• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Scottish Premier League Discussion and poll

Which SPL Team do you support (voting Reset)

• [glow=green,2,300][color=white]Celtic FC[/color][/glow]

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • [glow=blue,2,300][color=red]Rangers FC[/color][/glow]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [glow=orange,2,300]Dundee United[/glow]

• [glow=red,2,300][color=white]Aberdeen FC[/color][/glow]

• [glow=maroon,2,300][color=white]Heart of Midlothian[/color][/glow]

• [glow=green,2,300][color=green]Hibernian FC[/color][/glow]

• [glow=blue,2,300][color=white]Kilmarnock FC[/color][/glow]

• [glow=orange,2,300][color=maroon]Motherwell FC[/color][/glow]

• [glow=red,2,300][color=blue]Inverness CT[/color][/glow]

• [glow=Navy,2,300][color=white]Falkirk FC[/color][/glow]

• [glow=black,2,300][color=white]St Mirren FC[/color][/glow]

• Other i.e. Hamilton Academical, any lower division club

• Total voters

Arabmariner

skilbeck said:
one thing i like about Dundee is this
Tannadice_dens.jpg

its crazy having the two stadiums built on top of one another
I know.Especially when you consider the population of Dundee is less than 200,000.

My old man and my brother were Dundee supporters .  :vomit: I remember when I was about 12 my dad taking me and a mate to see Utd at Tannadice but he refused to go in and went up the road to Dens to watch Dundee reserves play with my brother while we watched the good team!!

Teddy Bear

Arabmariner said:
skilbeck said:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hun dont know if this is getting sectarian but i think celtic fans have been playing with this :p
Probably is but f**k it,s funny!!! :piralaugh:

Agreed. It is very funny. There are even other non-Rangers comments in there worthy of a laugh.

1. A person who does NOT pass the ball in basketball whatever the circumstances may be(double team, triple team, inbounding, 3 on 1 fast break).

2. A person who demands the ball in all facets of the game so that they may shoot it at any time, anywhere.

"Yo pass me the f-cking ball, you're such a hun!!"

"That f**king hun is always calling for the ball."

by William Chan Jan 8, 2004 email it
32. hun  5 up, 29 down 

Something that everyone must say to everyone on completion of Lobotomy when joining Lycos Chat - when you progress to use it in the real world two you've got a very large problem...

Teddy Bear

Arabmariner said:
Just had a look at the poll results.There,s only Teddy Bear,Omni,Lawrie,Fergie and one other sad soap dodger voted for Rangers!! ;D

Is that yourself you are refering to Arab? :headbounce:

Arabmariner

Teddy Bear said:
Arabmariner said:
Just had a look at the poll results.There,s only Teddy Bear,Omni,Lawrie,Fergie and one other sad soap dodger voted for Rangers!! ;D

Not at all Teddy Bear.  :eek: Us arabs are very clean.  :) We,ve also got more than one shoe!  ;)

Teddy Bear

Arabmariner said:
Teddy Bear said:
Arabmariner said:

Not at all Teddy Bear.  :eek: Us arabs are very clean.  :) We,ve also got more than one shoe!  ;)

Socks aren't shoes!!!! :p

Arabmariner

Sporting Lisbon 0 Rangers 1

In time added on.You,re through Teddy Bear and Omni.Well done.  :thumbup:

CORRECTON !!! 0-2

They scored again while I was typing this ! :piano:

Atomic

Are there any (sensible) theories as to why Celtic have so much more support than Rangers (other than things like "they are better" etc)? Does it have something to do with Catholicism and football in Australia? "Persecution" of Catholics in Scotland, hence their willingness to emmigrate? Help me out here.

skilbeck

yeah I wouldnt know. I wouldnt say there are more Catholics on this forum than protestants or more people of Irish descent than English or Scottish descent. There are still more protestants than catholics in Australia, however Its probably not reducible to demographics. I dont think too many Australians think about the religious or political backing of either of the clubs when they choose to support one or another. Though another factor Id like to bring up is that Celtic has more support from protestants than Rangers have from catholics and that might be a critical factor. Sorry for random post that doesnt go anywhere and just sits on the fence but it is essentially my thoughts on the matter

Atomic

I think it's interesting as to why there is such a big discrepency. I have to admit that my love of Celtic is a family thing that was initially based along religious lines. Religion no longer plays any part in our support but it is responsible for the initial interest.

skilbeck

i believe though almost anyone with a vested interest in an Old Firm team chose whatever team based on ethnic, political and religious persuasions. The other factor maybe the players for celtic might be more well known than rangers: i.e. McDonald, Nakamura, Vennegoor of Hesselink and in recent history there has been Beattie, Miller, Lennon, Larsson and Petrov etc. I reckon the McDonald factor would be a big one and when there is a big Aussie player for rangers support might waver back to them.

Arabmariner

Without knowing any accurate figures I would say a far bigger percentage of the population in Australia are catholic than in Scotland.

There is a big catholic population in Glasgow and the west of Scotland but in the east where I came from it,s not nearly so big.In fact before I came to Australia when I was 28 I probably only knew about 3 catholics.Out here most of my friends,workmates etc are catholics.My kids even go to a catholic school,something I wouldn,t even have considered in Scotland.

I,m not sure that people born out here or brought up here from a young age can quite grasp the level of hatred between these sets of supporters over there.Theres no doubt it,s a huge derby when they play and the atmosphere is unbelievable but there is always that secterian element to it no matter how much the clubs try to gloss it over.
It,s so well policed in and around the stadium on match days that there,s very little trouble but it,s well away from the stadiums later at night that most of the trouble will occur.

I once took a mate who had an accident to an emergency department of a hospital in Edinburgh at 1am on a Sunday  after an old firm derby the previous day.The place was in uproar with wounded Celtic and Rangers fans kicking the shit out of each other!!We bailed out and fixed up his wounds the next day!!

I know a few Celtic and Rangers fans out here and they still have that rivalry but I think they lose the vicious edge to some extent.You certainly wouldn,t get the friendly banter between the fans that you find on this forum!!

skilbeck

from what i can gather, the rivalry is definitely less intense here than in scotland and northern ireland. australians with little knowledge of the rivalry treat it like a normal sporting rivalry, say like us vs the scum or in GayFL or Drugby league terms, Collingwood v Carlton or St George v Sharks. Most Australians dont know the reason behind it and dismiss it as just cross city rivalry. I had a mate that asked me about the history and he had no idea that so much politics and religion can be behind a sporting rivalry.

also, while i agree with the crawford report in terms of ethnic football hooliganism, its no where near as bad here even when BWE and SU fans were going at it than in some of the old rivalries in europe that represent religious, political, class and ethnic differences i.e. Old Firm, Real Madrid v Barcelona, Red Star Belgrade v dinamo zagreb. Australians are shocked to see that these often violent rivalries exist because they havent lived with conflict and dont understand that some football rivalries can be the effect of or coincide with war and ethnic hatred in other parts of the world. while i have australian values of not letting rivalries become anything less than friendly, i believe a lot of the general public (excluding some but not all of the footballing population) have a poor grasp on what sporting rivalry may mean to some people in other places of the world

i can wear my celtic shirt anywhere in Australia where as if i was in Glasgow or Belfast i would have second thoughts about wearing it.

Arabmariner

The protestant- catholic formation of football clubs wasn,t all that unusual in Scotland at one time.Hearts - Hibs in Edinburgh and Dundee - Dundee Hibernian(later became Dundee United).I know in Dundee religion has nothing to do with who any one supports.In fact it,s common for familys to be split in their support.But United were originaly formed by the catholic immigrant population.
Don,t know so much about the Edinburgh one.It,s still religious based to a certain extent but it,s not nearly as vicious as the old firm rivalry.
I think Liverpool - Everton may have originally formed along those lines aswell.Some of you pommys out there may be able to enlighten me on that one!

skilbeck

Arabmariner said:
The protestant- catholic formation of football clubs wasn,t all that unusual in Scotland at one time.Hearts - Hibs in Edinburgh and Dundee - Dundee Hibernian(later became Dundee United).I know in Dundee religion has nothing to do with who any one supports.In fact it,s common for familys to be split in their support.But United were originaly formed by the catholic immigrant population.
Don,t know so much about the Edinburgh one.It,s still religious based to a certain extent but it,s not nearly as vicious as the old firm rivalry.
I think Liverpool - Everton may have originally formed along those lines aswell.Some of you pommys out there may be able to enlighten me on that one!

i dont know so much about the edinburgh one as well but i think support is less along sectarian lines and that its more about the part of edinburgh that each team are from

Arabmariner

skilbeck said:
also when DUFC were Dundee Hibernian did they ever wear green?
Yes they did.Formed in 1909 and colours were green shirts,white shorts and green socks until Aug 1923 when they changed colours to black and white.Two months later they became Dundee United.
They changed to the present day colours of tangerine and black in 1969.

Teddy Bear

When I grew up in Glasgow the hatred towards catholics was drummed into you at school and I guess vice versa if you went to a catholic school. Makes me so glad to be in Australia and get away from all that hatred crap. I can remember two brothers at school who supported celtic. Not sure if they were catholic but one day they decided to turn up in their celtic shirts and of course got the absolute shit beaten out of them. Needless to say they never returned.

It was expected at school that you suppported Rangers in Scotland, Liverpool in England and Linfield in Northern Ireland. I don't particularly care anymore about Liverpool or Linfield but those lads in blue this morning sure made me proud. Great goal by Darcheville from a fantastic cross by Davis and the icing on the cake with a brilliant individual solo goal from the full back.

Every game the so called experts write us off but we will just Follow Follow.

We are the People
We are the People
We are the People
We are the People
We are the People
We are the People

Omni

Arabmariner said:
Sporting Lisbon 0 Rangers 1

In time added on.You,re through Teddy Bear and Omni.Well done.  :thumbup:

CORRECTON !!! 0-2

They scored again while I was typing this ! :piano:

Dibo: Ron Paul better get ready for his Inaguration ;)

hey arab, this may be ignorant but whatever, what's the reasons for people in Dundee supporting one team over the other?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred