• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R2: Sydney FC v CCMFC

Timmah

Lots of discussion time being devoted to an opposition sub.

I'm more concerned about our own backline. I wonder if Faty will be benched for this one?

nebakke

I'm more concerned about our own backline. I wonder if Faty will be benched for this one?

I sort of hope that he is...

If there's reason to doubt him (and I think we can agree that there might be) we need to find out ASAP whether he just had an off day or whether it's just all that he can do now... What better way to do that than in a game against a team that he CLEARLY wants to beat... If his performance is mediocre this weekend, Paulo might need to have a serious think about how to best deal with this.
If he can perform agains the Smurfs though, we can work on it from there... But better to properly identify his state, early in the season, than in March.

Forum Phoenix

Okon did also say in his presser that he was underdone - having missed two weeks. And then the cork... but he's a CB in his first 45 mins. How under done can you be?

Much better for us if he comes good, but not feeling overly optimistic.

Luca Brasi

Central Coast Mariners Squad: 1. Ivan NECEVSKI (gk), 2.Storm ROUX, 4.Jacob POSCOLIERO, 6.Blake POWELL, 7.Fabio FERREIRA, 8.Nick MONTGOMERY (c), 9.Roy O’DONOVAN, 10.Mickael TAVARES, 11.Connor PAIN, 12.Trent BUHAGIAR, 13.Kwabena APPIAH, 14.Adam BERRY, 15.Brad McDONALD, Jacques FATY, 20.Paul IZZO (gk), 21.Michael NEILL, 22.Jake McGING, 25.Ryan PETERSON (NYL)
**two to be omitted**

Ins: 7.Fabio FERREIRA (return from injury), 15.Brad McDONALD (promoted)

Outs: NIL

Unavailable: 16.Liam Rose (international duty – 3 weeks), 23.Jake Adelson (ACL – indefinite)

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...g63s7h151khn1m19t59gkicrp#W6j8Ecv6L2OI5IWB.99

localpom

Okon did also say in his presser that he was underdone - having missed two weeks. And then the cork... but he's a CB in his first 45 mins. How under done can you be?

Much better for us if he comes good, but not feeling overly optimistic.
He looked really good in his first season with Sydney, then the first half of last season. I think he's got the quality we need but hasn't been playing enough football. Time to rediscover his best form this weekend.......

Forum Phoenix

Wondering what GA'a game plan will be. We're still trying to get our playing style together and not expecting much tactical diversity yet. So seems clear what we will try and do.

Arnies sides don't typically press - but against us I wonder if he's thinking: they will try and play through us but will make mistakes, so we just have to stay tight and make them pay. Or does he want to put us under pressure to force our cracks like roar and AU typically do.

After last game the obvious will be to shut down Taveres and we will be bereft of impetus. Interested to see how Okon counters this through the movement of monty and Powell and I think the importance of your CB's being able to ball carry forward if they're focused on closing the channels to taveres and co.

Rowdy

I'd be comfortable & more than happy if Budgie gets a start again, he was brilliant last week & wasn't over-awed one bit.

Will perhaps make Fab put in a better performance off of the bench.

Starting him could initiate a change in Fab's mindset of having to work a lot harder than he did last year, thinking he has to earn back his spot.

We need to see that change in him if were to rise above last season

Rowdy

Sydney FC yet to concede a goal with Wilkinson:
gettyimages-612776504.jpg

Sydney FC signed veteran Australia international Alex Wilkinson to tighten up their defence and his play so far is paying dividends.

In the three competitive games Wilkinson has played in since joining Sydney FC, the Sky Blues are yet to concede a goal, with their strong defence a somewhat overlooked component of their 4-0 defeat of Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday.

"You pride yourself on clean sheets. Arnie likes to have his teams defensively well-organised, but we can still be better than what we have been. Western Sydney created a few chances," Wilkinson told AAP .

"It's obviously a good start to show that the structures are in place that things are starting to work without us conceding, but there's a lot of improvement left in us still."
After a short stint with Melbourne City last season, the central defender reunited with his former Central Coast Mariners coach Graham Arnold in his hometown of Sydney.

"I'm originally from Sydney and my wife's from Sydney, so after being away for four years in Asia, it was nice to be back home. It's good to have that support network," he said.

"And also obviously knowing Arnie and a lot of the players here, it made it a good decision both professionally and personally."

Sydney FC will take on some familiar faces with Mariners trio Jacques Faty, Mickael Tavares and Ivan Necevski all members of the Sky Blues last season and Wilkinson believes they will have a point to prove against their former club.

"Always when you come up against your old club, you want to play well and you want to perform. I'm sure that'll be no different for the guys who left here and went up there," he said.

"I'm sure they'll come out and want to impress."

dibo

Wondering what GA'a game plan will be. We're still trying to get our playing style together and not expecting much tactical diversity yet. So seems clear what we will try and do.

Arnies sides don't typically press - but against us I wonder if he's thinking: they will try and play through us but will make mistakes, so we just have to stay tight and make them pay. Or does he want to put us under pressure to force our cracks like roar and AU typically do.

After last game the obvious will be to shut down Taveres and we will be bereft of impetus. Interested to see how Okon counters this through the movement of monty and Powell and I think the importance of your CB's being able to ball carry forward if they're focused on closing the channels to taveres and co.
They don't do a high press. What they do is organise their blocks to be hard to play through and try to force long angled balls or counters up the flanks.

We've got Tavares' passing range and Pain and Buhagiar (or I think more likely Ferreira) to attack on the flanks, so I think there's some action likely there.

But what will hurt us is that Sydney themselves showed exceptional speed on the counter last weekend and our defence (including an underdone Roux, a sometimes shaky Neill, an undersized Poscoliero and either an out-of-form Faty or an inexperienced McGing) looks tasty for the attackers.

In spite of the article above, I don't see either side keeping a clean sheet in this one. I reckon we go down 3-1, with us getting the 1 as a late consolation.

FFC Mariner

When Wanderers went wide last week they got SFC on the back foot. Sadly, they just kept turning it back inside or stuffing up the crossing (or worse gave it to Nicholls to lose it)

SFC had a really high line as Wanderers have no pace - we do and I would expect them to sit a bit deeper - especially if Trent plays.

A competitive defeat is progress from last season

Big Al

Exactly what I was thinking

Do we put the Faty back in
Or
Leave the Faty out

I'm in favour of putting the Faty back in

Rowdy

I'd start Faty, if he cant lift for his 1st up game against his former club that discarded him then ....

Big Al

SFC will not AU or Roar press us. Holosko and Bobo don't suit that style.

Posco does well against strong physical attackers like Bobo as He likes the physical side as well. Doesn't like Maclaren or Fornaroli types.

I think Fab should start on the bench coming back from injury and Trent was good and deserves another go although I think SFC will be more physical with him which he doesn't like.

Also last week there was debate about who would take central striker if Roy was injured. We all forgot about Powell. Peterson apparently plays attacking mid in the academy team, so he can push into #10 and Powell up to central striker or you can push Trent inside and bring on Fab.

I'd go with the same starting 11
My subs would be Izzo, McGing, Peterson and Fab

Peterson over Berry for versatility

Although Buddgie might have HSC priorities - Not sure when that starts but thought it was soon

style_cafe

SFC will not AU or Roar press us. Holosko and Bobo don't suit that style.

Posco does well against strong physical attackers like Bobo as He likes the physical side as well. Doesn't like Maclaren or Fornaroli types.

I think Fab should start on the bench coming back from injury and Trent was good and deserves another go although I think SFC will be more physical with him which he doesn't like.

Also last week there was debate about who would take central striker if Roy was injured. We all forgot about Powell. Peterson apparently plays attacking mid in the academy team, so he can push into #10 and Powell up to central striker or you can push Trent inside and bring on Fab.

I'd go with the same starting 11
My subs would be Izzo, McGing, Peterson and Fab

Peterson over Berry for versatility

Although Buddgie might have HSC priorities - Not sure when that starts but thought it was soon

Wouldn`t you just start with Budgie, then he use that game as prac for his HSC..:popcorn:

Gratis

Apparently Faty didn't train until yesterday and was 'under an injury cloud'. No doubt fearing injury rain and requiring an injury umbrella for insurance.

Odds are leaning away from him starting methinks

Rowdy

Tavares insists he has nothing to prove to Arnold:
gettyimages-613295202.jpg

Mickael Tavares insists he and cousin Jacques Faty aren't angry at Graham Arnold for letting them go, but believes he can help new A-League club Central Coast Mariners exploit Sydney FC's weaknesses.

The Senegalese duo and goalkeeper Ivan Necevski will come face to face with Arnold this Saturday for the first time since being offloaded by him the end of last season.

Arnold said on Thursday there were no hard feelings about his decision, made after Tavares and Faty's form dropped well below that of their standout 2014-2015 campaign.

Tavares was adamant he wasn't looking to make a statement to his former coach, but indicated he might have more to say after the match.

"I think everyone is expecting this, but I have nothing to prove," Tavares said.

"Arnie knows what I can do, and I know as well.

"But it's about getting the three points; it's not about my personal performance ... it will be easier to speak after the game. Before the game, I don't want to say so much.

"We're not angry - it's football.

"This is in the past; now I'm enjoying football at the Mariners; I'm still playing and I'm lucky to be here."

Tavares admitted it would be weird to return to Allianz Stadium and play in front of fans who used to support him.

But he fired a warning to Sydney, expecting them to fall into trouble combating a Paul Okon-inspired Central Coast who sensationally snatched a 3-3 opening-round draw with Perth last weekend despite being three goals down.

"I know almost all the Sydney team so they know it's not going to be easy this weekend," Tavares said.

"It's always an advantage, because I know their strengths, but I also know their weaknesses."

The trio's return to Allianz will add spice to an already feisty fixture against a Sydney set-up featuring seven former Mariners members.

Central Coast's all-time leading goalscorer Matt Simon, who bagged a memorable brace against his former club last campaign, is joined at Sydney by former Mariners captain Alex Wilkinson, winger Bernie Ibini and goalkeeper Danny Vukovic.

In the Sky Blues' football department is ex-Mariners championship-winning coach Arnold, goalkeeping mentor John Crawley and strength and conditioning coach Andrew Clark.

Rowdy

Brosque and Ibini could start against Mariners:
gettyimages-613291860.jpg

Sydney FC skipper Alex Brosque could be in line for his first A-League start since February when the Sky Blues aim to back up their epic Sydney derby win against Central Coast Mariners.

Brosque, who has recovered from off-season hamstring surgery, scored a fourth unanswered goal against Western Sydney Wanderers during a 20-minute cameo off the bench last weekend.

With powerful winger Bernie Ibini also vying for selection after overcoming a broken leg, Graham Arnold has some tough selection decisions to make about who of his fully stocked attack to deploy against the Mariners at Allianz Stadium on Saturday.

"Brosquey is in really good shape, obviously confidence is high, we know how important he is to the team," Arnold said.

"Bernie Ibini is also ready to play, so I've got a couple of headaches between now and the game to decide on the starting line-up and the squad for Saturday, with one eye on the FFA Cup (semi-final) next Wednesday."

Arnold quickly brought his players down to Earth after last Saturday's win over the Wanderers, a 4-0 drubbing in front of a record crowd at ANZ Stadium.

The challenge now is proving they can be consistent, a quality they lacked last season.

Arnold said he made it clear there would no complacency as the Sky Blues prepare for a traditionally feisty fixture with the club he coached to the 2012-2013 season.

They could be tested by a Paul Okon-coached Mariners that came back from three goals down to draw 3-3 with Perth, in a performance Arnold described as "big-hearted".

And there's no shortage of player crossover to add spice.

Former Sydney men Jacques Faty, Mickael Tavares and Ivan Necevski were all snapped up by now-sacked Mariners coach Tony Walmsley after they were let go by Arnold at the end of last season.

Meanwhile, Central Coast's all-time leading goalscorer Matt Simon is with Sydney while off-season recruits Ibini, Alex Wilkinson and Danny Vukovic started their A-League careers in Gosford.

Arnold said there were no hard feelings towards his former trio, indicating their departure was no more than a business move to ensure he got his roster right.

"Jacques and Mickey did a fantastic job for us in the first year they were here, we obviously know what their strengths are," Arnold said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred