• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 24 v Sydney FC @ Grahame Park

Wombat

BTW what was with the full on street brawl outside the Gosford Hotel in the middle of Mann Street about 4.30pm?
It was a pretty decent scrap.
I could not work out if was local thugs giving the Sydney boys a hiding or other Sydney fans. One mob had no colours on and they did chant Mariners but they were definately not Mariners fans that i have seen before.
There was ripped shirts, claret and puffy faces on both sides.
Anyone know the score?

Big Al

BTW what was with the full on street brawl outside the Gosford Hotel in the middle of Mann Street about 4.30pm?
It was a pretty decent scrap.
I could not work out if was local thugs giving the Sydney boys a hiding or other Sydney fans. One mob had no colours on and they did chant Mariners but they were definately not Mariners fans that i have seen before.
There was ripped shirts, claret and puffy faces on both sides.
Anyone know the score?
Okon’s gone and everyone is showing fight again.

Otherwise no idea but drove past around then and missed anything

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Question for the referees on the forum. With Sydney's first goal Ninkovic was onside. Bobo was never onside. Did Bobo do enough 'interfering with play' blocking Liam coming across in cover?:
Good pickup on that. I think that yeah, the defender's run was blocked - and that's enough for an offside infringement.

Big Al

We were watching as we stood on the terracing where the bar was. I knew every face there too. As CCM burn off their core, they all gravitate to local football
Agree and can understand why. If Paul hadn’t left I wouldn’t have bothered either but while not an earth shattering performance, there was technical flexibility from the coach and a quite good understanding of it by the players considering the short time to work on it. While it was a random team sheet it was to a plan. Hold on at all costs till half time without loosing the confidence and crowds. Then as they were slowly released forward they got control of the game and started to believe. I saw hand slaps from the boys during the game and real heart breaking disappointment that they were so close to going underfeated against the Champs.

Shame for the crap you have probably watched this year this was probably the best fight in a long time and the crowd responded. However standing at the bar watching CCU sounds pretty enticing as well

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Kennedy got caught out completely flat footed on that goal. Couldn't get to where he needed to be.
Does nobody stay on their toes anymore? Is that not a thing that supposedly professional players are taught?

McGing defended like an absolute amateur too

He's behind Simon, then he actually moves upfield of him. He actually goes from a bad position, into a worse one - if he wanted to get in front of Simon he needed to stay goal side of him. Moving to the non-goal side left Simon wide open.

McGing, for me, is an attacker. His best play is up front. He always looks lost in defence.

And Josh Rose, more amateurish defending. A cross is whipped into the box and what does he do?
Stand there and stare AT the f****** ball as it sails over his head. Doesn't look to see where its going. Doesn't move into a better position. Stops and stares.

Triple threat, our defence was. Simon didn't do anything special to find himself in position. McGing let that goal in, well supported by Rose with a supporting appearance from Kennedy. And I really hope McGing and Rose in particular are hauled over the coals for it.

Those 2 lost us the game.

Last edited:

Wombat

Kennedy really needed to commit on Simon's goal. Had he challenged Simon rather than be indecisive and stand back at the last moment, Simon wouldn't have had that goal.

I dont disagree and McGing as usual was totallu unaware of the player behind him.

I have been scathing of Roux this season but he played quite well tonight.

Gratis

I'm a damn sight happier after that game. Losing that way was harsh but the points don't matter anymore - aside from avoiding the spoon.
The boys got to PLAY and seemed to enjoy it. Which meant so did the fans. I personally enjoyed that second half more than the majority of games in the last few years. It wasn't high quality, but f¥¢k it - there was spirit, enterprise and tenacity.

We need a coach to set some plans (A, B and C please) and to - imagine this - develop players. We also need to add more team depth - but with a full squad we DO have enough to compete, to fight, to win. To certainly win more than half the games we play in.
The club made the hard decision to cut the brakes (aka Okon/Jolic). With a reasonable coach and a couple more key signings and the future looks better than it has for some time.

All that from a strange, oft-times unconvincing 2-1 loss, eh?

Insertnamehere

For a first game under a new coach with four days of training I'd say it's a pass. I'd rather see what we did in the 2nd half than what we did in the 1st though.
The Roos set the bar low after Saturday mornings put in.

AuzDutchy

Kennedy got caught out completely flat footed on that goal. Couldn't get to where he needed to be.
Does nobody stay on their toes anymore? Is that not a thing that supposedly professional players are taught?

McGing defended like an absolute amateur too

He's behind Simon, then he actually moves upfield of him. He actually goes from a bad position, into a worse one - if he wanted to get in front of Simon he needed to stay goal side of him. Moving to the non-goal side left Simon wide open.

McGing, for me, is an attacker. His best play is up front. He always looks lost in defence.

And Josh Rose, more amateurish defending. A cross is whipped into the box and what does he do?
Stand there and stare AT the f****** ball as it sails over his head. Doesn't look to see where its going. Doesn't move into a better position. Stops and stares.

Triple threat, our defence was. Simon didn't do anything special to find himself in position. McGing let that goal in, well supported by Rose with a supporting appearance from Kennedy. And I really hope McGing and Rose in particular are hauled over the coals for it.

Those 2 lost us the game.

Storm was playing RB at that point with Mcging playing RM, Storm was all over the shop all game, never knew who to mark. Also why is our RM marking the opposition ST in our box? Where was our 2 CBs? Mcging has been one of the only shining lights in an otherwise dismal year.

Wombat

McGing's early season form was good. His form in the last 6 to 8 weeks has been very poor. Appalling crossing. Poor passing. Ball watching etc

Woollybutt

My highlight of the game was seeing Trent get a run up front in the second half. Formation was difficult to work out with my sleep-deprived eyes, but I felt we had more stability and control in midfield than we have had in a long time. Early in the season I was dreaming of a midfield three with Brama sitting behind Hiariej and Rose. Okon never deviated from the 4-2-3-1, but I do think Rose looks good when played as the link man in a midfield three rather than as an out and out six.

The ten minutes or so between McGing's goal and conceding at the end were brilliant. I haven't felt a sense of hope like that in a long, long time. The atmosphere changed and for once it was possible to remember what it was like in that season one second leg against Newcastle or the 3-3 down in Sydney. We may never get back to those crowd numbers but it's amazing what hope can do for even the most jaded and cynical diehards. Even after conceding I didn't get that empty feeling that's stalked me after so many draws and losses in the Moss-Walmsley-Okon years. There's still a few games left for my optimism to be shattered again, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

That said, I'm glad I drove up for this one. There's no way I would have wanted to get on the train with Sydney fans after the way the match ended.

Woollybutt

Did anyone have thoughts on the three or four penalty shouts? I haven't seen replays but live I thought the Pain one and the one just before McGing's goal were good shouts.

Big Al

Did anyone have thoughts on the three or four penalty shouts? I haven't seen replays but live I thought the Pain one and the one just before McGing's goal were good shouts.
The pain one the SFC defender got the ball. Looked dead set certainty live.
Not sure what the other was, the handball?

Big Al

McGing was caught out right from the cross but Kennedy had no idea what he was doing and somehow goes under the ball. Standard Mariners defense

Woollybutt

The pain one the SFC defender got the ball. Looked dead set certainty live.
Not sure what the other was, the handball?
Thanks. I was convinced on the Pain one live! There was a handball shout before we scored that went up to the VAR. It looked like a good shout live, and then I was worried they were going to call it back for a penalty a second before McGing put it in the net. There was one up the far end in the first half that I couldn't see, but others around me with equally bad views were convinced it was a penalty. I can't remember much about it now, so it probably wasn't anything.

Woollybutt

Simon's goal sure looks worse on replay. I put it down to the deflection live, but I underestimated how bad both Kennedy and McGing's position was. Hard to tell if Kennedy was hampered from getting flattened by Matty a few minutes earlier, or if it's just his usual cumbersome movement. He's a decent keeper, but ten years of injuries seems to make him move like Marcel Seip.

Big Al

Simon's goal sure looks worse on replay. I put it down to the deflection live, but I underestimated how bad both Kennedy and McGing's position was. Hard to tell if Kennedy was hampered from getting flattened by Matty a few minutes earlier, or if it's just his usual cumbersome movement. He's a decent keeper, but ten years of injuries seems to make him move like Marcel Seip.
Kennedy moves like the security guard

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Storm was playing RB at that point with Mcging playing RM, Storm was all over the shop all game, never knew who to mark. Also why is our RM marking the opposition ST in our box? Where was our 2 CBs? Mcging has been one of the only shining lights in an otherwise dismal year.
Ah was he? Didn't realise that.
I agree that McGing has been positive. I like him as a midfielder, not in the back line.

I only saw one, the 'trip' from behind. The defender did actually get the ball - that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a foul, but he really did use as little force as possible and it was much our bloke turning into him as it was anything else, so nothing wrong there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred