• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R16 away @ Adelaide

Kalvin

Good effort overall by the lads tonight i thought...

However not sure what Mm is thinking:
- bringing on Mcglinchey for hoole (don't get me wrong hoole should have come off) but surely for kek
- then bringing on a defender for a striker? Whats the point of kek being on bench if we are using defenders in attacking positions????

Also kudos to Bk for some quality saves tonight (been a while since we said that)!

Forum Phoenix

Good effort overall by the lads tonight i thought...

However not sure what Mm is thinking:
- bringing on Mcglinchey for hoole (don't get me wrong hoole should have come off) but surely for kek
- then bringing on a defender for a striker? Whats the point of kek being on bench if we are using defenders in attacking positions????

Also kudos to Bk for some quality saves tonight (been a while since we said that)!

He's turning to senior players in a tight game where he's desperate to get a point. Clisby for Murray was a defensive move. I understand the reasoning, but I think his faith in weemac hoole Kennedy and to some degree Melling and Matty is misplaced.

For mine, in most areas Mike is doing very well, but I think this misplaced faith in several players is his biggest issue.

He should have made subs at 60 though, said it at the time, sure it was obvious to many on here. A manager has limited means to impact upon a game once it's underway, but a substitution to break the rhythm of a side when they are starting to gain ascendancy is one of them.

Sad to see Millar and Tom let Galloway run through them and cost us a point but we did well for a lot of the game. However even when in front you still need to force your opponent respond to you and take the initiative, not just let them have it all their way and grow in confidence. Despise when teams sit deep and the are routinely punished as a result.

Anyway much improved, looking forward to Gem, but we need a consistent goal scorer... Hopefully Oar will be back so that Melling and Hoole drop to the bench.

Last edited:

Wombat

Gillett graduated with a PhD in Biomechanics from The University of Queensland in December 2018, which focused on children with Cerebral Palsy. Gillett has been offered and accepted a position at Liverpool John Moore's University, where he will continue his research

Feel like an arsehole yet?

No, why would he, Gillett is a terrible Ref. His personal life is no reflection on his inability to ref a game correctly.

MrCelery

Same old. Same old.

A reasonable effort for the first 45. But when you fail to turn up after halftime, and your MOM surely is Kennedy who saved us innumerable times, it says a lot about the tactics employed, the quality of the halftime talk, and our fitness levels.

Mulvey thinks we are on an upward swing. Sorry, but I think we are flatlining.

Wombat

We played pretty well tonight and should have at least have got a draw.

Interesting points of the game...Matty Simon would have scored early in the first half but Adelaide had a defender on the post..............can we PLEASE learn from that!
Rowles made a superb goal line clearance after a woeful attempt at a save from Kennedy.
Kennedy made some really good saves in the second half.
On the first goal we conceeded we had two players not defending at all ( I always only had 1) and then inexplicably when we failed to clear properly another 2 players ran away from the ball leaving a host of Adelaide player free to tap in at will..............meaning we had 4 players not defending. Now that is piss poor!!!!!!!
The first sub should have been made at 55-60 min as our midfield had surrendered control.
Millar and Tommy did a terrible job on the extra time goal.

Kennedy 7. Some excellent saves when his defence dissolved.
Rowles 6. His goal line clearance was world class and he did alot of good stuff but he is far to inexperienced to play in a back 3. Sketchy at times.
Aspro 7. Good solid game.
O'Neill 6.5. Not used to playing in this position and positionally suspect when under pressure but also a very assured player. I'd turn him into a traditional RB in a proper back four and he could play for Australia for 50+ games.....needs to learn but is picking it up at a very fast rate. Discipline needs work.
Melling 6. Gave the ball away poorly a few times but also did alot of good work.
Tom 7. Terrible on the winning goal but apart from that pretty good.
Hoole 6. Terrific goal and i thought he tried harder today but he still shat me.
Murray 5.5. Very hard working but again i'm not impressed.
Millar 7. Mixed game and i found him at fault for both goals but i also thought he defended quite well today. As usual our most direct threat.
Simon 7. Terrific effort.
Pain 6. Very average tonight.

Very hard to pick a MOM. I'd give a beer to Kennedy, Aspro, Miller and Simon and maybe a shandy to God.

true believer

We played pretty well tonight and should have at least have got a draw.

Interesting points of the game...Matty Simon would have scored early in the first half but Adelaide had a defender on the post..............can we PLEASE learn from that!
Rowles made a superb goal line clearance after a woeful attempt at a save from Kennedy.
Kennedy made some really good saves in the second half.
On the first goal we conceeded we had two players not defending at all ( I always only had 1) and then inexplicably when we failed to clear properly another 2 players ran away from the ball leaving a host of Adelaide player free to tap in at will..............meaning we had 4 players not defending. Now that is piss poor!!!!!!!
The first sub should have been made at 55-60 min as our midfield had surrendered control.
Millar and Tommy did a terrible job on the extra time goal.

Kennedy 7. Some excellent saves when his defence dissolved.
Rowles 6. His goal line clearance was world class and he did alot of good stuff but he is far to inexperienced to play in a back 3. Sketchy at times.
Aspro 7. Good solid game.
O'Neill 6.5. Not used to playing in this position and positionally suspect when under pressure but also a very assured player. I'd turn him into a traditional RB in a proper back four and he could play for Australia for 50+ games.....needs to learn but is picking it up at a very fast rate. Discipline needs work.
Melling 6. Gave the ball away poorly a few times but also did alot of good work.
Tom 7. Terrible on the winning goal but apart from that pretty good.
Hoole 6. Terrific goal and i thought he tried harder today but he still shat me.
Murray 5.5. Very hard working but again i'm not impressed.
Millar 7. Mixed game and i found him at fault for both goals but i also thought he defended quite well today. As usual our most direct threat.
Simon 7. Terrific effort.
Pain 6. Very average tonight.

Very hard to pick a MOM. I'd give a beer to Kennedy, Aspro, Miller and Simon and maybe a shandy to God.

aspro got schooled
hoole should have been sub before melling . he made less than 50% of his passes
mcclinchy and clisby mabe no impact . we can't defend for shit and the only way to remove the
pressure we faced was , threat at the other end .
kekeris was the only player we had that could do this .
instead we tried the mm failed path thats lacks any vision and got beat again

soccer mad

Hard to say how feel about the game it just feels like groundhog day, I'm almost fearful when we score first because we just can't see out the game . I can't question the commitment by most ,but Adelaide second goal was made to easy when Galloway got past two defenders . Where not protecting the margins or optimising percentage points the amount of turnover in the game was high which invites more pressure, we dont play the ball simply when we need to, and the team lacks discipline in crucial moments. I have cut Mulvey some slack in recent weeks but I'm still not convinced.

Big Al

Kennedy had a pretty good game however I might be being harsh but on the first goal he saved a tame header I think and instead of catching it and taking it to ground he pushed it around the post. I said to myself that was poor i bet we concede from the corner and we did.

We looked suspect on every corner.

ONeill not being a CB comes unstuck at corners. To short and inexperienced as a CB for corners. Also Goodwin gave him real problems.
We need another proper CB ASAP and Rowles should not be starting regularly. He is young but gets skinned a lot and makes bad passes.

The better quality opposition made our back three look more suspect.

Overall a very scrappy game where AU played to our level but the passing by our boys was woeful but we broke down there play pretty well

Big Al

Kennedy has a good game and VAR goes our way and we still blow it in extra time.

Thats perth and AU we have lost to away from home in winning positions in extra time and both top 6 teams

Coastalraider

Our breakdown play was actually very good for the most part, or press was good for 60 odd minutes until fatigue kicked in. But our lack of quality shows when we press and breakdown we’ll, but 1 in 3 passes don’t get to a Mariners player.

That stat is simply not good enough.

Its one things when a quality oposition presses well or blocks you lanes, but so many of our passes looked rushed and were guided to an area of the field that didn’t actually have a Mariners player in it.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I think the heat induced short sessions are killing us ....and that’s my story and I’m sticking to it
P.S i hate the possibility that Hooles once a year scorching goal will save his job , I mean if he ain’t in Mulvey plans, he would of binned him by now

Last edited:

Big Al

Our breakdown play was actually very good for the most part, or press was good for 60 odd minutes until fatigue kicked in. But our lack of quality shows when we press and breakdown we’ll, but 1 in 3 passes don’t get to a Mariners player.

That stat is simply not good enough.

Its one things when a quality oposition presses well or blocks you lanes, but so many of our passes looked rushed and were guided to an area of the field that didn’t actually have a Mariners player in it.
In the first half we had a lot of possession in good positions from forced turnovers then we gave it right back. MV would have killed AU with possession in those areas

Ozhammer

Another game where the result was hard to take eh? Big effort from a weary group and another simple error costing us getting anything from the game (sound familiar?).

As much as the loss felt like another installment of the death by a thousand cuts that this season has turned into, I am mindful of the impact the the Fox-enforced Summer of Football schedule has had on the team. We already had one of the thinnest squads (in terms of our quality depth), which has been reduced further by injuries to some key players, so I will accept that has made getting results harder of late.

I get that many fans are bemoaning the lack of promised signings to strengthen the squad but I can also appreciate the job MM must be having in persuading players to sign with us, given our current situation and recent history. I would far rather we didn’t sign anyone than bring in more duds, just to watch them add nothing to the team.

As much as I am trying to stay positive about things, if Hoole continues to start, then something is deeply wrong on that front. He has rightly benched Weemac but continues to persist with that one trick pony, much to our collective frustration. This is hopefully solely down to our lack of depth at present and is something that can be fixed with our new signing and as other players return from injury. Just think how much better our midfield would look with Tom H, Tom O, O’Neil and Jem (assuming the reality matches the hype) in it, perhaps allowing us to exert more control of the middle third. That increased control would in turn take pressure of the back 3 and allow more support for our attackers. That might sound simplistic but the bare truth is that most games are won or lost in midfield, which is where we currently lack the most quality. One good midfielder cannot do it on their own, the whole midfield needs to contribute, even if the individual players’ attributes might be subtly different (dogged ball winner/tackler, silky mover, killer pass maker etc).

Hopefully, we might get to see the team take that sort of shape in the coming weeks and it would be great to see the team’s performances and results lifting in turn, thus building some positive momentum into the back half of the season. If only MM could add a proven goal scorer to the mix, we could honestly have hope of climbing towards 7th. At the risk of sounding ‘greedy’ I would be even happier if we added a quality goalkeeper to give the defence greater confidence, as Kennedy simply isn’t up to the standard required, despite having a decent game yesterday. He will never command his area and defence and just isn’t positive enough at key moments when called into action, so whilst he could be a solid No. 2 he is not a starting keeper sorry.

MVC will be another tough game this weekend and I worry that it may take the boys longer to recover from the recent rapid succession of games than some other teams, given the repeated number of minutes some of our best players have been forced to play due to lack of cover, as that must take its toll.

I will remain positive, all the time I can see that the boys are giving what they can but MM needs to be playing our best players week in week out, once they are available, or we will end up spooning again this season and that is simply not acceptable.

Insertnamehere

In the first half we had a lot of possession in good positions from forced turnovers then we gave it right back. MV would have killed AU with possession in those areas
Cos hole kept running into dead ends then losing the ball. He’s an absolute liability.
I was going to correct the misspelling of hooles name but hes the player where good buildups go to die

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

I think the heat induced short sessions are killing us ....and that’s my story and I’m sticking to it
P.S i hate the possibility that Hooles once a year scorching goal will save his job , I mean if he ain’t in Mulvey plans, he would of binned him by now
Now we're back to weekly games we can take it as a positive. We will be fitter than we have been all season. Small consolation but might help us nab 4 or 5 wins through the next 11/12 games.

Antlion

Watching the early press we disrupted AU very well. It was clear we could never keep up that energy though so it was a real gamble.
With all the pins lining up the way they were we were very likely to lose this game regardless - so probably a worthwhile gamble. Shame it didn't come off.

Wombat

Not really Davey boy......we are short on bodies and Hoole has experience and is not afraid. I'm sure that the return of Oar and the arrival of Gem will see both Melling and Hoole become the squad fillers that they really are.

Hoole is a useful player for a 20 min burst off the bench.
Melling would be useful when you could assign him to man mark a player like Honda (or screen a zone) like a rabid dog.

If we get a CB then we dont need to sacrifice O'Neill to shore up our defence. A midfield of Gem, Aiden, God, Millar, Pain and Oar is pretty impressive.
We also have Shabow and Nisbet fighting for scraps.

Hoole and Melling should only come into the equation when we have injuries.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred