• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2 - WSW v CCM @ Spotless

JoyfulPenguin

Frustrating to draw and go down a man but the performance was great and on any other day we would've come away with a win.

Tom Glover was good though showed he is still a young keeper, saved our blushes on numerous occasions and then struggled to gather a rather simple cross costing us a goal. Has plenty of potential and should develop more, has great positional awareness and played the sweeper keeper role very well.

Storm Roux was very good, provided lots of width and recycled the ball well, could have done better with a few crosses but combined well with Hoole until he was sent off. Was caught a few times upfield and had to race back, more of a problem with Paolo's game plan than Storm's fault though.

Jake McGing didn't have much time to make an impact but was good in the short time he was on the field, moved the ball quickly and won a good throw in off a Wanderer. Still isn't a right back though and it was worrying seeing him come on there.

Alan Baro was composed on the ball and strong off it, lead the defence exceptionally and the amount of times we caught the Wanderers offside demonstrated how well he lead our backline. Broke up the Wanderers most dangerous attacks and was much improved on last week.

Antony Golec looked much more at home this week, and communicated well with his other defenders, Paolo has seemingly drilled into him to play the ball to feet and was an important cog in our possession game.

Josh Rose had an impressive burst through the middle to provide a fantastic pass to Connor Pain and was unlucky not to have a goal assist to his name. Looked slow but positioned himself well and his tackles were nearly always effective. Caught up field once or twice but once again Paolo's game plan more than Josh's fault.

Wout Brama broke up numerous Wanderers attacks and kept the ball speed of our possession game up. Was wasteful with a few chances and was very unlucky with the penalty decision. Was a tireless worker but a bit more is expected from a man with Dutch National team caps.

Tom Hiariej was brilliant today, joined our attack and defence fantastically well and hardly had an errant pass. His passing range is terrific and got us out of some tight jams numerous times.

Dani Da Silva was immense, the missing link in the chain from last season's team has been found and Da Silva deserved his man of the match from Fox. His work rate was fantastic and his touch was a class above everyone else on the pitch. Deserved his goal and his 70 meter run for it demonstrates his hunger to prove himself.

Andrew Hoole had a great game right up until his silly sending off. Seemed not to like Storm overlapping so much but failed to run at defenders and create crossing opportunities. Asdrubal's goal was more his with him forcing a tough save from Janjetovic. Improved markedly in the second half and started to drive more at defenders and connect with Da Silva more. His through ball to Da Silva was all class.

Kwabenna Appiah worked hard but provided a poor cross when free. Needs to improve his crossing or I can't see how he will get a contract next season.

Asdrubal made fantastic runs all night and deserved his tap in. Showed great awarness to tap in Janjetovic's fumble. Could have easily had a few goals had crossing from Pain, Appiah and Storm been better.

Bingham didn't have much impact when he came on but held up the ball well. Didn't have many opportunities to show off his skills.

Connor Pain was wasteful, exemplified by his poor first time shot when he was clear behind the West Sydney defence. Looks out of confidence and didn't seem to be able to get into the game.

LFCMariners

Many here will not remember back in 1983 (FFS 34 years ago) when Australia finally took the America's cup. My memory is suspect but I think it was after the third race when Australia scared the shit out of the yanks when Australia had a crewman up the mast trying to fix a halyard and we nearly beat them.

At the post race interview the defending skipper Dennis Connor stated that if ever the Australian boat got its act together they would be unbeatable.

I feel we are in a similar place.

For those of you with no history the Australian boat got its act together and wiped the floor with the yanks.

Looking good.

Every season CCM have been beaten 5-1 at home, they've gone on the make the GF...

shipwreck

I don't know whats worse about being the small team, the fact that we get shitty, weak, crowd pleasing calls go against us all the time (like a soft penalty or blatant missed handballs).

Or that there is always a feeling of injustice when the commentators don't even entertain the idea that we got hard done by, to give credit to Speed he was trying to hint several times at just that, like the Risdon second yellow effort or the multiple handball. Not only did Ned (who is retarded to be fair) not at all pick up what Speed was putting down, the replays didn't even centre around that controversy.

I distinctly remember Speed saying several times "Lets have another look at that handball/yellow/challenge" etc fully expecting the coverage to go back there, but it just didnt, its like unless its in the favour of any of the big teams, foxsports doesnt give a f**k.

Finally, has anyone seen the replay of Storms cross straight into a WSW defenders arm in the box, from the first half? Its about as obvious a Penalty as you can get, no reaction from the linesman so therefore obvious error, when does the VAR kick in? Im genuinely questioning its relevance.

nebakke

I think, if last weekend proved anything, it was that the VAR is just an excuse to sell advertising space to McDonalds - for everything else, it's a rubberstamp.

Tevor

I think, if last weekend proved anything, it was that the VAR is just an excuse to sell advertising space to McDonalds - for everything else, it's a rubberstamp.
Totally agree Beath should have used the VAR on both hand ball shouts like the Melb Derby when an obvious non hand ball was checked. I have no faith in it and I think it's only going to be useful for offside calls when they have true evidence otherwise the Ref's call will stand which would be ok if the Ref's were better and not so one sided. I don't know how Paolo doesn't get fined every week.

Ozhammer

For me, the VAR is presently bringing nothing to the game. The handballs should have been looked at in our game and seemingly weren't and yet in the derby game afterwards, they seemed to be reviewing everything!

The FFA had better sort the situation out quick smart, or it will become a standing joke.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
im clearly psychic or psychotic or psychoanilitical, cause I picked a draw , thanks for nothing Beath you drooling fkn nufty, once again the refs are grinding us into the ground with lame half thought through decisions, having said that, Hooley needs to wind it in a smidge, also having said that WSW shoulda had 9 on the pitch , fark moi what a load of filth
people say that Wout is a bit not quite there , give him another week or so , once he sorts out whats what he will shine , and how about Asdrubal hey?, OLE ! , if only he was a 6 inches taller, I can only agree with Ancient's prose , after the next few weeks will have the pundits will be going OKONS A GENIUS
#COYY

Big Al

Did getting pumped by Newcastle via the long ball lull WSW into a game they don't usually play.

They tried to copy the long ball over the top and that's not there game.

Had a look at there forum and they all said how good is it not to play out from the back every time.

Think they thought there was a weakness (which there is) and tried to copy newy. Just couldn't do it.

They also said we were better.

Last night on Shootout Ned Wanker was absolutely getting stuck into Cornthwaite about both goals. Especially the first saying they are playing possession and are in front of you why did they have space. He blamed Baccas for being to far off Brama.

Then blamed Baccas again on 2nd but also Robbie for not shutting down Hoole.

Robbie couldn't get a word in.

It was pretty much Ned saying you made me look stupid because I was bagging there possession and then they scored

nebakke

Did getting pumped by Newcastle via the long ball lull WSW into a game they don't usually play.

They tried to copy the long ball over the top and that's not there game.

Had a look at there forum and they all said how good is it not to play out from the back every time.

Think they thought there was a weakness (which there is) and tried to copy newy. Just couldn't do it.

They also said we were better.

Last night on Shootout Ned Wanker was absolutely getting stuck into Cornthwaite about both goals. Especially the first saying they are playing possession and are in front of you why did they have space. He blamed Baccas for being to far off Brama.

Then blamed Baccas again on 2nd but also Robbie for not shutting down Hoole.

Robbie couldn't get a word in.

It was pretty much Ned saying you made me look stupid because I was bagging there possession and then they scored

Big thing for me was that our defence on a whole, played the "offside game" so much better this weekend... Or rathe, they actually played it... I'm no fan of Ned - he sounds like a moron and it's only compounded when you hear what he's actually saying... But - every commentator blames the strikers for falling into an offside trap, rather than appreciating the defenders - defence is a thankless role - no glory and a lot of blame.

At the end of the day though, for mine, yes, WSW tried copying the Jest approach - with some success, considering how cheaply they got away with some of the hacking. But - the boys were also playing a lot better in the middle... Passes were targeted and hitting feet, there was movement and intent off the ball and the ball control as a whole, was much better... It wasn't as much us actually holding on to the ball as it was WSW backing off - which is a huge improvement.

I'm frustrated that we're missing Hoole again next weekend but I'm still back to being hopeful overall...

Timmah

Just on the offside thing, a refereeing question - often a ref will get stuck in (or the FFA after the game through a fines system) if there's excessive foul play throughout a match... if a team is persistently pinged for offside like WSW seemed to be throughout Saturday evening, is that something that can attract some sort of punishment?

(aside from the obvious fact we get a FK each time)

nebakke

Just on the offside thing, a refereeing question - often a ref will get stuck in (or the FFA after the game through a fines system) if there's excessive foul play throughout a match... if a team is persistently pinged for offside like WSW seemed to be throughout Saturday evening, is that something that can attract some sort of punishment?

I don't actually know how the rules see it, but to my mind, that'd be somewhat unfair... Means a group of very good defenders might actually be able to target getting players sanctioned somehow, from essentially just not being as good as them, so punishing what might ostensibly already be a weaker team.
Anyway, as it is, offside exists to keep the game moving and mitigate the amount of hoof-ball in the game, it's not like it's meant to protect anyone particularly. More of an administrative call to my mind.

Timmah

I don't actually know how the rules see it, but to my mind, that'd be somewhat unfair... Means a group of very good defenders might actually be able to target getting players sanctioned somehow, from essentially just not being as good as them, so punishing what might ostensibly already be a weaker team.
Anyway, as it is, offside exists to keep the game moving and mitigate the amount of hoof-ball in the game, it's not like it's meant to protect anyone particularly. More of an administrative call to my mind.
Yeah, fair call. More than anything I guess they're just shit at playing a high forward line

LFCMariners

So it's basically the equivalent of the KFC Video Ref in the NRL. This is the problem with there being a sponsor even for a simple officiating decision...

I agree that being a small team sucks sometimes- and to this day I'm amazed that of any GF that CCM would win, it would be against the red and black bandwagon who'd swept all before them in their very first season. On the 442 boards, WSW fans were celebrating the moment they beat the Roar to make the decider, with one of them posting a GIF of that kid from 'Neverending Story' riding on the back of Falcor and pumping his fists. By contrast, I remember the moment that final whistle went in the prelim against the Victory, my thought was "Great- we've just ruined our preparation for the ACL game against Suwon so we can be the team who gets f**ked over by the FFA NRMA Wanderers to complete their fairytale!"

I still can't believe the fashion CCM won that game in- to think they'd seal it with a penalty, out of everything...

Yoda

And Pedj got away with one. That might be the only game in Mariners history that we won the "rub of the green".

LFCMariners

And Pedj got away with one. That might be the only game in Mariners history that we won the "rub of the green".

I thought Pedj got off when I saw it live, but watching it back it was the correct decision. Was a close one but!

pjennings

I don't think we did. Harper said he could have avoided it as it was crossed from out wide. But it got deviated towards him from a WSW player a metre away. No way was he expecting to be involved in the play.

Ozhammer

I agree it was a pen against Pedj but you know what, the footballing gods decided it was our year after all the shit GF decisions that had gone against us in the past, like the missed foul in the lead up to Brisbane's second goal in 2011 and the handball on the line in 2008, so I'll take it.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Just watched the first half. Entertaining game. That first handball penalty appeal. FFS...that's a clear penalty. Arm was sticking out from the side of his body. Hoole's card, fair enough (bit fortunate, small question of a red on that one). That penalty against us...can't really see much from the TV angles.

Connor Pain, terrible performance. I'm not sure that he really has a place in this new team. I think his weaknesses are really showing up and he's just not doing much useful. Him and Appiah are basically the same player, except Pain is a little stronger and Appiah has a little more ball control. But running fast is their entire game. Can't shoot or create.

Can't believe he has a 2-on-1 with the keeper and tries to first-time the shot.

DDS is looking great and starting to link up well.

So far I'm really worried about our finishing. It doesn't look strong.

There is a caution (almost never used) for 'persistently infringing the laws of the game'. Technically it doesn't specify it only applies to Law 12 (fouls)....so technically you could argue that you could apply it to offside. Heck, could make the same argument for foul throws.

But that's not what the intent of the law is. It's there to protect players for persistent fouling, to punish teams for constant, low-level fouls to disrupt play and to prevent games from boiling over due to constant niggles.

Persistently breaching offside doesn't really fit into any of those problems. Also, offside is as much about the defender's actions as to the striker's - they're only disadvantaging themselves by being caught. So it just wouldn't make any sense to consider persistent infringement to apply to offside.

I don't think we did. Harper said he could have avoided it as it was crossed from out wide. But it got deviated towards him from a WSW player a metre away. No way was he expecting to be involved in the play.
That's a valid argument - he only had visibility of it once it was deflected to him from about 4-5 yards away. Was that still enough time to react to the play? Maybe, maybe not.
I actually suspect Green didn't even see it. Green was fairly side on - and when the arm is level with the torse and you're looking at it side-on, it's almost impossible to tell with certainty if it hit the arm or torso. That's just the reality - you would all have had that happen in your games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred