• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R22 F3 Derby away

Ads

* Jem to keep the armband.
* Matty to return as a 65min sub for Muz
* Pain isn’t as effective on the right, needs to be on the left
* Melling actually needs to stay on the pitch I believe to keep some defensive pace in midfield.
* I’d put Aiden as centre back with Aspro and keep Graham on bench as back up.

NoDiggity

* Melling actually needs to stay on the pitch I believe to keep some defensive pace in midfield.
This x10000 or aiden in midfield for melling & rowles CB with Aspro

turbo

Of those who weren't in the squad yesterday, did we miss any of them?

I think we missed Rowles and O’Neill. Those two would have given us some options in our back line and ability to play a 4 rather than 3. Happy enough with Clisby to retain his spot so maybe a 4 will be on the cards again sometime soon. ONeill could drop Graham out depending on form or give more midfield options.

As for Simon - who do you take off to fit him? He wouldn’t have scored the goal Murray did and rarely breaks with any speed. Maybe his distribution can be tweaked to better support sending Murray through and picking up goals on the counter but generally he doesn’t suit that style IMO. I will say that I think he would have been better at holding possession and running down the clock but that’s not a luxury we can afford very often. Sydney used him well under Arnold but I’m not sure even they can afford the luxury of bringing a player like that in their squad at the moment.

Tevor

I think we missed Rowles and O’Neill. Those two would have given us some options in our back line and ability to play a 4 rather than 3. Happy enough with Clisby to retain his spot so maybe a 4 will be on the cards again sometime soon. ONeill could drop Graham out depending on form or give more midfield options.

As for Simon - who do you take off to fit him? He wouldn’t have scored the goal Murray did and rarely breaks with any speed. Maybe his distribution can be tweaked to better support sending Murray through and picking up goals on the counter but generally he doesn’t suit that style IMO. I will say that I think he would have been better at holding possession and running down the clock but that’s not a luxury we can afford very often. Sydney used him well under Arnold but I’m not sure even they can afford the luxury of bringing a player like that in their squad at the moment.
Simon needs to be splinters now, was he really that good at SFC in a team that dominated everyone? I don’t think so, people’s love affair with Simon is just rose coloured glasses. If Simon played last night we would not have won, Jem to keep the arm band for the rest of the season. Sign Muzza he is someone for the future his hold up play for the assist was something else Simon struggles with and probably wouldn’t have done. Great to have that winning feeling, like what Staj said after the game as well, it was so nice to see a coach have a plan and change things up as well as make strategic subs. Hope he keeps it up and now we have something to follow for 5 more games.

turbo

Simon needs to be splinters now, was he really that good at SFC in a team that dominated everyone? I don’t think so, people’s love affair with Simon is just rose coloured glasses.

No rose coloured glasses here, I wouldn’t have signed him at all if it were my team and would have lowballed if he was pushed on me. He worked at Sydney because he was cheap (fit their stacked starting 11) and they usually had a lead to defend and he could hold the ball and break up play aka pressure and foul everyone. In a team like that you pick up a few goals too without pressure.

Tevor

No rose coloured glasses here, I wouldn’t have signed him at all if it were my team and would have lowballed if he was pushed on me. He worked at Sydney because he was cheap (fit their stacked starting 11) and they usually had a lead to defend and he could hold the ball and break up play aka pressure and foul everyone. In a team like that you pick up a few goals too without pressure.
Thanks, I’m sure some will defend him and want him as captain.

turbo

I’m not deliberately putting the guy down, we all see his commitment and he works hard for us but I feel that’s not enough from our senior striker. I assumed he’d be a super sub when announced which I could have lived with but then they made him captain and I couldn’t make sense of locking him in to start. I don’t mean any disrespect when I say signing him as an answer to our goal scoring woes of last season was optimistic at best.

nebakke

Guys, I get that there's excitement and all but look back at the comments a couple of weeks back and there were suggestions that Murray wasn't up to it at all. I'm happy for us to sign him for the future but for mine he's got a ways to go and he was pretty quiet for most of the first half.

Last edited:

nebakke

I’m not deliberately putting the guy down, we all see his commitment and he works hard for us but I feel that’s not enough from our senior striker. I assumed he’d be a super sub when announced which I could have lived with but then they made him captain and I couldn’t make sense of locking him in to start. I don’t mean any disrespect when I say signing him as an answer to our goal scoring woes of last season was optimistic at best.

I don't think he was meant to be the someone l solution, I think McCormack was and given how many of his City goals came from free kicks I thought that was pretty naive but there it is.

MagpieMariner

I like Matty too. On the couple of occasions I've spoken with him off the field, he's been polite, respectful even, to a fan who he doesn't know from a bar of soap. On the field he always busts a gut for the team, drives the others with his passion. However he's not a striker to lead the line and Muzza isn't a strong striker to pair with him like Macca or Sasho. Nor is he fast enough, he wouldn't have got to the through pass that Muzza scored from, nor would he have had the skill to set up Pain as did Muzza. Therefore, Matty shouldn't start again, he should come off the bench from where his height and strength would be a real problem for defenders tired from chasing Muzza for 70 minutes.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I hope this one partially cracking effort by that shitpile kennedy doesn’t secure his employment for next season

Forum Phoenix

This is perfect for me.

Forum Phoenix

Simon needs to be splinters now, was he really that good at SFC in a team that dominated everyone? I don’t think so, people’s love affair with Simon is just rose coloured glasses. If Simon played last night we would not have won, Jem to keep the arm band for the rest of the season. Sign Muzza he is someone for the future his hold up play for the assist was something else Simon struggles with and probably wouldn’t have done. Great to have that winning feeling, like what Staj said after the game as well, it was so nice to see a coach have a plan and change things up as well as make strategic subs. Hope he keeps it up and now we have something to follow for 5 more games.

Staj switched Pain and Mallon. Wasn’t to vary the attack like Slater thought imo. It was because he saw that Georgievski was destroying Mallon and did the only thing he could do to assist. Georgievski had nowhere near as much dominance after that.

This move alone was a really positive sign. But his subs were well timed also. Though we need better than Shabow I’m afraid.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred