• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R26: Glory vs Mariners

pjennings

Given that Hutch made no foul against Burns and given that the Kim penalty was at least a penalty, albeit a soft one, the real score would have been 2-1 to CCM. So what could of been a 2-1 win turns into a 3-1 loss.

That would have been incredibly harsh on Perth who on the balance of play were the better side and deserved the win. However the real question is why was such an inexperienced ref given anything other than a dead rubber at the pointy end of the season?

yellowcake

Scum v MV 2-2. We win tonight only WSW can get 2nd off us if they beat Roar. They lose to Roar (I expect them to lose), we have 2nd wrapped up with a win.
Expensive loss. 4 hours ago in 2nd spot.
Lose next week away to the newly crowned Premiers, Adelaide and Victory get any result away against Jets and Welly then Sydney beat Perth at home (all foreseeable), we finish...

...6th

Brighty

Good to see the unbiased coverage from foxsports highlights doesn't show one bit of Bernie's apparent offside either :headbutt::headbutt::redcard::redcard:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I'm thinking my pain meds were handy last night, cause if i'd been awake I woulda smashed the telly....I do remember twitter going mental over the fkn ref though...you would think after all this time the FFA woulda sorted the ref situation..but I guess thats for another thread

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Anderson's own goal was allowed to stand when the offside player caused him to stretch for the ball and yet Bernie's goal was disallowed because Storm who was not involved with play was offside.
Unfortunately that decision was correct - the thing that's hammered into refs is that simply being, or even running for the ball or dragging a player across isn't 'interfering with an opponent'. He'd need to be tackling the ball. Whether that's how it should be or not, it's how the law stands.

The penalty against us? I can see what the ref thought he saw but yeah, absolutely terrible decision. Our penalty was clearcut, can't argue there.

And as for Ibini's offside? Unforgiveable decision. AR's have been sacked for less.

BkdYXvmCAAEQy1t.jpg

pjennings

Unfortunately that decision was correct - the thing that's hammered into refs is that simply being, or even running for the ball or dragging a player across isn't 'interfering with an opponent'. He'd need to be tackling the ball. Whether that's how it should be or not, it's how the law stands.

The penalty against us? I can see what the ref thought he saw but yeah, absolutely terrible decision. Our penalty was clearcut, can't argue there.

And as for Ibini's offside? Unforgiveable decision. AR's have been sacked for less.

BkdYXvmCAAEQy1t.jpg
“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in
the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

I can see how this interpretation supports your point. Anderson was obviously not prevented from playing the ball - but it does seem discordant with the second part of the interpretation.

tsd

Anyone else concerned with Kim's hamstring? Anxiously awaiting news, could easily be his season done.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in
the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

I can see how this interpretation supports your point. Anderson was obviously not prevented from playing the ball - but it does seem discordant with the second part of the interpretation.

I definitely know what you mean. It's like when an offside player clears draws a defender out of position to mark him - still not something you can penalise him for. FIFA's view is that if the defender makes a bad choice because the attacker is there then that's the defender's problem. Influencing the defender isn't interfering with him.

It's probably easier and more consistent that the law is applied this way - and the whole aim of the rewrite years ago was to have fewer whistles for offside. 'Deceiving or distracting' would pretty much be defined as, say, being in their face as they're playing the ball, or running across the keeper's view as the shot is taken. Laws often don't mean quite what you'd think they would at first reading :p

Roy Law

Perth Pop Mariners Balloon
A penalty to Perth that should not have been; a penalty to the Mariners that should not have been; a goal to Perth that should have been disallowed for interfering with play; a goal denied for offside when Ibini was onside. Add a referee making his full A League debut and a distinct lack of assistance from his assistants and you have a recipe for calamity. What you don’t have is an excuse for the Mariners being completely outplayed by Perth.
For almost an hour, until the firecracker Mitchell Duke came on, the Mariners were second best all over the park. They simply didn’t have the legs, didn’t have the enthusiasm to compete. Apart from the penalty they didn’t force goalkeeper into a save in the first half; Liam Reddy was much the busier.
The pace of Chris Harrold and the trickery of Sidnei Sciola was already causing alarm in the Mariners defence when on five minutes Liam Reddy was forced into an awkward save from a fierce cross. As the ball rebounded John Hutchinson and Harrold went for the ball, Hutchinson got there first, the Perth man fell over and the referee blew for a penalty. Hutchinson, in his 200th A League game for the Mariners, was booked for complaining. It wasn’t a penalty, it should have been a no call but that didn’t bother the veteran McGarry who easily beat Reddy from the spot.
A few minutes later he had Reddy going full length after Josh Rose gave away possession; five minutes later Simon casually gave the ball away and Harrold shot wide. Giving away possession was something the Mariners kept doing throughout the first half.
They got it together well enough in the 17th minute with nice football down the right; Sterjovski passed the ball to Kim who fell over when challenged. It was a dive, there was almost no contact, but the referee fell for it and gave a penalty to the Mariners. Fitzgerald’s shot was unconvincing but the keeper went the wrong way.
It only seemed to inspire the Mariners to thuggery: Bosnar cynically chopped down Sydnei and then Simon recklessly clattered McGarry from behind; both got a yellow for their trouble.
Rostyn Griffiths, our Rostyn, the tallest player on the pitch left unmarked at a corner, headed over. Roux produced a marvellous cover tackle coming from the other wing to smother Harrold. The Mariners were struggling: they couldn’t handle Harrold and Sidnei. The midfield had no influence on the game, Caceres was disconnected and Hutchinson seemed subdued by his yellow card. Simon hardly got a touch of the ball. We needed Nick Montgomery. It happened unexpectedly just before half time when Kim appeared to pull a muscle and had to retire from play.
The second half started as the first had finished with the Mariners still giving the ball away. Perth came close when Harrold headed just wide. Duke came on for Simon and both teams upped the ante in search of the winner.
Duke’s impact was immediate, within five minutes he had more touches of the ball than Simon had the whole game. He looked for the ball, he took players on, he made things happen. Caceres began to beat people, combinations formed with Fitzgerald, Roux and Sterjovski. Roux finally forced the keeper into a save with a left foot shot from distance.
Perth responded with a fierce drive from Sydnei that whistled just over; Reddy was well beaten.
In the seventieth minute came calamity! Awful defending allowed Sidnei a free header from close range and he scored. It was just like the Wanderers goal last week; all defenders watching the ball not the man. It is as if the defenders are at the tennis, their heads going from right to left, and back again, as the ball goes across the penalty area. Anderson and Roux hopelessly exposed.
The Mariners tried to drag themselves back into it; Duke shot but didn’t get any purchase. Bernie came on for Fitzgerald. Harrold scorched Roux but shot wide. Rose cut inside for a right foot shot over the bar. And then the referee intervened.
A though ball to Sidnei, who is offside, Anderson sticks out a boot and deflects the ball into his own net. Technically the goal should be disallowed because Sidnei was interfering with play. If he had not been there Anderson would not have tried to intercept the ball. Frankly, I didn’t really care; Perth had looked the more likely and deserved their goal. More insult to injury was added when Bernie’s late goal was disallowed for offside when he was clearly on.
I can’t go too hard at the players; the results of recent weeks have exceeded all our expectations. These players have given their all. The swelling balloon of our optimism after recent results was emphatically popped by the sharp play of Perth. The Mariners, our Mariners, simply could not keep the momentum going after a heavy schedule and the journey to Perth that became even more exhausting because of a diversion to Adelaide. We needed three points today but so did all our rivals; next week’s finale to the regular season is going to be a cracker. Never write off the Mariners.
In a side that struggled for traction throughout I thought Bosnar our best defender, Roux impressed going forward, Duke gave a real lift when he came on but my MoM goes to the ever willing Fitzgerald who did not stop running and competing all game.

eenfish

I'm having a bit of a rage attack here.

Old mate McFlynn announces his retirement, and those nongs who run the World Game facebook have come out and claimed he is the most loyal player in the A-League. They make that claim, but have made no mention of Hutcho's 200 at all over the week. And the bloke whoever that runs their facebook page comes across as a passive wanker. Suck it up, chuck a "one of the" before "most loyal", and admit you guys have snubbed Hutcho's landmark.
But, nah, there is only really two teams in the A-League and they're both in Sydney. The press only like talking about us when they're spouting the same bullshit about our financial woes or alleged move to North Sydney.

sydmariner

Old mate McFlynn announces his retirement, and those nongs who run the World Game facebook have come out and claimed he is the most loyal player in the A-League. They make that claim, but have made no mention of Hutcho's 200 at all over the week. And the bloke whoever that runs their facebook page comes across as a passive wanker. Suck it up, chuck a "one of the" before "most loyal", and admit you guys have snubbed Hutcho's landmark.
But, nah, there is only really two teams in the A-League and they're both in Sydney. The press only like talking about us when they're spouting the same bullshit about our financial woes or alleged move to North Sydney.
:goodpost: So very, very true

Big Al

Bloody ACL - What shit time to give us the week off.

We have been so busy we haven't noticed we were up to 2nd then they give us the week off & say - you have a full week to prepare - you are 2nd & everyone else stubbed there toe & you are playing last place. Just win this & you are clear 2nd.

Mariners all look at each other & panic. With the time off we took a trip to Adelaide & left our effort there.

Big Al

I blame two players in particular for the loss.

1. Kim - Got us back in the game knowing the ref had to even things up. He has spent half the season rolling on the grass so took the perfect opportunity to get some Perth dirt on his shirt. Then pulls a hammy after he'd given up the chase - real wierd one that - The problem I had is Caceras just didn't seem to fit in well at #10. Last week against WSW & this week against Perth he went missing after moving to #10. I'm not convinced his positioning is correct or he doesn't get far enough up the pitch. He is suppose to be the link in the middle but either gets by passed or isn't there.
Last week we pretty much exclusively went storm up the right wing to Duke but Kim did either release Storm or even had a shot from the top of the box even though he muffed it. But I haven't seen Caseras any where near the play. Maybe I just can't see him but feels like he not there

which leads to

2. Storm - His calf cramp cost us big time - We had no thrust up the right wing in the 2nd half when we wanted to play a higher tempo with Duke & then Ibini. Storm was also caught ball watching on the 2nd Glory goal & didn't pick up the run from Sidney until it was to late. I think it was a fatigue error more than mental. He just couldn't get there.
Then he couldn't get over half way because he was nursing his body through the rest of the game.
Then Mossy couldn't bring on Ibini until it was to late because he had to make sure Storm didn't break down.
I reckon Mossy should have gambled on taking Storm off for Berni.
Then when Berni did come on he didn't touch the ball until the 90th min. A player like Berni should touch the ball almost every time we go on the attack when he is so fresh & such a threat. We kept playing down the right to Duke with no Storm instead of using Berni.

Overall we were shit & once again exposed by pace at the back.

A couple of weeks ago being in the finals was a dream now anything less than 3rd is going to be a massive disappointment.

We had a real chance of hosting SFC in Wk 1 or the winner of SFC WSW in week 2. Looks like we could be travelling to Adealaide (our bogey team).

Ahh well - we've won the league, we've won the championship now it's time to win the ACL this A-League stuff is for everybody else. Ha Don't think so

Roy Law

As Hutch is the captain of our ship you can hardly complain if he sails under the radar :innocent:

Big Al

Even Hutch didn't know. Before the game the commentator said congrats & he said what for & then when's that - Mossy was next to him & said congrats (he didn't know either).

Poor if correct that our club didn't even know that. 200 would be a blow job in the AFL (sorry for being rude)

eenfish

Even Hutch didn't know. Before the game the commentator said congrats & he said what for & then when's that - Mossy was next to him & said congrats (he didn't know either).

Poor if correct that our club didn't even know that. 200 would be a blow job in the AFL (sorry for being rude)

Bit lame that the FFA/A-League didn't make a big deal about it.

Funny you should mention the AFL, I saw a banner this weekend celebrating one player's 50th game...

Kareem

I think the key point is that McFlynn has never left Sydney on loan. I.e. He has only worn their shirt since their inception.
So "The World Game" is technically correct...
But IMHO it's kind of pathetic...

I think Hutchinson* is the best example. Even Archie Thompson** is better in my opinion. But they both left their clubs on loan for several months...and they both missed matches.
But I prefer 2 players who were integral players for their team each season (unlike McFlynn).
They are also both internationals :p

* Hutchinson went on loan to Chengdu Blades in 2011 (during the off-season). IIRC he missed the first several rounds of the 2011/2012 season.
There were suggestions that this helped reduce the Mariner's wage bill for several months.
** Archie Thompson went to PSV in 2006 primarily to try and have a crack at Europe. It also helped him keep fit and match sharp for the 2006 World Cup. He missed the last 4 rounds of the A-league season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred