• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 7 - CCM v Adelaide @ Gosford

Ozhammer

Five things we learned last night....

1. We are going to continue to struggle to score goals with the way we play when up against a resolute defence. Having one recognised and competent striker in the squad is not going to be enough.

2. High balls pumped forward are never going to be the way to play, when we had no real aerial presence until Bingaz came on. Perhaps it would have been better to have started him and bought Appiah on in the second half.

3. Connor Pain is going to drift in and out of games unless he can find it within himself to take more responsibility for bossing opposition full backs. Hoole also needs to learn to use his team mates rather than holding on to the ball too long. He also needs to stop spinning in circles by growing a left foot too.

4. Golec is a quality CB. He made a number of big challenges last night, whilst doing a decent job of holding together a patched up defence. Arguably our best player on the night. Rosebud also showed that he has the ability to play there by hardly putting a foot wrong all night.

5. JAKE McGing is a far better RB than he is a CM and Storm should realise that he has real competition for that position. It will be interesting to see who plays there when Storm is fit again.

I know it’s technically a sixth point but Okon needs to make his substitutions at more appropriate times and arguably make better decisions about who to take off. In the last few games, he has hooked Pain when Hoole needed to be taken off or vice versa. Tonight, Rowles was cooked with 20 mins to go and Ascroft remained an unused sub. Adelaide’s coach worked that out very quickly and Okon needed to respond, simple as.

No complaints about the result as Adelaide deserved it but I do have an issue with our performance, as it wasn’t good enough even with several first-teamers absent. Anyone bought into the team needs to take a leaf out of McGing’s book and put in the sort of performance that doesn’t allow the coach to drop you next week. That’s called competition for places I believe.

Timmah

The team as a whole was a f**king embarrassment tonight though. Every ball was taken sideways and back and movement was sorely lacking.
I understand post-fulltime frustration but this characterisation is so far off it isn't funny.

Our standard certainly dropped in the second half and I can understand coming off a much higher level of quality than we've newly become used to is frustrating, but I thought we had an outstanding first half last night and the second half was more like a 'good day' in years gone by.

Like our loss a few weeks ago to Perth I think it's just evident our depth is lacking, we lost a few key senior players and struggled as a result when we needed to blood younger guys

Gratis

Even after Adelaide scored their first - which was a long shot of a goal not a blemish on our play - I still thought we were comfortable to win it. First half we were very good.
Whilst not bossing it as well as we did against Syd I thought we were owning them and it was just a matter of time. As usual had we put away more of the chances we created it'd be a different ending. After their goal and as the 2nd half progressed we lost control/stamina/speed/accuracy and Adelaide competed more and more. We didn't deserve the win in the end, but still felt overall a draw was fair.

But the nail on the head call so far has been our lack of depth showing through. Appiah and Rose are our best off the bench but are arguably not up to the starting 11 quality - (it's hard to compete with the likes of Hoole, Brama, Hiariej, De Silva etc.). We were 3 of the starting 11 down, couldn't replace them with full equivalent players, then off the bench meant by the end of the game we had like 5-6 players that might have been last years squad...which is not in the same league let's be honest.
Depth will continue to be our issue this season.

Bring on next week! Still confident the wins will keep coming.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Firstly, who were those blokes in the second half in our shirts, they weren’t the bloke who whooped smurf, of that I’m certain
Mind you the first half was only about 70% decent anyway
Never EVER start kwabbi again, and bingaz shouldn’t get a run period ...I guess that leaves Blake Powell
Tommy was weighed down with the armband, he was almost invisible, and as for Hooley, DDS and Painy.....JUST FKN SHOOT.. Golec and Rowles done a fairly good job but only just
....Now, The ref...what fkn game was he reffing ? He was that far behind the play. Decision wise, you would think the VAR was telling him when to hand out freebies...and how the f**k did he get 3 minutes extra time in the first half, there was no hold up in play.....What a difference a week makes hey

Luca Brasi

The most disappointing thing for me about the loss was that it happened in the 94th minute, I thought we were going to hang on for a heroic point.
Losing 3 of your first team defenders, including one in the warm up is always going to disrupt the performance. L Rose and Rowles had about 10 minutes game time this season between them.
As many have pointed out depth is the issue, I don't think Okon had much in terms of options off the bench hence the delay.
From what I have seen from Ascroft at L/R back in the past I wouldn't have put him on either.
I probably would have put Buhagier on earlier but he doesn't do his cause much good from a lack of effort when he does get on.
Appiah is a winger not a #9 but he is still a better option than Bingham. Bingham struggled to win ball in the air against Warland, he would have been no hope against Gullum.
A tired Tom and Wout are still better options than Berry at that stage of the game.
I thought we had the better of the first half and played well in possession. Adelaide sat back and compressed the midfield to frustrate us.
In the 2nd half they pressed hard and high, played long and won the seconds against a tiring midfield/defence. We lost our composure as a result of the press and cleared long which suited their game plan and aerial dominance.
You could see that winner coming for 20 minutes, it was not good football from Adelaide but it was effective. They missed 3 absolute sitters during the game and we were lucky not to have lost it earlier.

Wombat

They missed 3 absolute sitters during the game and we were lucky not to have lost it earlier.

One hundred percent.

We had more possession but did nothing with it. Pointless possession because we had little movement off the ball so we just went backwards as a safe option.
Their keeper could have had a sit down picnic the amount of shots we had.

Yoda

I haven't seen the game stats, but I don't recall Izzo making one save. Other than the penalty, was there a shot on target? Conversely, Kennedy made a number of outstanding saves and Adelaide butchered a big chance in the first half culminating in the ball cannoning off our cross bar when a goal beckoned.

Big Al

A League app says

Shots off target AU 10 - 4 CCM
Shots on Target AU 9 - 1 CCM
Shots woodwork AU 1 - 0 CCM

Big Al

A League app says

Just watched replay and fox had 14-2 shots to AU in 2nd half only at the 90th minute and on the corner they scored they had at least 1 shot but I’d say two as first was blocked before the up and under that they scored off. Pretty dominating where it counts from AU.

Big Al

Ned actually said something useful.
AU was double teaming Pain every chance they could but not bothering on the otherside because Hoole plays in alot further and McGing doesn’t get far enough forward and isn’t a threat when he does.
Expect that tactic to be copied.

Wombat

A League app says

Thats pretty f**king conclusive hey Timmah!! Can you explain 1 shot on target in 90 mins of Football is anything but SUB-Warmsley?.......against a piss poor team who were on a big losing streak?
I like to see you or Dibo paint that in a good light??

Last edited:

TedShot

Was just about to say the same big al. This game was so important for our season, I know it is only early days and all. But we had a great opportunity to string a few together with Sydney, Adelaide, Phoenix, and Perth before getting into some of the traditionally better teams again.

midfielder

I pray this was a one off .... and that the SFC match will be the norm... worst we have played all season...

Timmy has got the shits at MC ... come on Paul offer him game time....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred