• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 3 - Perth v CCM @ nib

jpmariner

While I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph I do think Paolo needs to make a statement that there are consequences to not doing your job. McGing, and Golec were poor defensively against the Jets. Storm Boy got caught again not lining up correctly in the backline. Baro I'm not convinced is the answer as captain. Bingers looks to have gone backwards.

For the next game I would like to see what I think are our strongest XI on the pitch.

---------------Glover------------

Hiariej----Baro----Rowles----Rose

-----------Rose----Brama---------

Hoole---------De Silva-------Pain

---------------Asdrubal-----------

Bench: Kennedy, Golec, Appiah-Kubi, Powell, Buhagiar

I preferred Rowles in pre-season to Golec. If fit I would like to start with him. Storm can have a rest for the weekend with Tommy, who has played 40 games at RB in Holland can show him that there is competition for his spot. Liam Rose can partner Brama in the middle. Hoole comes back for Kubi.

Hiariej RB!?
Can't agree. He's our best midfielder since Griffiths at his best.

It's really worrying that in all three games so far, the opposition (varying quality) have simply had to lump a ball over the top to create space and score.
Even typing that sounds like I'm talking about amateur sport!!!

Ancient Mariner

Confirms that Paolo's style is very similar to Ange's at Roar.

Very effective, but to play it you must be the fittest side in the league, or you convert all the chances you make in the first 30 minutes and go 5 up.

Frustrating results so far but hopefully a fascinating journey ahead.

Thanks for the comments so far. I look forward to Wombat's summary and points he seems to be the most relaxed of all here.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
well, we should of been 3-0 after 15 mins but we werent , almost snatched a draw from the jaws of victory but didnt , then we lost ..you gots to love supporting a proffesional soccer team dont you ..bring on next week

Timmah

For me, depth appears to be the issue. We were in control of that game until we had to sub on inferior players. IMO we have a top-four starting XI but that quality becomes diluted when we go to the bench. Gonna cost us throughout the season.

JoyfulPenguin

I missed a chunk of the game as my Foxtel Now feed cut out (from 35th minute to 55th) but here are my thoughts on our players

Tom Glover:
Much improved handling of the ball from him and played the sweeper keeper role terrifically well. Could have done better for Taggart's goal but not much you can do as a goalkeeper in that situation. Needed more of a cool head at times in regards to his distribution and sprayed some relatively simple balls but has improved markedly as the season has gone on.

Storm Roux:
His crossing completion was down from last week but overlapped well with Appiah/Buhagiar, offensively positioned himself well and provided room for both Appiah and Buhagiar to attack Mills. Played some good long balls to on rushing attackers but his lapse in concentration cost us a goal. Was disappointing to see him using cramping to waste time.

Alan Baró:
Was a solid presence at the back and repelled a lot of Perth's short balls while marshaling our defensive line well. The defence needed to drop deeper later in the game and whether this was Paolo or Baro's decision to stay high I am unsure. Maintained possession well and was the calmest on the ball of our back 4.

Antony Golec:
Recycled the ball well and apart from a nervy back pass to Josh Rose that almost resulted in a free shot on goal was very good on the ball. Disappointingly let Keogh get goal side for his goal but had very little support from his left back.

Josh Rose:
Nervy on the ball and showed his age, struggled to get back when our offside trap was broken and was exposed for pace by Harold numerous times. Tended to hack the ball forward more than what was needed.

Wout Brama:
Barely missed a pass today and had his best game in a Mariners shirt so far. Dropped between Baró and Golec well and provide a great link between defence and attack. Took his goal very well with a confident and classy finish.

Tom Hiariej:
Was down on his previous two excellent performances but still did very well. Was let down by Da Silva's positioning and couldn't quite find the defence splitting passes he had found against the Wanderers and Jets. Very nearly assisted the goal of the season and was unlucky not to have an assist on a few occasions. Screened the back four well and worked hard to contain Castro and break down Perth's attacks. His set pieces were very poor, however, and needs to be better.

Daniel De Silva:
Lacked a cutting edge but fed our wingers well. Struggled to link with Asdrubal and his touch was off at times. Couldn't find the space between the lines that he had against the Wanderers and had few touches in the second half. An off day for a talented player.

Kwabena Appiah:
Started the game terrifically well and should have had two assists, if not for poor play from Asdrubal. Worked hard defensively and offensively and Perth had noticeably more attacking thrust after he went off.

Trent Buhagiar:
Got into good positions but his crossing and touch were poor. Often pushed the ball to wide when a closer touch would have allowed an easy cross to Asdrubal, Pain or De Silva. Needed to be more desperate.

Asdrubal:
A poor day at the office for the Spaniard. Should've had at least two goals in the first ten minutes but poor touches and finishing let him down. His positioning was poor and often forced De Silva wide.

Josh Bingham:
Didn't look A-League standard and had his worst game in a Mariners shirt. His touch routinely let him down and wasn't able to make use of good crosses from Pain or Roux. Needs to improve if he wants to keep his bench spot ahead of a returning Blake Powell.

Connor Pain:
Terrific vision to find Brama and was a threat down the left all game. Maintained possession much better than he previously has this season and was a standout. Needed more support from Josh Rose but did well even when sometimes double teamed. Shutdown Castro and worked tremendously hard defensively.

Liam Rose:
Deployed at left wing and didn't look comfortable at all in that position. Took over from Hiariej at set pieces when he came on but was just as wasteful. Worked hard but isn't a left winger.

A good performance and a painful one to lose. We should have been 3-0 up within 10 minutes. Paolo needs a defensive structure once we go ahead, a good example is Huddersfield in the EPL who use possession not only as an offensive tool but a defensive one as well. One errant pass and we lost all faith in our possession game and started to hack it forward. If we are to beat Victory we need to improve defensively.

Gratis

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arti...we-learned-league-round-3?cx_cid=edm:twg:2017
Ode to Okon
Dear Paul Okon, your insistence on having the back four play a high line will continue to cost you. Sincerely, everyone.

After a bright start to the match saw Central Coast take an early lead, the Perth Glory rallied back to claim all three points with a 2-1 win in front of over 12,000 fans at nib Stadium.

The Glory reverted to tactics evident across every local under-12s football team, with angled long balls over the top to Diego Castro, Adam Taggart and Andy Keogh proving the recipe for success in a come-from-behind performance.

While Kenny Lowe’s men struggled to get a grip on the game, they soon took advantage of a Mariners backline, featuring Josh Rose, Alan Baro, Antony Golec and Storm Roux, playing far too high up the pitch.

It wasn’t the first time the Mariners had been exposed. Newcastle found similar joy in their resounding Round 1 win, as did Western Sydney in last weekend’s 2-2 draw.

In truth, Okon’s side don’t deserve to sit second-last on the ladder, but should he refuse to have his defence sit deeper when without possession, the Mariners may stay there.

scottmac

Suspended
They really need to go back to the drawing board with the defence. I understand why they are doing it but we need to be more flexible. Pick and choose when to implement a high line and when to drop back. Leading by 1 coming into the 70th minute on the longest away trip is not the time to continue with such risky football. Drop back 10 - 15m encourage your front men to pressure the ball and have your midfield close off the passing lanes. Then if they do play over the top there's not so much of a gap between keeper and defence to play into. Its got to be an absolute perfect ball and perfect run to catch you out.
It's about game awareness. Once we get that f**king watch out.

Gratis

During half time Fox spoke to Ivan who made it quite clear we were going to continue the high line all game and he said they believed we had the fitness to do it.

By minute 70 it was clear we did not have the juice in the engine for it but stuck with it anyway when it was clear to your average punter it wasn't working

Tevor

During half time Fox spoke to Ivan who made it quite clear we were going to continue the high line all game and he said they believed we had the fitness to do it.

By minute 70 it was clear we did not have the juice in the engine for it but stuck with it anyway when it was clear to your average punter it wasn't working
Yes the commentators also mentioned how the trip to Perth the day before didn't go to plan as well hence the notable drop off of most players at the 70min mark. Considerable delays in the commute to the airport apparently.

scottmac

Suspended
Just watched the game. The first 30 mins was sublime. Asdrubal looked off today. The commute the heat whatever it was he wasnt alone. I thought Hiarjei looked the same. After 30 perth dropped taggert back into midfield without the ball and we struggled to make passes through.
We then tried to play long with limited success but still got a few opportunities.
It's a Great game plan from us. 3rd game in and a very exciting brand of football. Given time we will be better than Arnies mariners team. Maybe still lacking a CB.

Paolo has done a first 11 revamp this year id say in his last year it will be a second 11 revamp and maybe only 1 or 2 first team replacements.

Forum Phoenix

While I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph I do think Paolo needs to make a statement that there are consequences to not doing your job. McGing, and Golec were poor defensively against the Jets. Storm Boy got caught again not lining up correctly in the backline. Baro I'm not convinced is the answer as captain. Bingers looks to have gone backwards.

For the next game I would like to see what I think are our strongest XI on the pitch.

---------------Glover------------

Hiariej----Baro----Rowles----Rose

-----------Rose----Brama---------

Hoole---------De Silva-------Pain

---------------Asdrubal-----------

Bench: Kennedy, Golec, Appiah-Kubi, Powell, Buhagiar

I preferred Rowles in pre-season to Golec. If fit I would like to start with him. Storm can have a rest for the weekend with Tommy, who has played 40 games at RB in Holland can show him that there is competition for his spot. Liam Rose can partner Brama in the middle. Hoole comes back for Kubi.

Yeah, I don't see Storm being dropped or Tom H being moved, but agree about Storm being caught not holding his line - would have been a clear offside otherwise. Regardless I still think our CB's look too slow/flat footed for comfort playing such a high line, but I do like what I've seen of Rowles and his better athleticism might help. But bottom line should have been 2 up and all but done before they even had a chance to get themselves into it - we clearly played enough good football to win it.

A question, do you think Glover should be sweeping higher in these instances? Feels like Matty would have snuffed more than a few goals opportunities these past two weeks.

Last edited:

Wombat

Under severe provocation FP.,,,,,,and it was just an offer for some free training or "attitude adjustment".

jpmariner

Yeah, I don't see Storm being dropped or Tom H being moved, but agree about Storm being caught not holding his line - would have been a clear offside otherwise. Regardless I still think our CB's look too slow/flat footed for comfort playing such a high line, but I do like what I've seen of Rowles and his better athleticism might help. But bottom line should have been 2 up and all but done before they even had a chance to get themselves into it - we clearly played enough good football to win it.

A question, do you think Glover should be sweeping higher in these instances? Feels like Matty would have snuffed more than a few goals opportunities these past two weeks.

Re-Glover not sweeping enough/Matty would've snuffed out more.
Possibly, but then Matty is truly world class in this department and playing in a top European league. I don't think glover is behind the other A-league keepers here.

scottmac

Suspended
Re-Glover not sweeping enough/Matty would've snuffed out more.
Possibly, but then Matty is truly world class in this department and playing in a top European league. I don't think glover is behind the other A-league keepers here.
Matty didn't play in front of such a high line. Ever. Even the Socceroos dont play that high a line.
Glover is doing well. Maybe her will start sweeping a bit further up but you need high levels of confidence to do so. Conceding 2 or more every game doesn't lend confidence to the keeper.

Tevor

Matty didn't play in front of such a high line. Ever. Even the Socceroos dont play that high a line.
Glover is doing well. Maybe her will start sweeping a bit further up but you need high levels of confidence to do so. Conceding 2 or more every game doesn't lend confidence to the keeper.
Double edged sword, if he starts sweeping further up he will become susceptible to good strikers chipping him if we make an error. I've been a little concerned about this in the last three games as he has been quite high however we are a lot better at keeping the ball under pressure compared to last year thanks to players like Wout. I think he is improving with every game and has been let down by some poor defence and also lazy defence with Taggart's goal. He hasn't given any reasons for PO to give BK a go and I hope he keeps improving, you can tell he has had good training and now needs game time which I'm sure he is more than happy with at the moment. His positive attitude should prevent the dip in confidence from conceding 9 goals in 3 games. He has that determined look about him, did laugh towards the end of the Perth game as he is quite a fair skinned fellow and his face was the same colour as his pink kit from the afternoon heat. I hope he is practising slip, slop, slap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred