• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 4 - CCM v Victory @ Gosford (Pink Day)

Wombat

I've played alot of football and yes I did see it. It wasn't a penalty. The meh is more like hey guess what it didn't happen

It was really dumb Football. The sort of shit a striker does when they defend in the box. I expect more smarts from my DM.

Ozhammer

There were a lot of people around me moaning whenever the ball was passed backwards, they were also screaming "shoot" every time we got near the goals.

I found it frustrating that they do not understand the game we are now playing which is based on possession and probing for gaps. There is no point in going forward if there is not an open option, it is better to recycle through the back and to be patient and create the opportunities.

Likewise with shooting with no opening. Melbourne's defence was well organised and they sat back. There is no point in kicking it straight at a defender. If you remember Paine had to take about three touches across the box before he got the opening to shoot.

Appia took the right option in going round the keeper who was a long way out. It was his touch round the keeper that was too heavy, that stuffed things up. His other option was a chip, but that takes a lot of skill.

A very tactical game that I found enjoyable to watch.

Maybe those around me who were getting frustrated have been brought up watching too many kids' games and never watched Roar at their peak.

I think folk's frustration is that with some of our players, their first instinct is to go backwards with the ball, even when we are in good field position with attacking options available.

I also worry that too often we are looking for the perfect pass or set up play in the front third, when someone really needs to roll the dice and go direct, just as Connor did for his goal.

There is a time and place for both recycling the ball and taking a risk, it's more about picking the right option more often than not.

style_cafe

I totally enjoyed the game (although it does get frustrating seeing us going from 20m out all the way back to Glover).
However, the whole team seemed to lift for this one with no obvious weak links this week.
A big shout out to Ivan for his work getting the boys focused.
He really drives them during the warm ups & gets them into the right frame of mind.
In saying that, I thought Golec was huge for us in defence & we lost nothing when McGing replaced Stormy.
The big difference though is having Hoole on the park. I think he is a tremendous talent.
It was also good to see a change in the tactics with Glover mixing up his distribution & causing a few headaches with his long accurate kicks.
Also the use of Appiah in the more central position caught Victory off guard.

I also quite like Asdrubal. He works hard off the ball, tracks back & defends when needed & has a bit of mongrel in him.
I`d like to see him & DDS switch periodically during the games though, as DDS is better at holding the ball up or laying off a pass for Asdrubal to have a shot. Although as I`ve said before, it`s still early days & our players are still getting to know each other.

Big Al

With our small front line we are scared to throw in a speculative ball. So back it goes.

My wife whinges everytime. I try to tell her but she doesn’t care why. On Sunday she asked can you tell me why they do that actually interested. I think it’s that natural reaction of the goals are that way and we need to score to win.
I think the opposition has a lot to do with this. Victory pressure was good in the first half and dropped deeper as we got on top in the second and there for the recycling was still in our attacking half and as they tired passing lanes opened up.

Glover did mix up the passes as noted above which is good to see it doesn’t have to be from the back every time but there was ine of thise back to keepers and he belted it forward and we lost it and it was why did we go back.

Big Al

Asdrubal got stuck in and won quite a few balls or caused kaos when someone of his size should of been no hope.

He has great ball control but does hold it to long sometimes.

However he is not getting any attacking balls from our mids or wings and this will be a big problem for his effectiveness unless we can find a way to use him more effectively

JoyfulPenguin

Adelaide vs Melbourne City got 75,000
Newcastle vs Western Sydney got 65,000
Sydney FC vs Perth got 56,000
Wellington vs Brisbane got 46,000

ballantyne

I take issue with the opinion, aired on here and at the game, that we deserved to this. We didn't. You miss open goals you deserve nothing.
We did some good stuff, and conceded half as many goals as the season so far would have predicted. I particularly enjoyed us going over the top of the high line they took after nearly scoring in the first minute. That was good game sense.
I too am liking Asdrúbal's work rate. It is a little frustrating to see an empty box when we go down the wing though. He's little, as are all the frontmen bar Hoole, so it's going to be interesting to see how that develops through the season. I guess the wide players are going to have to attack the touch line and cut back?
This game show we've got a mid-table finish in us and that's a good feeling.

Fishsdad

Wot? o_O We out rated both SFC and WSW?

Clearly many MV supporters tuned into Foxtel to watch, whereas many of the potential TV audience for SFC and WSW actually went to those matches. The viewing figures for Phoenix vs Roar would be quite a concern for the FFA...

Forum Phoenix

I take issue with the opinion, aired on here and at the game, that we deserved to this. We didn't. You miss open goals you deserve nothing.
We did some good stuff, and conceded half as many goals as the season so far would have predicted. I particularly enjoyed us going over the top of the high line they took after nearly scoring in the first minute. That was good game sense.
I too am liking Asdrúbal's work rate. It is a little frustrating to see an empty box when we go down the wing though. He's little, as are all the frontmen bar Hoole, so it's going to be interesting to see how that develops through the season. I guess the wide players are going to have to attack the touch line and cut back?
This game show we've got a mid-table finish in us and that's a good feeling.

Come on Ballantyne, twice offf the post with shots that literally had less than inch in them is not the same as just missing open goals. And crafting chances often takes multiple players and great play - it’s not just the guy who misses at the end.

Besides, it’s normal to watch a game and take into account who was dominant overall and from that who deserved to win. We created more chances and played much better football on balance, off the post twice with multiple other chances created and a lot of I think genuinely brilliant interplay.

Their only real highlight was that they scored one cracking free kick.

We ‘deserved’ to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred