• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sounding off about the band

VicMariner

Duh...because Western Sydney Wanders have been using that chant since they invented and joined the HAL in 1712.
They also invented hair dryers, commercial size microwave ovens, cordless rocks and those little animals that go "meep, meep, meep".

Rowdy

Duh...because Western Sydney Wanders have been using that chant since they invented and joined the HAL in 1712.

They also invented hair dryers, commercial size microwave ovens, cordless rocks and those little animals that go "meep, meep, meep".

Sarcasm aside & to the contrary, Ancient Mariner mightn't be that ancient after all.

...... his 'carbon date' of initiation may be well after 2005 & thus may very will think WSW invented 'WDYSF?' for all we know ?

I asked the Q because I've met many CCM newbies that think they did.

shipwreck

No offence to the band who have good intentions, but im personally not a fan at all.

It feels out of place and cheap, especially when its the only thing you hear across a dead stadium.

About as out of place as cheerleaders or people selling pretzels and hotdogs would be, leave cheap American gimmicks to cheap American sports.

Coast Football Ramble

Let's get some shit straight.

We started the Who do we sing for chant following an Olyroos vs Iraq qualifier in 2007, predating the whole WSW club by 5 years.
Why did you not hear it much before WSW came into the league?
We tried that call and response chant quite number of times (50+) and the majority of the crowd weren't interested (like most call response chants we do)
So we put it aside or just used it for our own bay until the chant became well known enough for our members that we could attempt and successfully use it again.

There has been a few issues going on in the brass band away from the stadium.and away from Yellow Army and things that have nothing to do with us since the first incarnation of the band, which caused a dramatic shift in the line up of people attending the games.

The first band was brilliant, they knew when to play, what tempo and at what volume.
YA and the band synchronised perfectly and most importantly, they were football fans.
However, as mentioned above, due to the continuing changing line-up this is no longer the case.

We tried talking to the original band member, but they didn't want to know anything about it, until...
We held a meeting with the current band leader, explained the issues and why we thought that the situation at the time wasn't working.
Unfortunately only one side wanted to bargain and meet in the middle, and it wasn't the band. At the end of it an agreement couldn't be met.
We honestly tried to keep them there, but it wasn't to be.

The band in it's current format does disrupt the vocal support, a lot, more than you think.
All the virtues of the first band are flipped, the decisions on volume, timing, choosing when to play are all incorrect.
I can't completely fault the current band leader as this is what they were told to do.
In our meeting the current band leader admitted that most of the band don't care for football and basically use it as a gig. They're not the kind of people that get passionate about football, or know what's going on in the game.
If you can't read the game or the atmosphere then you're going to struggle at actively supporting the team.
Numbers dwindled and a hell of a lot of people near the band got annoyed with it.

Since our meeting with the band member, We discussed the whole situation on show.

After this aired we tried meeting with the original band leader again, but nothing has come from this.

We understand that many of the people love the band, we get it.
But at the moment, it's a destructive force for vocal active support.

I was told by the club that the band would be back but not involved with us.

- Jimmy.

Ancient Mariner

Thank you Jimmy for throwing light onto this discussion.

I especially agree with your comment about timing and volume being of critical importance to active support. The lack of timing was one of the many reasons I moved on from Bay 16 many years ago.

If the current band leader is being told what to do maybe it is time to talk to who is giving the orders.

Coast Football Ramble

Thank you Jimmy for throwing light onto this discussion.

I especially agree with your comment about timing and volume being of critical importance to active support. The lack of timing was one of the many reasons I moved on from Bay 16 many years ago.

If the current band leader is being told what to do maybe it is time to talk to who is giving the orders.

Those orders came from the previous band leader.
We explained to the current leader that these orders were not appropriate.
These suggestions were ignored the very next game.
They've not been back since.

Ancient Mariner

Sarcasm aside & to the contrary, Ancient Mariner mightn't be that ancient after all.

...... his 'carbon date' of initiation may be well after 2005 & thus may very will think WSW invented 'WDYSF?' for all we know ?

I asked the Q because I've met many CCM newbies that think they did.

Unfortunately I am very ancient (original forum carbon date Nov. 2004), however I have been away from active support for many years.

Rowdy

Because I had not heard it before hearing WSW on t.v.

I was unaware that we had used it unsuccessfully prior to this.
I suspected that you might of had that misconception, but was prepared to let you explain why before giving the facts as Jimmy has above.

As I said above also, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people (casuals/newbies) who walk past the back of the Bay16 & question why we 'ripped-off' the Wanderer's song. :headbutt:

Coast Football Ramble

Those orders came from the previous band leader.
We explained to the current leader that these orders were not appropriate.
These suggestions were ignored the very next game.
They've not been back since.

Having said all this, the original orders probably weren't followed or maybe misunderstood.
And since that point, after our continued requests and suggestions, they've all been ignored and the band continued doing whatever they wanted to do.

Coast Football Ramble

Is the band paid for by the club, or do they just turn up?

That's a grey area, You'd have to ask the original members, I don't know if you'll get a straight answer or not.

I'd rather not mention the finer points of what I know on here.

But that brings up another issue.
Vocal support in bay 16 pays for memberships to go to games, we support the team because we want to; Not because it's a gig that we got free tickets to attend.

There's a completely different mentality there between the two groups that just can't co-habit which has been an issue since the start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred