• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 1 Away @ WSW

Forum Phoenix

f**k me this is reminiscent of last season. Like what is the point of majok he is useless better off subbing on melling who is going to actually challenge for something. I just hope the referees are consistent when applying the hand ball rule

Because we needed a goal by then. Not turn overs in midfield, (which Melling will give us one way or another) For a 20 year old Majok is nowhere near as bad as people make out.

Staj did everything right for mine. We looked structured, calm and in control first half. Whereas Wanderers looked slower than a wet week and poor imo. They were a four man team tonight. Credit to Duke Jurman Swelger and their keeper the rest of them were just passengers for the most part.

I find it hard to take too many positives out of the game because I think WSW were awful. And my biggest criticism beyond not taking our chances, is that we really should have upped the tempo. I just don’t think they could have coped with us. But we slowed instead.

Speed made me want to take my pair of chicken skewers and shove them down my ear holes. I would have paid good money for him to shut up. Kossie is good value though,

Last edited:

nero

I will preface by saying the Mariners have allowed me to have a low expectation.
I thought the MOM was the referee.
For me
- The structures of the team were great. (Massive improvement on last year)
- The hand ball call was right (as long as we continue on the same decisions all season)
- Stensness, GG, Duric, DDS, Oar looked good.
- I am a Murray fan but please give him more game time. Simon would gave not done any better.
- I will say that with a visa striker we would look far better.

All in I am not happy to lose but I enjoyed seeing the team improve over last year. I believe we have the right coach.

He is the best coach we have had since Arnold.
I hope he can get some results and we can hold on to him for a decent stretch.

Elite

Despite the heartbreaking result, well done to all the travelling fans. Made plenty of noise and had a nice smattering of yellow in the away bay.

Michael

We were the better team, shit penalty but that’s the new hand ball rule I suppose. Adelaide were stung too last night. Hard to take but the positives of the performance are plenty. Clisby was probably the only sub par player for me and he wasn’t atrocious by any means. Could’ve so easily jagged a deserved equaliser in those couple goal mouth scrambles too.
So just shit luck on this occasion. But we do need to take those chances we created. No excuses.

Forum Phoenix

I think some are being a bit harsh on Murray. I absolutely think we need a clear starting quality 9 but of the options we have he’s still the best. A bunch of those chances don’t happen if he doesn’t get on the end of balls that Matty simply wouldn’t and I’m not convinced he would have finished them any better either.

He should have scored, maybe even 2 but far more experienced strikers miss them too. Dropping him back behind Matty would be a mistake.

Unless Muzz bagged a few I’m certain Staj would revert to Matty. As it is, I think that’s a given now.

I’m not advocating for Matty. That’s precisely our bloody dilemma. Muzz still has promise imo but he’s also clearly not ready to be our leading striker yet. And in such a vital season for us, it’s already proving a costly decision.

Quality nine could have won us both our last games. I’ve been patient, and I’m still willing to be patient, but murray needs to develop off the bench, playing upfront and not on the bloody wing, until he’s either ready or he isn’t.

Matty shouldn’t even be in the equation anymore. The way our mids are playing we need mobility up top. Proper starting striker and then Murray off the bench.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Fark moi ...rooted again and the ref was doing so well until he remembered where he was and that he had to officiate like a HAL ref , WSW should of been at least one man down for a couple of those tackles.....ANYWAY...my MOM was Tommy Oar pity he didn’t have a top class striker (and I like Muzz) ) to shoot for ...och well, upwards and onwards

Timmah

Despite the heartbreaking result, well done to all the travelling fans. Made plenty of noise and had a nice smattering of yellow in the away bay.
Big agree here. Fantastic turnout. WSW fans didn't seem to show up though. Thought "they built that stadium for the Wanderers" but 17k for their first home game there (even allowing for weather) is poor considering the Eels averaged far more in the NRL and WSW fans seemed to consider them a 'secondary tenant'

turbo

Unless Muzz bagged a few I’m certain Staj would revert to Matty. As it is, I think that’s a given now.
I have a huge issue with falling back on Matty who won’t do any more especially after 1 or 2 games. Murray has a bad game and Matty gets the nod and it’ll take another suspension or injury to get a proper crack. He’ll score a few in that time, maybe 2 from open play if we are lucky.

We need a 9 but until we get one falling back to Matty after a bit of a wobble is not the answer it’ll just send us backwards.

marinermick

There is just no money for a nine. Staj wanted Berisha and told there. Is no funds.

Nothing has changed. We have underinvested again and will not make the six.

We will churn out another coach and he doesn’t deserve it.

MagpieMariner

My old coach always said "If you're beaten by one umpiring (they were umpires, not referees in hockey) decision, then you weren't good enough." We had enough chances to take this one in spite of the dicey pen and the non-review up the other end, and the non-red. So we can't complain (well, not too much anyway). As others have said, and probably will say ad nauseum all season, we need some quality up the pointy end.
Also Tommy O must wear the armband all season. I thought he was brilliant. Matty without the armband (I'm assuming he'll be back next week) can then just concentrate on trying to score goals without having to think about anything else. It might work.
If we had the same defence and the same guy in pink that we had last year, we would have got flogged, so things are looking up.

Last edited:

Michael

One of the most entertaining parts of the match was Kossie constantly pulling Speed up on his shit talk.
Horrendous commentator. Trying to make up story lines, blatantly getting facts wrong, calling basic movements with the ball world class and trade mark of a player.
We say the league needs to improve, Fox sports need to sort their shit out.

marinermick

One of the most entertaining parts of the match was Kossie constantly pulling Speed up on his shit talk.
Horrendous commentator. Trying to make up story lines, blatantly getting facts wrong, calling basic movements with the ball world class and trade mark of a player.
We say the league needs to improve, Fox sports need to sort their shit out.

They need a clean out. Hill and Harper are going through the motions. And Robbie Cornthwaite wtf?

Kudos to Slater who still has enthusiasm all these years later.

midfielder

What can you say ... Charlesworth's lack of investment in the squad especially now as it's operating as Indy Hal, which was always his major excuse... is beyond short sighted and IMO penny wise and pound foolish...... a decent striker and we win the last two games... add thousands more thu the gates over 13 rounds... plus added pressure on council to hand over management rights...

The rain kept me away from the stadium today, meaning I saw the reply's of our shots on goal ... straight at the keeper ...

Deej

Plenty of positives as well as negatives from today.

- We competed and didn’t deserve to lose it’s been a while since we looked that organised.
- Birra wasn’t really tested much, we did ok at the back.
- Ziggy is not the full back we need, likes to play backwards too much, but defensively is good
- why do we not have someone on the near post? That cooks me
- defensively I did feel we were playing sill buggers and inviting unnecessary pressure at times.
- Murray has no left foot (well at least the confidence to use it) and needs to make quicker decisions (easier said than done)
- we timed our runs with the ball over the top well but midfield was too slow pushing up to support
- we still have a few players to return from injury and to regain fitness
- Majok’s first touch is horrid
- I feel we will upset a few teams this year, they worked hard so well done boys
- we really do need another striker
- duric strikes the ball very well, didn’t miss in the warm up and his corners were dangerous.

Bring on scum next week, we’ll improve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred