• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Season Predictions (and the how comes and why fors if you want)

Forum Phoenix

Agree PJ, this is the real make or break time.

We're young and under resourced, but even so there's no denying that we've been unlucky with refereeing calls, injuries, and have needlessly thrown whole games in one stupid moment... I think it's rational to say our points aren't the fairest reflection - but we need to cut the mistakes and go up another gear. And I think we can...

Izzo is a great example of how much potential improvement there is in this squad. Trent and Pain, Berry and Rose, Roux and Galloway, Ascroft, McGing, they all have the right trajectory - as in definitely getting better - and as far as Okon and our structure goes... Fitness and number of HAL games aside, only right about now is he approaching where a proper pre season should have put him and the players in terms of understanding etc.

Given our squad, and our unforced errors, I think we clearly have the highest margin for improvement through this back half. We've more than glimpsed the potential, if we can make it consistent we'll have a few good wins in this back half of the season.

I hope the players are feeling the self confidence and determination to have a really good dig from here.

FFC Mariner

I dont know how accurate they are but there are plenty of anecdotes about how low key pre season under Fraudsley was.

Sometimes. we string together a few quick passes with proper movement and its like watching a little Ange Brisbane for a minute or 2. We don't have the legs or the quality to play that way for longer and it will be interesting to see what fit players can do after a full preseason. We did it 3 times on Saturday, scored twice and earned a pelanty.

Tired players also make mistakes

Forum Phoenix

I dont know how accurate they are but there are plenty of anecdotes about how low key pre season under Fraudsley was.

Sometimes. we string together a few quick passes with proper movement and its like watching a little Ange Brisbane for a minute or 2. We don't have the legs or the quality to play that way for longer and it will be interesting to see what fit players can do after a full preseason. We did it 3 times on Saturday, scored twice and earned a pelanty.

Tired players also make mistakes

Yeah agree entirely. It's hard to take at times because you can see we're either bogged down or playing ourselves needlessly into trouble, and you can feel the turn over is only moments from coming... so you just want them to play direct. but then there is solid flashes of Brisbane style possession in attack aswell. Though it's usually when teams tire or sit back or we have nothing to lose and start playing with that extra bit of audacity that's required to cut through.

On walmsley, yep, I gave him huge benefit of the doubt because I thought our squad was such a shambles, but had a long conversation with a player who confirmed the coaching was a shambles and the training intensity was very poor.

Fishsdad

Have just watched us being dominated by Wellington for the third game this season. We will finish stone motherless last, and on that performance it is precisely where we belong.

Perhaps when the smoke stops coming out of my ears I'll reconsider, but after watching that unmitigated crap...

pjennings

Have just watched us being dominated by Wellington for the third game this season. We will finish stone motherless last, and on that performance it is precisely where we belong.

Perhaps when the smoke stops coming out of my ears I'll reconsider, but after watching that unmitigated crap...

The only reason I don't agree is that by the end of January I think we will be starting with only 5 of that line-up.

VicMariner

I see four shifting out of that starting line up Roy... Berry, Kubi, Rose, Fab... who is the fifth?
.....I'd like to see what Roy could do with some decent service....
The guy is no mug.

But yeah, I would ditch Kubi. Never rated him.
Ferreira - Were is his form? He is capable of much better.
Rose and Berry? Too early for me to call.

pjennings

I see four shifting out of that starting line up Roy... Berry, Kubi, Rose, Fab... who is the fifth?

I actually said 5 starting so 6 out.

Gk - Izzo
back four of Ascroft, Posco Faty Galloway (move Posco to RB if we get a first choice CB) Roux, McGing Rose out
middle 3 Tavares, Monty Powell (replace Powell with Argentine whizkid if he is a whizkid) Berry and Fabio out
front 3 Trent Roy Pain - Appiah out

As I said in another thread - these 6 are good backups but shouldn't all be in a starting XI. The fact that they are shows the thinness of our squad and the injuries/illnesses we have.

I'd love to see Facundo prove himself, sign and be what we need but I'm not holding my breath, rather living in hope.

Wombat

The only reason I don't agree is that by the end of January I think we will be starting with only 5 of that line-up.

On that performance i'd keep Izzo and Monty.

In reality i'd have Pain and Roy in my 11 as well. If we had two decent CBs i'd think about keeping Galloway at LB. So thats my 5. It does seem unlikely that we will have 6 new starting players.....or 5 because i'd start Trent.

Oh i just saw your post Pat! I understand. I think Paul did very poorly tonight but it did highlight how skinny our squad is.

pjennings

I'm really counting on injuries coming back with Faty, Posco and Tavares, hoping for 2 new signings at CB and CAM (but still starting others if they don't eventuate) and starting Trent. So basically keeping the 5 you said.

JoyfulPenguin

It felt like Paul Okon was desperately trying something new to try and catch Wellington off guard and kick us up a gear. All it did in the end was unsettle the little bit of cohesion we had started to get.

Forum Phoenix

I actually said 5 starting so 6 out.

Gk - Izzo
back four of Ascroft, Posco Faty Galloway (move Posco to RB if we get a first choice CB) Roux, McGing Rose out
middle 3 Tavares, Monty Powell (replace Powell with Argentine whizkid if he is a whizkid) Berry and Fabio out
front 3 Trent Roy Pain - Appiah out

As I said in another thread - these 6 are good backups but shouldn't all be in a starting XI. The fact that they are shows the thinness of our squad and the injuries/illnesses we have.

I'd love to see Facundo prove himself, sign and be what we need but I'm not holding my breath, rather living in hope.

Yeah right, I don't see Storm losing his spot, nor despite the panning he's getting from fans would I be surprised to see Fab continue to find favour with Okon.

FFC Mariner

As a complete guess I'd say that next season our starters would be

Izzo
Galloway CB CB Storm
Rose Monty
Pain AM RM
Striker

Wombat

He will be a star

I dont see it. Good balance and good feet. But zero drive or ticker. Massive underachiever thus far. Berry has looked more likely and he is light years away as well.
I thought Tesco was dreadful the first couple of games when played out of position at RB and was horrified at Maty's first game..................so i've been wrong plenty of times before.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred