• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sounding off about the band

We should bring back the brass band the stadium needs more atmosphere peter prior what's the go
#fairgoforthebando
#binghamout

priorpeter

We should bring back the brass band the stadium needs more atmosphere peter prior what's the go
#fairgoforthebando
#binghamout

The stadium needs more atmosphere does not = we should bring back the brass band.
There's no ill feeling from me towards them, it just got to a point where it simply wasn't working anymore.

scottmac

Suspended
The stadium got no atmosphere at the moment cause we aren't playing yet. Let's see what happens after the most positive off season in a while and a derby to start the year

style_cafe

The stadium needs more atmosphere does not = we should bring back the brass band.
There's no ill feeling from me towards them, it just got to a point where it simply wasn't working anymore.

IMO I think it would be great if the active support & the brass band could sit down together, have a few beers & work something out.
With the two together it was awesome support & I think most of the rusted-ons would agree.
In a season that promises some light at the end of the tunnel, a united bay 16 would be a welcome sight.:cheers:

Ozhammer

The band will be back and better than ever from what I am hearing.

Love 'em or loathe 'em, they do add to the atmosphere, which has been sadly lacking in recent seasons, so I for one will be happy to have them doing their part on match day.

dibo

The band actually hurts the atmosphere. It overwhelms the singing. It doesn't complement or reinforce the singing, it has displaced it.

Big Al

The band actually hurts the atmosphere. It overwhelms the singing. It doesn't complement or reinforce the singing, it has displaced it.
The band doesn't hurt the atmosphere because the people here wanting the band are people like me not in the YA or surrounding areas. We can only hear the band. Hence people not associated with that section are possibly missing the band because it can be heard from everywhere, hence it adds to the atmosphere.

I absolutely understand the frustration of the YA and a working agreement needs to be made and if not the band should be moved well away or possibly not exist.

I personally do miss them but they need to fit in and be part of the team

Coastalraider

Agree that the band should be involved somehow. Every team has a core of supporters that will attend even when we are fighting to miss the spoon, and getting smoked every week. These hardcore fans (and I would imagine most people on the forum fall into this group) probably couldn't care less about the band, or how the atmosphere that it brings translates to the grandstands. That's fair, you do the hard yards,and potentially are involved in the singing, and see the band as a nuisance. The issue is that the core group is only 3-4000 pax? We want 10,000 to be a regular at games, and things like game day experience and success will bring the casual fans to games. The band is a major draw card for the casuals, as its a fun thing for the family. My boy asks when we can go see the mariners and listen to the band. In Rugby League season, we follow the raiders - using the Viking clap has had a major impact on drawing additional fans to games and giving that team a point of difference from others in the comp. Its been great from a promotional point of view as its unique (to league) and really creates an atmosphere that no other team has. Some of the best grand stand atmospheres at mariners games have been when the band starts roaming through the upper tiers. Its awesome up there, and should be encouraged.

I think the band should be embraced, and worked with, as a well functioning band/singing combo is ultimately the outcome that will have the best result.

Peter we all love what you do for The club there every game losing your voice but everyone should have a say as the whole stadium is involved with active support some shape or form my kids love the band and always sing along the band doesn't hurt that much and it brings more people to bay 16 that's surely not a bad thing and more people to games believe it or not

dibo

the band doesn't hurt that much
Not hurting much isn't the measure we're going for. It needs to help. I don't think it's helping. For example, when the YA does "shalalala", it trails off into a bloody trumpet solo and drowns out any attempt to sing for several minutes. That's certainly not helping, and I would argue it hurts.

It's a chant that I think we do pretty poorly, generally, because it's tuneless. The band could actually help, by playing it with an actual tune so it sounds less like a funereal dirge (and FWIW, I've sent videos to MBB on FB so they could learn), but instead they keep it as a dirge and worse, drown out the singing afterwards. It puts my teeth on edge every. fricking. time.

it brings more people to bay 16 that's surely not a bad thing
If you're counting the members of the band themselves, sure. If you're counting people who aren't playing instruments, I really don't reckon it does. And from my vantage point (no longer in Bay 16, but for some special occasions like derbies and retro days) the proportion of people in Bay 16 not carrying an instrument has plummeted in the last couple of years.

and more people to games believe it or not
That's a contestable claim. I could say you're wrong, and you'll ask for proof, but it's your claim to begin with.

The band started off with us in 2013/14, and our crowds are definitely down from that point (Gosford games averaged 9,601 that year, and 7,799 last year).

I don't think they're down because of the band, but I really don't see how you could claim that the band have had any influence over the crowds when our on-field performance and off-field turmoil would have been far greater influences.

Ancient Mariner

I much prefer the band to 2nd hand chants like "who do you sing for?"

Until the numbers in the active support bay increase the band is all that is really there for crowd colour.

It is one thing (along with the cannon) that we have, that is different to other teams.

If it clashes with Bay 16 move.

Surely the two groups can work together to coordinate things to get the best of both worlds.

The only thing I really dislike is using them on the pitch at the start of a game.

ZedSpecials

Agree that the band should be involved somehow. Every team has a core of supporters that will attend even when we are fighting to miss the spoon, and getting smoked every week. These hardcore fans (and I would imagine most people on the forum fall into this group) probably couldn't care less about the band, or how the atmosphere that it brings translates to the grandstands. That's fair, you do the hard yards,and potentially are involved in the singing, and see the band as a nuisance. The issue is that the core group is only 3-4000 pax? We want 10,000 to be a regular at games, and things like game day experience and success will bring the casual fans to games. The band is a major draw card for the casuals, as its a fun thing for the family. My boy asks when we can go see the mariners and listen to the band. In Rugby League season, we follow the raiders - using the Viking clap has had a major impact on drawing additional fans to games and giving that team a point of difference from others in the comp. Its been great from a promotional point of view as its unique (to league) and really creates an atmosphere that no other team has. Some of the best grand stand atmospheres at mariners games have been when the band starts roaming through the upper tiers. Its awesome up there, and should be encouraged.

I think the band should be embraced, and worked with, as a well functioning band/singing combo is ultimately the outcome that will have the best result.
Couldn't agree more with all of this CR I appreciate your words.

Rowdy

the band doesn't hurt that much and it brings more people to bay 16
You're wrong on that one !
- I know at least a dozen people, some of whom were there from the beginning of Season 1& all have left Bay16 because of 'The Band' ..... they were effectively sick of it.

So I would have to disagree in the argument of 'where you sit/stand' and that it DOES make a difference, in regards to one's opinion on this particular subject.

Rowdy

Suffice to say, after personally being there continuously for 12 odd years,

- If you dont stand in Bay16 you're a spectator NOT a participant.

Tevor

If the team performs better this season as we hope and somewhat expect the general crowd atmosphere will improve irrespective. I've only been a member for three seasons (probably the worst ones to have been as well) and I do like the band and my kids love it and also love the "who do you sing for" chant that goes around the stadium. Therefore if the YA and MBB can work together somehow we will have the best of both worlds and a great stadium experience.

I do get the YA's position on the band so I truely hope they can work together as I would hate to see either move or stop attending.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Yeah, let's not start dissing 'who do you sing for', ffs...

Also, I like the band. I'm interstate but on TV it's nice to usually have it there - and I'm glad they do things other than endless Tetris. It sounds like it's adding to CCM's noise on screen, so that's only a good thing.

I have no issues with the fact that the club is what's paying for them - and let's be honest; our bay 16 noise and numbers haven't been stellar for a long time, so I'm all for something trying to help it along.

If there are some clashes, then yeah, there should be some face to face meetings to get everybody on the same page.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami