• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R27 - CCM v Heart

true believer

Caceres - showed a little but didn`t really excite in the way Tommy or Amini shone.

frankly styles .i have the highest regard for your commentry.
caceres looked pretty , there was a touch of perez about his work.
the kid has it and injury not withstanding will be one to the great mariners play makers.

Mcdonald i liked what i saw .
Griffihs .heavy touch ,why did he start in front of morten
arnie without the suit and tie . no excuses goal a game.

12th player

A pretty unremarkable game which seldom rose above being mediocre.
With nothing to play for but pride it was interesting to see some of the younger guys get a start.

Caceres - showed a little but didn`t really excite in the way Tommy or Amini shone.
MacDonald- held his own but played within himself preferring to play safe
Griffith-played ok in the first half but lacked the speed & penetration of Rose

Of the regulars I thought Ollie was the MOM.
He was the one that took the game to the Heart & he looked sharp.
Also his switches were very good finding the wide men consistently.

Pedj (bi-polar) looked like he hadn`t played for a month.
Sterj was a passenger & McBreen contributed nothing but the penalty.
Looks like he must have read my post about taking a long run up & belting the be-jesus out of it :)

I was glad for the win,glad to see Arnie rest a few for wednesday nights game & glad to see the penalty hoodoo smashed.
Congratulations to the players,coaches,staff & management for an outstanding season thusfar.
Runners-up in the A-League is no mean feat & you should all be proud of your achievements.

I disagree with your comments about Caceres. Showed a little? Imo he was the reason behind our win tonight. If his set up for mariner's 2nd goal didn't get you excited then you must be very hard to excite. You compare him to Tommy and Musty when the kid has only played 160 mins of HAL.Give him the same amount of opportunities that tommy and musty had and then you can maybe make comparisons. I think he will be bigger than tommy and musty.Time will tell.

Forum Phoenix

Sorry to have missed the game. But watched over a dozen eagles hover over my balcony this morning as fair recompense. Currently in A village in the mountains of Nepal the first I've found that has workIng internet. Sad to hear of the plate. Typical scum. Good to finish with a win though. Bring on the AFC and the post season cup.

Congrats to club and fans on a terrific season.
*raises an Everest beer in toast*
Best
FP

Gratis

I'm keen to see caceres let loose properly and McBreen put the shine on his golden boot
was happy on both counts. caceres just needs time and the kind of confidence ibini came back from bruge with, it'll come. mcdonald had a touch of travis dodd about him for my mind which is no bad thing.how good is dukey going, big fan.
I'm comfortable with pasfield as our eventual first team keeper these days too

Roy Law

Understudies step up

“Come and support the Superheroes of the Central Coast” implored the message but with nothing to play for it was the understudies not the superheroes who were on show.
Superman, Batman and Spiderman might have been there; Marvin the Mascot, Mayor McKinna and Melanie McLaughlin fronted up but not McGlinchey, Ibini, Sainsbury, Rose, Montgomery or Hutchinson, and Ryan and Duke were on the bench. Bojic made a welcome return, Pasfield, Griffiths and Caceres came in and Brad MacDonald made his Mariners’ debut.
Australian sports teams don’t do dead rubbers very well: the Mariners started this game as if doing training drills at Tuggerah; the team walked through their roles being careful not to fluff their lines. It was all very neat and efficient; Caceres impressing with close skills, but there was an absence of malice. Bojic gave Bolton catching practice, cutting in to shoot with his left foot but it was the Heart who woke us out of our easy comfort when Richard Garcia fired a good shot from the edge of the area. It was a regulation save but Pasfield was very professional in the way he turned the ball away. A minute or two later he was much more impressive as Caceres was too slow to move the ball and when Tadic took advantage he brilliantly dealt with the vicious shot.
Heart were working their way back into it when the game changed in an instant: McBreen should have scored, rounding Bolton to shoot but his hurried shot was blocked, he recovered to set up Sterjovski whose shot was also blocked, unfairly as it turned out, by Gerhardt’s arm. The referee gave the penalty – correctly, as the arm denied the goal – but also very harshly gave the red card. If the rules deem an unintentional handball to be worthy of a red card then the rules are wrong. Gerhardt was simply doing what any defender should do, desperately throwing his body in the way of the shot. Arnie went out of his way to commiserate with Gerhardt as he walked off.
Coach John Aloisi didn’t front up to the Heart bench for the second half; he couldn’t: the referee had sent him off after he had persistently remonstrated with the official in the tunnel during the break. I can sympathise with Aloisi but you can’t help wondering if his side showed as much aggression and, well, heart, for 90 minutes they would not be at the bottom of the ladder.
The second half became a much livelier affair when the electric Mitchell Duke came on; he lifted the tempo and the Mariners dominated play. Caceres showed us what all the fuss is about when he brilliantly skipped past three defenders and slid the pass through for Duke to calmly beat Bolton to make it 2-0.
The Mariners were now attacking constantly; Duke was almost away but the old warhorse Colosimo blocked the shot; MacDonald, whose impact on the game grew noticeably, produced a delightful curling shot just wide. Duke had a half chance but volleyed wide; McBreen ran onto Sterjovski’s intelligent pass but couldn’t get the right purchase and Duke again from a half chance went close.
Heart surprisingly came back into it when Garcia clinically beat Pasfield after disappointing work by Bojic and Anderson gave possession to McAllister but the comeback stalled as, of all people, Adrian Pellegrino began to run the show, running at the defence and moving the ball wide quickly and effectively. He almost scored but was denied by an excellent save from Bolton, who also won his mini-duel with Pedj Bojic who twice was on target from free kick moves.
The Mariners deservedly took the points in this final act of the regular season; as Arnie pointed out they finished with more points than last year, a terrific return despite not retaining the Premier’s Plate. With three consecutive wins behind them, and McBreen scoring from the penalty spot, they can face the tough tests ahead with great confidence.
I thought McBreen our best on park but am inclined to give the MoM to an unsung hero, Justin Pasfield, who was cool and professional in a faultless display. I liked the work of Caceres and enjoyed MacDonald, Ollie Bozanic and the irrepressible Duke.

elevated position

frankly styles .i have the highest regard for your commentry.
caceres looked pretty , there was a touch of perez about his work.
the kid has it and injury not withstanding will be one to the great mariners play makers.

Mcdonald i liked what i saw .
Griffihs .heavy touch ,why did he start in front of morten
arnie without the suit and tie . no excuses goal a game.

I agree with your assessment of Caseres, was good and released in the right game and with more of his regular playing partners around him,
I have watched Macdonald in the yoof a lot of times and he brought his style to last nights game, A bit Pedj like with his touch but very energetic and brings something to the midfield that MacGlinchey can't/won't. He buzzes about and will contest a 50/50 and break up the defense and quick enough of thought to convert this into attack.
With Griffiths most of the Yoof games I have watched he played at CB.
Both Macdonald and Griffiths are off contract(unless I missed something) and Arnie gave them an opportunity to impress.

Mmmm...

Caceres was playing in Hutchinson's role, not as an attacking midfielder. He was clearly required not to push up into attack. He played his position effectively with his distribution and showed his ability to make attacking breaks forward where appropriate. He was bustled off the ball on one occasion and does require back-up on the occasions when that might happen. Perhaps he could play as a no 10 - not sure why he is playing that deeper role, but he certainly shouldn't be criticised for not playing like a no 10 if he is not given that position.

style_cafe

I`m not down on Caceres.
I sincerely hope he goes on to become the greatest player we`ve ever produced,as I do with all youngsters that get their opportunity.
At this stage however, & based only on last nights performance, I didn`t think he shone in the way that Tommy or Musti shone in their early days.I also didn`t see in him, what I saw in Sainsbury either.

My observations aren`t just taken on what position he plays as I tend to look more at the basic passing, receiving & movement aspects & other than a 10sec burst that set up Dukes goal, he didn`t stand to me.

In saying that, the kid is obviously a very talented player.I have enough faith in GA to know he wouldn`t just gift a player a start in the top side.
He`s a rough diamond, but it may take him a bit longer to reach the standard set by the others.

kevrenor

Caceres was playing in Hutchinson's role, not as an attacking midfielder. He was clearly required not to push up into attack. He played his position effectively with his distribution and showed his ability to make attacking breaks forward where appropriate. He was bustled off the ball on one occasion and does require back-up on the occasions when that might happen. Perhaps he could play as a no 10 - not sure why he is playing that deeper role, but he certainly shouldn't be criticised for not playing like a no 10 if he is not given that position.
Actually Bozanic started in Hutch's role, and Caceres as mini Monty.

Mumbles

I was very impressed with Hayden Foxe's outfit.

Macdonald stood out for me more so in the first half. Great work ethic.

Roy Law

I didn't give due credit to MacDonald for the lead up to the penalty - intercepted the Heart attack [sic] and raced forward thirty metres before placing an inch perfect pass to McBreen. I thought he grew into the game well, lots of energy and confidence, but rumour had it a while ago he may be moving on.

12th player

Caceres and Dutchie in Bozza's team of the week. Great achievement for the youngster that hasn't even played 2 full games yet.

MagpieMariner

After seeing his (McDonald's) performance I would hope the club would re-sign him. A real pity he hasn't had any 1st team play; I reckon he'd be a useful replacement if (when?) we lose someone like Bernie at season end.

Mumbles

After seeing his (McDonald's) performance I would hope the club would re-sign him. A real pity he hasn't had any 1st team play; I reckon he'd be a useful replacement if (when?) we lose someone like Bernie at season end.

I agree.
He still needs development but the core ingredients are there for Arnie to create another quality young Aussie player.

Wombat

I thought we did very well considering it was mainly a second string side. I thought Heart were pathetic and are very poorly coached.

I thought Olly was our best player.
Pasfield is a decent keeper.
Pedj...looked rusty
Griffo.....was better than in ACL.
Ando....pretty decent but did poorly on their goal.
Dutchy.....classy and dominant
Fitzy.....he was lively but rather sloppy. Gave the ball away a lot.
Caceras....good player and good game. Looks like he will make the grade. Not in musti's class just yet.
Olly....our most dangerous player.
Macca....good penalty and as usual he was busy and efficient. Massive congrats on the Golden Boot!!
Sterj.......much better.
McDonald....very handy debut. Set us the first goal with great run and pass.

How pathetic were The Scum against theDrive Bys!

Now is the time to put the wanderers in their proper place with a flogging in the grand final.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Meh, congrats to the FFA wanderers.

Who would have thought that allowing a team to play under a different set of rules to everybody else would enable them to win? Their premiership is meaningless - let's see how good they are when they're brought down to a level playing field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred