• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 20 - Adelaide v CCM @ Coopers

scottmac

Suspended
100%. If we were where we are now but still had the spirit of old I'd still be Mr optimistic
The only reason we had that spirit was hutch. People are carrying on like our club had this mysterious unique ability. It's I bullshit. That spirit was all hutch

Ancient Mariner

The only reason we had that spirit was hutch. People are carrying on like our club had this mysterious unique ability. It's I bullshit. That spirit was all hutch

If there is any one person who is responsible for the club spirit it has to be Lawrie, but it was a group thing.

He brought the nucleus of the team to the Coast from Northern Spirit after he kept them together through the lean times of the final year of the NSL and between that final year and the start of the A league. Lawrie and his wife quite often prepared meals for some of the group because they could not afford food through this period due to not being paid.
He built a trust with these players on the strength of his word and they stuck with him with no other guarantee than his word to form the nucleus of CCM.
The only rat who said he would stick by the group and did not was Milligan, who then had to avoid Fergie for years in fear.

Hutch was part of the group, but it was the group led by Lawrie, that was responsible for the spirit not just one player. Hutch and Kwas were the last remaining of that original group.

The spirit IS a mysterious quality built through adversity and tough times, moulded by teamwork and the dream of a club that was different to the rest and which had to fight every inch of the way.

I think you will only find that spirit still existing among a few remaining rusted on fans and ex players. Maybe it can be refound or something like it developed.

But please do not say it was down to one person alone. Do not sell many others short by attributing it to one person.

Gratis

The only rat who said he would stick by the group and did not was Milligan, who then had to avoid Fergie for years in fear.
Completely agree with your post, Ancient.
Can you fill me in on this bit though...? Appears to be a blank spot in my knowledge

true believer

I just watched an interview with Leeds fresh faced new manger Paul Heckingbottom where Leeds legend Eddie Grey tried to guide him during his interview with Dolly Parton (lol). He was so spot on and focussed and made my heart sing when he talked about players hiding.
Very impressive interview I thought. He's got f**k all pedigree but we poached him from Barnsley so he must have impressed those in the know.
He actually reminded me a bit of Paul in the early days before he became "moss like" in his summations.
I hoping he's no good as qpr have been slowly catching leeds .
Cheers

bikinigirl

Completely agree with your post, Ancient.
Can you fill me in on this bit though...? Appears to be a blank spot in my knowledge

. perhaps i should leave for Ancient to confirm ... but the way i understand it: Milligan agreed to sign with the Mariners but then went on to actually sign with Sydney

Wombat

If there is any one person who is responsible for the club spirit it has to be Lawrie, but it was a group thing.

He brought the nucleus of the team to the Coast from Northern Spirit after he kept them together through the lean times of the final year of the NSL and between that final year and the start of the A league. Lawrie and his wife quite often prepared meals for some of the group because they could not afford food through this period due to not being paid.
He built a trust with these players on the strength of his word and they stuck with him with no other guarantee than his word to form the nucleus of CCM.

Hutch was part of the group, but it was the group led by Lawrie, that was responsible for the spirit not just one player. Hutch and Kwas were the last remaining of that original group.

The spirit IS a mysterious quality built through adversity and tough times, moulded by teamwork and the dream of a club that was different to the rest and which had to fight every inch of the way.

I think you will only find that spirit still existing among a few remaining rusted on fans and ex players. Maybe it can be refound or something like it developed.

But please do not say it was down to one person alone. Do not sell many others short by attributing it to one person.

Yep Matty Simon had it in spades.

Wombat

. perhaps i should leave for Ancient to confirm ... but the way i understand it: Milligan agreed to sign with the Mariners but then went on to actually sign with Sydney

How was Jenny btw BG?......(bit off topic i know) but the girls told me you and hubby dropped in.

Wombat

He's very talented on his day but seems to not be mentally up to professional football.

He is like a bloke i used to play with who ended up with the nickname "Mangina" coz he was a bit of a wuz.

Nichols is a good player but I prefer DDS and something about Nichols makes me want to smack him, i'm not sure why.

MagpieMariner

He is like a bloke i used to play with who ended up with the nickname "Mangina" coz he was a bit of a wuz.

Nichols is a good player but I prefer DDS and something about Nichols makes me want to smack him, i'm not sure why.
I feel the same way about Bridge & Santalab.

Wombat

Santa would smack you back! I know what you mean but. Santalab is a clinical finisher but he is such a dirty grub but he is the highest goal scorer per minutes played the HAL has ever seen......most of them against us lol. Bridge is just an ex scummer.

nebakke

This! Soooo much. I really wanted to like Nichols at Roar - he seemed to have so much promise. But i could never quite get past that certain something that just makes me want to smack him really really hard, and it definitely didn't get any better when he changed to red and black, and I'm generally a very peaceful man, but Nichols just has one of them faces.

EDIT: DYAC

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Re the Mariners spirit discussion: Completely agree on Lawrie's central importance for a long time and obviously there were many vital contributors, from Fergie and Crawley, to Wilko, Clarkey, Gumps, Browny, Matty etc etc... and the truth is you need everyone to buy in and contribute to truly form a really strong culture. But thought it is worth adding given Scottmacs post that in terms of leading within the team culture and driving it... I've personally spoken with multiple players over the years, as well as numerous stakeholders who all attributed the famous dressing room, as well as bringing new players into the fold and off field harmony all to Hutch and Missus Hutch also. Apparently they were always working constantly BTS to solve issues, create events and guide people back on track and help the families of players etc. I'm sure Hutch followed Lawrie's lead and learned many things from him also, but certainly from everything I've heard he was an incredible leader off field. As to on field... well the jest losing their absolute shit style hatred of him has always spoken volumes for mine.

So I can see why Scottmac puts a lot of stock in Hutch, but many others deserve a lot credit as well for sure, especially Lawrie.

bikinigirl

How was Jenny btw BG?......(bit off topic i know) but the girls told me you and hubby dropped in.

. very good apparently but he doesn't give a lot away ... the only reaction she got out of him was due to cold feet. i don't know what the girls said but they got a laugh out of that

Insertnamehere

Family friend coached him at Palm Beach, became a complete fktard when he got his aleague contract so they let him go. The behaviour has continued through his career I understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred