• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Staj be Given a 5 Year Contract? ....and the Keys to Gosford.

Huddo

Agree with you 100%
This thread has devolved 10x over.
All we can go by is what was released by the club and the Stajcic crew, and from what we can tell (I know both statements are just Corpo comments), it was a mutual parting.
Comments such as "My source tells me that Olli was the real leader and he lost the dressing room" is just utter nonsense and gossip.
Just as my source telling me the complete opposite and it was entirely due to MC, and lack of financial backing is also nonsense and gossip.
Jumping to conclusions and speculating on rumours is not healthy for both Stajcic and MC; some pretty harsh things were said about both parties in this thread, and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Let's just be happy that he came over when he did, got us back to the top and move on.

So believe what you want, but the issue with this matter is how much is currently in the fog.
Staj has decided to leave midcontract and he hasn't explained himself.
Noting MCs contribution in the past, no one would blame him if financing was the problem, but that's rumour.
The lack of reasons just allows for more aspersions.
Now noting Staj will not speak out so as not to risk future employment, and MC isn't adding anything, hearsay and second hand knowledge is all we have.
Right now we have no coach, and people are trying to workout if we will be alright, I chose to believe that the team was bigger than one coach, and as such we will.
If people take hope in the knowledge that the playing group does not feel this to be a great loss, let em, we're in very uncertain times and staj ain't coming back.

Huddo

No no I get what you are saying, and I get people are just looking for hope in a shitty situation, but comments like “he clearly lost the dressing shed” or “he will never succeeded at another Aleague club” like it’s a matter of fact is just completely ridiculous. Someone even called him “A dog” in another thread
All I can say is high emotions breed highly emotive statements.

Forum Phoenix

No no I get what you are saying, and I get people are just looking for hope in a shitty situation, but comments like “he clearly lost the dressing shed” or “he will never succeeded at another Aleague club” like it’s a matter of fact is just completely ridiculous. Someone even called him “A dog” in another thread
That’s just wombat for - I’m perturbed. To become fluent in Wombat, you take a word like, bloke, mate or friend... and replace it with clown, muppet or arsehat.

To be fair OS, I’ve noticed you don’t mind throwing a few ad hominems around yourself. And it’s notably been just for even suggesting that Staj may have done something less than optimal in a game. That’s presumably why people on here think you’re Alen’s mum.

Rightly or wrongly, when the coach you support suddenly breaks his contract and walks out on your club, emotions were always going to run high and people were going to have a rant on the internet.

Last edited:

Avoca

Staj is nominated for the A-League coach of the year. I’m hoping he wins.

“A collective vote cast by coaches around the league will decide which A-League head coach is named as the best of the 2020/21 campaign at the virtual awards night taking place from 7.30pm (AEST) on Wednesday night.” - Dolan Warren Awards

marinermick

I honestly can’t see them looking beyond Kisnorbo, especially if he succeeds in spoiling the Smurfs’ threepeat on Saturday.

Hell, I would even vote for him if he manages to wipe that smug entitled grin off Corica’s face. :thumbup:

Corica is not even nominated- it is Kisnorbo, Staj and Moon.

I don’t think a coach that won four of his last sixteen games is worthy of the title.

Meanwhile Kisnorbo turned his team around from mid table to being almost unbeatable. He solved a number of football problems without adding to his squad.

Last edited:

turbo

Corica is t even nominated- it is Kisnorbo, Staj and Moon.

I don’t think a coach that won four of his last sixteen games is worthy of the title.

Meanwhile Kisnorbo turned his team around from mid table to being almost unbeatable. He solved a number of football problems without adding to his squad.
Corica’s biggest challenge this season was overcoming the loss of his star striker which had them drop down the ladder. To resolve that issue he recruited a former record goal scorer and the very player they lost causing the challenge. I don’t think that comes close to what PK or Staj did with their respective squads.

Avoca

Dolan Warren awards:

Although Staj is sadly leaving us, a potential win by our former manager is still a proud victory for our small club. It’s also great news for the Mariner’s brand. Plus, it acknowledges the wider achievements of the support staff, that have made this season the best in a long time.

We are the community club after all.

Last edited:

marinermick

Corica’s biggest challenge this season was overcoming the loss of his star striker which had them drop down the ladder. To resolve that issue he recruited a former record goal scorer and the very player they lost causing the challenge. I don’t think that comes close to what PK or Staj did with their respective squads.

Sounds like good coaching to me. Getting to three consecutive grand finals is no mean feat regardless of resources.

Robinson, Rudan and Milicic all had the resources of Kisnorbo and Corica but didn’t achieve what they did.

But at the end of the day this award is just a popularity vote like the Logies. It is subjective and based on opinion just like the debate here.

Big Al

PK for me to. Sure he had the best squad for the majority of the season they we’re also playing the best football by a mile. They were way better than anybody else. It’s not there fault they are rich but unlike SFC they also play Aussie youth in important roles.

Staj was the best for the first half of the season but tanked late and going out in round 1 of the finals wasn’t good enough.

PK just over Staj.

Moon was good but not better than either of PK and Staj

turbo

Sounds like good coaching to me. Getting to three consecutive grand finals is no mean feat regardless of resources.
I can’t shake the feeling like he was handed the keys to a Ferrari, changed the oil a few times but that’s about it. You don’t fix what isn’t broken but it leaves question marks over just how good he could be.

You are completely right about Robinson, Rudan etc money doesn’t guarantee success but they are trying to do something different in building up a mid table team. I’d put Corica over them but still think the turnaround Staj pulled off and Kisnorbo helping City find another level (despite the rocky start) are more impressive. I’m disappointed we couldn’t see City play ACL this year because I think they would have brought something different to recent iterations.

marinermick

I can’t shake the feeling like he was handed the keys to a Ferrari, changed the oil a few times but that’s about it. You don’t fix what isn’t broken but it leaves question marks over just how good he could be.

You are completely right about Robinson, Rudan etc money doesn’t guarantee success but they are trying to do something different in building up a mid table team. I’d put Corica over them but still think the turnaround Staj pulled off and Kisnorbo helping City find another level (despite the rocky start) are more impressive. I’m disappointed we couldn’t see City play ACL this year because I think they would have brought something different to recent iterations.

I get what you are saying but remember that Ferrari has been sitting in the City garage for many years and no one was successful enough in getting it over a hundred clicks.

There was obvious cultural issues at the club and the weight of expectation and scrutiny must have been too much for many, and especially so for Kisnorbo in his slow start to the season.

Yes he had Maclaren but no coach ever got him to twenty-six goals. Yes he had Noone but Noone has not been exceptional the last couple of seasons. Yes he had Good but Good’s career was floundering. He turned Tillio from a bench player at Sydney to a superstar. He turned Kolakovski from a two bit player into a dynamic attacker. Heck he has even made Glover into one of the best keepers in the league. Kisnorbo hasn’t had things easily and as was pointed out City was hands down the best footballing team in the comp and improved as the season went on.

Ironbark

I get what you are saying but remember that Ferrari has been sitting in the City garage for many years and no one was successful enough in getting it over a hundred clicks.

There was obvious cultural issues at the club and the weight of expectation and scrutiny must have been too much for many, and especially so for Kisnorbo in his slow start to the season.

Yes he had Maclaren but no coach ever got him to twenty-six goals. Yes he had Noone but Noone has not been exceptional the last couple of seasons. Yes he had Good but Good’s career was floundering. He turned Tillio from a bench player at Sydney to a superstar. He turned Kolakovski from a two bit player into a dynamic attacker. Heck he has even made Glover into one of the best keepers in the league. Kisnorbo hasn’t had things easily and as was pointed out City was hands down the best footballing team in the comp and improved as the season went on.
I think turbo was talking about Corica rather than Kisnorbo

turbo

I think turbo was talking about Corica rather than Kisnorbo
I was but I think Mick and I are on the same page. City for a long time have had the parts sitting in the garage but haven't been able to make the car run quite right until this season under PK (although some of the hard work was done last season). Corica was handed a well oiled machine he's just had to change the oil on and not crash.

Insertnamehere

I was but I think Mick and I are on the same page. City for a long time have had the parts sitting in the garage but haven't been able to make the car run quite right until this season under PK (although some of the hard work was done last season). Corica was handed a well oiled machine he's just had to change the oil on and not crash.
Corica was about to go to shit without bobo and Alf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami