• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R26: Glory vs Mariners

sydmariner

I think the key point is that McFlynn has never left Sydney on loan. I.e. He has only worn their shirt since their inception.
So "The World Game" is technically correct...
But IMHO it's kind of pathetic...

I think Hutchinson* is the best example. Even Archie Thompson** is better in my opinion. But they both left their clubs on loan for several months...and they both missed matches.
But I prefer 2 players who were integral players for their team each season (unlike McFlynn).
They are also both internationals :p

* Hutchinson went on loan to Chengdu Blades in 2011 (during the off-season). IIRC he missed the first several rounds of the 2011/2012 season.
There were suggestions that this helped reduce the Mariner's wage bill for several months.
** Archie Thompson went to PSV in 2006 primarily to try and have a crack at Europe. It also helped him keep fit and match sharp for the 2006 World Cup. He missed the last 4 rounds of the A-league season.
thompson didn't play & the 06 wc though he was in the squad

eenfish

I think the key point is that McFlynn has never left Sydney on loan. I.e. He has only worn their shirt since their inception.
So "The World Game" is technically correct...
But IMHO it's kind of pathetic...

I think Hutchinson* is the best example. Even Archie Thompson** is better in my opinion. But they both left their clubs on loan for several months...and they both missed matches.
But I prefer 2 players who were integral players for their team each season (unlike McFlynn).
They are also both internationals :p

* Hutchinson went on loan to Chengdu Blades in 2011 (during the off-season). IIRC he missed the first several rounds of the 2011/2012 season.
There were suggestions that this helped reduce the Mariner's wage bill for several months.
** Archie Thompson went to PSV in 2006 primarily to try and have a crack at Europe. It also helped him keep fit and match sharp for the 2006 World Cup. He missed the last 4 rounds of the A-league season.

Hutcho and Archie were key players in title winning sides. McFlynn was a bit part to an extremely inconsistent football club. Whats more loyal, sticking with a club because nobody else would have you, or doing short loans because of the chance to prove yourself overseas but still sticking with a team and being a pivotal member in winning trophies?

Last edited:

eenfish

But I digress. The thing that annoyed me most wasn't that McFlynn was called loyal. It was the lack of preface with "one of the most" because it is still up to argument, and also the ignoring the huge sign of loyalty of being a club captain and becoming the first player to do 200 games with one club in the A-League. Do the story on McFlynn, cool. Call him loyal, cool. But focus on him while completely ignoring a massive milestone of loyalty in the A-League? Bullshit.

Hell, in the end, I'm just annoyed we never get the credit we deserve.

Big Al

Why not mention them all in the article buy finishing with players with similar qualities are Hutch CCM Archie MV etc.

Typical article by sydney for sydney

Big Al

That being said you can also blame CCM. They didn't even know Hutch's accomplishment little own ring a journo & say can you write about this for us & Hutch

eenfish

TWG did do a feature on Hutcho earlier in the week. No mention of the 200 games, but as you said Al, even the club and the man himself didn't realise.

And as the Facebook moderator repeatedly pointed out (as their only argument), the article was about McFlynn, so there was no need to mention Hutcho or Archie.

MagpieMariner

It may've been about McFlynn, but that's no excuse for errors of fact. Barlow claiming he was the only A-League one-club man was incorrect & should've been corrected, even by one line at the bottom of the article.

Kareem

thompson didn't play & the 06 wc though he was in the squad
Sure he only made 2 appearances for PSV and he didn't play in the World Cup...
But he still made the right decision for himself and for Australia (Melbourne didn't make finals...their last match was in February)
So I don't think any victory fans would consider him "disloyal"

Kareem

It may've been about McFlynn, but that's no excuse for errors of fact. Barlow claiming he was the only A-League one-club man was incorrect & should've been corrected, even by one line at the bottom of the article.

Did he actually claim that?

I thought it just said that mcflynn was the most loyal.
Which is up for interpretation...somewhat ambiguous
An extremely common occurance in the media :p

Kareem

Hutcho and Archie were key players in title winning sides. McFlynn was a bit part to an extremely inconsistent football club. Whats more loyal, sticking with a club because nobody else would have you, or doing short loans because of the chance to prove yourself overseas but still sticking with a team and being a pivotal member in winning trophies?
I agree completely
I said I thought it was pathetic :p

And lets remember why mcflynn is retiring...
Because the league has passed him by (like it has for many players)

Yet Hutchinson and Thompson will be there next season...
Showing both their talent and their loyalty!

dibo

We're a bunch of sensitive petals on here... McFlynn is the only remaining one-club foundation player.

You can't carve out loan deals or short term deals. McFlynn never wore another shirt after signing for Sydney.

Wombat

Hutcho would have left us for overseas if he had been good enough to have had the offer. Hutcho and McFlynn are similar players and of a similar standard although I'd rate Hutcho the better player.

It has been a good partnership for both. He has stuck loyal and we have also be overly loyal when his form would have lost him his job at most other clubs.

His impeccable performance in the GF win (he is capabable of that form much more often) and his superb form in season 1 will be the highlights thus far.
Along with winding up the Squadrunts and hacking our opponents when it was required on a regular basis.

Hutcho...we salute you.

MagpieMariner

Did he actually claim that?

I thought it just said that mcflynn was the most loyal.
Which is up for interpretation...somewhat ambiguous
An extremely common occurance in the media :p

Quoting from the TWG article:
"Club chairman Scott Barlow said McFlynn was a 'true gentleman' of the game and would always be remembered for his loyalty and dedication to Sydney FC.
"He is the only A-League player to have served just the one club since the inaugural 2005-06 season, which is a huge testament to his loyalty and commitment to Sydney FC," Barlow said.

Unless he was misquoted by TWG (and I can believe that).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred