’t think there’s too many that committed.

turbo

I don't know why there hasn't been more interviews in the media with long term sufferers.
I’ve seen a few here and there but the main ones that need to see it are the ones who would write them off as shills or crisis actors. Remember there’s people that genuinely believe any number of US school shooting survivors, or even worse grieving parents are actors.

Tevor

Maybe not - but that wasn't the point of post. As I said the rant was about the media. In fact the government targets may very well be the correct settings - but we will never know while the media is doing such as superficial job.

However, the ACT expect to hit 85% first dose within 2 weeks (and assume people will follow through with the second dose). They are showing no signs of slow down because of any hesitancy and are saying the only reason they aren't further ahead is because of supply constrictions. They expect to be at 90% well ahead of NSW at 80%. Barilaro mentioned during the week communities in NSW where there was very low coverage because that are now over 95% first dose after a mobile centre was set up.

From the coverage received in the media you would think that 40% of people are anti-vax. In reality Australia has traditionally been a very high vaccinated country with a very low percentage not wanting to take vaccinations.

Why would these vaccines be different? And why give equal or more time in news and current affairs programs to such a minority view. Simply because controversy help ratings.
Agree the Media is terrible, I try not to watch or read much these days as I find it just plain annoying. Fake news and rumors on Facebook have also been out of control since the pandemic started. I'm so glad I'm not on FB when I see how good friends react to rumors and speculation flowing around social media.

I believe they are trying to open up early to maximise the economic boost from Christmas.

With vaccinations, I manage a team of 10 and I have one clear anti-vaxer however I can see them beginning to concede and I have been surprised how willing everyone has been to get vaccinated. Freedoms are a huge draw card and this has been shown overseas as well so I'm not surprised the Government is using it as a tactic.

yellowcake

Been too busy to check on ccmfans for a few months...

It's been amazing what an unfolding outbreak (which actually has so far infected just 0.5% of the NSW population) and to some extent the carrot of freedoms for the double-vaxed has heightened peoples' keenness for jabs. I'm sure we'd be dragging the chain without it. They're way safer than the alternative(s) and the clearest road out of this shit. Carry on!

pjennings

Make it a requirement to be double-jabbed to get a takeaway coffee and our workplace would be at 100% very quickly.

marinermick

Been too busy to check on ccmfans for a few months...

It's been amazing what an unfolding outbreak (which actually has so far infected just 0.5% of the NSW population) and to some extent the carrot of freedoms for the double-vaxed has heightened peoples' keenness for jabs. I'm sure we'd be dragging the chain without it. They're way safer than the alternative(s) and the clearest road out of this shit. Carry on!

Good to have an actual physician in this thread and good to have you back doc.

marinermick

Speaking to a doctor this morning and the currently is happening at Gosford Hospital:
- surgery lists are being cut in half to accommodate Covid patients
- Sydney Covid patients are being transported to Gosford Hospital because Sydney hospitals are full
- Public physicians, regardless of speciality, have to spend at least one week in a Covid ward. This doctor, practicing on Gosford, has to dump his patient load to go and work in a Sydney hospital.

turbo

Maybe, one day, our population will realise hospitals are more important than tax cuts.
It’s not quite that simple though, we don’t often encounter something like this that puts a whole system under strain at once. Obviously investment would help on a range of issues but it wouldn’t necessarily stop some of the challenges that have been around in the last couple of months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred