• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The COVID Chat

Allreet?

Mrs Allreet is a doctor and while she's not saying the health system is about to collapse, it is under massive pressure.

She also thinks there's about to be a major wave on the Coast.

The only pathway out of this is vaccination, but I've learned there actually is a significant subculture out there that don't won't us to find our way back. They want some form of revolution fueled by Trumpist ranters bringing their lunacy to Oz. Fortunately they barely have two neurons to rub together so I guess it'll blow over.

bikinigirl

On the internet?

Not sure if serious...
. always serious :innocent:

... but i wasn't referring to the internet
. i know a lot of it is deliberate f**kwittery ... but you would think [hope?] that if people had enough intelligence to find fault in every, bloody, thing and purposefully take it out of context - you would think they would have enough intelligence to follow common sense and do the right thing

... oh well, s'pose we're all doomed

marinermick

Mrs Allreet is a doctor and while she's not saying the health system is about to collapse, it is under massive pressure.

The only pathway out of this is vaccination, but I've learned there actually is a significant subculture out there that don't won't us to find our way back. They want some form of revolution fueled by Trumpist ranters bringing their lunacy to Oz. Fortunately they barely have two neurons to rub together so I guess it'll blow over.

Republicans are dying of Covid at five times the rate of Democrats in the US. Looks like their depopulation theory with vaccines is playing out perfectly #irony

Last edited:

true believer

. always serious :innocent:

... but i wasn't referring to the internet
. i know a lot of it is deliberate f**kwittery ... but you would think [hope?] that if people had enough intelligence to find fault in every, bloody, thing and purposefully take it out of context - you would think they would have enough intelligence to follow common sense and do the right thing

... oh well, s'pose we're all doomed
there is a lot of people that are very smart that believe fairy tales bk.
their personal acquaintances . of mine and probably yours .
we've as a community , have walked the conspiracy theory path since kennedy got shot .
now people believe every thing they hear .on what ever platform their tuning into .

marinermick

there is a lot of people that are very smart that believe fairy tales bk.
their personal acquaintances . of mine and probably yours .
we've as a community , have walked the conspiracy theory path since kennedy got shot .
now people believe every thing they hear .on what ever platform their tuning into .

This is certainly true but what I think what is getting worse is people are actually believing more in the validity of what they say and their opinions/theories as plain facts.

I am sick of people saying “I have my opinion, you have yours” as if opinion equals facts.

People can have their opinions but believing their sub-educated medical minds can stack up against the weight of the medical fraternity is just plain crazy. And then one outlier in this fraternity corroborates what they believe and they hold this as a universal truth to support their confirmation bias. This is further exacerbated by social media algorithms that allows them to live in an echo chamber of like minded thought.

Corsair

I've been really hoping we'd come out of lockdown on Friday. There's no chance now, 15 cases yesterday on the coast and 14 active in the community, we're toast.

When you've got an infected person working in Aldi for a day and someone in a garden centre for 2 days you're gone. The numbers are going to explode.

But....

Attachments

• opinion-man.gif
    opinion-man.gif
    58 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

This is one very efficient, highly contagious bug.The numbers will continue to increase until there are enough with immunity from either vaccination and infection.
No argument that infections will probably increase fairly rapidly on the Coast.
Stay safe.
I very much doubt that anyone will be able to avoid infection, indefinitely, without vaccination.

true believer

I have friends like that. When they start believing their fairytales I start thinking that they are not smart at all.
i have family with dual qualifications in science and medicine .
the thing that stops logical thought is fundamentalist belief .
i was even told point blank that murdoch is a democrat . i've even had the defence of the bible and the gun.
on the bright side, on insiders this morning. they announced if you have the double tap .you get to see football , in October

midfielder

i have family with dual qualifications in science and medicine .
the thing that stops logical thought is fundamentalist belief .
i was even told point blank that murdoch is a democrat . i've even had the defence of the bible and the gun.
on the bright side, on insiders this morning. they announced if you have the double tap .you get to see football , in October
Personally I think by far the biggest area stopping logical thought is decades of attacking anything in science that did not suit a political stance... so climate change, economic reform.. the list goes on..

Starts with hhhhhmmmm mid 90's when we had far more choice across a variety of broadcast platforms FM radio was now king... so AM via people like Alan Jones needed to find an issue to attack every day... so they attacked big government, universities etc.

So faith in our institutions and leaders started to fall.... add to this the drop in educational standards for many qualifications...

You can see in the US the long term effects of massive reductions on education budgets...

The fundamentalist today includes many non religious groups as well...

Add as mentioned earlier that google now allows you to stay in a bubble and start preaching to a wider world...

Confusing matters hugely in Australia has been the huge difference of opinion by experts... every gov decision is discussed by our media and you get the feeling broadcasters want their experts to disagree with what the gov is doing.

That QLD head of health who said no one under 60 should take AZ as hey may die... that only applied if QLD could stay at zero cases... but its an example of both how confusing the message and how it plays into the hands of the bubble people.

I think, no jab no fly, no jab not go to things live movies, restaurants, sporting events,,, no jab no work ... is the only way

true believer

Personally I think by far the biggest area stopping logical thought is decades of attacking anything in science that did not suit a political stance... so climate change, economic reform.. the list goes on..

Starts with hhhhhmmmm mid 90's when we had far more choice across a variety of broadcast platforms FM radio was now king... so AM via people like Alan Jones needed to find an issue to attack every day... so they attacked big government, universities etc.

So faith in our institutions and leaders started to fall.... add to this the drop in educational standards for many qualifications...

You can see in the US the long term effects of massive reductions on education budgets...

The fundamentalist today includes many non religious groups as well...

Add as mentioned earlier that google now allows you to stay in a bubble and start preaching to a wider world...

Confusing matters hugely in Australia has been the huge difference of opinion by experts... every gov decision is discussed by our media and you get the feeling broadcasters want their experts to disagree with what the gov is doing.

That QLD head of health who said no one under 60 should take AZ as hey may die... that only applied if QLD could stay at zero cases... but its an example of both how confusing the message and how it plays into the hands of the bubble people.

I think, no jab no fly, no jab not go to things live movies, restaurants, sporting events,,, no jab no work ... is the only way

Opinion | The Snake Oil Theory of the Modern Right​

Opinion-The-Snake-Oil-Theory-of-the-Modern-Right.jpg

You don’t hear a lot nowadays about “economic anxiety.” Most observers acknowledge that the rise of the Trumpist proper was pushed by racial and social antagonism, not financial populism.
Yet there may be an financial ingredient to political extremism, simply not what you’d suppose. Right-wing extremists, and to some extent much more mainstream conservative media, depend on monetary assist from corporations promoting dietary dietary supplements and miracle cures — and that monetary assist is arguably a big issue pushing the proper to turn out to be extra excessive. Indeed, right-wing extremism isn’t simply an ideological motion that occurs to get lots of cash from sellers of snake oil; some of its extremism can most likely be seen not as a mirrored image of deep conviction, however as a method of selling snake oil.
Consider the place we’re proper now in the battle towards Covid-19. A number of months in the past it appeared possible that the improvement of efficient vaccines would quickly deliver the pandemic to an finish. Instead, it goes on, with hospitalizations closing in on their peak from final winter. This is partly as a result of the emergence of the extremely contagious Delta variant, but it surely additionally crucially displays the refusal of many Americans to take the vaccines.
And a lot of this refusal is political. True, many people who find themselves refusing to get vaccinated aren’t Trumpists, however there’s a powerful detrimental correlation between Donald Trump’s share of a county’s vote and vaccinations. As of July, 86 p.c of self-identified Democrats stated that they had had a vaccine shot, however solely 54 p.c of Republicans did.
But vaccine refusers aren’t simply rejecting lifesaving vaccines, they’re additionally turning to life-threatening alternate options. We’re seeing a surge in gross sales of — and poisoning by — ivermectin, which is often used to deworm livestock however has just lately been touted on social media and Fox News as a Covid remedy.
OK, I didn’t see that coming. But I ought to have. As the historian Rick Perlstein has identified, there’s a protracted affiliation between peddlers of quack drugs and right-wing extremists. They cater to roughly the similar viewers.
That is, Americans keen to consider that Barack Obama was born in Kenya and that Italian satellites have been used to modify votes to Joe Biden are additionally the form of folks keen to consider that medical elites are mendacity to them and that they’ll resolve their well being issues by ignoring skilled recommendation and shopping for patent medicines as an alternative.
Once you’re sensitized to the hyperlink between snake oil and right-wing politics, you notice that it’s pervasive.
This is clearly true in the proper’s fever swamps. Alex Jones of Infowars has constructed a following by pushing conspiracy theories, however he makes cash by promoting dietary dietary supplements.
It’s additionally true, nonetheless, for extra mainstream, institution elements of the proper. For instance, Ben Shapiro, thought-about an mental on the proper, hawks dietary supplements.
Look at who advertises on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News present. After Fox itself, the prime advertisers are My Pillow, then three complement corporations.
Snake oil peddlers, clearly, discover shoppers of right-wing information and punditry a beneficial marketplace for their wares. So it shouldn’t be shocking to seek out many right-leaning Americans able to see vaccination as a liberal plot and switch to doubtful alternate options — though, once more, I didn’t see livestock dewormer coming.
The fascinating query, nonetheless, is to what extent the connection between right-wing politics and snake oil advertising has formed the political panorama.
Put it this manner: There are huge monetary rewards to extremism, as a result of excessive politics sells patent drugs, and patent drugs is extremely worthwhile. (In 2014 Alex Jones’s operations have been bringing in additional than $20 million a yr in income, primarily from complement gross sales.) Do these monetary rewards induce pundits to be extra excessive? It can be shocking in the event that they didn’t — as conservative economists say, incentives matter.
The extremism of media figures radicalizes their viewers, giving politicians an incentive to turn out to be extra excessive.
So you possibly can see how vaccination turned such a flash level. Getting pictures in arms is a precedence for a Democratic president, which robotically generates intense hostility amongst individuals who wish to see Joe Biden fail. And such folks have been already primed to reject medical experience and consider in quack cures.
Surely everybody on the proper seen that even Donald Trump received booed just lately when he advised attendees at a rally that they need to get vaccinated. He most likely received’t say that once more, and would-be future Trumps positively received’t.
None of this is able to be occurring if there weren’t a local weather of anger and mistrust for unscrupulous pundits and politicians to take advantage of. But the undeniable fact that extremism sells patent drugs creates a monetary incentive to get extra excessive.
You may say that if American democracy is at risk, that’s partly as a result of sellers of snake oil — not unhealthy coverage concepts, however precise unhealthy drugs — have been pulling off this one bizarre trick.

jones , kelly , fat clive , the member for south manila , canavan etc

Last edited:

pjennings

An Oklahoma doctor has said overdoses of the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin, which many believe without evidence can prevent or cure Covid-19, are helping cause delays and problems for rural hospitals and ambulance services struggling to cope with the resurgent pandemic.

So it seems after all this time that global worming was a problem.

Sorry I'll get my coat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred