• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 18. Newcastle away.

jacobsfl

My concern would be that's too close to how the 4-2-2-2 was functioning in practice and we need to fix the problems that have been highlighted in that structure. Exposing our wing to Millar will play in to one of their best attacking options and just can't happen. I think a wider formation makes it very clear who should be marking who to stop that happening. In my suggestion that would be DDS, if he can't go with him Kim can go out knowing Stens is covering or Rowles can step up.

The less the formation is changed the better.

Reactions: adz

turbo

Do you have faith in the 4-2-2-2 to work out any better than it did against WSW? 4-2-3-1 isnt uncharted territory for us and is a more standard formation that players are likely to have their head around. If we play 4-2-2-2 we're going to get torn up out wide against the jets.

jacobsfl

Do you have faith in the 4-2-2-2 to work out any better than it did against WSW? 4-2-3-1 isnt uncharted territory for us and is a more standard formation that players are likely to have their head around. If we play 4-2-2-2 we're going to get torn up out wide against the jets.

If I'm being 100% honest, I prefer the 4-2-3-1. More width so we can utilise Harold and SS (if the lad gets his attitude in the right place).

Michael

I’d love to see Milan deeper next to Kim. His passing range from a deeper central position coupled with the speed we have out wide especially now with Harold we could create a fair bit.
Milan was caught out last week in that he’s not someone who dribbles past players and he seemed to be stretching for a lot of fairly basic passes so I hope his hernia scare isn’t coming back.

Pirate Pete

I disagree for this game. Change the formation. The Scum will come out thinking we'll play the same as the last few weeks.
We really need at least a point from this game, so something has to be changed.
I hope Simon doesn't get a start cos Boogard & Co are probably working on a way to get him sent off this week in training.

onto it

I agree Matty is a good booster but what a liability.
Last week he smacked someone in the head with his forearm and the ball was nowhere near them. I was amazed that it wasn't even picked up by the commentators.
He's definitely a lose cannnon. Not a 90 minute man.
Does anyone know what his issue is?

Insertnamehere

My concern would be that's too close to how the 4-2-2-2 was functioning in practice and we need to fix the problems that have been highlighted in that structure. Exposing our wing to Millar will play in to one of their best attacking options and just can't happen. I think a wider formation makes it very clear who should be marking who to stop that happening. In my suggestion that would be DDS, if he can't go with him Kim can go out knowing Stens is covering or Rowles can step up.
Ultimately for me it essentially plays as a 4141 regardless of possession or not. Its just how far up the CMs and Wingers play. If were on top the can push up, if were giving up soft ball the play more defensive and allow a reset. But this takes intelligence to read the game.

Insertnamehere

Last week he smacked someone in the head with his forearm and the ball was nowhere near them. I was amazed that it wasn't even picked up by the commentators.
He's an angry old man who grew playing football in a time and place when that was OK.

MagpieMariner

He's an angry old man who grew playing football in a time and place when that was OK.
I think my experience is like Matty's problem now. I played grade hockey for about 15 years and I prided myself on my clean play. I never got a red in all those years. In my final year, I found I was up against kids over 10 years younger who were a lot faster than me (I wasn't always slow, but as you get older...) and I realised I was starting to be a niggly player trying to slow them down, so I could compete. I didn't want to spoil my no-red record so I retired. Now I think maybe Matty is starting to be a bit like that, slowing down so getting more niggly than he was because he's so determined to compete. Unfortunately he's got a bit of a rep now which makes things worse for him.

Wombat

He is angry. Some people are aggressive when they play sport. A strong will to win.
As players decline due to age they get angrier.

Forum Phoenix

Would be nice to get a win this weekend. I still have faith in this club as a whole.

We need to go back to what made us successful in the Arnie days. Falling back on youth talent we know we have rather than disregarding them, with some experience at the back and in midfield to buoy them. This is something to attempt next season.

I expect Clisby to be dropped, but who plays left-back?

Rowles is the best option. If he had t been so good central it would have happened months ago, and if it had, things would have likely been better. Fox looked very solid for the most part to me.

But Staj obviously wanted to attack down the flanks. And given we had no fast wingers... he needs wingbacks... and then you have Rowles.. let’s just be kind and say as an attacker he makes even Clisby seem plausible.

Last edited:

Ironbark

I don't have a great feeling about this game.
If the scum smack us with the spoon as is likely - not only is the season in a dank bog but fan support would cop a dangerous blow

Ironbark

Stajcic sees similarities between local rivals before crucial F3 derby

A-League.com Feb 5, 2020

Alen Stajcic believes the outcome of Sunday's derby between Central Coast Mariners and Newcastle Jets will say a lot about which of the struggling rivals are ready to turn over a new page and challenge for the Hyundai A-League's top honours.

Tenth-placed Mariners and last-placed Jets have endured similar frustrations this season, particularly in their failure to capitalise on chances created in the final third.

Both sides have scored the fewest amount of goals and boast the poorest conversion rates in the competition, with Newcastle's struggles on show in last weekend's stalemate against Western United - a game in which the Jets were entirely dominant but spurned every opportunity to find the net.

But Stajcic says the upcoming F3 derby is an opportunity to draw a line in the sand.

"I think it's irrelevant where teams are on the ladder," he said.

"We're playing for the pride of this region. It all goes on the line this week to show that we are the team on the up and to show that we are the team that is going to be challenging for honours both this year and in the coming years as well.

"This derby has been going on for 15 years now and is probably actually more important than the league table."

Although the F3 derby fixture has always been a day for fans of the Mariners and Jets to proudly declare their differences, Stajcic is aware that this season, the two fan bases are united in their frustration.

"They are not dissimilar to us," he said.

"They are in a little bit of a rut like us. The execution and quality in the final third has been lacking just like us."

However, the Mariners boss expects those departments to improve following the return of Irish striker and ex-Mariner Roy O'Donovan, who signed for the Jets last week after ending a short stint with Robbie Fowler's Brisbane Roar.

"They have a lot to prove but they have Roy O'Donovan coming in this week which is a big boost for them and you just know with the quality of the players they have up front, people like [Dimitri] Petratos, [Jason]Hoffman and [Abdiel] Arroyo... and for me [Steven] Ugarkovic has had a great season.

"So we're certainly not going to underestimate them."

Stajcic also replenished his attacking arsenal by signing former Perth Glory flyer Chris Harold.

Harold had his first session with the Mariners on Monday and although Stajcic admits fans will have to be patient, he sees big things ahead for the 27-year-old who spent eight years in WA.

"He's still young but he's had a lot of experience. He's been with them during their ups and downs," he said.

"He's hungry he's determined, he's very mature when you talk to him and he knows what he wants. That's the kind of player we're looking for.

"We have really high hopes for him but it's going to take time. Certainly I've got high expectations for him."

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/st...local-rivals-wants-mariners-lay-down-a-marker

turbo

Not promising for him getting a start and Staj weirdly emphasising being young. He’s 27 not 21.

turbo

Still young. As in he has time on his side.
I still wouldn't call that young, he's in his prime. Plenty of players start losing their pace and falling off in their early 30s, how much that impacts them depends on what's in their game to work around it. Either way it doesnt look promising for anything more than bench minutes by that statement but maybe Staj is throwing out a red herring for the jets.

Pirate Pete

As far as I am concerned, if you are under 50, you are young.
icon_sad.gif

any chance of upping that figure a bit?

Drew

hi guys, in regards to our left back problem, I think we should try Ziggy at LB, when he first joined he was a RB but said he could play anywhere across the back 4, that would also bring fox back to partner rowles at CB, I think it would work because Ziggy would do better then clisby and oar at LB, even if we sacrifice a little bit going forward, he's a stronger defender and would be able to shut down Millar easier because he isn't as far forward needing to chase back, could be worth a try

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred