• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Roar v CCM - Grand Final

Lisarow Yellow (Pooley)

I would encourage everyone to watch the American version of 'Fever Pitch'. YES, it is about baseball unlike the football theme of the original, but the whole movie sums up so well what it's like to be devoted to a team and for your entire emotional state to be dependant on their fortunes- especially when you are used to them letting you down.

being a sox fan, winning in 04 was amazing. the most moving story i head was the amount of people that left Boston newspapers the day after the win on the family members graves.

MagpieMariner

Yeah, I have thought of Collingwood before last years' GF over the past day or so, ditto St George. Even in the NRL, Manly lost 5 GF's (1951, 1955, 1959, 1968, 1970) before they finally broke through in 1972 for their first one and apparently grown men were weeping at the SCG that day. Manly are the only club to have won a Premiership in every decade since the '70s.

For me, I want to win the double. Even if we had held on and won, the biggest thrill for me was the idea of beating the Roar at last, especially in the biggest game of the year. Winning the toilet seat but knowing we weren't the greatest team all year would have felt a little hollow. No, I dream of bossing the League, taking another Premiers' Plate home and then knocking over an opponent in the GF for the toilet seat. I don't want a tense game, I want to see the Mariners take all their pain of past defeats out on the other team (hopefully it will be the Scum or Sydney or the Tards) and win 4-0 in real foot to the throat style. That is what I dream of.

I don't know if this is entirely on-topic, but we're talking of grand finals, so maybe it just squeezes in. :innocent:
I'm hoping for a kind-of history repeat - 1990 both Collingwood & Penrith made their respective grand finals, Collingwood winning & Penrith losing. Penrith then made the 1991 grand final and won it.
Now in 2010 we have a similar scenario - both Collingwood & Mariners in their respective grand finals, one winning & one losing. I just hope now that Mariners follow the pattern next season.

Having grown up with the Australian finals tradition, I don't care too much about the Premier's Plate, although it's very nice to win it. For me, the ultimate is to win the grand final, nothing else comes close. So I don't share your potential hollow feeling had we won. I just hope the rest of your comment becomes fact, and I want it next year.

Ezz

I just came across this blog, its quite interesting and gives a perspective of what some fans in other countries think of the GF (even though he turned into a Roar fan)
The Australian Lesson
Regardless of the result, we all have to agree that this was a great match of football - at least until the 115th min. Great to read the comment from the Roar fan that his two favourite memories (apart, of course, from the roar goals) were examples of good sportsmanship by Mariners. 1. Matty Simon helping stretch the roar player when he went down with cramp 2. Mat Ryan offering to shake Theoklitos hand before the penalty shoot out (not sure what this implies about Theo). I know I have an extremely biased view but I think the Mariners boys proved themselves in the way they handled themselves after the game. Young Mat Ryan's post match interview where, obviously heartbroken, he still congratulated the Roar showed what a man he will become and was a better display than i saw from the opposition.

LFCMariners

*BUMP*

Okay, I have had 2 months to think about it, and this is where I stand: The Roar were the best team of 2010-11, and the very notion that any team could beat them in 1 match and be deemed 'Champions', proves just how ridiculous it is to have finals in domestic football. At 2-0 up, I was a few minutes away from texting a Roar fan mate of mine and saying that it would be a somewhat hollow victory- sure we'd claim a toilet seat and shut the haters up, but I would never feel like we were deserved Champions. Believe me, the haters would just be going "Oh you just got lucky/ you fluked it- no way were you better than the Roar" etc etc.

We also have to remember that this Roar team made a name for themselves all season of pulling off great escapes late in the game. Any other team, at 2-0 up we go on and win it. But not the Roar. They had done it time and time again all season, and in the dying minutes of extra-time it was no different.

When we win our maiden GF, I want there to be no if's, but's or asterisks next to our title. I want to boss the League Brisbane-style (except maybe go undefeated?), win the Premiers' plate at a canter and then finally have the FFA do the right thing by us and let us play the GF at Bluetongue. Then on a warm summers' afternoon I want to see the Mariners thrash the opposition and win the toilet seat, no questions asked. Nobody will be able to question us or take it away from us.

TBH we over-achieved last season. To come from the majority just hoping we'd finish clear of the spoon, to going level after 120 minutes against the greatest team seen in A-League history, on their home turf, and then getting beaten on penalties, says a lot about the character of the side and how Arnold has managed to turn the side around so quickly, remember that. We are in Asia again. We have that to remind the haters next season when they start the predictable chant (I don't think I have to tell you what it will be). Even the Roar- we can remind them that as cocky as they are now, when their team came back from 2-0 down they were already on the bus home. It truly felt weird seeing the home team raise the toilet seat in a half-empty stadium!

All I am thinking about now is next season. The Roar could turn out to be a one-season wonder, who knows? My hope for the Mariners is that we are at the top end of the League, go very far in the FFA Cup (heck, win the thing!) and exact our revenge in the finals series. I think next season will be when we truly see the rewards of the groundwork GA has been laying down this past year.

We have a chance to exorcise the demons in the very first round, and I would strongly encourage everybody who came up for the GF to come up again. To fill an entire bay again and out-sing the home fans would be a huge "F**k you!" to the opposition and a sign that we are not intimidated by them- only thing better would be to beat them and get that monkey off the back! :eek:verhead:

LFCMariners

Meh. I recovered after about a week. In the bigger scheme of things, I can think of far more heartbreaking losses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXdJ7x9f90&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqoN_HGO2hM

LFCMariners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtjmofqBeM

^ This one has good memories, however! Can understand how you would feel if you supported the other lot, though!

Bex

Nope, I'm only just starting to get over it now. Started watching the recording of the GF I've got on the Foxtel IQ for the first time last week and still couldn't do it, but did manage to get about 10 mins in before switching it off.

LFCMariners

What would it take to get over it?

I just want to see these boys beat the Roar. I am so f**king sick of seeing them always come away with at least a point, no matter how dodgy some of the decisions late in a match have been. I think to beat them in the opening round next season would be a huge confidence booster for the team.

VicMariner

RoarFan said:
Big game this Sunday boys :p

Yes indeed. This will be the second time this season you have played a team that finished above you on the ladder last year. The first was against Victory and you lost.
Roar seems to be going well. The "Mulvey out" banner seems a bit premature now.....
Sunday might give an indication of where our respective teams are at but it is still early in the season, I don't think any firm conclusions can be drawn either way.
I hope ya get smashed though.

FFC Mariner

I don't understand this thread.

There was no game in Brisbane, I didn't go and I didn't walk back with PP either.

Nor did a policeman on horseback threaten to arrest us when goaded by some shit kicking red neck.

Nor was I in the Pig and Whistle on Queen St when the barman threw out the guy wearing his brand new Roar shirt who was trying to wind us up.

Never happened

yellowcake

Big game this Sunday boys :p
Hey RoarFan. In case you come back to inspect your one-post trolling (welcome ;)) this is a serious request: I've been for two years trying to source the DVD of this game because, as many of us posted on this thread in the days following, it was an extraordinarily memorable day (result notwithstanding) and is part of Mariners folklore. To my knowledge it was never sold here on the Coast (as the others were and noting that my son bought his copy of the 2013 GF at JB Hi Fi in Parramatta!)

So, looking to complete my set of Mariners DVDs - GF appearances x4 and The Code set. PM me if you find there's still stray copies you know of in Brissy or someone that accidentally ended up with two.

being a sox fan, winning in 04 was amazing. the most moving story i head was the amount of people that left Boston newspapers the day after the win on the family members graves.
Ha ha! I have all the newspapers from 22/04/2013 and the Wednesday Central Coast Express that week, all virtually unopened because "they were the ones my descendants were to have been instructed to put on my grave when our maiden Championship came to pass", if I'd passed on beforehand :pirashoot:

eenfish

Ha ha! I have all the newspapers from 22/04/2013 and the Wednesday Central Coast Express that week, all virtually unopened because "they were the ones my descendants were to have been instructed to put on my grave when our maiden Championship came to pass", if I'd passed on beforehand :pirashoot:

I did that too. I thought I was the only one. Just when you think you're the only nutter...

yellowcake

How can there be a DVD of a game that didn't happen?
1. What?! You think everything on DVD is real?
2. Well, somewhere in a parallel universe...

Now sometimes one's things can be used for cathartic good.
Personally, I hated the 2008 GF much more. Own it. Never watched it. Don't know if I ever will - it's just part of the set.
I did ceremoniously remove the cover from its case, burnt it and made my own replacement.

eenfish

1. What?! You think everything on DVD is real?
2. Well, somewhere in a parallel universe...

Now sometimes one's things can be used for cathartic good.
Personally, I hated the 2008 GF much more. Own it. Never watched it. Don't know if I ever will - it's just part of the set.
I did ceremoniously remove the cover from its case, burnt it and made my own replacement.

I was thinking of somehow roping myself a copy of all the grand finals we lost. Then I tried to watch the youtube video of the second half of extra time from the '11 final and started violently convulsing. Some things just weren't made for watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred