• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 14 V Brisbane Roar

Forum Phoenix

Kennedy 5.5. He is so Lucky we have Pearce as an understudy
Rowles 7. Some really good stuff but some really dumb and dangerous stuff as well.
O'Neill 8. Impressive display. Occasionally a bit sketchy but stays cool.
Tommy H. 6. Still looks our most classy player but not at his best tonight.
McGing 6. Usual defensive cluelessness when defending a corner but overall ok. Melling saved his blushes in the 2nd half.
Millar 7. Great goal and should have had a second.
Shadow 6. Poor first half but improved. Shows good potential.
Melling 7.5 Some great stuff mixed it with the usual rubbish he serves up. His best game for us.
Pain 7. Pretty good.
Murray 5.5. Average.
Simon 7. Some really classy moments at times mixed in style some brain farts.

O'Neill 3pts
Melling 2pts
Millar and Pain 1pt.

Nailed it for me, excepting only Murray who I thought did quite well?

JoyfulPenguin

I thought we struggled significantly off the ball tonight. Our movement just wasn't good enough for the type of game plan we wanted to implement. When we couldn't hit an instant release ball to Pain or Simon we didn't know what to do. Rowles and O'Neill were bereft of options and needed Melling/Hiariej to drop deeper to give them an option. To ooften we would just lump it up the field to no one, because we were seemingly incapable of keeping the ball for longer than three or four passes.

Forum Phoenix

I thought we struggled significantly off the ball tonight. Our movement just wasn't good enough for the type of game plan we wanted to implement. When we couldn't hit an instant release ball to Pain or Simon we didn't know what to do. Rowles and O'Neill were bereft of options and needed Melling/Hiariej to drop deeper to give them an option. To ooften we would just lump it up the field to no one, because we were seemingly incapable of keeping the ball for longer than three or four passes.

Tonight without Oar and with a fatigued Tom we didn’t have the central creativity. Shabow failed to provide this first half.

Last edited:

Wombat

I thought Oneil and Rowles did great tonight. Pain and Murray were both good also. Murray is growing and deserves a renewal now - this can be conducted why we’re busy throwing bank at Millars new 3 year contract.

Shabow improved in the last 15 before he came off and had some great moments, but thought his first half was poor. Hoole was poor off the bench.

Bottom line, that was a game we really needed a fresh legged hungry striker coming off the bench to help us win.

Weemac and Hoole could not do it. Feel like Kekeris and Gameiro could/would serve us better going forward. And if Gameiro is never going to play, its a strong argument for the extra striker.

Murray was less than impressive but apart from that agree totally.

pjennings

Rowles 7. Some really good stuff but some really dumb and dangerous stuff as well.
McGing 6. Usual defensive cluelessness when defending a corner but overall ok. Melling saved his blushes in the 2nd half.
Melling 7.5 Some great stuff mixed it with the usual rubbish he serves up. His best game for us.
Pain 7. Pretty good.
Murray 5.5. Average.

O'Neill 3pts
Melling 2pts
Millar and Pain 1pt.

Bit hard in Murray. Had an assist and should have had a goal but Millar held on to the ball and took wrong option by going himself.

style_cafe

I came away thinking that the referee certainly influenced the game result.
The Roar have always been a side that gets away with committing numerous fouls.
I know we also commit out share but wow,Conga gave me goosebumps tonight,I thought it was Breeze reincarnated.
The most obvious ones for me were:-
a) Why wasn`t DeVeere red carded for his foul on Millar (i think it was)
DeVeere was the last defender,Miller got around him and got pulled back,thus denying him a goal scoring opportunity
see FIFA Rule 12 fouls and misconduct
a player is sent off for "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"
b) Mackay`s elbow to the head of Mat Simon, Conga completely missed the incident and played on. Surely the match review panel has to have a look at this incident
c) Mackay`s tackle in the second half where he was yellow carded was exactly the same as Cissee`s red card tackle,yet he also remained on the park.

Wombat

Bit hard in Murray. Had an assist and should have had a goal but Millar held on to the ball and took wrong option by going himself.

I need more from my strikers. Simon f**ked up a lot but he created far more than Murray. He wasn't bad but he wasn't good.

JoyfulPenguin

Tonight without Oar and with a fatigued Tom we diner have the central creativity. Shabow failed to provide this first half.
Yeah I am being pretty tough, it looked like Hiariej was on lighter duties, which is fair enough, but it really hurt us when trying to keep possession but it does show how little depth we have.

I frankly think we need to pay out McGlinchey and use his visa spot on someone else. He isn't A-League standard and what's worse is that he doesn't care.

I don't think Shabow is an attacking midfielder, he seems much better suited to being a winger but he did show some good sparks at times.

I think Mulvey needed to utilise our young players today, because if they're not up to even sitting on the bench then I'm sorry, there are a whole bunch of players of the same age who don't have an A-League contract who are. Gerrie Sylaidos or the multide of Australian players who get released from European academies every year spring to mind.

Is this a problem with Mulvey or the much vaunted Academy? For the past three seasons we have had Walesand Buhagiar as our success stories. Kekeris came from the AIS prior to last seaskn and Gauci from the NPLSA. We currently have no scholarship players who actually came from our system. Nearly every other club produces at least one player who at the very least pushes their way onto the bench every week. Just look at Brisbane and who they have produced, Rowles (Partly AIS to be fair), Caletti, D'Agostino, Ingham, Akbari, O'Toole, Wenzel-Halls (before he went back to the NPL). Is this a failing of our coaching staff or our academy? Because for the past four years our academy and opportunities for young players was supposedly our focus.

true believer

Pain 7. Pretty good.
Murray 5.5. Average.

O'Neill 3pts
Melling 2pts
Millar and Pain 1pt.
simon was/is rubbish constantly offside had enough chances for us to win it by 10
shadow in the 2nd half was killing them hence why they tried to break his leg
melling had a number of brain farts which a good team would have put away for goals

Forum Phoenix

Yeah I am being pretty tough, it looked like Hiariej was on lighter duties, which is fair enough, but it really hurt us when trying to keep possession but it does show how little depth we have.

I frankly think we need to pay out McGlinchey and use his visa spot on someone else. He isn't A-League standard and what's worse is that he doesn't care.

I don't think Shabow is an attacking midfielder, he seems much better suited to being a winger but he did show some good sparks at times.

I think Mulvey needed to utilise our young players today, because if they're not up to even sitting on the bench then I'm sorry, there are a whole bunch of players of the same age who don't have an A-League contract who are. Gerrie Sylaidos or the multide of Australian players who get released from European academies every year spring to mind.

Is this a problem with Mulvey or the much vaunted Academy? For the past three seasons we have had Walesand Buhagiar as our success stories. Kekeris came from the AIS prior to last seaskn and Gauci from the NPLSA. We currently have no scholarship players who actually came from our system. Nearly every other club produces at least one player who at the very least pushes their way onto the bench every week. Just look at Brisbane and who they have produced, Rowles (Partly AIS to be fair), Caletti, D'Agostino, Ingham, Akbari, O'Toole, Wenzel-Halls (before he went back to the NPL). Is this a failing of our coaching staff or our academy? Because for the past four years our academy and opportunities for young players was supposedly our focus.

Great question. But I don’t know the answer. Hopefully mick and others who know the academy well can answer,

Please note my Original quote still makes sense if you read with a Scottish accent :innocent:

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

The little triangles we played last wk weren't as present either

Ancient Mariner

I have not watched a replay yet but a few early comments.
Tommy wanted to start off the bench but Aspro starting there made this impossible. He looked tired and this showed in the entire team's performance. We need him fit and firing. I thought he looked better in the 2nd half before he went off.

Brisbane were a shambles before they were allowed to freely get away with hacking our players while any hint of retaliation by our guys brought about an immediate whistle. This led to our players falling into the trap and loosing composure and dominance.

We do not have enough fit players to cope with these two games a week times.

The officiating at tonight's game was the most incompetent I have seen at an A-League match.
1st half the east Brisbane attacking the east side linesman raises his flag (and keeps it raised), our players back off, ref lets play proceed and Brisbane almost score. Ref then refers to VAR and rules on side.
2nd half situation reversed, east linesman keeps his flag down, but ref blows Simon offside, linesman then raises his flag, with no allowing play to run on and then make a decision.
This incompetent decision making led to massive frustration.

The cheating little prick McKay needs to be looked at by the match review committee for what looked like a deliberate elbow to Simon's head. He has two cases to answer, the deliberate elbow and then a second for simulation when he was rolling round the ground holding his own.

However with all the crap and failure to cope with the frustration CCM still looked the far superior team.

Ozhammer

Have to say that I was uneasy about last night’s game, given both our track record against the Roar and our ability to maintain the rage after two difficult games.

Kudos to the boys for almost doing enough to take the three points but looking at the injuries we and other teams have picked during Fox Sports’ bullshit Summer of Football, they can honestly get fcuked. With McGing looking like he has pulled a hammy and Shabow’s ankle blowing up like a balloon, plus Tommy Oar being out and Tommy H on the edge of a fatigue injury, just how are we going to put out a competitive team against Newcastle on Weds and then back up once more against Adelaide on Sunday?

Utter madness. :mad:

Last edited:

turbo

just how are we going to put out a competitive team against Newcastle on Weds and then back up once more against Adelaid on Sunday?

According to the post match presser by MM our UK import will be here Tuesday, might not be soon enough to push in to the squad but if the paperwork is in order we might not have many options. Would at least expect to see them on Sunday and probably rest Tom assuming the player he was referring to is Jem as reported. Might be forced to call up CIsse or Golec if Mcging is out (either for Bench with Clisby left Rowles right or direct in for Mcging), Aspro back in and pull ONeill back in to the midfield with Melling.

I think we can put up a competitive team but will need the guys that haven't been getting many minutes to bring their A game. With Simon out we'll need to think about the game plan going forward too. A bit less hit and hope and more of the stuff that has been working anyway.

Forum Phoenix

According to the post match presser by MM our UK import will be here Tuesday, might not be soon enough to push in to the squad but if the paperwork is in order we might not have many options. Would at least expect to see them on Sunday and probably rest Tom assuming the player he was referring to is Jem as reported. Might be forced to call up CIsse or Golec if Mcging is out (either for Bench with Clisby left Rowles right or direct in for Mcging), Aspro back in and pull ONeill back in to the midfield with Melling.

I think we can put up a competitive team but will need the guys that haven't been getting many minutes to bring their A game. With Simon out we'll need to think about the game plan going forward too. A bit less hit and hope and more of the stuff that has been working anyway.

Honestly... 3 games in 8 days... I think we’re in real trouble.

Our starting 11 will be a combination of weaker and heavily fatigued players. Training will mostly be about recovery not improvement.

Weemac and Hoole to start, Millar, Murray, Pain and Melling without legs... etc

Last edited:

turbo

Weemac and Hoole to start, Millar, Murray, Pain and Melling without legs... etc

I think you're right about being in trouble. I can see Hoole being pushed forward with Murray (if he's ok), mcglinchey playing behind them. Not going to be our best attack but we might be able to get something out of it if we can defend well. I wouldnt rule Millar, Murray, Hoole and Pain out of picking up a goal or two between them. The key will be how the back line and DM area is handled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb