• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R8 away @ Nix

JoyfulPenguin

I don't think investing in some injured or players on the outer is a bad strategy in a capped league if you get them for the right price, but we've invested in some NPL players, some players on the outer from former clubs, some players that are past it and were never going to be what we wanted them to be and still somehow we havent managed to load up our first team talent like Sydney FC did. If we're spending the cap we haven't done so wisely.
What has annoyed me is that it was fine to bring in Gamerio and Aspro but after they have signed bring in two injury replacement players, people like Tasuku Sekiya, Themba Muata-Marlow, Liam Rose, Jacob Tratt, Jeremy Walker, Ross Archibald, Chris Oldfield, Michael Theo. We knew they were both out injured for most of the season so why didn't we do this?

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

I don't think Kossie is up to it in the A-League anymore, he has had a dreadful spell with Brisbane City and he alienates players, something we cannot afford. Give Arthur Papas a go, he has close to the best resume of any NPL coach and has connections overseas. Or make a giant offer to John Anastasiadis, Bentleigh have played better football than us since 2015 and while they do have a fairly large budget it is mostly down to him, apparently he has a very well payed day job that would be hard to tear him away from. I know he is a scummer but Scott Miller stabilised the Jets after a few calmintous seasons, maybe he could do the same for us?

localpom

I suspect they thought we'd be ok until they were ready. Not necessarily great but not the position we're in at the moment either.
Have absolutely no qualms about bringing in Corey and Aspro. They will be assets once fit (Aspro might figure already this weekend). Think defensively we would have been ok with a quality keeper who is well organized.

turbo

I can understand that but surely more options are better than less?
Not arguing with you there but it's a cost the club may not have wanted to incur. With the starting line ups we've seen and how Murray was used prior to the Nix game I can't see a Gameiro replacement getting much game time anyway. I don't know how he fits in to our pecking order up front once fit anyway. Aspro almost back as mentioned by localpom and they, like the rest of us, would have thought Cisse and Golec would get the job done anyway.

turbo

8 rounds in and we’re already talking new manager

The scary thing for me is we don't seem to be building towards something. If a manager wants to transform a team and it takes time to click with a new system there's an end product you get glimpses of and hope for the future. Short term pain for long term gain. Sometimes it never happens or a team loses patience and outs a coach before that happens. Without relegation or high expectations we have the option to be patient but not if it isn't going anywhere. The signings we've made don't sell me on that kind of build either.

JoyfulPenguin

Not arguing with you there but it's a cost the club may not have wanted to incur. With the starting line ups we've seen and how Murray was used prior to the Nix game I can't see a Gameiro replacement getting much game time anyway. I don't know how he fits in to our pecking order up front once fit anyway. Aspro almost back as mentioned by localpom and they, like the rest of us, would have thought Cisse and Golec would get the job done anyway.
If every single other A-League club can afford to sign injury replacement players then I'm sorry but we can too. If we want to be successful in the only part of the club that really matters, the football part, then we need to do these things it's simply non-negotiable. In the last two seasons nearly every club has made the most of this rule, the fact that we haven't despite having numerous opportunities, where most of the time we would have gotten the insurance money for it back later anyway, shows that the balance sheet has become more important than the only thing that should actually matter, the football. We have suffered through austerity measures imposed by Charlesworth, measures that were always said to be temporary, for what? One season when Charlesworth could be actually bothered to slightly care about our performances on the pitch because it might be embarrassing after we got so much attention from Usain Bolt? So many A-League stars have started from these contracts that we are shooting ourselves in the foot by not using them! Mile Jedinak, Ivan Franjic, Joel Chianese, Vedran Janjetovic, Leigh Broxham are just some of the names that when they have got their foot in the door with this opportunity they have made the most of it. We need to do this if we ever want to be competitive again.

style_cafe

I do think we need to at least give Mulvey till at least the end of the season, we can't waiver from the leeway we gave Walmsley or we will scare good coaches off.
I`m with you JP.
All this doom and gloom is depressing.
What we need is Bay 16 back to their best, banners,flags and a crowd that can lift our players.
FFS if PP can`t do it (I`m a big fan of his) then get someone in that can.
Make it a paid job, we need a Capo, we need the Yellow Army,we need the band and we all need to stay positive and cheer our f**king lungs out.
I`m not going down to South Bejing United without a fight

Insertnamehere

I think Kossie was speaking more to whether Charlesworth wants to own a club in the A-League (without directly referencing MC, instead ysing 'The Club/Management')

Prior to him talking about CCM possibly losing the licence Kos was making more of an impassioned plea;
"The fact is ... The Mariners (*MC) have to make a decision now .. this is a management thing now - it's git nothing to do with the Football ...about what sort of team? ..what sort of club do they want to be ? Are they going to represent the Central Coast?

They wanna talk about bringing youngster's in , Mulvey said earlier in the season... "it's good that were putting good Youth Coaches in, we're going to ti develop kids"

That's all well & good, but Lachie Wales is a local boy & he went off to MCity .... & I've heard it was only because of something like $10grand !?!

..... Management need to make the decision (
again only MC can make this decision) about whether they actually really want to be in the A-League ... & be in it seriously.

Bozza's brought up Pro/Rel & said "teams get comfortable"

But the Mariner's can't afford that .. there's too much history in that club, .. there's .. a lot ..well you won a GF with them!(McBreen- 'yep') ... Lawrie McKinna had been in GF's before that, & did a great job building the team into the community there. "

- McBreen went on about CCc ocals talking to him about Charlesworth not investing in a quality squad to 'give it a shake'
- Kossie then went on about the Jets swallowing our area up etc etc

But for me this:

"But the Mariner's can't afford that .. there's too much history in that club, .. there's .. a lot .."

-
from Kossie, shows clearly that he doesnt want us/CCM fcuked off
..... he IS really questioning Charlesworth's commitment imo.
Yeah youre probably right. It’s nearly hump day, it’s about time to start looking forward.
I hope MM rings bulk changes this wk and gives the young fellas waiting in the wings like shamwow and Muz a start.

turbo

If every single other A-League club can afford to sign injury replacement players then I'm sorry but we can too

I wasn’t saying we can’t, rather we won’t. But that said I don’t think the club should have to sign players for Aspro and Corey while they recover, had we done our recruitment better it should be a non issue. We aren’t talking about a Bobo, Ninkovic, Fornaroli or Honda level of player that’s a critical component for the team.

priorpeter

I`m with you JP.
All this doom and gloom is depressing.
What we need is Bay 16 back to their best, banners,flags and a crowd that can lift our players.
FFS if PP can`t do it (I`m a big fan of his) then get someone in that can.
Make it a paid job, we need a Capo, we need the Yellow Army,we need the band and we all need to stay positive and cheer our f**king lungs out.
I`m not going down to South Bejing United without a fight

Can I claim back-pay?

Couple of young fellas have started to step up. It will take time but it will get better.

style_cafe

Can I claim back-pay?

Couple of young fellas have started to step up. It will take time but it will get better.

Hey Pete,
Bring the megaphone mate and give them some practical tuition.
If ever we need to rise to the occasion it`s this weekend!
We need everyone we can get.
United we stand!!!

Rowdy

If every single other A-League club can afford to sign injury replacement players then I'm sorry but we can too.
Wholeheartedly agree JP, especially factoring in the length of time when :
a) Club knew how long it would minimally take Aspro to recover
b) Gameiro's history of repeated breakdowns.

BUT despite these above points being fundamental there is another factor that we/you & I havent taken into consideration, concerning something else you said :

. ... where most of the time we would have gotten the insurance money for it back later

Aspro & Gameiro were both injured PRIOR to CCM signing .... NOT in a million years would an Insurance company cover the cost of the reapairs on a car you just bought full of dents !

As someone else said, these x2 players are not Fornaroli's or Honda's so it's not really cost productive to spend money on replacing a Gameiro or Aspro & that's TRUE .... however .... BECAUSE THAT'S TRUE ..... it should cost cost FCUK ALL to replace them.

So, refer back to my first paragragh.

If someone in Management said " we can't afford to replace them !"
- then they need SOMEONE in Management smart enough to ask the question ... "can we really afford NOT to replace them ??!!"

Last edited:

Wombat

I spoke to Tom today. He is hoping to be back for the Perth game on NYE.

Training was very professional today and there was a really good vibe.

Even the Goalkeeping drills were a step up from normal. I was watching thinking Pearce is the worst of the 4 keepers and then he pulled off 3 beautiful saves in quick succession, so there is some talent in there.

Mario Shabow looks chock full of confidence and i'm expecting a big game from him against the Scummers.

Oar was back and looking sharp but his knee is strapped. Aspro looks 100% now.

I feel alot more confident after today and am going to back us for an upset.

COYY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred