• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Reffing shockers at CCM games (yeah I know)

turbo

View attachment 2117
I'm getting over people using this incident for their anti VAR crusade. VAR did what it was supposed to do, I agree the process and implementation need to change because recent weeks havent been good enough, but if you bin VAR that match plays out the exact same way but with less repercussions for Evans and the referees overall because it can be brushed off as real time & heat of the moment mistakes.

This is a people not a tech problem.

On that PFA comment - why does MC need to be in direct contact with the PFA to negotiate the CBA? That's the whole point of having an association, you help form the group consensus and let the representatives negotiate with the PFA. Bit ironic saying they didn't have individual contact in collective bargaining.

AuzDutchy

Is it possible VAR is holding back younger refs from being promoted? The pool of available officials seems to be pretty small and i wonder if its due to young refs not getting any training and experience with VAR in the NPLs, holding them back from being promoted to the ALeague

Big Al

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Might just because he's been trying to sell the club.
Is it possible VAR is holding back younger refs from being promoted? The pool of available officials seems to be pretty small and i wonder if its due to young refs not getting any training and experience with VAR in the NPLs, holding them back from being promoted to the ALeague
Can't see why - new refs get introduced to the AL as a 4th official; I know a guy who was doing that for nearly 2 years before his first game. Can't see why VAR would have anything to do with it.

Tevor

Heard from OUTGOING Aleague owner. Is this a slip of the keyboard or a slip of a potential sale?
It's been a bloody slow door hitting him on the way out unfortunately. It is not an incorrect statement, he has made no secret the club is permanently up for sale. He probably thinks one Marquee will lift the whole competition and get the price he wants. If I was the owner my rant would have been about the level of officiating not Marquees lifting the leagues crowds. Just shows how out of touch he is.

Man Overboard

I'm getting over people using this incident for their anti VAR crusade. VAR did what it was supposed to do, I agree the process and implementation need to change because recent weeks havent been good enough, but if you bin VAR that match plays out the exact same way but with less repercussions for Evans and the referees overall because it can be brushed off as real time & heat of the moment mistakes.

On that PFA comment - why does MC need to be in direct contact with the PFA to negotiate the CBA? That's the whole point of having an association, you help form the group consensus and let the representatives negotiate with the PFA. Bit ironic saying they didn't have individual contact in collective bargaining.
So Charlesworth doesn't know how much VAR costs to operate, yet he says that its too much???? Also he says that the money spent on it [and he doesn't know how much that is] would be better spent on marquee players to promote the viewer numbers? We have been flat out meeting the MINIMUM salary limits in the past. He hasn't really demonstrated his willingness to pay for marquee players in the past, so its a bit rich. Also, if not for the VAR, Evans' and Arms' mistakes would have never come to light and complaints passed off as sour grapes from ignorant, biased fans. I think VAR is a great idea, it just needs to be used better.

true believer

I hate FOX but love how they worded this article to really throw Shaun Evans and the Refs under the bus, they need a big scare like this and they need to do better.

yeah fox did that article for one reason.
they don't have the A-league rights . so any reason to attack the league is fine

Watch the world’s best footballers every week with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. LIVE coverage from LaLiga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Carabao Cup, EFL & SPFL. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

jacobsfl

VAR needs to be canned in Australian football indefinitely - clubs cannot keep paying for something that isn't up to standard. Paramount isn't yet fit enough to be a sports streaming platform but they'll work it out, but with only 2-3 camera angles, what is the point? Currently, it's causing more problems than it's solving, and in that case, you have to get rid of it. They don't have the technology on hand for it to be considered accurate enough. So whilst yes, VAR did the right thing in the Melb City game, it's still not at an acceptable level, and just needs to be left out of the Australian game for an indefinite period

Forum Phoenix

Yep. Me too. VAR if anything is what helped prove the true level of ineptitude and or bias we face.

Wombat

So Charlesworth doesn't know how much VAR costs to operate, yet he says that its too much???? Also he says that the money spent on it [and he doesn't know how much that is] would be better spent on marquee players to promote the viewer numbers? We have been flat out meeting the MINIMUM salary limits in the past. He hasn't really demonstrated his willingness to pay for marquee players in the past, so its a bit rich. Also, if not for the VAR, Evans' and Arms' mistakes would have never come to light and complaints passed off as sour grapes from ignorant, biased fans. I think VAR is a great idea, it just needs to be used better.
Pretty sure Arms abominations came via the VAR.

Ancient Mariner

The trouble with VAR is that most of the time it is not showing clear errors. Many of the decisions could still go either way.
In the meantime it is really ruining what is a beautiful free flowing game.
Until football can get the quality tech that can show a clear mistake, not a fuzzy between frame guess, forget about the line ball offside decisions, and just tell the ref quickly to correct an error, it should be dropped.
It brings nothing to the enjoyment of the game.
As for showing that refs are incompetent. Leave that to a referees panel to spend hours reviewing videos after the game, judge the officials performance and act accordingly.

turbo

The trouble with VAR is that most of the time it is not showing clear errors. Many of the decisions could still go either way.
That’s a function of the rules being so subjective. You could have the best tech in the world and it won’t help in deciding a borderline handball decision or negligible contact. So it comes back to refining the process which I’m all for.

Until football can get the quality tech that can show a clear mistake, not a fuzzy between frame guess, forget about the line ball offside decisions, and just tell the ref quickly to correct an error, it should be dropped.
I watch a lot of A league games, it’s rare that the technology is a big issue - just don’t ask a jets supporter. Obviously more angles is always nice but if you don’t have a clear angle you’re in no worse position than without it. And the process to confirm that should be very quick. You could say technology was an issue with the first call on the weekend as there wasn’t a crystal clear picture confirming no second contact but it was still clear enough for Evans boss to throw him under the bus.

Most of the issues are process related and can be tweaked, like wider lines on offside rulings that build in some tolerance for a frame issue, or how the VAR is operated - like looking for any possible infringement vs obvious errors. Ultimately there are still people operating the system and those people belong to an organisation that hasn’t shown enough commitment to improvement over an extended period. We’ve had the VAR longer than most and we’re being surpassed rapidly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred