• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 21 - CCM v Nix at Gosford (Friday night)

Scotty

Given the players that are coming back in, it’s going to be interesting to see what the formation will be, especially who starts up front.

I’d like to see Skapetis and Trent start in a 4-4-2 formation. Let’s throw everything at the Nix. Bring Powel on late. Bench Roux.

Skapetis has been wasted coming on late, because we’ve been either too tired, behind on the scoreboard, lacking confidence, lost interest or all of the above. He’s had little service and very few touches. We’ve signed him as a striker right? Let’s use him.

JoyfulPenguin

Given the players that are coming back in, it’s going to be interesting to see what the formation will be, especially who starts up front.

I’d like to see Skapetis and Trent start in a 4-4-2 formation. Let’s throw everything at the Nix. Bring Powel on late. Bench Roux.

Skapetis has been wasted coming on late, because we’ve been either too tired, behind on the scoreboard, lacking confidence, lost interest or all of the above. He’s had little service and very few touches. We’ve signed him as a striker right? Let’s use him.
I don't think we're capable of 4-4-2 as shown by the first half of the Wanderers match. I definitely agree Skapetis should be starting, Powell has been given his courtesy run as the incumbent, but Skapetis has been playing far better with much less opportunity.

Ozhammer

I don't think we're capable of 4-4-2 as shown by the first half of the Wanderers match. I definitely agree Skapetis should be starting, Powell has been given his courtesy run as the incumbent, but Skapetis has been playing far better with much less opportunity.
That 4-4-2 was supposed to be with a diamond, which is completely unsuited to our roster and effectively looked like a 4-3-3 on the night but either way it handed the advantage to WSW for the first 30 minutes of that game until he changed back to 4-2-3-1 after which we were at least able to compete

MagpieMariner

Agree. But upfront. Not the wing right?

Also as those Nix highlights show and our most recent match. TBT should be considered as a genuine striking option. Unlike Kubi and others, he doesn't just know how to run, he actually makes good well timed runs on breaks (because he knows and trusts his speed so he's not panicked about getting past the last man like some) and he creates scoring opportunities and can score goals.

Said a long time ago that kind of speed up top with someone who can finish even somewhat consistently unlike Kubi, will get you a reasonable percentage of goals. (Seem to remember getting a spray from someone for making this comment though it's just a fact). Saw TBT do it in yoof many times and I think GRA you mentioned to me about his history upfront at school was it his early years as well?

I know TBT can't hold it up, but for a team whose had a serious striker issue for so long, think it's a crying shame we haven't given him a go up there. Again its because that doesn't fit how Okon wanted to play though - but we need a Berisha or a Fornaroli for his way.

Also one of other main issues is that neither Adsrubal or Powell have ben able to keep up with our wingers which without a clear option definitely always effects the decision making of the winger with their final ball.

Can't keep up on the break. Can't skin a set defence. Can't shoot from outside the box. About all that's left is poaching and heading...

Hoping Skapetis is the goods. But now Pain is back, I'd like see us use TBT up front as well.
Skapetis up front of course. He's a f@#$n striker isn't he? Why you would play a bloke you bought as a striker anywhere else defeats me.

Forum Phoenix

Skapetis up front of course. He's a f@#$n striker isn't he? Why you would play a bloke you bought as a striker anywhere else defeats me.

Haha yeah agree.

In the last decade playing strikers on the wing has become all the rage though.

It works sometimes, but even at the highest level you see it really not work for player or coach a lot. I think 433 (in all its variants) with the modern wingback has a lot to do with it. Especially when actual wingers are being converted to wing backs.

But the thing is sure there’s overlap in some skills, but it’s still a very different role with different primary requirements and obviously a different primary skill. And if you’ve been focusing on one role since you were a youngster, you may be able to do a decent version of the other, but do it as well?

We wrecked Dukes chance of having a career as a striker imo. Juric was no better than him early on. Bingham, if he’d had half a dozen games in a row up front and scored 3. Probably would have a very different career trajectory on his hands. Trent...I’m not sure Trent will ever be a great winger. But I do think maybe he could be a great striker.

Imagine we’d stuck Matty simons on the wing after failing to score in his first season. Would have disappeared from the Hal a year later.

So yeah, Skapetis up front where he plays and hopefully proves he belongs.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Apologies @Timmah
Ins: 4.Goran PARACKI (returns from injury) 13.Marco ROSSI (promoted), 24.Logan ROGERSON (promoted)

Outs: 26.Liberato CACACE (omitted)

Unavailable: 2.Daniel MULLEN (knee – end of season)

Timmah

Apologies @Timmah
Ins: 4.Goran PARACKI (returns from injury) 13.Marco ROSSI (promoted), 24.Logan ROGERSON (promoted)

Outs: 26.Liberato CACACE (omitted)

Unavailable: 2.Daniel MULLEN (knee – end of season)
I'm extremely offended and will challenge you for the leadership of the parliamentary CCMfans party (real talk I didn't notice your post until after I'd posted mine LOL)

Insertnamehere

Haha yeah agree.

In the last decade playing strikers on the wing has become all the rage though.

It works sometimes, but even at the highest level you see it really not work for player or coach a lot. I think 433 (in all its variants) with the modern wingback has a lot to do with it. Especially when actual wingers are being converted to wing backs.

But the thing is sure there’s overlap in some skills, but it’s still a very different role with different primary requirements and obviously a different primary skill. And if you’ve been focusing on one thing since you were youngster, you may be able to do a decent version of the other, but do it as well?

We wrecked Dukes chance of having a career as a striker imo. Juric was no better than him early on. Bingham, if he’d had half a dozen games in a row up front and scored 3. Probably would have a very different career trajectory on his hands. Trent...I’m not sure Trent will ever be a great winger. But I do think maybe he could be a great striker.

Imagine we’d stuck Matty simons on the wing after failing to score in his first season. Would have disappeared from the Hal a year later.

So yeah, Skapetis up front where he plays and hopefully proves he belongs.
I think the intention has been to play them as inside forwards(cutting in from wide positions with the ball) but the ability to do that lies with a player is good with the ball at their feet, which local guys generally aren't. So they tend to drift wide and do zip. Maybe the result would be different if they were told to run at the line and interchange position to displace the defence. You know.... Actually play with 3 strikers....

Forum Phoenix

I think the intention has been to play them as inside forwards(cutting in from wide positions with the ball) but the ability to do that lies with a player is good with the ball at their feet, which local guys generally aren't. So they tend to drift wide and do zip. Maybe the result would be different if they were told to run at the line and interchange position to displace the defence. You know.... Actually play with 3 strikers....

Yeah I think you’re right re attack and the theory is definitely 3 forwards. But it’s the defensive responsibilities of mids vs forwards in a 433 is where the real difference lies, because it’s about turn overs and transitions and so letting Trent lurk as a forward would make him much more dangerous on any potential turn over and break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred